Notifications won't go away

These boards are a cinch to use, but if BB's are new to you, here are a few basic tips for new users to help you settle in. How to post, edit, how to add photos or avatars etc. Who are the Board Moderators etc. Please feel free to ask questions or add suggestions yourself. Add threads here re any technical issues that might concern you.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

leamphil
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Notifications won't go away

Post by leamphil »

Reposted with longer title as Global Admin decided to lock the previous thread.

At the top right of the front screen there is a bell with "Notifications" by its side.

If I click on this I get 4 notifications (replies to an earlier post on 1st June) - how do I get rid of these ?

If I click "See All" at the bottom I get a list of the 4 notifications with a "Mark Read" column at the right and boxes I cannot select.

If I "Mark All" at the bottom the boxes get selected, but in grey. If I then click the "Mark Read" button the selection ticks disappear but nothing changes.

If I click on the "Mark all notifications read" at the top I switch to an information page which says "All notifications have been marked read" and then it comes back top the same list of 4 notifications.

Is there a way to get rid of the notifications please ?
Last edited by Global Administrator on 28 Jun 2020 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards!

librarianc
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Re: Notifications won't go away

Post by librarianc »

One way to get rid of the notification # is to click on "NOTIFICATIONS" icon in the upper right, which should give you a drop down list of all your notifications (sometimes they have a different background shade to identify which ones in the list are still active).

If you click on the individual active notification in that list, you should get a check mark in that notification. That should remove the reply from the list of active items.

Do that to any that have the shaded background and you should go back to no notifications # beside the icon.

John A
Armstrong'sStamps**http://www.armstrongsstamps.ca
Canada Errors, Freaks and Oddities (EFO) - Knowledge is Key.....Libraries work!

leamphil

Post by leamphil »

That is what I've done, as per my earlier (unfortunately repeated) post. When you do that, do the notifications disappear or just get unchecked ?

... ie. is there a way to get to no notifications showing when you click on the Notifications ? Or do they always show there even if you've looked at them ?

CMJ
Rescued a MILLION Stampboard Images
Rescued a MILLION  Stampboard Images

Post by CMJ »

leamphil wrote:
27 Jun 2020 03:39
That is what I've done, as per my earlier (unfortunately repeated) post. When you do that, do the notifications disappear or just get unchecked ?

... ie. is there a way to get to no notifications showing when you click on the Notifications ? Or do they always show there even if you've looked at them ?
If you click on Notifications, your latest Notifications will always be shown even if you have visited the thread by clicking on the notification, marked all as read or simply have no new ones.

Capture1.JPG

In the example above, I have 1 new notification - the top one that is shaded.

To alter the types of Notifications you are receiving, click Settings and you can specify what you want to receive and how - the first column is for Notifications, the second for Email.

Capture2.JPG

Chris.

jkrabbenbos
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by jkrabbenbos »

You can also change the behaviour per thread.

Normally, if people post another entry in the thread, the notification will appear again if you have not unsubscribed for following that thread.

If you do not want notifications again on a thread, go to the bottom of the thread and click on the wrench (not sure if that is the correct term) and select 'unsubscribe'.

And no more notifications will appear in your list of notifications for that thread. See the image below:

Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 11.45.26.png
Last edited by Global Administrator on 28 Jun 2020 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards!
Kind regards,
Jan
Collecting: Netherlands, pre-decimal New Zealand, Canada
Special interest areas: Canada Admirals, NZ Adsons, Antarctica, E.H. Shackleton

leamphil

Post by leamphil »

... but there is no way of actually deleting a notification ?

They continue to show even when one has viewed them or marked them as read ??

Is that correct ?

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Leamphil -- only someone who very accurately chose an Avatar like yours, can start a stupid and lazy 1 word heading thread.

When that is deleted, and my time is wasted advising you of that, and are asked to read Rule 12, you start a near equally vague 4 word one, whining about a great new feature that most like and enjoy.

4406.jpg

You have been told by Mods above what the reality is, but no -- whine on regardless.

We spend a ton of time and money to load an exciting new FREE board, with a ton of great new features like this, and we need to flush out a Whining Pom bleating about them repeatedly. :shock:

Here's a great idea - send me $10,000 and we will get Yuriy just to write special code JUST FOR YOUR obscure and nonsense whine to be addressed forever. :!:

For an extra $1000, he can customise it to play God Save The Queen when you click on it. :lol: :lol:

OR - more to your budget I feel sure - go to

Board index - User Control Panel - Board preferences - Edit notification options

And check "NO NOTIFICATIONS."

How cool is that.... you'll have nothing to moan about then. For 5 minutes anyway.

Jeez, some people. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Poorly worded question asked, (twice) question answered, thread locked, and leamphil can now whine to his cat or goldfish about something else nonsensical. :ugeek:

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

leamphil wrote:
28 Jun 2020 21:10
... but there is no way of actually deleting a notification ?

They continue to show even when one has viewed them or marked them as read ??

Is that correct ?

Why don't you just ignore them? :idea: :idea: :idea:

That's what I do....

Return to “New to Bulletin Boards? A few useful tips and technical threads. AND add your suggestions too.”