The "Should I Buy It?" Thread

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: The "Should I Buy It?" Thread

Post by Global Administrator »

Eric, yes that is the PO folder of issue. They sold them for one pound!

The 5/- Bridge appears OK, but might be disguising an issue lower right by strategic placement of Smithy stamp.

Specimen CofA Roos set 3 all appallingly centered - little value there.

This is the part contents of several different era packs merged into 1. The 1937 Pound Robes has been removed 6d OS Smithy, and 10/- Roo CTO, etc

If you paid $US200-$US250 you'd be OK.

1935 magazinbe Ad for Australia Secimen stamps folder set
1935 magazinbe Ad for Australia Secimen stamps folder set
This is the entire contents of the original KGVI era folder
This is the entire contents of the original KGVI era folder
Aust Specimen folder cover 1930s.jpg
Aust Specimen folder 1930s part contents (2).jpg
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

erich
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by erich »

Thanks, Glen...appreciate the info and pictures of the proper sets. These don't turn up here very often and I wasn't sure exactly what should be in them. The 5/ Bridge looks OK, but yes, I see some appallingly-centered stamps in that group.

Micky
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by Micky »

strip.jpg
nice ride
nice ride
CTO Pound
CTO Pound

Hi all, would $20 be a decent price to cover this nice little strip from plate 1, or keep away? Might be some light toning, not a good scan by the seller.

Also from same seller the CTO for around the same value $20.

Cheers
Michael

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Micky wrote:
19 Jul 2020 20:51

Hi all, would $20 be a decent price to cover this nice little strip from plate 1, or keep away? Might be some light toning, not a good scan by the seller.
Yes over $3 a stamp on eBay for a very grotty strip must be a good buy.

I sold a range of Plate 1 and Imprint pieces here this week for $1 each so $3 apiece on eBay of course is the far wiser buy for some. Gotta luv the logic! :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=91400

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Micky

Post by Micky »

Thanks Glen, I don't buy stamps from eBay.

Will keep clear of the items thank you :D

Michael

erich

Post by erich »

Here is an early Victoria cover for sale at £250... https://www.upa-direct.co.uk/tut2037---australia---half-leng ... 7781-p.asp

Front:
Screenshot 2021-05-13 01.08.17.png

Back:
Screenshot 2021-05-13 01.08.34.png

RPS "no opinion" cert from 1966:
Screenshot 2021-05-13 01.08.54.png

If you read the listing, the seller thinks it might get a good cert now if resubmitted. Admittedly, I'm probably not going to buy this, but found it interesting. Questions:

-- Do you think this stamp belongs on the cover?
-- Do you think it could get a good cert, or is the opinion from 1966 correct?
-- Thoughts on the price?

(Obviously, since I'm telling you where you can go buy it, I won't be upset if someone here sees it and does.)

Waffle
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by Waffle »

Do you honestly think that I will pay 250$ for this cover, possibly genuine, possibly not. The answer is hell is exothermic, i.e. hell will freeze over first. I have much better things to do with that amount of money. Taking my wife out to dinner with a nice bottle of wine, immediately springs to mind.
I prefer to collect UK, British Commonwealth esp Pacific area ( not excluding West Indies/Canada ) and Western Europe. At the bottom of my zone of interest is Eastern Europe and communist countries.

David Benson
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by David Benson »

Wonder who altered the catalogue number on the certificate,

David B.

W5LDY
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by W5LDY »

Re-offered for at least the 11th time, originally at £495, now £250, not $250!.

Let it drop some more in half a dozen or so further auctions and then it may be worth taking a risk.

As for the change of SG number on the certificate, well that's just someone who thought better, or possibly have some of those early numbers changed in the last 60 years or so, I seen to remember there was a major re-write of the Half Lengths by SG in the early 70s.

The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by The Pom »

UPA's terms & conditions on such matters. Assuming they agree to it, you've not got much to lose.
EXTENSIONS FOR CERTIFICATES POLICY

• Requests for extension time to obtain a certificate must be made in writing not less than 48 hours before the auction closing time.
• The name of the proposed expert or expert committee must be provided for our approval.
• The reason for requesting an extension must be stated.
• Requests for extensions are on the basis of authenticity, not condition unless specifically approved by UPA.
• Extensions are for single items/sets only value in excess of £100.
• Requests for extensions for items already bearing a certificate will not be accepted unless specifically approved by UPA.
• UPA will submit the item(s) for expertisation unless specifically agreed otherwise.
• Items will not be submitted until payment has been received, unless specifically approved by UPA.
• The purchaser pays for the certificate. If the item is not authenticated, UPA will pay for the certificate.
• Any item described as having faults may not be returned if other faults are mentioned on the certificate of authenticity.
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.

David Benson

Post by David Benson »

The terms mention single items and sets only, not covers,

Extensions are for single items/sets only value in excess of £100.

David B.

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

I would have thought 1 cover qualified as a "single item".

I think that clause is to stop people complicating things by asking things along the line of "I'd like to buy this collection, but only if I can get positive certs on the following 23 items in the collection".

Cheers
Chris
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Doubtless a genuine use IMHO - no-one is ever going to have affixed an unused 3d Half Length to a cover (cat £8000!) and then add a pen line to it. :lol:

Odd the back flap with postal markings is not shown. That will help sell it for sure. :!:

Minimum SG cat £1000 on cover - would easily get £250 if offered here. Probably more if contents are interesting as stated. IIRC, UPA do not charge a buyers fee so £250 nett looks fair to me anyway.

Glen

erich

Post by erich »

Assorted comments:

-- No, UPA doesn't charge buyers fees on their auctions (besides, this is on their fixed price list). The price drops periodically if the item doesn't sell. This item has been kicking around for a while.

-- Glen's point about the value of a mint (or even unused) stamp vs. a cover makes a lot of sense. I'm sure that was true 55 years ago also.

-- I do think they would agree to consider a cover to be a "single item" and send it out for a new cert if someone chose to arrange that with their office. Also, I'm sure they would photograph the markings on the back and the contents if someone asked. The only time they would refuse is when busy sending out auction mailings.

Where would the most appropriate place be to get a certificate?

steevh
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by steevh »

erich wrote:
14 May 2021 11:47
Assorted comments:

-- No, UPA doesn't charge buyers fees on their auctions (besides, this is on their fixed price list). The price drops periodically if the item doesn't sell. This item has been kicking around for a while.

-- Glen's point about the value of a mint (or even unused) stamp vs. a cover makes a lot of sense. I'm sure that was true 55 years ago also.

-- I do think they would agree to consider a cover to be a "single item" and send it out for a new cert if someone chose to arrange that with their office. Also, I'm sure they would photograph the markings on the back and the contents if someone asked. The only time they would refuse is when busy sending out auction mailings.

Where would the most appropriate place be to get a certificate?
I think the whole issue here is that no one is going to certify it as genuine, even though, as Glenn says, it almost certainly is. That's because the stamp is tied to the cover by a pen line cancellation. By its very nature, no one can establish that the pen line was contemporaneous with the posting.

So, no certificating body is going to be able to claim without doubt that the item is genuine. The best they'll be able to do is what the RPS already did back in 1966, which is to point out the Queen has got one just like it in her collection. That, and the logic that no one would ruin a much more valuable mint stamp by putting a pen line through it.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

steevh wrote:
14 May 2021 22:14

no one is going to certify it as genuine ..... because the stamp is tied to the cover by a pen line cancellation. By its very nature, no one can establish that the pen line was contemporaneous with the posting.

Sorry this is arrant nonsense. 10,000s of covers globally have clear certs that only have pen cancels.

Erich .. mail it to the RPSV in Melbourne.

If Rod Perry were still with us, he'd have saved you the cost. :lol:

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”