Epic FAIL from eBay seller sydneystampcentre (FDC add-ons)

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Epic FAIL from eBay seller sydneystampcentre (FDC add-ons)

Post by The Pom »

As has been documented before on Stampboards, this seller has a habit of buying plain (no cachet) FDCs, printing a suitable picture on them, and then listing them on ebay.

While such a practice is apparently acceptable in the USA, it is 100% frowned upon, to say the least, in Australia. Especially if you accidentally forget to declare the modern addition.

Unfortunately, there has been a slight outbreak of fail on this cover:

https://cgi.ebay.com.au/1955-Australia-Nurse-Medical-Cover_W0QQitemZ350303634860
As he has chosen to illustrate Australia's nursing tradition with a picture of the actresses Hattie Jacques and Joan Hickson, taken from the British comedy film "Carry on Nurse", which came out in 1959, 4 years after the stamp was issued.

The original picture he has used is here:

https://www.britishpictures.com/photos/photo024.htm
He has 2 other 1955 Nurse covers for sale at the minute. Both with recent additions, no doubt images from the web.
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.

mrboggler
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Re: Epic fail from Sydneystampcentre

Post by mrboggler »

He forgot the daffodil. :lol:
Nunawading Stamp Fair
Last Sunday of Every Month - Jaycees Hall Silver Grove - Nunawading.

Ormond
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by Ormond »

Oh dear.

Carrion eBay.

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

Allanswood
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Allanswood »

I smell a rat!
Then again all you have to do is smell the cover! :shock:
The ink will still have a tinge of just printed yesterday aroma!

He should have used Benny Hill instead of the Carry on bunch! :lol: :lol:

Nurse!!! :D
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

This is FRAUD - pure and simple.

And knowing fraud.

Michael Hudson and Co have been flogging this created for collector this junk on ebay for years now. Selling worthless cr*p like this by the 1000s of pieces I feel sure.

He is a member of APTA and last time I heard their answer as to why he had not yet been expelled, that answer was "The collectors sadly do not complain to us, and hence we can't take action"

There are other threads here on his fakery along similar lines, with photos.

Over to the collectors. Add some ebay lot numbers here and maybe at last some action may occur.

Complain to ebay on that portal they have where fakes and forgeries need to be marked as such.

All done on his home ink jet printer it seems.

Last year we highlighted him placing central CTO mini sheets of Chad or somewhere (wholesale 10c a ton type items) on covers he created with a train design or whatever, and called them FDC, and got $10 each or so for them.

All of this breaches about three of the APTA 'Code Of Ethics' they regularly tell collectors all members allegedly adhere to. :shock:

Do a search here on his user name and you'll be amazed.

worldstamps
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by worldstamps »

This is from a thread from years back - seems his attitude to blatantly ripping off collectors has not changed one iota. :twisted:

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3864
ozstamps wrote:
stamps4collectors wrote:
What is the Board's view on these 'confections'? (They can be yours for just US$6 each!)
Interesting .. I see there common CTO sheets - wholesale a few cents each, are being licked on to envelopes laser printed in a design consistent to those offered elsewhere by sydneystampcentre and flogged to the bunnies in sets of 5 for $US30 a set to Churchill collectors.

Deliberate FRAUD is what I'd call it if the laser ink is not yet dry on the envelopes. :roll:
I still believe all the above would likely breach many points of the member Code Of Ethics, that this seller is a member of.

A few emails to APTA should see the matter stopped DEAD in its tracks one would hope. ;)

====================

https://www.apta.com.au/default.aspx?Group=7

I will promote, develop and maintain a high standard of ethics in all my business dealings.

I will, by deed and example, endeavour to promote mutual and friendship between members and the public.

I will refrain from dealing in stolen philatelic and counterfeit material, and give buyers of repaired, regummed, re-perforated, reprinted or otherwise altered philatelic material a complete written statement showing in detail the nature of the changes and alterations in such material.

I will avoid misrepresentation and misleading advertising.

I will conduct myself so as not to bring discredit to the Association or to diminish the prestige of the membership therein.

I will immediately refund on any item sold by me where the description was either inaccurate or misleading, within a reasonable period of time after the transaction.

Justin
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: Epic fail from eBay seller sydneystampcentre (FDC add-on

Post by Justin »

Listed here: https://cgi.ebay.com.au/1970-Australia-Captain-Cook-Mini-Sheet-Cover-B52-/120666126939

One of several Cook covers from this seller described only as 'nice item'. With no description other then the picture any buyer might think they are getting a FDC or something genuine from 1970.

Problem is, the image on the cover is from a Cook Islands series of Captain Cook coins issued in 2009, nor is the minisheet tied to the cover by the 1970 cancel.

See all the coin images here https://colnect.com/en/coins/list/country/1152-Cook_Islands/series/54535-Captain_James_Cook

fromdownunder
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by fromdownunder »

Is that even the Minature Sheet? From the scan, I can't see where the Mini sheet ends and the "cover starts. Usually you can actually see lines where the edge of the sheet would be.

It looks like a photocopy/doctored item which has simply been reproduced onto another medium.

Note that he does not even say that the Cooks are real stamps.

The header is:
1970 Australia Captain Cook Mini Sheet Cover B52
and the description is
Nice item
What in hell is B52 supoposed to mean?

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

This sydneystampcentre is a long time con.

The First Day Of Issue of this sheet was April 26 -- this seems to be a CTO April 27 sheet .. otherwise worth $5, they have licked onto a recently printed "First Day Cover" to con some Bunny into paying $15 for it

I suggest concerned cover collectors report him to APTA . . it is the only language he will ever understand.

Their file on him must be a foot thick over the years for similar incidents.

"I will avoid misrepresentation and misleading advertising."

stampchris
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by stampchris »

The Pom wrote:More fail.
Another giveaway is the use of the Courier typeface for 'First Day Cover' below the image. This font was designed by IBM in 1955, a year after the issue date.
Chris de Haer - Author of 'A Closer Look at Modern Australian Stamps' in Stamp News Australia.Online Shop Latest news on my blog

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

fromdownunder wrote:Is that even the Minature Sheet? From the scan, I can't see where the Mini sheet ends and the "cover starts. Usually you can actually see lines where the edge of the sheet would be.

It looks like a photocopy/doctored item which has simply been reproduced onto another medium.

Note that he does not even say that the Cooks are real stamps.

The header is:
1970 Australia Captain Cook Mini Sheet Cover B52
and the description is
Nice item
What in hell is B52 supoposed to mean?
I think I can see a difference in whiteness between the M/S area and the rest of the envelope...or maybe my eyes just want to see something there. A scan should show the edge of the sheet even if its white on white.

I hate eBay sellers who give a description that's basically a non-description like "nice item". Why bother typing anything then, just leave the box blank and let the scan speak for itself. (Of course on the other hand is the sellers who bog down the description box with endless endless 'fine print' drivel about everything under the sun, but that's another matter).

B52 is probably some sort of inventory code of the seller. I see a lot of eBay sellers put little stock codes in the headline of their items. I often have trouble saying everything I want to say in that headline box, and they have leftover space :?:
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.

ebayer
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by ebayer »

https://cgi.ebay.com.au/1898-New-Zealand-Mount-Cook-Stamp-/120713210131 - $US190

https://cgi.ebay.com.au/1898-New-Zealand-Mount-Cook-Stamp-/120713210110 - $US160

https://cgi.ebay.com.au/1902-Great-Britain-KGV-ll-Stamp-111-/400128022158 - $US275

Buyable from any real dealer globally, in this 3rd rate condition for 10% of that.

This clown does not deserve to belong to ANY stamp dealer body.

Partly cleaned fiscals with amateur fake rubber cancels offered at these crazy prices -- high for genuine POSTAL used even.

Highlander
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by Highlander »

Love the price on stamp number three.Now if his dealer mark up is around industry average I may just have some junk to sell him :lol: :lol:
Long interest in stamps from Great Britain. Avid collector always after good pre 1930 lots

peterh

Post by peterh »

At least his description of number three above is more descriptive: "Nice Item, 5 Shilling Carmine, Slightly Toned, See Scans"

Slightly toned? :lol:
Looks to me like it was found stuck to the sole of someone's shoe!

ebayer

Post by ebayer »

peterh wrote:
At least his description of number three above is more descriptive: "Nice Item, 5 Shilling Carmine, Slightly Toned, See Scans"

"Nice item" - this idiot sydneystampcentre does not mention the VERY obvious vertical crease, on 10 times standard retail "nice item". :twisted:

stamps4collectors

Post by stamps4collectors »

Actually, it could be worth a real fortune as it depicts, according to the subject
line, King George the 7th... maybe one of the Royals we never knew about?
ebayer wrote:
peterh wrote:

"Nice item" - this idiot sydneystampcentre does not mention the VERY obvious vertical crease, on 10 times standard retail "nice item". :twisted:
“A society should be judged not by how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals. The degree of civilisation in a society can be judged by entering its prisons.” - Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoyevsky (1821-1881)

Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Well spotted Brian. I was just about to snap it up but thought etiquette should allow you too as you found it first.
Long interest in stamps from Great Britain. Avid collector always after good pre 1930 lots

gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

Global Administrator wrote:He is a member of APTA and last time I heard their answer as to why he had not yet been expelled, that answer was "The collectors sadly do not complain to us, and hence we can't take action"
Get them on here!

They need to be more proactive and get off their ar5es and chase these frauds down.

THIS thread provides enough evidence to get Sydneystampcentre expelled from any respectable trade body, so they should stop procrastinating and take action before THEIR reputation is harmed. :idea:

erich

Post by erich »

That Edward VII is one fugly stamp between the crease and the toning. And only $50 over Scott CV. :lol:

doug

Post by doug »

https://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120712098782

This looks suss; no red lines.
Auction ended - no bids.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Doug remember to always add a PRICE .. that lot will scroll off in a week or so and no-one will have a clue of what it was.

My feeling is THAT is 100% kosher, and with 2 tiny offices, and many backstamps, is probably well worth the $15 asked!
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

svscnz

Post by svscnz »

This 'sydneystampcentre' guy often puts up NZ 'health covers' on eBay.

None of the designs are listed in the 'Jones' Health FDC catalogue.

It's obvious the covers are fakes.

I was warned about him some years ago by a well-known NZ FDC collector.

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

More naughtiness.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120766095418

The source of the photo he's printed on the cover: (5th picture down on the page).
https://localhistory.kingston.vic.gov.au/htm/imgal/7.htm

Their copyright page:

https://localhistory.kingston.vic.gov.au/htm/support/1.htm

Copyright and Disclaimer

Unless otherwise stated, the material published within the Kingston Historical Website is City of Kingston Information and Library Service copyright (c). No part may be reproduced, in whole or in part, without permission of the City of Kingston Information and Library Service.

All material submitted to the Kingston Historical Website, remains - to the extent the law allows - the property of the submitter who, by submitting it, agrees that it may be freely copied but never sold or used in a commercial venture without the knowledge and permission of its rightful owner.

Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Well done Pom !

Thank you for pointing these out, and finding the original photos as proof, amazing !

This really cheeses me off. :evil:

I collect kangaroo covers for the stamps, illustrations and cachets.

Part of the appeal is watching the changes in graphic styles over the years and how the kangaroo is portrayed.

Same would apply to other topics like "scouting" or "Capt Cook" if I were to collect those.

I would never have known these cachets/illustrations are modern add-ons. :(

I will very much keep my eyes open from now on :wink:

Collecting - Stamps, poster stamps and covers that feature Kangaroos.
Wanted: Illustrated Tourist cover of "Waratah Park", Sydney, NSW. Australia

stampchris

Post by stampchris »

Don't forget that the cover is postmarked in NSW but the photo is of a Victorian scouting group (not that that is obvious from the photograph), but all contributes to the 'falseness' of the cover.

Also the font used for 'First Day Cover' appears to be Verdana which Microsoft released in 1996. Bill Gates was only six at the time!
Chris de Haer - Author of 'A Closer Look at Modern Australian Stamps' in Stamp News Australia.Online Shop Latest news on my blog

jjarmstrong47

Post by jjarmstrong47 »

Hanging's too good for them, I say.
Where do the years go? I went from philandering to philately and didn't even notice.
http://www.engravedstamps.net

Lakatoi 4
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

I've just sent an email to Michael Eastick (Acting President of APTA) outlining the issues raised in this topic and providing a link to this discussion.

I'm sure he will act on the concerns raised here.
Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"

jjarmstrong47

Post by jjarmstrong47 »

It is precisely the good dealers like Michael Eastick who have the most to lose from cretins like this.

If too many people get the impression that dishonesty is the rule rather than the exception amongst ebay (and other) dealers, how can there be any hope of attracting new people to the hobby?
Where do the years go? I went from philandering to philately and didn't even notice.
http://www.engravedstamps.net

Stamp Culture
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by Stamp Culture »

Sounds like that APTA become a joke, when you read this.

Already 3 codes of the APTA are broken:

I will refrain from dealing in stolen philatelic and counterfeit material, and give buyers of repaired, regummed, reperforated, reprinted or otherwise altered philatelic material a complete written statement showing in detail the nature of the changes and alterations in such material.

I will avoid misrepresentation and misleading advertising.

I will conduct myself so as not to bring discredit to the Association or to diminish the prestige of the membership therein.

No action taken to expel someone as collectors did not complain. How 19th century thinking.

One advice to the current APTA president:

Take action to members who are breaching the rules of your trade body before customers become victims!

In the time of internet, information about cons and other misleading dealings can be found on Forums including most times with proof.

Change the rules regarding to:

In the event of any dispute arising between a customer and myself or with any other member of the Association, I agree to abide by any ruling in connection with such dispute as shall be given by the National Committee for the time being of the Association.

Add a complain, pointing out form or something like that so that you can take action before harm is done. We don't talk about a mistake, but people who deliberate do things!

This should not be to difficult to chance if people realy want it.

As now APTA sounds like a big joke with negativity all around bringing honost dealers in doubt by the public. Breaching rules should not wait to been taken action to when a customer found out (s)he got conned!

Respect for the honost dealers of APTA.
Knowledge is Power, but it is worthless when you don't share it! http://www.stampculture.com

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

Today's fail.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2011-Australia-Flying-Boat-Aircra ... 0741372177

If I was printing up a cover to illustrate a service designed to carry mails, passengers and a little light freight, I might use a picture of something like a Short S23 C Class Empire Flying Boat.

Mr Hudson, in his wisdom, has decided to use an image of a Royal Air Force Short Sunderland instead.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/Short_Sunderland_ExCC.jpg

The Short Sunderland was a rather heavily armed beast from WWII, which sported so many machine guns that the German U Boat crews nicknamed it the "Porcupine".

https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=319

jrg

Post by jrg »

Not only that, the background is neither Rose Bay nor the northern side of the Harbour opposite RB.

That's a bit naughty when the cover is clearly labelled "Rose Bay Flying Boat".
John

Looking for used pre-decimal OS/NSW and G/NSW state perfins, and NWPI KGV overprints.

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

He's got a whole load of these "Rose Bay Flying Boat" covers listed at the minute.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2011-Australia-Flying-Boat-Aircra ... 0623062143

This one shows Sunderland T9048 evacuating RAF personnel from Kalamata, Greece in late April 1941.

lauriesienna
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by lauriesienna »

Any response from APTA yet?

Similar to an Ebay response ?

CHzug1291

Post by CHzug1291 »

lauriesienna wrote:
Any response from APTA yet?
This was shown on the board before...
Peter

The Viking
Emerald Level Stampboards KNIGHTHOOD!
Emerald Level Stampboards KNIGHTHOOD!

Post by The Viking »

Arriving late to this thread...

Did no-one else spot that the two Rose Bay Flying Boat covers are "Fist Day"?

--Andy

robertlyon777
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by robertlyon777 »

The Viking wrote:Did no-one else spot that the two Rose Bay Flying Boat covers are "Fist Day"?
That made me laugh out loud - what a poor mistake to make :lol: :lol:

I'm guessing 'Fist Day' could come from disgruntled purchasers :D

donovink

Post by donovink »

Just noticed this one when going through the South African listings!

Advertised as
1876 South Africa Australia Scarce USA Stamp 146
Ebay Listing

GUTTERS
Stampboard's KING Poster of ALL time!
Stampboard's KING Poster of ALL time!

Post by GUTTERS »

Another one from the Sydneystampcentre

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1982-Australia-Sydney-Harbour-Bri ... 708wt_1059
Park Hyatt Sydney (building in the bottom left of picture) which is doing a full refurbish at the moment , the first in it 21 year history.

First day cover 29 years old
Building 21 years old

TIME MACHINE
I AM ALWAYS IN THE MIDDLE
South Sydney Rabbitohs NRL Premiers 1908, 1909, 1914, 1918, 1925, 1926, 1927, 1928, 1929, 1931, 1932, 1950, 1951, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1967, 1968, 1970, 1971, 2014

doc
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by doc »

Looks like this seller "sydneystampcentre" is accused at ongoing forgery - this time Australia Post cancels? -

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34922

APTA appear disinterested in one of their members offering deliberate forgeries for years .. has anyone contacted ebay and reported the listing as fakes?

svscnz

Post by svscnz »

He had the two used 'cleaned fiscals' of the NZ 1898 5/- Mt Cook Pictorials back on eBay a while ago.

I asked if they were genuine used stamps.

Needless to say, I didn't get a reply!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Good to see APTA have now addressed this issue of fake cachets being laser printed onto plain envelopes many decades later, and that action never being disclosed to buyers. -

The thread is –

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=35072

Please add any relevant comments you may have there. The more comments there, and examples of what is in the market (some of these above for starters!) the happier APTA will feel that they have acted I'd guess. :idea:

admin
Site Administrator
Location: That's on a need to know basis - and YOU do not need to know!

Post by admin »

A Melbourne dealer told me on Saturday Michael Hudson "sydneystampcentre" had resigned from APTA this week.

Whether it was one step ahead of an summary execution, I do not know. Anyway good to see he is not in the trade body here - he may still be in NZSDA (he is a Kiwi) - someone might be able to check?

David Smitham

Post by David Smitham »

Michael Hudson is not a member of the NZSDA and has not been for many years.

David.
David Smitham
Royalpex 2021 NZ national stamp exhibition, September 2021, Hamilton, NZ.

Lakatoi 4
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

He was at the Philas auction yesterday buying up things for stock.

traralgon3844

Post by traralgon3844 »

When one takes into consideration the items mentioned above, I have my doubts about this cover and many other similar covers Sydney Stamp Centre has listed at the moment.

At the time of posting there are 132 similar AAT cover all with the WWF logo included somewhere in the cachet. example below.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=%09+2007+WWF+Australia+A ... m270.l1313

One wonders whether the WWF authorised these?

I could imagine getting plain covers done for a total cost of 55 cents per cover and printing whatever you liked on them.
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Pointless in reporting this dealer to APTA as the organisation is not for the collector, only for the the dealers.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I think that the WWF would be very interested to see what has been produced and offered for sale here.

That may look like the offical Logo, however both the "Panda shape" and the lettering "WWF" are copyright and trademarked symbols and every WWF official cover that I have seen has the little © and ® included in the Logo. These do not.

Also each real cover says "Official". These do not.

Is this a case of making money out of a charity?
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

norvic

Post by norvic »

He should be reported to Groth, WWF agents. They will soon jump on him.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Yes I am sure Hans Groth office at WWF has a thick folder on Mr Hudson over the decades and hope they get a few complaints so they can fire up their lawyers. :idea:

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”