Bargains picked up from Online Auctions

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Lundy
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Bargains picked up from Online Auctions

Post by Lundy »

Here is a nice variety I picked up for a couple of pounds, a big scratch through the middle of the stamp, perfs a little short bottom right and gum a little toned, but unusual I think...

Lundy :D

The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by The Pom »

Nice one. That's position 2L34.
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.

JonEboy
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by JonEboy »

Nice find Lundy. Bargains everywhere if you know what you are looking for...

Jon
Barbados, Commonwealth, France & Colonies, GB, Line Engraved, Intaglio & Recess printed stamps
http://www.barbadosstamps.co.uk

Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

Recently obtained this item from Ebay. It' has a strike of a previously unrecognized Eitape date-stamp. The design is similar to the one that preceded it but, as shown in my proposed ACCCNSW Bulletin article as seen in a separate post, the earlier similar date-stamp did not have the numerals in its year date-wheel to be able to depict the years ending in '1' & '2'; something this newly found one was able to do.

This example is dated "10JY22". I'll be calling this new type "28a" since it chronologically sits between Powell's "28" and "29".
Looking for NSW cut-down relief date stamps, as seen in my avatar, to add to my collection.

wilko
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by wilko »

I recently saw a small lot of Edward VII halfpenny green stamps for sale on ebay. The main picture was of 2 horizontal pairs and a single and the second picture was a pile of what I thought was about 50 stamps of no particular value, but worth sorting through just in case. I bid a little more than I thought they were worth just because it would give me something to do.

My bid succeeded and they arrived yesterday. In fact I got them for a bit less than my top bid. I soon discovered there were more than just a couple of pairs. I found these

and these

and these

and these

and these

and these

and these

and some vertical pairs

and more

and more

and some singles

and more singles

and more still

and a few of the blue green as well for good measure

What pleased me as much as anything is that a lot of the pairs are 1911 postmarked and may well be Harrison printings. In fact I have no doubt some of them are. I will post some of the nicer pairs next time round.

Not bad for £2.42 ??

Rog

Post by Rog »

:lol: Someone has something to do during lockdown!
My Stamp Blog : The Stamp Book

wilko

Post by wilko »

I said I would post some of the better ones. I start with my absolute favourite. A cracking Hovingham CDS in a very deep shade

Hereford

Herne Bay

Weston

Wrexham

Hanley

Wooler

Jarrow

Hyde

Clavering

Guilsborough (never heard of it)

Lewes -shame about the damage

Newcastle

Unknown - in deep shade

All very lovely and there appear to be a few Harrison printings, though no perf 15x14 unfortunately. I do struggle at times to ID the Harrison stamps but the dates and shades do point strongly to many being Harrisons. I would say the DLR are Weston, Wrexham, Hyde , Lewes , Clavering (?) and perhaps Wooler (??) and Hovingham , of course. Does anyone agree/disagree?

fchd
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by fchd »

I think what you have identified as Jarrow is actually Harrow.

wilko

Post by wilko »

fchd wrote:I think what you have identified as Jarrow is actually Harrow.
You may well be right.

A bit of sorting and cleaning has produced a few discoveries. Firstly these

You will note that the lower pair are wmk (imperial crown) inverted. Not massively rare with a CV of about £9 per stamp, but I haven't seen one before. To my surprise the dull blue-green with inverted wmk comes in at £650!

The other pair are from the sheet edge. You can see the bottom of an "S" on the right, the bottom of an "A" on the left and the bottom of the "T" is either side of the row of perfs. Part of "POSTAGE" running down the sheet edge. Again I have not seen this before.

I said I didn't think there were any Harrison 15x14, but I was wrong.

SG279a, cataloguing at circa £45 per stamp, so how much for a nice pair?

I will post some of the other nicer pairs later and then probably do a round up when I have sorted them all.

wilko

Post by wilko »

I said I would post a few more of the better pairs, starting with HanleyImage

Newcastle

Sidcup

Clapton

Wealdstone

Lytham

This one seems to have a bit of a blotchy print

Just a round up to do when I have them sorted.

xanthorrea

Post by xanthorrea »

josto wrote:and the backs of the postcards:

Greetings josto
Josto,
You certainly made a nice bargain with that lot. As a note one of the cards is a Western Australian one addressed to Balbarrup, which was a small timber mill in the southwest of the state. It closed in the mid-1920s and incoming mail would have been fairly limited.

I have a friend who has a connection to the place and seeing it reminded me of him. Nice item and with the other material well worth the price.
Cheers, Brina
Collects India to 1947, 1911 Coronation Durbar, British Empire, worldwide postal history, Australia used on cover and anything else interesting. I'll think of something more inspiring one day.

josto
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by josto »

Hi Brina,

Thank you very much for this information!

Greetings

Josto

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Not my collecting niche, and philatelic rather than true postal per se I think, but it'll will slip nicely into my album for $16.50. Nice item, nonetheless.

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

This one took weeks to arrive, but well worth it. It was posted from Brooklyn, USA, on the same day as Nazi Germany launched their invasion of Denmark (and, subsequently, Norway)...

norvic

Post by norvic »

wilko wrote:Guilsborough (never heard of it)

Guilsborough /b]- parish and village 10m NW of Northampton. 2248 acres, pop 501. PO & TO. In the vicinity are the seats of Guilsborough Court, Grange, Hall, and House. (Bartholomews, 1931)

The Court is now a gallery, and the Grange is or has been a zoo or wildlife park. Not bad for a place so small - still under 700.

And the HYDE postmark is a nice skeleton.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

josto

Post by josto »

Hi!

I couldn`t resist this ebay auction lot at 5,95US$ including shipping costs! When I spotted it, I immediately put in the bid and hoped nobody else had seen it! Even if the stamp has some smaller faults, I would call it a real bargain! It seems to be a quite late state of the 2d grey kangaroo 3rd wmk "substituted cliche" with the additional frame break at the lower right frame (cat. value 2250AU$)! Now, in this difficult Covid19 time, I only hope it will safely find it`s way from the USA to Germany!

Greetings

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

Great buy josto, a cracking find.

Yes, that's a late state with the top of the 2d almost missing, lots of wear around TWO PENCE and the lower right frame.

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

This turned up today. It was described as SG 73/74 (Third wmk) and 111/112 (Small multi wmk). Total CV for these is £160.

They are actually:

SG 73 CTO: CV $A25.
SG 74 CTO: CV $A100
SG 29 (2nd wmk 2/- Brown): CV $A350
SG 112 with variety L38 "Weeping Kangaroo" CV $A400

Not too bad at £32.50 plus post.

wilko

Post by wilko »

Picked these up on Delcampe a few weeks back for £18. Clearly stamps 2 and 4 had some issues but I had spotted that the top left stamp was perf 12.5 vertically making it either SG16 or 17, which I don't have in unused (Cat £160/£180 mint).

When they arrived it became clear that the first stamp was SG17, which filled one of the few gaps I have. What I hadn't noticed was that stamp 5 was perf 12.5 all round making it SG15 (Cat £275 mint). As for the others, when I looked at stamp 6 it became clear that it was the best match for SG12, bright orange-yellow (CV £160 mint) and my only other gap in the Wmk Crown CC series. I had been looking for a cheap one on Ebay but the lowest price I could find was £75.

Needless to say quite happy with the deal at £3 each.

Rog

Post by Rog »

Well spotted :D
My Stamp Blog : The Stamp Book

faro

Post by faro »

wilko wrote:Needless to say quite happy with the deal at £3 each.
Unusual to say the least to have three out of six being expensive items and in relatively good condition! :)

josto

Post by josto »

Hi!

This little beautiful ebay lot arrived safe yesterday from Australia. Paid 17,70AU$ including shipping costs! It was offered as "Australia KGV minor varieties"! I had a close look and thought it might well be worth a bid! The pictures were really bad with low resolution, but there was one stamp, which caught my eye, stamp three in the third row of the first scan, a 4d KGV dated AU19. When I offered the sending yesterday, I was glad my eyes didn`t play tricks on me. I`ve put together the better stamps on a hagner to scan them. Here is the result:

1. stamp: KGV 4d orange perf.OS NSW with "tin shed flaw"
2. stamp: KGV 4d orange with "tin shed flaw"
3. stamp: KGV 4d orange perf. OS variety ACSC 110(2)g "white dot under D in right value shield" pos. 2L22 (cat. 75AU$ for cheapest shade)
4. stamp: KGV 4d orange with "tin shed flaw" but plateable as pos. 1L49
5. stamp: common KGV 4d orange
6. stamp: KGV 4d orange variety ACSC 110(2)ea "Circular white flaw below PO of POSTAGE" - State II "correction showing Inverted "V" flaw above "O" of FOUR" pos. 2L8 (cat. 500AU$!)
7. stamp: KGV 4d orange variety ACSC 110(2)va "PE of PENCE joined" pos. 2R30 (seems to be yellow orange aniline, so cat. 75AU$)
8. stamp: KGV 4d orange variety ACSC 110(2)v "white scratch behing Emu" pos. 2R29 (seems to be the scarce pale-orange yellow, so cat. 200AU$)
9. stamp: KGV 4d olive small multiple wmk perf. 14 perf. OS with nice perforation shift (cat. value for normal OS example is 100AU$)
10. stamp: KGV 2d red single wmk variety ACSC 96(14)i "bulge on top of frame over left wattles" pos. 14R35 (cat. 50AU$)
11. stamps: KGV 2d red single wmk pair (nice missing perf. hole), left stamp variety ACSC(16)o "damaged left frame" pos. 16R5 (cat. value for single stamp 50AU$)
12. stamp: KGV 5d deep chestnut single wmk single-line perf. variety ACSC 122d "eight wattles at right" pos. 1L1 (stamp has nice CTO postmark and original gum) (cat. value for normal used 120AU$ + eventually premium for CTO issue)
13. stamps: KGV 5d chestnut single wmk single-line perf. pair perf.OS, left stamp plateable as 1L19. Under magnifition it seems as the pair could be a "dry ink" variety! (cat. value for normal pair 70AU$, if it turned out to be dry ink, it would be cat. value 900AU$).
Although the condition is quite mixed with some toning, all in all quite a bargain, especially as the stamp I spotted is indeed the scarce corrected II state of 2L8! The total cat. value of the lot (without the dry ink and the tin sheds, which can`t be counted, as there is no cat. listing for them, but they are not too common on other stamps than the 1d reds) is minimum 1250AU$!

Greetings

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Great find!

I think there are some bargains to be had, given the nature of the current global economy and the fact that many folk are trying to get some fast cash, not knowing what they have.

Of course, at the other end of the spectrum, there are also those (I laugh at some things I've seen on Australia's GumTree) who need someone to tell them they're dreaming!

josto

Post by josto »

Hi Catweazle,

thank you very much, it`s right, I`ve made some nice bargains from private sellers, but some bargains indeed came from professional stamp sellers!

Greetings

wilko

Post by wilko »

Not finished fully sorting my £2.42 purchase but I have counted over 120 singles, about 92 horizontal pairs (including several Harrison inc one perf 15 x 14), 33 vertical pairs (including 2 watermark inverted and one sheet edge wmk), one strip of 4 and a few duds . Here's a small selection

IMG_7645.JPG
IMG_7648.JPG
IMG_7650.JPG

The above are just the figures for the yellow- greens. The blue greens are on top. Ironically I was hoping for an early date cancel....but there wasn't one!

wilko

Post by wilko »

Bought on Delcampe for 16 Euros. A rather monochrome scan and a Michel or Yvert catalogue number which probably meant very little to most Bahamas collectors

IMG_7577.JPG

The giveaway was the top perfs which appeared to be 12(actually 11.75 all round) which makes it SG11 catalogue value £500.

stallzer

Post by stallzer »

Quite happy when this one arrived yesterday. It was identified as a Scott # 20 which is a type II and has a catalog value of $275 US. I bid accordingly and when it arrived one of the better Franklin 1¢ minds confirmed it is a Scott #22 which is a B relief type IIIa and to add chips on the cookie it is from Plate 11 and a 1st column piece showing the center line.

A Scott #22 plate 11 copy cats for $525 US not including the premium for the center line 1st column position. Plate 11 has the least amount of information of the 12 plates used (13 total when including plate one late state). Mortimer Neinken stated in his writings that he agreed with Stanley Ashbrook that the probability of reconstruction of plate 11 was dim. Being a B relief I can narrow it down to 5 stamps due to the distribution of the reliefs.
Attachments
IMG_20200606_0002.jpg
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."

jojo
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by jojo »

My best ebay purchase , about $AU55

SA 3d on 4d blue pair
SA 3d on 4d blue pair

I was rather delighted when I saw this in the flesh.....

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

MODERATOR COMMENT

jojo,
To 99.9% of the Board members, your post is completely pointless. As I have previously stated on several occasions, unless you tell us why the item is a bargain, and give us some idea of value, we learn nothing.

So far, all I know is you've bought a pair of overprinted stamps postmarked Moonta Mines for $55.

Thanks
Chris

jojo

Post by jojo »

Apologies.

Shade is Prussian blue - rare - even more so as a pair. SG 66, and earliest recorded date.

Typical value for a single, at auction, is $400-600.

60022Mallard

Post by 60022Mallard »

Anyone spot an interesting item in this lot? It is not difficult!

Forgery.jpg

Winning bid - £4.20.

I did bid rather more.

This is the 5th example of the forgery, out of around 30 known ( but probably several more exist), that I have purchased on eBay for a total of about £10 plus postage.

Unlike many forgeries, it is well known enough to get its own mention in the SG catalogues in a footnote

Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

Just received this nice pair of NWPI (New Guinea) 1d OS Rosine SG O16 (cat. £380) Were listed as SG O3 (cat. £110) - the more common carmine-red. Quite happy to get them for $55(Can) including postage.
01.0d Geo BES 2130 131 type 4 2400 COM.jpg
Looking for NSW cut-down relief date stamps, as seen in my avatar, to add to my collection.

HalfpennyYellow

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

I just received the following eBay lot which I had purchased some time ago but which was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. These are a group of Kenya Judicial revenue stamps from 1928-30, which are overprinted on Kenya & Uganda postage & revenue stamps depicting King George V.

The overprints come in two types and these are mixed (1s, 3s, 4s and 5s from the first type, and the 2s, 10s and £1 from the second type). Each stamp catalogues between £10 and £35 in the 2019 Barefoot, so I think the lot was quite a bargain at a total of $19.50 (USD) including postage.
Kenya Judicial.jpg
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

rehautala

Post by rehautala »

60022Mallard wrote:
22 Jun 2020 21:23
Anyone spot an interesting item in this lot? It is not difficult!

Winning bid - £4.20.

I did bid rather more.

This is the 5th example of the forgery, out of around 30 known ( but probably several more exist), that I have purchased on eBay for a total of about £10 plus postage.

Unlike many forgeries, it is well known enough to get its own mention in the SG catalogues in a footnote
Sorry, but please tell us which one is the forgery and what its value is. Thanks.

HalfpennyYellow

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

rehautala wrote:
22 Jun 2020 23:16
Sorry, but please tell us which one is the forgery and what its value is. Thanks.
It's the first of the 50c stamps, which is described as "Forgery 1c dyed+altered" in the annotations on the page.

I recall that the forgeries were produced by altering 1c stamps into 50c stamps.
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

andy66

Post by andy66 »

HalfpennyYellow wrote:
22 Jun 2020 23:31
rehautala wrote:
It's the first of the 50c stamps, which is described as "Forgery 1c dyed+altered" in the annotations on the page.

I recall that the forgeries were produced by altering 1c stamps into 50c stamps.
So this is a forgery to defraud the postal service, to earn 49 c.? That is, not to deceive collectors. That would be interesting
Andy66
Friuli - Italy

RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by 22028 »

The shown Tibet Lot, described as "TIBET - from old collection - sold as seen" i could not let go and i got it for £16 and invested even shipping by registered osotage!

Basically all in the lot is fake, however, the bottom right stamp is a half proof sheet of the 2 Tr. value, 1933 issue.
Complete sheets usually sell, when on the market, for $ 5000, even half sheets usually sell for $ 1500-2000

Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
Collecting Interests: Tibet, Nepal-Classic Issues, Iran-First Issue (Lion stamps), Iraq-Railway stamps 1928-1942, Overland Mail Baghdad - Haifa, SCADTA, the provisional Registration stamps issue 1921, Colombia, the private carrier stamps.

60022Mallard

Post by 60022Mallard »

andy66 wrote:
23 Jun 2020 07:59
HalfpennyYellow wrote:
22 Jun 2020 23:31
rehautala wrote:

So this is a forgery to defraud the postal service, to earn 49 c.? That is, not to deceive collectors. That would be interesting
A lot of hard work to make 49c by the forger.

One cover exists with 14 forgeries arranged to look like blocks, but actually all individual stamps carefully arranged. I believe only one genuine pair is known.

As to value, I believe one sold for Sing$5000 at an auction, I have picked up 5 for £10.

I believe this example to be an early effort as the forger appears to have improved over time the "greeness" of changing the white paper of the 1c used to the green of the 50c.

Forgeiv.jpg
Attachments
Forgeiva.jpg

aerogi

Post by aerogi »

Perhaps not a bargain as such, but I bought this lot that was described as used / MH. So I did bid accordingly. From the few stamps that are missing in my Belgium collection, I am missing a number of these with labels with from this particular set, so used or MH, I'd be happy to get them. Catalogue values differ from a few euros to a massive 845 MNH for the hardest to find item.
DSC_1286_1.JPG
DSC_1287.JPG
This particular one is also catalogued as one of the harder to find items with CV 470 for MNH or 158 for MH or used.

And what a coincidence, just this one from this lot is MNH, all the others are MH or used as described in the add.

that's a fun surprise as these are very, very difficult to find not hinged. I do have a complete set with 70c and 75c MNH. I might start a topic one day with these kind of label stamps from my country.

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

This lot was listed as "Australia 20 assorted FDC's" and accompanied by the photo below.

FDCs.jpg

The one that interested me was the 1955 Australia-USA partially visible in the scan.

Australia-USA FDC
Australia-USA FDC

Members with long memories may remember Glen's column from June 2003.

https://www.glenstephens.com/snjune03.html

Aust USA FDC.jpg

This is only the second example of this cachet I've ever seen, and the first one in this colour. The whole lot was £13.46 posted.

MrSamoa
Our Stampboards **MILLIONAIRE!**
Our Stampboards **MILLIONAIRE!**

Post by MrSamoa »

The Pom wrote:
09 Jul 2020 23:06
This lot was listed as "Australia 20 assorted FDC's" and accompanied by the photo below.

The one that interested me was the 1955 Australia-USA partially visible in the scan.

Members with long memories may remember Glen's column from June 2003.

https://www.glenstephens.com/snjune03.html

This is only the second example of this cachet I've ever seen, and the first one in this colour. The whole lot was £13.46 posted.
You have the eyes of an eagle.
Knowledge is power.
Fellowship of Samoa Specialists is not just for specialists: http://www.samoaexpress.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Marty

60022Mallard

Post by 60022Mallard »

MrSamoa wrote:
10 Jul 2020 00:15

You have the eyes of an eagle.
Knowledge is power.
It is indeed.

It is why I sit and count the perforation holes on certain Singapore stamps and look at perforating patterns on BMA Malaya blocks.

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

This innocuous lot of three Roos was listed with a starting price of 99p plus post.

I was surprised to be the only bidder - I expected someone else would have spotted that the middle stamp is GR12 "Cut throat" CV $100.

GR12
GR12

Spartacus

Post by Spartacus »

These two used BSAC-Rhodesia £1 cost me no more than £2 for both.
Not in the best of conditions but still a good-looking pair.

Cheers
Be like a postage stamp. Stick to one thing until you get there.

Ghost07

Post by Ghost07 »

A recent purchase from online had me jumping for joy when as the only bidder, I secured this pair of 1936 French Stamps (SG 553/554) commemorating the 100th Flight between France and South America at 99p. Ok, both come without gum and the 10f has a slight wrinkle top centre and a missing perf on the 1.50f, but with a combined catalogue value of over £526 it represents a decent bargain.

Last edited by CMJ on 19 Jul 2020 22:21, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Unsecure image link(s) corrected

DarrenK

Post by DarrenK »

Yes, even without gum and a slight crinkle, an absolute bargain.

Great buy.
Always interested in trading German material especially post war period.

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

$A45 for a 10/- CofA wmk Roo in reasonable used condition isn't a bad price.

Add in that it's R60 "Very short Spencer's Gulf" CV $500, and it becomes quite a good price.

R60 Very short Spencer's Gulf
R60 Very short Spencer's Gulf

OttSaa
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by OttSaa »

Catweazle wrote:
26 May 2020 21:26
This one took weeks to arrive, but well worth it. It was posted from Brooklyn, USA, on the same day as Nazi Germany launched their invasion of Denmark (and, subsequently, Norway)...

Hi,
It looks to me that this cover are cancelled on 4. not the 9. when the invasion happend.
Regards
Ottar

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

OttSaa wrote:
01 Aug 2020 05:29
Catweazle wrote:
26 May 2020 21:26

Hi,
It looks to me that this cover are cancelled on 4. not the 9. when the invasion happend.
Regards
Ottar
Oh, you're right! There I was thinking it happened on the 4th. Obviously, my flux capacitor broke again! :lol:

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

I spotted a nice one in an otherwise ordinary stock book collection picked up for a modest price on ebay.

Album page
Album page

Misplaced overprint
Misplaced overprint

Misplaced overprint, mint unhinged, CV $575.

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”