Sharing my collection of Italian Somalia Stamps

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: Justin, snaws, Volunteer Moderator Team

ingegné
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by ingegné »

Hi everybody,

I'm new on this forum but been collecting stamps for a long time.

I specialize in Italian Somalia: stamps, postal history, military postage, postal steamships, air mail, cancellations and anything related with this former Italian Colony.

I'd like to show you part of my collection that I prepared for exhibition and won a large vermeil the first time I showed it in an Italian contest. Now I'm working on it because my ambition is to get a Gold medal!

Unfortunately, it will take me some time to translate the text and prepare the JPEGs, so I will upload a few pages every week, that could keep alive your interest (I hope)

Due to the limitations in size allowed for by the forum, I had to reduce the images, but clicking on any image you will be linked to the full size one.

I hope you will enjoy and will be happy to hear your comments and suggestions to improve my Italian Somalia Stamp collection in any aspect.

Enlargement of the Italian Somalia essays

goof
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Re: My collection of Italian Somalia

Post by goof »

Hi ingegne

Well done on you large vermeil a great achievement. I'm looking forward to learning more of these issues.

Thanks for sharing

Mick

jjarmstrong47

Post by jjarmstrong47 »

Me too! If the first part is representative, we are in for a treat.
Where do the years go? I went from philandering to philately and didn't even notice.
http://www.engravedstamps.net

ingegné

Post by ingegné »

So we go for the second chapter. If I can improve my english translation, please let me know.

pookie9121
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by pookie9121 »

This is fantastic so far. Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to see more.

Cheers,
Erik
Enjoy every minute

ingegné

Post by ingegné »

goof/Mick, jjarmstrong47, pookie9121/Erik

Many thanks for your appreciation. I will try to upload more pages this week and hope I will not deceive you in the future.

Do you know if any other forumer is collecting Italian colonies? I searched a lot, but could not find anything related.

jjarmstrong47

Post by jjarmstrong47 »

I have wondered why there were so many overprints on these and your display shows a clear logical progression through a series of necessary changes. (I'd always thought they might have been done to catch collector dollars :oops: )

This is a great resource for those of us interested in Italian postal history. I have never seen this information in the catalogues. Thank you. Gold should not be too far away.
Where do the years go? I went from philandering to philately and didn't even notice.

ingegné

Post by ingegné »

Thank you John,
In fact gold is only 2 points far, but I start with a handicap: according to the FIP regulations
In assessing the importance of the exhibit consideration is given to:
a. How much of the key material of the chosen subject is present.
b. The significance of the subject within the philately of the country or area exhibited.
c. The significance of the subject on a worldwide scale.
Somalia is considered of minor importance in the Italian and world philately, so it looks like I cannot get more than 5 points over 10 for "importance". That lets me only 12 points to work with, so I will probably be able to reach the gold medal, but the large one will be rather difficult to attain.

Regarding the informations about the story of the "Elephant and Lion" series that you found in my collection, I have no special merit (if not putting them in the correct order) because they are rather easy to put togheter with Italian specialized books and internet sites. I hope that you will find more useful and unique informations going on.

laurent
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by laurent »

hello,

very nice and interesting !

Laurent :roll:

phrag99
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by phrag99 »

This is a wonderful display and I like the write-up, too.

Please look again at the heading on page , after the enlarged essays. The date is in Italian and the following description needs improving.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Sharing my collection of Italian Somalia Stamps

Post by Global Administrator »

Great stuff! My Italian skills are near zero and your English is very good. You did ask for suggestions, and these are small, but if shown to English language Judges will help!

We use the term "Cancelled To Order" for your caption and outline. Also -

These CTO stamps are readily distinguishable from those cancelled in the Colony.

ingegné

Post by ingegné »

Thank you phrag99,
I will take care of this. I was just too anxious to post and noticed the non translated dates only after uploading.

Thank you Sheriff,
I will do the corrections and upload the new pictures to Photobucket and then ask you or someone of the staff to replace the URLs

Hallo Laurent,
Very nice to meet you on this Forum. I saw that you registered just a few days before me. I will look for your threads that, for sure, will be great as usual!

Forumers, be aware, we got a fantastic new contributor!!

yannis
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by yannis »

This is an excellent thread. Just to add a note for those that are interested there is a book in English for Italian Somaliland by Giorghio Migliavacca, The Stamps of Somaliland their Story .

Also a minor point on the map it should read "Ethiopia" and not "Etiopia'.

ingegné

Post by ingegné »

Thank you yannis, but the translation from Italian to English is done, at least for the moment, just because the official language of this forum is English.

Otherwise I would have linked the url where the complete collection is already viewable in its original Italian version.

I thought it was not worth to redraw the map (that I love very much because it was hand drawn by my father some 60 years ago), just because the Country and city names are spelled in Italian.

By the way, the core of the collection spans from 1932 to 1941 and, after the 1936 Italo-Ethiopian war, the official name of the Governorate was exactly Etiopia.

If I will decide to exhibit my collection in a contest where the full english text is needed I will probably use a different map.
Last edited by ingegné on 29 May 2014 03:44, edited 1 time in total.

yannis

Post by yannis »

Thanks Ingegné.

I find this area fascinating, especially during the War and I understand you do not collect the period. You have a lovely collection and I am looking forward to your future posts. Is there a chance to scan some of the elephant and lion stamps larger? They are beautiful stamps and deserve a bit more space;)

ikanek

Post by ikanek »

Global Administrator wrote:Great stuff! My Italian skills are near zero and your English is very good. You did ask for suggestions, and these are small, but if shown to English language Judges will help!

We use the term "Cancelled To Order" for your caption and outline. Also -

These CTO stamps are readily distinguishable from those cancelled in the Colony.

You have a very nice display. :D

As Glen suggests there are some words and phrases which should not be here as it is now. Please, don´t take it as my pedant notes. I used to check my write-up (as English is also not my native language) by a native speaker.

For example, I would rather write "Proofs" than "Archive tests". For me, also the sentence about the currency is unclear. It should read: "The currency in Somalia, the rupee" was divided into 16 annas and 1 anna into 4 besas." Or possibly just a brief notice: 1 Rupee = 16 annas = 64 besas.

The judges at show prefer clear and concise write-up and I know it is sometimes very difficult to do.

ingegné

Post by ingegné »

So, thanks to everybody for the appreciation and let's go for chapter 3 (the last one for this week).

The supply of "Elephant and Lion" stamps was lasting, even if they survived as long as year 1932 (and I have also a couple of them on untaxed letters of 1936, when their validity was ended since 4 years)

The definitive series loudly asked by Italians living in Somalia and by the Governor (all the other Italian colonies had their own stamps since a long time) never arrived, so it was necessary to find a solution. Instead of re-running the Benadir stamps, it was decided to use Italian stamps and overprint them. At least it was possible to use the right name of the colony.

yannis wrote:I find this area fascinating, especially during the War and I understand you do not collect the period.
As long as we speak of Italian Somalia, I DO collect the war period. The matter is that the war in East Africa was lost by Italy in the early years of WW II and Somalia was the first Governorate to fall.
Mogadiscio was occupied by the British Army on February 25th 1941 and by early march British forces has captured most of the Colony. By the way, my father served in the Italian army, was taken prisoner in Chisimaio and was detained in a POW camp in Kenya until 1946 and I have in my collection also a POW section.

The Italian postal service ended when Mogadiscio was captured, together with the use of Somalia and AOI (Africa Orientale Italiana - Italian East Africa) stamps.
AOI stamps were overprinted "British Occupation" by the South Africa Command but the British Military Administration did not approve.

The postal service was resumed by the British army only for military postage (using British stamps) and, after some months, for the East Africa POWs with a franchise postmark.
The civil postage service was resumed only on 13 April 1942 using British stamps of 1937 overprinted M.E.F. (Middle East Forces) up to 31 December 1942 and overprinted E.A.F.(East Africa Forces) in the years 1943 - 1946.
yannis wrote:Is there a chance to scan some of the elephant and lion stamps larger? They are beautiful stamps and deserve a bit more space;)
I already posted the large scans of the proofs and, other than the overprints, all the stamps look the same. Anyway I will post something more next week for you.
ikanek wrote:As Glen suggests there are some words and phrases which should not be here as it is now. ...........

The judges at show prefer clear and concise write-up and I know it is sometimes very difficult to do.
Thank you ikanek,
As I told before, for the moment I'm not thinking to the judjes at show. Maybe I will have this problem in a year or so and in the meantime I will have reorganized the whole collection and increased its size from 72 to 84 pages.

For the moment I'm happy if you can understand what I mean :)
Anyway keep giving me this kind of tips and in the future, with the help of our moderators, I will re-upload the amended pages.

jjarmstrong47

Post by jjarmstrong47 »

I think that using a map drawn by your father would far outweigh any reasons for changing it. Some of the maps I have used of Italy in my exhibit use Italian spelling of the name and if you think of it, that is the correct spelling. The English spelling is the wrong one.

I am really enjoying your presentation. This is an area where my knowledge is poor and will really help me to organise my own collection.

ingegné

Post by ingegné »

jjarmstrong47 wrote:I think that using a map drawn by your father would far outweigh any reasons for changing it.
That's the point.
In fact I inherited most of my collection from my father, that lived in Somalia since the year 1929 until he was taken prisoner in January 1941.

I needed a long, long time before deciding that it was better (and that he would have approved) to rearrange completely the collection(s) according to new trends and rules, adding new items that I had found in the meantime and the notices resulting from my own research.
yannis wrote:Is there a chance to scan some of the elephant and lion stamps larger? They are beautiful stamps and deserve a bit more space;)
With pleasure. Let's have a short break before we go to the definitive series.

These letters are part of my collection but not included in the one I'm showing here because it is focused on the "Pittorica" definitive series.
BENADIR SERIES

Registered letter from GIUMBO, 7 March 1904, franked with a strip of three 2 anna stamps + one 2 besa (second port). On the back, transit postmarks of Zanzibar, 20 March, and Napoli, 5 April.
It looks like it was the second registered letter sent from Giumbo post office.
Registered letter from Mogadiscio, 22 November 1905 to Rome, 19 December, franked with one 10 anna, two 5 anna, four 2 1/2 anna, two 1 anna and two 1 besa stamps = 32 anna 2 besa (12 ports registered letter)
ZANZIBAR ISSUE

4 ports registered letter from Mogadiscio, 8 May 1906, to Rome, 15 June, franked with a strip of three 15 cents and one 40 cents of the Zanzibar Issue.
MIXED FRANKING

11 port registered letter from Mogadiscio 20 March 1906, to Roma, 13 April, franked with stamps of three different issues: two 1 besa stamps of 1903 (5 cents), four 40 cent Zanzibar stamps and three 15 cent overprinted stamps issued in 1906.

If you liked them let me know and I will show you more
Enjoy

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Very nice. :mrgreen:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

ingegné

Post by ingegné »

Sorry for the delay: Monday I was out of Rome because it was a National Holiday in Italy (Republic Birthday) and yesterday I was too much busy. Now we go to the core of this collection, that is the specialized study of the definitive series of 1932.
CHAPTER FOUR - PART ONE

I'm very proud to own these two beautiful pieces of art. I knew of their existence and who owned them since many years, but only recently I decided that I absolutely had to have them.

It was a long war of nerves at a difficult bargaining but, at the end, I got them. It was a little bit expensive but, should I admit, I would have paid even more!

When they are not on exibition, I have them framed and hung to the wall in my studio and anybody coming appreciates them and asks some information about my stamp collection.

So for the moment I post only these two pages. See you tomorrow.

ikanek

Post by ikanek »

ingegné wrote: When they are not on exhibition, I have them framed and hung to the wall in my studio and anybody coming appreciates them and asks some information about my stamp collection.
They are very beautiful :D , but I don´t think it is much good idea to leave them on the wall of your studio. I would care about the condition of these items as daylight may irreversibly damage them. And that would be a pity!

I believe you can make good photocopies and show them.

jjarmstrong47

Post by jjarmstrong47 »

Well who cares if the kids didn't eat for a week? I would certainly like to have bought those. I agree that a high quality scan framed would be safer and have the same effect on visitors. You can then choose whether to show the originals or not. They are a great advert for your collection.

ingegné

Post by ingegné »

jjarmstrong47 wrote:Well who cares if the kids didn't eat for a week?
Fortunately this issue was not a problem, as I have no kids.

I'm still hunting to find out if the remaining 6 original survived. Probably they are in some old box in a basement and the owner(s) just don't know what they have.

ingegné

Post by ingegné »

CHAPTER FOUR - PART TWO

P.S. I have renamed my files on Photobucket. Now, starting from page 1 in my first post or clicking on THIS LINK you can see the collection as a slideshow.

Maxime Citerne
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by Maxime Citerne »

Congratulations and thank you for sharing this beautifully presented exhibition.

From what I understand, even if some of the items are expensive, one doesn´t need to be highly fortuned to build up this holding. And THAT is exactly one of the reasons why I am definitely enjoying your material: this is the proof that to become a high level philatelist, as well as building a top collection, can be done without being a millionaire. No USA postmasters issues, no Penny Black mint blocs, no France tete-Beche, and yet: still very attractive and very informative!

Your thread should be a wake up call for the wall painting and new issues collectors... Wake up guys, you have no excuse anymore (do I sound like an old pain in the a-- ?) :lol:

Regards,

Maxime

Member of the Rossica Society, the British Society of Russian Philately (BSRP)

ingegné

Post by ingegné »

I'm happy that you liked this collection. Unfortunately Italian colonies are not so popular by now, but this has its reverse advantage.

In fact, if you are not a Mint Never Never Hinged seeker, most of the stamps of Italian Somalia can be obtained for a fair price, considering the quantities issued and their scarce usage, specially before the 1936 Italo-Aethiopian war. The same applies for most of the varieties and postal history.

Of course you will need a little more money to have the complete collection, but in the last Bolaffi auction some single stamps or letters of the Old Italian States sold for a price higher than the value of the entire collection I am showing now.

As I told before, I inherited most of the collection(s) from my father. When I decided to add some expensive items, like the two original sketches and the essays, I decided also that "stamps must pay for themselves".

So I'm selling my surplus stamps, covers and postcards through Delcampe or directly to fellow collectors and, when I reach the needed amount of money, go out hunting for what I still need to have my collection as complete as I can.

S Wilson

Post by S Wilson »

Hi ingegne

As somebody who collects the stamps of former German colonies in Africa and Polynesia / Melanesia / Micronesia, I have found an interesting extension to this collection.
That is to also collect the stamps as used by the Entente occupation forces, after these had conquered the colonies.

Perhaps you would find it interesting to collect the stamps issued by the British Occupation. In a sense that may still be relevant to your collection as I believe the Italians conducted a successful guerilla war for some time after British Occupation, at least until late in 1942.

S Wilson

fromdownunder
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by fromdownunder »

ingegne, congratulations on being named poster of the Month and winning the Australia Post 2013 Year Book. Please contact Glen to collect your well deserved prize. See below:

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8100&p=3884633#p3884633

Norm
Geelong, VFA Premiers 1878, 1879, 1800, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1886, AFL Premiers 1925, 1931, 1937, 1951, 1952, 1963, 2007, 2009, 2011, .

tasuth

Post by tasuth »

Congratulations Ingegné!
This is a wonderful collection!

ingegné

Post by ingegné »

Hi everybody,

I'm really flattered by this nomination and thank all the moderators and the fellow forumers. I just didn't know that I could be elegible for such a honour and, more, that I could get a prize too.

Only yesterday I was very ashamed with myself that it's more than a week that I don't contribute more pages from my collection of Italian Somalia: sometimes my work keeps me busy and I have no time for translating the texts.

Now I have great debt of gratitude to all of you and promise that next week I will try to really earn the title and the prize that I was awarded.

Vittorio

ingegné

Post by ingegné »

And so I'm here again to deserve the honor that was done to me by our Moderators
CHAPTER FOUR - PART THREE

dptashny

Post by dptashny »

Thank you for sharing, this is an absolutely beautiful collection!

mads1983

Post by mads1983 »

It was an absolut plessure to watch this thread, it's really a beautiful collection and display.

ingegné

Post by ingegné »

Chapter Four - Part three - continued

As usual you can click on any picture to see it full size in Photobucket or look at the complete slideshow clicking HERE

goof

Post by goof »

Its rare that I see a country's issued stamps over such a long period and admire the workmanship in them all.

I find it hard to believe that so much skill and effort went in to what is essentially a set of small issues. I wish more modern issues resorted to these skills sometimes!

Thanks for sharing you knowledge and collection.

regards
Mick

jjarmstrong47

Post by jjarmstrong47 »

Its rare that I see a country's issued stamps over such a long period and admire the workmanship in them all.
I agree. The Italians have always taken pride in the production of their stamps.

Agrome
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by Agrome »

Ciao Ingegnè,

molto bello, complimenti

Andrea
I Collect - Prephilatelic Postal History Stato Pontificio, (Covers from Roma) - Indian States - Postal history Ethiopian War 1935-36 - Postcards topic "playing cards". See my DELCAMPE'shop AGROME

ingegné

Post by ingegné »

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”