The Upper & Lower Lady Bay Lighthouses are located within the Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum at Warrnambool, & overlook Lady Bay. The lighthouses were built in the 1870's, using materials from previous navigational structures built in the 1850's.
In the 1850's, two lighthouses were built, one on Middle Island, and the other on the beach at Lady Bay. Two obelisks were also built on Flagstaff Hill. Due to the navigational inadequacies of the two lighthouses, they were dismantled and partially rebuilt in the 1870's to form the current Upper and Lower Lighthouses. The Upper and Lower Lady Bay Lighthouses are still in use, and when aligned, guide ships into Lady Bay.
The square tower of the Lower Lighthouse was originally built in 1854 as one of two obelisks on Flagstaff Hill. The light now located on the tower was originally used in its predecessor, The Beach Lighthouse, built in 1859 on the beach at Lady Bay. The Beach Lighthouse was the leading lighthouse, but was ineffective due to lack of elevation, and in heavy seas, it was obscured by waves and sea spray.
During 1871-72, the light was relocated to the top of the obelisk.
The Middle Island Lighthouse and accompanying buildings were constructed in 1859. During 1871-72, the lighthouse was relocated stone-by-stone from Middle Island to its current location on top of Flagstaff Hill, replacing a previous obelisk, and became the Upper Lighthouse.
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.