FAKES: Warning to NWPI/North West Pacific Islands collectors

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Kainnikanada
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

FAKES: Warning to NWPI/North West Pacific Islands collectors

Post by Kainnikanada »

If you are a collector of NWPI/North West Pacific Islands/New Guinea stamps the following might help you minimize the impact of fake/forged stamps populating your collection.

A few months ago I noted this eBayer (ron_ball) was selling stamps that were not what they were advertised. I provided him with a link to my NWPI overprint thread here on Stampboards where he could post and vet his items re: their genuine nature.

He did promptly reply with a legitimate reason but has not posted any of them on my thread for comments.

Usually the eBay listing is a combination of often used fake & genuine stamps. If the former the significant glaring characteristic of them is the Australian postmark.

Although not definitive since the overprinted stamps were: 1.) sometimes used in Australia & 2.) they might have been accidentally cancelled while the letter was in transit any non-New Guinea cancel should be taken with suspicion unless one is well informed of the postal history of the area.

Additionally any overprint where the 'P' of 'PACIFIC' is offset too far right to be:

1.) directly above the first 'S' of "ISLANDS' (SG 65 - 101)

or

2.) above the centre of the 'IS' (SG 101 - 124 & O3 - O21)
approach with caution.

Here are the current items on offer (as of time of posting). Before I comment on the fakes let's see if anyone can spot them.
Image.....Image
I suggest members here post screen grabs of any items they wish to bid on so I can provide a comment on the genuineness of the offering.
Looking for NSW cut-down relief date stamps, as seen in my avatar, to add to my collection.

camelspotter
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Re: Warning to NWPI/North West Pacific Islands' collectors

Post by camelspotter »

The NWPI overprint on the 2½ blue Roo and on 4d KGV violet are bogus.

Lakatoi 4
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Unless he's been selling similar fakes for a while there's always the possibility that he bought a large collection that contained them and he might not know they're duds :idea:
Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"

Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

Lakatoi 4 wrote:Unless he's been selling similar fakes for a while there's always the possibility that he bought a large collection that contained them and he might not know they're duds :idea:
Tony,

Regardless of how they were acquired he is knowingly periodically selling fakes after I suggested he vet them on Stampboards to identify genuine versus fake/forged. Alternatively he could warn prospective/potential bidders that fakes exist and could be populating his lots! He cried foul since they were acquired in a large collection so what.....buyer beware?

That eBayer, visjnic, or something similar carefully fills the description heading of his GNG/NWPI fakes with sufficient characters such that "fake/forged' only appears at the end of the general listing only when one views the listing not when one scans the search window. Clever way of embedding the actual nature of the item at the end of the description.

How many bidders would read the entire description once they open the listing's window?
Looking for NSW cut-down relief date stamps, as seen in my avatar, to add to my collection.

Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

camelspotter wrote:The NWPI overprint on the 2½ blue Roo and on 4d KGV violet are bogus.
Let's see what other Stampboarders notice before I comment on your observation.

Thanks for the quick input.

Rod

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Kannick links to ebay lots ae are ESSENTIAL for such threads - basic common sense.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-GUINEA-N-W-P-I-STAMPS/273224310665

It is ebay, the land of scammers.

This seller on ebay ron_ball has deliberately loaded a super low rez scan, that will not blow up - near impossible to do on ebay, given their new image requirements, unless you have something to hide. As he certainly does here.

Clearly the Roo and 4d Violet have oz cancels and have the same terribly crude forged NWPI overprints.

The 2/- Brown cancel also looks dodgy to me, but at this low rez, hard to say. Have blown it up and enhanced as best I can from the truly cruddy super low rez scan ron_ball loaded.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

snowy12
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by snowy12 »

Here's another fake one penny overprint on 1/- from the same seller.I concur fakes and genuine are often put up together I downloaded this image a while ago ,it's on another thread on this board.
Brian
Life's too short - spend your money now, or someone else will!!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

ron_ball seems to have a great stock of NWPI FORGERIES he has been peddling to the perpetually clueless ebay Bunnies -

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/new-guinea-n-w-p-i-stamps/401529 ... Sw0l9a44aG

Lower 3 here are all screamingly obvious fake overprints - not mentioned by ebay seller ron_ball
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Oh dear ....... the deeper one digs the more appalling NWPI FORGED OVERPRINTS we see cheerfully offered by ron_ball on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-GUINEA-N-W-P-I-STAMPS-/273121914700
Ron .. I know you are dealing with total cretin Bunnies, and I know their IQ often does not get into double digits.

But Ron surely you have EYES, and can see the huge diagonal crease at lower left on your totally forged 2/-? Even generously assuming you are simply too dumb to have noted the appallingly forged overprint, (however you were clearly warned you were listing them by Kannik) how can you list up something with a huge crease as "NICE STAMPS WITH NO FAULTS"

YOU do not have to lie and describe such appallingly forged 2/- Roo NWPI overprints as -

NICE STAMPS WITH NO FAULTS, SEE SCANS TO BID

Seller Notes: “VERY FINE USED & M.V.L.H.G.”

Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

Glenn,

If Barry (bazza...) can conduct Google searches it's a no-brainer to input 'ron_ball' to see all his current listings.

Doesn't a link expire once an item is sold or removed? My screen capture is a permanent reminder of the sample type of items offered (mixed genuine & forged) but not offered "...as is..."!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Kannik, Why I am wasting my time, simply as folks like you cannot read or comprehend or are too lazy, I have no idea, but to remind YOU and OTHERS, this is how things are done here, and have been for 10 years - and will be for the next 10 years

http://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11738

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Sucker Bait purveyor ron_ball must have an assembly line somewhere making FORGED NWPI overprints on 2/- Roos?

The deeper one digs, the more he had sold - This pair is not only totally forged, but with an apparent FORGED Rabaul cancel as well on the 1/-.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-GUINEA-N-W-P-I-STAMPS-FINE-USED-/401500283481
Nice work Ron ... I am sure the Ebay Bunnies left you glowing feedback for the FAKES ypu mailed them?

Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

snowy12 wrote:Here's another fake one penny overprint on 1/- from the same seller.I concur fakes and genuine are often put up together I downloaded this image a while ago ,it's on another thread on this board.
Brian
Good observation. I gave up after my initial concern because he failed to amend the description of the lot I noticed that had a couple of fakes.

These surcharges, SG 101 & 102, are commonly forged. Probably 25% or more are not legitimate - either the NWPI overprint & surcharge are forged or only the surcharge. No offence to "Blind Freddie" but I believe he/she/transgender/non-affiliated could see the poor forgery assuming one has a Gibbons catalogue or the ability to query the item's authenticity.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

The ron_ball Ebay Bunny NWPI forgery factory must have been super busy this year -
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-GUINEA-N-W-P-I-5-STAMP-/273083691218

"FINE USED - NICE OLD STAMP WITH NO SIGNIFICANT FAULTS"

A shame Ron did not take some of his ill-gotten gains from flogging this long conga line of KNOWN TO HIM FAKES, and invested it in a decent SCANNNER. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

The ron_ball ebay Forgery Factory rolls on -

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-GUINEA-N-W-P-I-STAMPS-/273113531017

Derbyboi2

Re: FAKES: Warning to NWPI/North West Pacific Islands collectors

Post by Derbyboi2 »

I am currently completing a lengthy article on the 1918 1d on 5d and 1d on 1/- surcharges SG100 and SG101. I am able to show, without any doubt, that the issue was philatelically inspired and was valid for use for 6 days only (May 23rd 1918 until its withdrawal on the 28th May 1918).

Can collectors check whether they have any copies with dates prior to the 10th March 1918 (an impossible early date as the Administrator Johnston, who authorised the surcharges had not, at that stage, left Australia and did not do so until the 10th April arriving in Rabaul on the 20th April 1918.

A copy of the backdated Kokopo cancel illustrated is clearly 10th March 1918. Similarly any cancellations noted after the end of July would be appreciated.

The issue was totally unnecessary and constituted a 'scam' by the treasurer and the post office in Rabaul to make money by selling both mint and cancelled panes to dealers in Australia at a price of £2 per pane.

surcharge earliest date.jpg
Last edited by Global Administrator on 09 Jan 2021 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: ONCE AGAIN for this member's posts -- Added pars and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards! The PREVIEW button is there for SUPERB reason - to stop ugly messes - - please use it.

satsuma
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by satsuma »

Derbyboi2 wrote:
09 Jan 2021 20:20

Can collectors check whether they have any copies with dates prior to the 10th March 1918 (an impossible early date as the Administrator Johnston, who authorised the surcharges had not, at that stage, left Australia and did not do so until the 10th April arriving in Rabaul on the 20th April 1918.

According to this information about this image held by the Australian War Memorial: It was taken 18 Apr 2018.

Brigadier Johnston arriving at Rabaul
Brigadier Johnston arriving at Rabaul

satsuma

Post by satsuma »

Here's my only used one:
1d on 1/- NWPI
1d on 1/- NWPI

colour neutralised
colour neutralised

I've done what I could to ascertain the date but I still can't read it.

It doesn't really look like FE or JE or SE or DE to me
I hope it may help you

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Satsuma

Thank you for that. The information regarding Johnstone's arrival was obtained from the official file and the arrival of the ship in Rabaul which states the 20th April. I will mention the disparity of dates.
I think the example you have must be June written JE but will check with Rod as to the configuration.

Robert

Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

Ken,

The date-line appears to be intentionally under-inked. Here are a couple close-ups of each: a 'SE' and a 'JL' strike - it appears yours is dated September. The upper loop of the 'S', appears slightly larger, and is barely discernable in your strike.

P055b.000904-01.065.035.jpg

P055b.150914-01.067a.051.5-06 2400.jpg

P055b.160705-01.065.127.3R45KDY.jpg
P055b.160705-01.070.019.jpg

Here's an almost contemporaneous dated strike.

P055b.180921-01.070.044type4.99.jpg

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

It wouldn't surprise me if the September date was deliberately under-inked so as to allow it to leave New Guinea. That having been said it was only the Treasury and troops in New Guinea who knew of the order as it doesn't seem to have been advertised at all.

Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

Robert,

I was intending to mention the under-inking then had second thoughts. I believe you were going to include that observation in your article since it's occurrence is more than fortuitous..

satsuma

Post by satsuma »

Derbyboi2 wrote:
10 Jan 2021 06:21
It wouldn't surprise me if the September date was deliberately under-inked so as to allow it to leave New Guinea.
There is another possible theory which you guys with your far greater knowledge of the situation might be easily able to discount.

It is that there was sufficient other postage on the item to cover the cost of mailing it.

The partial second strike indicates that at least one other stamp was used.

Perhaps mail with surplus postage was allowed to continue to its destination.

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

There are only 2 known commercial covers bearing the surcharges, with a further 3 or four covers to dealers in Australia. Various 'on piece' CTO's were also prepared.

The 1d on 1/- you have illustrated is part of a pane of 30 which has been CTO'd as are 99% of the issue. I attach some examples.

1d on 5d Namatanai.jpg
1d on 5d Namatanai.jpg

These Namatanai cancels are early dated and obviously CTO'd in bulk.
Attachments
Namantanai 1d surcharge.jpg
Last edited by Global Administrator on 08 Apr 2021 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards! Use the "PREVIEW" button folks. It is there for a GOOD reason.

satsuma

Post by satsuma »

So this block from the Richard Juzwin site is dated 5 days too early for "approved" use?
dated 14 May
dated 14 May

And this strip from the same site is one day too early?
dated 22 May
dated 22 May

Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

I've seen those violet cancel multiples offered several times over the last 30 years. The colour of the ink in conjunction with the obscured "Queensland" in the base of the date-stamp has always attracted me to them.

Unfortunately the poorly inked date-line makes it difficult to determine if they were used after or prior to the issue date. A lot of care was taken to not have the date properly inked.

Regardless of the issue surrounding their authentic/irregular usage no clear date obviates the inclusion of such blocks in my postmark collection.

Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

Ken,

The 5d Robert posted with a March date proves back-dating of the date-stamp occurred ergo there was nothing stopping nefarious usage of a date-stamp at any of the District Offices period.

We see, and this will be revealed when we complete Powell's update. that back-dating of cancels was not restricted to only this surcharged issue. Often early dates of date-stamps' usage have been generally accepted (as published in Loughran's update) though often questioned by experts.

satsuma

Post by satsuma »

Kainnikanada wrote:
10 Jan 2021 08:25
I've seen these multiples offered several times over the last 30 years. The colour of the ink in conjunction with the obscured "Queensland" in the base of the date-stamp has always attracted me to them. Unfortunately the poorly inked date-line makes it difficult to determine if they were used after or prior to the issue date. A lot of care was taken to not have the date properly inked.

Regardless of the issue surrounding their authentic/irregular usage no clear date obviates the inclusion of such blocks in my postmark collection.
Is not the 1/- block clearly dated 12 MY 18 in the central stamp in the second row?
12 May date?
12 May date?

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

The date given by SG part 1 for the issue of the surcharges is the 23rd May 1918. By Military Order 300, signed by Johnston on the 28th May 1919, none of the surcharges were to be further used and could be exchanged for normal 1d stamps at the Post Office.

Use of the stamps for 'trade' or postage after that date would have been a court martial offence. I hope the full article (about 30/40 pages, with illustrations) will be ready for publication when I eventually manage to get back to the UK.

It also covers the 5/- first watermark NWPI and the 4d Chrome Yellow. Moving from Melbourne to Rabaul then to London and Paris.

Richard's stamps 'pre-date' the official issue date. In my view the vast majority were predated and sent to Australia before the 23rd May. I can name those responsible as well!

The research is new and will shed light on the shady goings on in Rabaul. It follows on my publication of the Court Martial of Ravenscroft and Moore (both of whose names appear again).

The fact that the whole issue was bogus has been obscured by years of collecting leading to acceptance and high catalogue value.

The surcharges can be placed in the same category as the GRI 'errors' which were created to order. None of the issues will be devalued at such a long period since the event.

Rod - I agree 12th May 1918.

Last edited by Global Administrator on 10 Jan 2021 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: ONCE AGAIN for this member's posts -- Added pars and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards! Use the PREVIEW button so as vast gobs of unreadable text do not appear.

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Sorry - of course Johnstone's order was the 28th May 1918, giving a 'legal' usage of 6 days inclusive.

Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

Ken,

Thanks for taking the time to carefully look at each stamp - that's more time than I was willing to invest. Strange that the majority had no clear/legible date.

Namatanai is on the east coast of New Ireland. During the occupation there was no land route across the backbone of the island. Shipping had to proceed from Rabaul to Kaewieng (Kavieng) then down the coast to Namatanai. Namatanai did not receive its first date-stamp until January 1917 - Kokopo's similarily styled one was issued almost concurrently. There wasn't a great deal of traffic between it and Rabaul or Kaewieng.

It is therefore impossible to have a proper date of 12MY18 for the usage at Namtanai. This doesn't preclude the fact the date-wheels, perhaps, were not advanced as each mailing left the sub District office.

eharper
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by eharper »

I assume theses are real since they're not particularly valuable?

NWPI, Austr. used
NWPI, Austr. used

Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

eharper,

The lo resolution scan precludes a definitive answer. Notwithstanding this limitation I believe they're legit used examples. The Rabaul date-stamp qppears good.

Don't assume that no forgeries of the lower denominations do not exist. Forgers applied their trade/skills, admittedly very poorly, to even the ½d and 1d stamps. The clue to these usually is the Australian cancel lying beneath the overprint.

Bear in mind that these lower values were sometimes used on mail posted in Australia or letters cancelled on arrival in Australia so a non New Guinea date-stamp is not in itself conclusive proof of a forgery. Neither is the poor quality of the overprint seen on many forgeries.

A few overprint runs by the government printer were not of a high standard of quality.

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Rod

I agree with you completely. Interestingly the two sets of early forgers (the 1917 and 1926 gangs) were both working from the Melbourne suburbs and the police investigation teams narrowed the area down from the local cancellations which were used on the stamps before the fake overprints were applied.

The 1917 forgeries were extemely amateurish but the later ones were slightly better but easily identified to the trained eye. The majority of the fake overprints were applied to low value Kangaroos and included the odd inverted overprint which never existed on the genuine stamp. I wrote a lengthy article in Gibbons Stamp Monthly on the forgeries with illustrations of all the types then seen about 16 years ago.

If I could find a live link I would post it but I think it is long gone. Rod's point about the cancellation places is probably the most important starter point. Usual Australian cancellation on genuine stamps appear from Sydney and Brisbane when cancelling incoming mail but not always. Any postmarks from Victoria shouold set alarm bells ringing.

There are, however, many forged New Guinea cancellations on genuine unused NWPI stamps, which are much more dangerous and have been perpetrated right up to the present time. The Sydney forger was known to take a mint Australian stamp, apply an OS puncture and cancel it with a Manus or Rabaul datestamp after applying it to a nice square 'piece'.

He also did this without punctures. They appear on ebay occasionally. As ever Caveat Emptor.
Last edited by Global Administrator on 08 Apr 2021 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards! Use the "PREVIEW" button folks. It is there for a GOOD reason.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

So the 2 x ONE PENNY surcharged NWPI were essentially made for collectors and most cancels on them are fake/backdated/posthumous?

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Glen

The May 1918 1d surcharges were a completely fabricated issue for the financial benefit of certain military staff at the treasury and at the district offices in Rabaul. They were not 'fake' as such but there was no reason to issue them (as found by the subsequent court of enquiry). I found the official file at the AWM (which is not digitised) some time ago. I am just finishing off a very lengthy article on the fiasco. I have one copy of the 1d on 5d which is illustrated in this forum which was supposedly cancelled over a month before the new Administrator even arrived and had time to sign the order authorising the surcharge. Within a day or so of the stamps issue he had realised that this was some sort of scam and ordered all the surcharges to be handed in and be destroyed. It was a court martial offence to send them from New Guinea after the 28th May 1918 (Military Order No,100). Only 850 of the issue were actually handed in and destroyed leaving 5,150 in circulation. The majority were sent to Australia in CTO'd and Mint panes prior to their official issue and offered to dealers worldwide at £2 per pane. This represented an instant profit of 800 per cent.
There is one cover to Van Weenen sent in early May 1918 bearing a 1d on 1 shilling no doubt touting the issue.
I doubt whether there is another stamp that became the subject of a Military Court of Enquiry. Many of the cancelled blocks currently extant have dates well before the official issue date.
It may very well have been that the forme for the surcharging had been prepared well before Johnston arrived in New Guinea.
Rod has peer reviewed the draft which is ready for submission for publication.
As to proper use I believe there are only two commercial covers which are in the correct timeframe.

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Glen
My maths escaped me. There were 5,000 issued and 850 or so destroyed in the presence of 2 officers leaving a balance of 4,150 not 5,150 as I originally stated above.
Johnston was alerted by seeing the vast increase in telegram traffic between the 23rd and 24th May 1918 from dealers and philatelists requesting copies of the issue. The matter may never have become public if it were not for an article by Smyth in June 1918 questioning the bona fides of the issue which came to the attention of Military Headquarters in Melbourne. They requested an immediate explanation which led to the setting up of the Court of Enquiry.
As Smyth said in his article it was not unusual for issues from New Guinea to be 'questionable', given the previous court martials of Sergeant Moore and Captain Ravenscroft, both of which feature heavily in the article.

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”