The "Should I Buy It?" Thread

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Joy Daschaudhuri
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: The "Should I Buy It?" Thread

Post by Joy Daschaudhuri »

ddz334 wrote: Please advice
There is nothing special about this cover except the destination Moskva, Rossija.

The cover, posted on January? 17,1917, was sent from FPO 32 located at the Advance Base Depot in Al Amarah, Iraq from June 1915.

The SG E1, E2 and E3 stamps are common on covers, more so on I.E.F. D Force Iraq covers.
The partially struck circular PASSED BY CENSOR red censor mark, most probably D mark from Al Amarah or Al Basrah, is also fairly common.

Indian 'On Active Service' WW1 covers from Iraq to Rossija are uncommon but $160 is way too high base price.

vikingeck
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by vikingeck »

Joy Daschaudhuri wrote:
ddz334 wrote: Please advice
There is nothing special about this cover except the destination Moskva, Rossija.

Indian 'On Active Service' WW1 covers from Iraq to Rossija are uncommon but $160 is way too high base price.
Come on Joy ------------This is still an English language site, the cover is addressed English Style so what justification is there for writing "Moskva Rossija" ? apart form pedantic showing off! :shock:

I'm surprised you didn't write it in Cyrillic :lol: :lol:
whatever it is -------it's better than a poke in eye with a wet umbrella !

ddz334
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by ddz334 »

Thank you Joy Daschaudhuri.. I also thought the price is steep.
Bijo Paul

Micky
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by Micky »

Hi all, I found this on line (International site) what do these usually go for? This one is priced at $235.00 is that ridiculously high or ridiculously low? I'm keeping it on my favorite list for a future buy.

And this sheet for $168.00

I thought I better ask before buying.
Micky

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Micky wrote:
I thought I better ask before buying.

Micky
I read it but I cannot believe it.

$400+ for possibly $50 of material?

A badly toned $20 Lettercard, and an off centred and tatty ½d Roo pane?

Is it April 1 ALREADY?
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Micky

Post by Micky »

Thanks Glen for pointing this out, yes toned but I am not familiar with these so I just asked. You saved my wallet though.

Lucky I didn't show the 5/-, 10/- and 1 pound roo and map for $220 from the same seller I would be more embarrassed :oops:

Cheers
Micky

Joy Daschaudhuri

Post by Joy Daschaudhuri »

vikingeck wrote: Come on Joy ------------This is still an English language site, the cover is addressed English Style so what justification is there for writing "Moskva Rossija"?
I think I had described in detail my approach to Anglicized toponomy.
If you find it challenging to comprehend, either do not read my posts or learn to read.

ivqii

Post by ivqii »

Joy Daschaudhuri wrote:
vikingeck wrote: Come on Joy ------------This is still an English language site, the cover is addressed English Style so what justification is there for writing "Moskva Rossija"?
If you find it challenging to comprehend, either do not read my posts or learn to read.
I don't find it challenging - what I do find is pretentiousness
Nobody will ever win the Battle of the Sexes. There's just too much fraternizing with the enemy

goof
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by goof »

ottawasteve wrote:Up for sale soon at Corinphila (https://stampauctionnetwork.com/CO/CO19553.cfm):

Australia 1919Â (Oct 1): Ross Smith Flight, England to Australia. Special Blue stamp (some irregular perfs at left), tied by one of two crisp strikes of "First Aerial Mail, Great Britain to Australia, Received, 26 Feb. 1920" on cover from Baghdad to Sydney, with autograph "Bennett 12. 12. 19" on reverse. The cover has its original content and is heavily damaged but skillful supported. In spite of its faults a very desirable cover.

What would be a reasonable price for this? Opening is 1500 Swiss Francs.

Thanks.

Steve

Steve

As nobody else has, I will stick my neck out and say that in view of the relative scarcity of these covers, even in this condition I would guess it will achieve well in excess of treble the starting price.

There are a couple of features with this cover, apart from the scarce Ross Smith vignette which appears to obtain in excess of $2000-2500 on cover, or even on piece.

Baghdad only came under British occupation in 1917, I have a couple of covers from this era and they always obtain a large premium over similar from other areas. I doubt very much there are more than a handful of covers from Baghdad with the Ross Smith.

The writer would have been stationed in Baghdad and the initial mail sent On Active Service, it would then have passed to an intermediate, where it would have made its way to Ross Smith on his flight from England to Australia.

The cover has a note saying dated Baghdad 10/1/18, this was very early in the conflict and British forces had only taken control of Western Persia some 2 days earlier! The Autograph Bennett on the reverse may relate to the intermediary or the correspondent. The cover took over 2 years to be delivered 26th Feb 1920 so hopefully it wasn't important :?

There was a Private Harold William BENNETT, 11947, 2nd Battalion, Queens Own Royal West Kent Regiment wounded in Baghdad at this time.

Hopefully others may also voice their opinion.

regards
Mick

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

ivqii wrote:
Joy Daschaudhuri wrote:
MODERATOR COMMENT:

There's clearly a fine line between "Educated" and "Pretentious", and some will see one and some the other.

Please just settle down both of you! There's no need to comment on these things - just think it if you like but don't derail the purpose of the thread, which is "Should I Buy It?". :idea:

Norbert Jenkins
RUBY Gemstone Stampboard BARONET!
RUBY Gemstone Stampboard BARONET!

Post by Norbert Jenkins »

gavin-h wrote:
ivqii wrote:
Joy Daschaudhuri wrote:
MODERATOR COMMENT:

There's clearly a fine line between "Educated" and "Pretentious", and some will see one and some the other.

Please just settle down both of you! There's no need to comment on these things - just think it if you like but don't derail the purpose of the thread, which is "Should I Buy It?". :idea:
Perhaps we can spin up a separate thread to discuss this, as it is a topic worth speaking about?

I happen to be on the side opposite Joy Daschaudhuri on this topic (see this reply in another thread related to this subject). However, I do believe that a conversation can be had and I am open to being persuaded if the argument is convincing.

Clearly, Joy Daschaudhuri has a strong view on which spelling of place names should be used. And it appears others have a strong view that opposes this position, so perhaps a debate would generate some light (and not too much heat) on the subject.

I respect Joy Daschaudhuri greatly for his knowledge in my collecting area (which is far superior to mine) and so I am hoping to learn something from him in a debate about this subject. I agree with Gavin however that this topic isn't the place to have the discussion.

Are you interested, Joy Daschaudhuri, in having such a debate? I do hope so! If so, please spin up a new topic and I will keep an eye out for it and post in it with my thoughts on the subject.

Respectfully yours,

Norbert

ewen s
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by ewen s »

Steve, all names and addresses of Ross Smith cover recipients were obtained from the govt archives in Canberra.

The one you show is #10 in the AAMC and #185 in the in the 'Ross Smith Air Stamp' booklet.

The AAMC notes which ones have been seen and the one you show is one of 208 seen (364 carried). Maybe only 300 max still exist according to the catalogue. Off cover, it is estimated that 75 out of the 87 stamps still exist.

Still doesn't help you decide if you want it!

jrobb
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by jrobb »

Came across this on ebay and it looks like a very plain old album but it contains an absolutely crackerjack pre-1900 global collection. Condition is excellent, and foxing is virtually non-existent which is amazing considering the age of the stamps. The bidding is currently over $1700 USD, and I have a feeling it will go quite a bit higher. It's well outside of my price range but thought it a rare enough find (especially for ebay) that I should post it up here for others to see. Judging from the hinge remnants it looks the best parts of the collection were cherry-picked - I think it would have been a real treat to see beforehand.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371196948540?

edit: adding seller information and ebay item # as per the forum rules. The seller is L_p_i, which appears to be a French company, "La philatelie internationale". Ebay item # 371196948540
Interests: collecting worldwide through the 80's and sorting through kiloware!

danski99
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by danski99 »

Hi folks,

Would value input on this one. It's Barbados SG103, the highest value of the QV definitive set from 1886. Not that easy to come by. Cat is £170 (at least it is per SG 2014), and the few I see offered by dealers are upwards of £90.00 (though a nice looking copy did go for just under £50 on ebay yesterday). Much as I want it to complete the set, that's a bit much for me. I've been offered this example below at circa £25, which is LHM and a nice looker... but as you can see it has a missing perf on the left. Is £25 a decent price given the imperfection? Am assuming not a huge number of these were issued (though perhaps Jon or another "Barbadophile" will be able to confirm that...)

Cheers,

Danski

JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

Hi Dan,

Nice stamp and for £25 it seems a fair price. The answer to your earlier question is that there were 3,600 printed in total; the first batch of 2,400 in 1886 lasted until September 1892 when another 1,200 were ordered.

Oddly these were all taken off sale at the end of 1892 as the first 'Seal of the Colony' issues were released but this newly issued set did not include a 5/- value. There is no notes of how many were returned and destroyed nor indeed when this would have happened however with over 4 million of the 1d stamps printed in this period the 3,600 of the 5/- stamp seems a very small proportion.

On top of this it is likely, given that there was no replacement 5/- (just a 2/6) that the 5/- may have continued to be used for a short time afterwards however I have never seen one on cover so it may be difficult to confirm this.

For me therefore I would get it :D

Jon
Barbados, Commonwealth, France & Colonies, GB, Line Engraved, Intaglio & Recess printed stamps
http://www.barbadosstamps.co.uk

Rob1956
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Rob1956 »

jrobb. I noticed there are stamps with missing perfs, some with rust, there are a few so badly creased it looks as there was some repair to one of them and all hinged (some are so flat against the page it seems they were stuck in - I might be wrong).

The Victorian stamp held by the tweezers is heavily hinged. The second "Divers" page (I assume that what it is called) shows torn stamps and what seems to be creases caused by the hinge.

And many are so heavily cancelled it nearly obliterated the stamp design.

In my opinion US $2,950.00 is far too much to pay for damaged stamps, although there are a small number in very reasonable condition, but it doesn't justify the hefty price tag for my liking.

Some may disagree, but that's my input.
Australian Commonwealth Collectors Club of NSW. Member ACCC of NSW

danski99

Post by danski99 »

JonEboy wrote:Hi Dan,

Nice stamp and for £25 it seems a fair price. The answer to your earlier question is that there were 3,600 printed in total; the first batch of 2,400 in 1886 lasted until September 1892 when another 1,200 were ordered.

Oddly these were all taken off sale at the end of 1892 as the first 'Seal of the Colony' issues were released but this newly issued set did not include a 5/- value. There is no notes of how many were returned and destroyed nor indeed when this would have happened however with over 4 million of the 1d stamps printed in this period the 3,600 of the 5/- stamp seems a very small proportion.

On top of this it is likely, given that there was no replacement 5/- (just a 2/6) that the 5/- may have continued to be used for a short time afterwards however I have never seen one on cover so it may be difficult to confirm this.

For me therefore I would get it :D

Jon
Jon

Many thanks indeed for the information and the advice. All in all it feels like a good deal. I can't help feeling that some of the higher value stamps from this period, issued in just a few thousand print runs, must be undervalued vis a vis some of their lower denomination brethren.

JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

danski99 wrote:
Many thanks indeed for the information and the advice. All in all it feels like a good deal. I can't help feeling that some of the higher value stamps from this period, issued in just a few thousand print runs, must be undervalued vis a vis some of their lower denomination brethren.
Over or undervalued, I always maintain that they simply don't make them any more :lol: If you see it, like it and can afford it then buy it. And if you see something exceptional that you've never seen before, buy it anyway :lol:

Jon
Barbados, Commonwealth, France & Colonies, GB, Line Engraved, Intaglio & Recess printed stamps

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Would compliment my WW2 postmark-of-the-day-type cover collection nicely, with both postmark and the additional slogan. Other thoughts for AU$55?

And this one for AU$15... Can anyone make out the month in the postmark?

ewen s

Post by ewen s »

The second one looks like a single digit for the month so unless it's a 9 then it's too early. If I had to take a punt I'd guess an 8

maturin
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by maturin »

I'm trying to choose between two sets of SG 17 and 21.

From the British Occupation of Baghdad in WWI (SG puts them in Iraq; Scott, in Mesopotamia).

Each set is the same price. $360.

Catalogue value: the red one is US$690; the blue one is US$210.

Which set would you buy, knowing the value is mostly in the red one?

TOP ONE?

OR

BOTTOM ONE?

Please help quick! My money is burning a hole in my pocket!

Carmine Rose
Iraq - SG 21 (1A on 20pa - date between crescent and 6-pointed star))
Mesopotamia - Scott N17

Ultramarine/Pale Blue
Iraq - SG 17 (2A on 1pi - date in crescent)
Mesopotamia - Scott N18
- maturin -
Best omnibus issue of 1862: royal wedding of Victoria to Abe Lincoln

JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

Hi maturin,

I should preface this with the caveat that it's not an area I collect so I am not that familiar with these stamps, but I would buy neither.

Both sets have faults by the look of it and so I understand your dilemma. It would be good just to have the better one from each :!:

Are there any other dealers you could get them from? How long have you been looking for them and is it worth holding on a bit longer for something better? And in the meantime how about spending some of that cash on fireproof trousers :lol: :lol:

Jon

maturin

Post by maturin »

JonEboy wrote:Hi maturin,

I should preface this with the caveat that it's not an area I collect so I am not that familiar with these stamps, but I would buy neither.

Both sets have faults by the look of it and so I understand your dilemma. It would be good just to have the better one from each :!:

Are there any other dealers you could get them from? How long have you been looking for them and is it worth holding on a bit longer for something better? And in the meantime how about spending some of that cash on fireproof trousers :lol: :lol:

Jon
They're both lots in an auction by a reputable US dealer, so I don't think they'll let me take the red from the top one and the blue from the bottom. Personally, I am prejudiced against puffy perfs. But that blue one has a nice overprint.

You're right about the trousers though. I've heard that fire is bad for stamps.
- maturin -
Best omnibus issue of 1862: royal wedding of Victoria to Abe Lincoln

Machaggis52
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Machaggis52 »

Rob1956 wrote:jrobb. I noticed there are stamps with missing perfs, some with rust, there are a few so badly creased it looks as there was some repair to one of them and all hinged (some are so flat against the page it seems they were stuck in - I might be wrong).

The Victorian stamp held by the tweezers is heavily hinged. The second "Divers" page (I assume that what it is called) shows torn stamps and what seems to be creases caused by the hinge.

And many are so heavily cancelled it nearly obliterated the stamp design.

In my opinion US $2,950.00 is far too much to pay for damaged stamps, although there are a small number in very reasonable condition, but it doesn't justify the hefty price tag for my liking.

Some may disagree, but that's my input.
I agree. Germany is my collecting area, and there are a few nice copies there, the majority are nothing special though.
With kind regards, Jim

Machaggis52

Post by Machaggis52 »

DarrenK wrote:This Berlin overprint set is listed up as:

"Germany Berlin, 1949, Michel # 21/34 complete mint MH, cleanly / lightly hinged, all signed by Schlegel. Highly sought after set. Very fine. CATALOGUE VALUE 550 €"

Having a close look at the overprints and comparing to others I have I don't think they are genuine. There are a lot of inconsistencies with the thickness and shapes, particularly some of the "B"s. The 2, 10, 15 and 20Pf are all cheap so unlikely to be faked while the 1Mk and 2Mk are €300 and €140 each.
I have decided not to bid but would welcome others thoughts.

Thank you.
The 'litmus test' on these is the backs. There should be a raised area where the overprints were stamped on.

Variances in letter thickness can be a result of heavy inking.

My eyesight isn't good enough to see the Schlegel marks clearly, but they look OK.

As to faking the low values, well if you want to sell a set...
With kind regards, Jim

FredH
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by FredH »

I am collecting the Lakatoi bi-colour issues but apparently these monocolour(1911-1916) were unpopular so were replaced. For some reason it appeals to me but its AUD$130. Worth it or not?

FredH

Post by FredH »

No one responded, bought the mono cover
Fred

JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

FredH wrote:No one responded, bought the mono cover
Fred
Sorry Fred, missed the question but if it's any consolation I like the cover. Appears genuine postal usage.

Also as Manchester is just up the road from me I can tell you that assuming the recipient address is 29 Princess Street, which is one of the better known streets in Manchester (take a look here), today it is a Costa Coffee.

Jon

Rob1956

Post by Rob1956 »

29 Princess Street, Manchester, England (courtesy of Google Earth)

vikingeck
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by vikingeck »

from the Architectural style I cannot believe this is the same building as was there when the Papua cover was posted .

Same Site ...........post war building replacement ?
whatever it is -------it's better than a poke in eye with a wet umbrella !

goof

Post by goof »

vikingeck wrote:from the Architectural style I cannot believe this is the same building as was there when the Papua cover was posted .

Same Site ...........post war building replacement ?
Quite correct, this building is part of the Pearl Assurance House and back in the 80's and 90's the area used by Costa was Jessops Cameras.

The original building was destroyed in the war and the replacement was constructed in 1954/55.

Old memories of Manchester :D

Mick

FredH

Post by FredH »

Thanks for responding.
Bit of follow up history there, I'll put it with the cover.
Purchased from Ebay, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Fred

Micky

Post by Micky »

Since German Inflation Stamps thread seems to attracted me, I thought I better ask before spending the money, and since the below have possibilities bringing high prices I thought I better ask first.

$5

$7

Your thoughts?

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

What would be a fair price for these GB colonies:

They are 5.50€ at the moment with about 3hours to go.

Cheers,
Chris
"Consider the postage stamp, son. It secures success through its ability to stick to one thing till it gets there." Josh Billings [Henry Wheeler Shaw (April 21, 1818 – October 14, 1885)]

Micky

Post by Micky »

Silly I know but (some) forgeries are doing ok on the market. Should I buy or run away from it.

Surprising it has a similar circular cancel I showed on the Qld numeral thread, with 4 rings.

$11.00
International website.

Micky

Micky

Post by Micky »

Thank you to Glen for assisting me on the forgery on another thread, Money saved.

jimwentzell

Post by jimwentzell »

Micky wrote:Since German Inflation Stamps thread seems to attracted me, I thought I better ask before spending the money, and since the below have possibilities bringing high prices I thought I better ask first.

$5

$7

Your thoughts?
===============================

Mickey,

I believe the first cover, with the two 5pf boxed-numerals, might be a good choice; I don't often see them on cover (I have about 800 Inflation-era covers, and only maybe three or four with those early 5pf and 10pf values--some scarcer varieties are very pricey and highly valued on cover).

The second cover with the 75pf Germania might be the scarcer (non-war time?) printing but I'd probably pass on that one, unless it was in a dollar box!

Maybe someone with a Michel-Spezial can verify this; I'm away from my stamps and catalog :-(
--Jim in Georgia always interested in postal history, covers & cards (no FDC)
B u y - s e l l - t r a d e .................................... e - m a i l .. m e !

Micky

Post by Micky »

Hey thanks Jim, I haven't purchased the items yet but will be now. Will show them when arrive.

Micky

jimwentzell

Post by jimwentzell »

sometimes a cover is just enchanting but really only bin-fodder; this one I realize has really awful-condition stamps but seeing the stamps were already damaged when this letter was posted seems to mitigate the fact....or does it?

Seems way overpriced at GBP70.

Perhaps I'll offer seven quid......on second thought even that seems too much.

Yet somehow I think it might sell, somehow, sometime, to someone, who will fall in love with this clearly mangled gem-that-never-was.

Thoughts???
B u y - s e l l - t r a d e .................................... e - m a i l .. m e !

Rob1956

Post by Rob1956 »

Both stamps are damaged and the envelope has been defaced, wouldn't give 70p for it.

Heinz55

Post by Heinz55 »

Hi Jim,
I like the cancels, so I would buy it at a reasonable price (3 GBP, no more).
Do not always listen to the purists.
Cheers
Heinz

Machaggis52

Post by Machaggis52 »

$US27.50, including postage. :D or :( ?
With kind regards, Jim

jimwentzell

Post by jimwentzell »

I like wing margins on cover; the description says:

Tied by Glasgow 4 Apr 1861 duplex cancel on folded cover to Montreal 17 Apr. "Via Londonderry & Portland per North Briton". F, small edge tear ....Est 75.00+

the scan isn't very hi-res so I can't really gauge the small edge tear" but it seems worth an appropriate bid....estimate at a reputable US auction house is US$75.00.
=================================
all the more reason to use an auction agent; I have narrowed my choices to two or three I know (or know of).

This thread deals with auction agents (thanks, mods, for changing the thread name.) I see we already have some discussions!

https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25465

jimwentzell

Post by jimwentzell »

Heinz55 wrote:Hi Jim,
I like the cancels, so I would buy it at a reasonable price (3 GBP, no more).
Do not always listen to the purists.
Cheers
Heinz
================
Yes Heinz, I agree. Covers that are damaged (rough-opened) or with damaged stamps that were torn or otherwise damaged when affixed have appealed to me since I got into covers at age 15 or so. Kind of like the ugly duckling that no-one wants. If the price seems "discounted" enough I often bid/buy them.

Only thing is, there will be no morphing into a beautiful swan (the cover will always be "filler" or "bin material" but I would pay also maybe up to $8 or $10.

jimwentzell

Post by jimwentzell »

JonEboy wrote:
danski99 wrote:
"Over or undervalued, I always maintain that they simply don't make them any more"
..........................Jon
======================================
Jon, my feelings exactly. Sometimes (as a collector, never looking or thinking about profit short OR long-term) we all make purchasing decisions we may later regret.

And there are some that turn out to be, financially speaking, wise decisions. But it may take years for the results to be obvious; even then it may not stay that way.

So I usually end up going with my first instinct (listening to my heart, rather than my wallet)

joelk
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by joelk »

Machaggis52 wrote:Image

Neither :D nor :( .

It would be interesting to know the condition: MNH or MH, are any stamps toned? The catalog value is 29 Euros, so this is no bargain, but the set is complete, which is a plus.

Cheers,
Joel.

memphre

Post by memphre »

Machaggis52 wrote:Image

Why pay that much when a complete MNH set is available for 9 or 10€ from a variety of sellers on Delcampe?

https://www.delcampe.net/page/list/language,F,cat,24126,var,T ... caise.html

Memphre
I'm also Memphre on Delcampe. Always about 15,000 items in my Delcampe store: stamps, postcards and postal history. See it here: http://www.delcampe.net/boutiques/memphre

joelk

Post by joelk »

That makes sense. Delcampe will be the the right place to go.

Geordie Boy

Post by Geordie Boy »

I have the chance of bidding on this SG51.

Basically my question is, is it worth bidding on and up to how much? :)

Parisboy

Post by Parisboy »

It's just filler material as it is missing the top margin. Tuppence, tops.

Chris.

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”