Mad bidders on worthless eBay stamp lots

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

bathurst stamper
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: Mad bidders on worthless eBay lots

Post by bathurst stamper »

Maybe someone took a punt on a lot of the material being unhinged?

Sure looks like a clean lot though.

fromdownunder
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by fromdownunder »

This one has me beat:

Blurry scan of part of a block of 40, and it attracts 13 bids by four different bidders, eventually going for AUD 73.99. A pair would normally be sold for 50 cents, and AFAIK part sheets would not attract a premium, so I put AUD 10 on this lot, tops. The description does not enlighten me as to why this attracted such huge bids:
AUST PRE DECIMAL2/2 D NSW SEAL&QUEEN VICTORIA BLOCK OF 40 STAMPS (FREE POSTAGE IN AUSTRALIA) INTERNATIONAL POSTAGE BUY LOCATION
The winning bidder has no history with the seller, 200 feedback and has bid on 883 items in the past 30 days.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AUST-STAMPS-PRE-DECIMAL2-2d-NSW-S ... 7675.l2557

Norm
Geelong, VFA Premiers 1878, 1879, 1800, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1886, AFL Premiers 1925, 1931, 1937, 1951, 1952, 1963, 2007, 2009, 2011, .

Ensky
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by Ensky »

Uncatalogued blurry error variety! :idea:
My guess is that sometimes few bids present attract more bidders. The logic might be - if some people are bidding, this must be good thing. I see good lots, very reasonably priced go unsold, especially those that don't start from 99 cents, but may be from 5% of catalog.
Always wondered how much of this stuff is a result of alcohol and other substances. :mrgreen:

traralgon3844
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by traralgon3844 »

As good a place as any for this lot.

Whilst the lot is not worthless with the impending postage rise imminent. The devil is in the detail on this lot.

Be very careful before you place a bid on similar lots.

Fortunately there were no mad bidders on this lot, it didn't sell.
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Tassie_Stamps
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Tassie_Stamps »

$29.00 Express Post????

:evil:

Caddyman
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Caddyman »

Ensky wrote: Always wondered how much of this stuff is a result of alcohol and other substances. :mrgreen:
Guilty as charged. But I have only bought books and stamps after a few. My brother in law bought a car - on the other side of the Atlantic.

Sailer2002
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by Sailer2002 »

Titles for ebay
Bargain Lot #133 MNH MH Used Worldwide $148 CV 99 cent start!!

Just wondering if anyone agrees with $ 148 CV? for this stock sheet of no more than 100 stamps. some duplication...I just don't see the value. At least no one is bidding more than a few dollars.
Sailer2002
Never Say Never Any Thing is Possible.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

It is EBAY .. .who says it needs to make any sense or be TRUE?!
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Sailer2002 wrote:Image

Titles for ebay

Just wondering if anyone agrees with $ 148 CV? for this stock sheet of no more than 100 stamps. some duplication...I just don't see the value. At least no one is bidding more than a few dollars.

Which catalogue and which currency, New Taiwan Dollars :lol: or Hong Kong Dollars, or more likely Guyanese dollars :lol: :lol: .

The 2 Pictorial Ceylon stamps in are the 2 cheapest values from the 1935 set 2c and 3c, and the African stuff is budget and the 18c Aviators of Oz are nothing special.

A lot of dreamers put catalogue values together by assuming that every minimum catalogue value item is worth that figure (50c, 10p etc). So if you 500 x 3c moths from New Zealand or 500 x 2½d definitives from Australia, they must be worth $250 and not the $2.50 they are probably really worth on a good day and assuming they are fault free specimens, which they never are.
Militantly left wing and proud - but not a communist.

billw2

Post by billw2 »

Here's one that's basically my fault:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TENAFLY-NEW-JERSEY-1909-HORSE-DRAWN- ... 7675.l2557

For starters, I was the under bidder! Its a $1-5 item, but it's from Tenafly, NJ which is my home town. I figured that I'd throw in a stupid high bid and be guaranteed to win it.

So did someone else. I am all but convinced that the other bidder was Scott Trepel, the owner of Siegel Auctions; he is also from Tenafly and is the other guy collecting Tenafly postal history.

Oops. Oh well, it's in good hands and Scott is a great guy. Besides, $35 at the end of the day isn't going to change my life even if I had to pay that for it (in hindsight I should have thrown $100 at it).

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Billw2
Please show pictures of the lot, as we have no idea WHAT you are talking about. Directing us to a link is a pointless as it will dissolve a few days after the item sold and no one will have any idea what you were talking about.

Especially in your case where you lot may be something American you expect us to know, when in fact we are a GLOBAL board based in Australia. Members from the USA are in the minority (I would say 10% or thereabouts) here and not all of us know very much about American philately.

Theres a famous gif in some mods posts showing smiling faces with the banners "This thread is useless without pictures", that would explain your post above.

I mean 98% of us have no idea who Scott Trepel is, what a Tenafly is, is that a place, an insect, a betting term, a failed cop show from the 1960s. Expecting us to know this stuff without pictures is like me expecting you to know the history of Taihape or Echuca. Probably places you have never jeard of, same with us with your post.
Militantly left wing and proud - but not a communist.

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Sailer2002 wrote:Image

With that kind of display, who knows what's in there or the cat. value. But generally, if you see a lot of cheapies, probably everything will be a cheapie. There's the Australia low-face postage fodder; Guinea mint stuff; CAR CTOs; low-face Ceylon; bunch of Turkish stuff; some Mozambique mint; PNG defins...

A grab-bag worth a few dollars for a general novice collector.
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.

traralgon3844

Post by traralgon3844 »

I saw this sale the other night and there were 3 bidders pushing the price up, each with a bid over $20.

Although not mentioned in the heading, the fact that it was a re-print was mentioned in the item description. These should be sold as a space filler for about $2.

Item: 380870500645

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1919-FIRST-AERIAL-POST-VINIGETTE-MINT-UNHINGED-F57-/380870500645

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

new12collector

Post by new12collector »

Princestamps wrote:Billw2
Please show pictures of the lot, as we have no idea WHAT you are talking about. Directing us to a link is a pointless as it will dissolve a few days after the item sold and no one will have any idea what you were talking about.

Especially in your case where you lot may be something American you expect us to know, when in fact we are a GLOBAL board based in Australia. Members from the USA are in the minority (I would say 10% or thereabouts) here and not all of us know very much about American philately.

Theres a famous gif in some mods posts showing smiling faces with the banners "This thread is useless without pictures", that would explain your post above.

I mean 98% of us have no idea who Scott Trepel is, what a Tenafly is, is that a place, an insect, a betting term, a failed cop show from the 1960s. Expecting us to know this stuff without pictures is like me expecting you to know the history of Taihape or Echuca. Probably places you have never jeard of, same with us with your post.
Well you could always click on the link... :o

muruk

Post by muruk »

new12collector wrote:Well you could always click on the link... :o
Which will very soon be a dead link because it is to a live auction site.

Seems basic logic to me.
A man might as well marry ... if he finds a good wife he will be happy ... if not, he will become a philosopher.
Collecting Greater New Guinea & Macropods (Kangaroos & Wallabies).

billw2

Post by billw2 »

Princestamps wrote:Billw2

I pasted the wrong link, my bad.

Here is an image of the correct item.

I did mention that Scott is the owner of Robert A. Siegel Auctions. I'd gather that more than 2% of the board is familiar with that firm even if they mainly sell US and are in NY City. Regardless, Siegel Auctions is probably the best known and most successful philatelic auctioneer in the USA. If it's rare, they've sold it. They were also the last firm to sell the British Guiana magenta stamp back in, IIRC, 1980 (my father was there actually).

Tenafly is a small suburb of NY City (NJ is short for New Jersey) located approximately 8 miles from northern Manhattan Island. Now, when this item was originally posted, 105 years ago, there were likely no more than 1-2,000 residents and as such surviving mail from there is quite scarce.

Anyhow, this is, at best, a $5 cover IMO but even $35 didn't buy it!

Stewie1980
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Stewie1980 »

Yesterday one of those embroidered bear stamps from IGPC, this one with the name Gambia, was sold in an auction by matthijs_philatelie starting at US$0.99

Catalogue value in Scott is US$14.00

It sold for US$56.00!

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/291113501598?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT ... 936wt_1162

Sailer2002

Post by Sailer2002 »

The Bidders must like these types of auctions...go figure. :P
Sailer2002
Never Say Never Any Thing is Possible.

bathurst stamper

Post by bathurst stamper »

Maybe it went to a fan of bears rather than stamps :?:

The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by The Pom »

bathurst stamper wrote:Maybe it went to a fan of bears rather than stamps :?:
You sometimes see similar high prices with stamps featuring Hitler/Swastikas/random Nazi stuff - clearly selling to WWII/Nazi memorabilia collectors rather than stamp collectors who know their true value.
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.

gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

The Pom wrote: You sometimes see similar high prices with stamps featuring Hitler/Swastikas/random Nazi stuff - clearly selling to WWII/Nazi memorabilia collectors rather than stamp collectors who know their true value.
Agreed - I wish I had a Pound for every time I heard "It's got 'itler's 'ead on - it's gotta be worth a fortune!".

figmente

Post by figmente »

I expect that the Gambia competition was between a pair of teddy bear collectors. Either could have had it a lot cheaper with a snipe service instead of politely (i.e. naively or foolishly) taking turns bidding it up.

Hard to know on such items when fair market really does rise well above catalog value. The quantity produced is likely small, and there tends to be considerable lag between the collectors who want it discovering that it's hard to find and the catalog value catching up.

amprantino
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by amprantino »

Although the catalog price, some stamps cant be found easily!

In my case, I am looking for some Greek stamps with price under 10$
I can't found them anywhere! So the owner, will sell a lot more despite the catalog price!

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

figmente wrote:I expect that the Gambia competition was between a pair of teddy bear collectors. Either could have had it a lot cheaper with a snipe service instead of politely (i.e. naively or foolishly) taking turns bidding it up.
I'd also assume it was teddybear collectors bidding it up. Non-philatelists won't know about SG, Scott et al, so they won't look up the catalogue value and buy based on that.

After Pope Jonn Paul II died, I listed a Hagner of Vatican City stamps showing him on eBay, and $10 worth of stamps sold for $100 to someone who bought them as mementos (I started the bidding at something like $5).

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

While the planets are not exactly going to leave their orbits over this, I find that paying AUD 3.58 for a stamp worth about nothing is a pretty silly waste of a cup of coffee:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aust-Animals-1932-Mint-With-Tab-K ... fresh=true

Of course the description does not help, when the stamp was actually issued in 1953 and not 1932
Aust Animals 1932 Mint With Tab Kangaroo Stamp
Norm
Geelong, VFA Premiers 1878, 1879, 1800, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1886, AFL Premiers 1925, 1931, 1937, 1951, 1952, 1963, 2007, 2009, 2011, .

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

This one is simply inexplicable:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=191146265073

It's so obviously a fake - both surcharges - that how it could attract 12 bids from three bidders up to £22, with around 5 hours to go is a dark mystery. This is the genuine stamp:

It is not a rarity, it's catalogued at £2.50. Anyone interested in Bhopal should have one to compare with this fake - and realise what it is in a heartbeat. Even the missing full stop after the 's' error

is only (overpriced) at £18.

There really is one born every minute.
de Selby lives, and will return

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

This lot from eBay

https://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=191146265073

went last month for $US172.50 on 28 bids from 15 bidders.

I've tried, but I can't see even one indisputably legitimate stamp in the lot. Seller worldstamps22 should still be shaking his head in wonder.

stampgirl05
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by stampgirl05 »

tonymacg wrote:This lot from eBay

I've tried, but I can't see even one indisputably legitimate stamp in the lot. Seller worldstamps22 should still be shaking his head in wonder.
Since most of us do not speak Urdu, a little bit of guidance on the surcharges would have been appreciated and since he put them on himself he must have some idea

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

stampgirl05 wrote:since he put them on himself he must have some idea
Why do you think the eBay seller applied the overprints? The whole stamp could be fake, and fakes, reprints, etc for this area are all over the marketplace. Just from the name, it sounds like an eBay seller who just moves out whatever comes in the door.

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

stampgirl05 wrote:
tonymacg wrote:This lot from eBay

Since most of us do not speak Urdu, a little bit of guidance on the surcharges would have been appreciated and since he put them on himself he must have some idea
Stampgirl05, I very much doubt that the seller applied the overprints himself or herself.

The overprints are the monogram of the Bussahir State official in charge of the State Post Office. The problem with this lot is that all the monograms are of the official who took over the PO after it had closed, and were only applied to remainders, never to legitimate postage stamps. The point is well covered in a footnote to the Bussahir listing in Gibbons Part 1.

I think that, if I were going to spend $US172, I'd look up what Gibbons had to say about the stamps first :D

traralgon3844

Post by traralgon3844 »

Many recent Australian stamps (mostly definitives) have had problems with part of the printed design flaking off when the stamps are soaked off paper. It is particularly bad with the new 70 cent flowers.

sasha056 has these two gems listed as 'printing flaws ?' and that they came from office mail. I can tell you that they are nothing more than uncancelled stamps soaked off paper and re-used. Value: Zero.

Every time I soak these for fine used specimens I loose a lot due to the design flaking off. The Waratah is particularly bad and the 'roll' stamps are much worse than the 'booklet' stamps.

Our bidder b***9 (700) has placed two bids on each stamp and obviously thinks he is on to an eBay bargain. If he wants to give money away like that, I will raid my bin and sell him a 100 or so printing flaws for a buck a piece.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Australia-2014-Floral-Emblem-WARA ... 1206070907

ChrisGray

Post by ChrisGray »

Here's a good one I saw the other day - the ultra rare 2013 $10 Kangaroo Imperforate.
Sold by pastorpete2006 to a single bidder for face value. Link.

Wonder what they cut that out of? The Stamp Bulletin? :lol:

tasuth
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by tasuth »

Someone has placed a bid for $30 on a fake one cent magenta!

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Its "Lightly Hinged" even though its used; condition is "XF", despite the fact the corners are clipped off, just like "that other copy"...and the postmark is in the exact same place--why, the infamous 1 cent magenta is nothing but a CTO. :mrgreen:

MarkoSK
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by MarkoSK »

tasuth wrote:Someone has placed a bid for $30 on a fake one cent magenta!

"THIS CAN ONLY BE AN EXPERT FORGERY" :shock: :roll: :shock: :roll:
Sperati was amateur in comparison with this masterwork of Lord of scissors.

tasuth

Post by tasuth »

MarkoSK wrote:
tasuth wrote:Someone has placed a bid for $30 on a fake one cent magenta!

"THIS CAN ONLY BE AN EXPERT FORGERY" :shock: :roll: :shock: :roll:
Sperati was amateur in comparison with this masterwork of Lord of scissors.
It might also be from a catalogue :D
You can still see the white edges around it :lol:

Tassie_Stamps

Post by Tassie_Stamps »

ChrisGray wrote:Here's a good one I saw the other day - the ultra rare 2013 $10 Kangaroo Imperforate.
Sold by pastorpete2006 to a single bidder for face value. Link.

Wonder what they cut that out of? The Stamp Bulletin? :lol:
Chris, this appears to be the rare ink smudge variety/flaw/error :) LOL

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

Ebay seller theodoreides seems to have some enthusiastic bidders on his lots.

Lot 1: CV £1.10, sold for US $8.50.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Luxembourg-1931-Sc-C2-MH-Airplane-over-Luxembourg-/321441063356

Lot 2: CV £3.50, sold for US $10.50.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Luxembourg-1926-Sc-B15-19-MH-Prince-Jean-/221473747822

Lot 3: CV £1.80 as MUH (these are hinged), sold for US $7.45.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Luxembourg-1945-Sc-B117-120-MH-Hon ... 1473749227

All normally sell for a pretty small % of catalogue.

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

And heartiest congratulations to eBay buyer z***1 for throwing away $US41 on this blatant fake:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jammu-amp-Kashmir-1880-British-India ... 0982062800

from seller nomiselo in India. (This seller is usually quite reliable. I have to assume he was right out of his depth here.)

The postmarks are forgeries although the Jammu & Kashmir stamp appears to be genuine - though who'd bother to forge a 20p item to add to a faked cover?

The stamp is anomalous though. It's an Official 1 Anna, when the rate for a letter was ½ Anna. The Jammu & Kashmir government emphatically didn't throw its ½ annas around.

Take that together with the forged postmark, and the fact that the cover was outed here on Stampboards, and it took a brave soul to buy the cover :D

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

I need some help here, as this sold for AUD 46. As near as I can tell, it is the normal 45 cent Queens Birthday stamp from 2000, and I have scanned a copy of mine (purchased for 50 cents) below thew eBay scan.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2000-QUEEN-039-S-BIRTHDAY-QUEEN-E ... 7675.l2557

The description tells me nothing to suggest it is nothing more than postage fodder

For sale from my collection is a 2000 QUEEN'S BIRTHDAY AUSTRALIAN DECIMAL ISSUE IN MINT UNHINGED PERFECT CONDITION!!! A SINGLE ISSUE ONLY RELEASED IN SHEETLETS OF 10!!!! GOOD CHANCE TO GET YOUR SINGLE COPY FOR YOUR COLLECTION!!

PLEASE SEE THE PICTURE AS THIS IS THE STAMP YOU WILL RECEIVE!!!

POSTAGE & PACKAGING IS $1.50 IN AUSTRALIA, $0.50 PER ADDITIONAL ITEM PURCHASE
Bid History:

Member Id: o***z AU $42.00 08-Jul-14 06:18:38 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $41.00 10-Jul-14 20:25:19 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $39.00 10-Jul-14 20:25:13 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $37.00 10-Jul-14 20:25:08 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $35.00 10-Jul-14 20:25:04 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $33.00 10-Jul-14 20:24:57 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $31.00 10-Jul-14 20:24:53 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $29.00 10-Jul-14 20:24:41 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $27.00 10-Jul-14 20:24:36 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $25.00 10-Jul-14 20:24:30 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $24.00 10-Jul-14 20:24:25 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $23.00 10-Jul-14 20:24:20 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $22.00 10-Jul-14 20:24:15 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $21.00 10-Jul-14 20:24:09 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $20.00 10-Jul-14 20:23:57 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $15.00 10-Jul-14 20:23:48 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $14.00 10-Jul-14 20:23:42 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $13.00 10-Jul-14 20:23:07 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $12.00 10-Jul-14 20:23:00 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $11.00 10-Jul-14 20:22:46 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $10.00 10-Jul-14 20:22:41 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $9.00 10-Jul-14 20:22:35 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $8.00 10-Jul-14 20:22:30 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $7.00 10-Jul-14 20:22:15 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $6.00 10-Jul-14 20:22:10 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $5.00 10-Jul-14 20:22:06 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $4.50 10-Jul-14 20:22:02 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $4.00 10-Jul-14 20:21:57 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $3.50 10-Jul-14 20:21:52 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $3.00 10-Jul-14 20:21:48 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $2.50 10-Jul-14 20:21:43 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $2.00 09-Jul-14 22:10:37 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $1.50 09-Jul-14 22:10:28 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $1.00 09-Jul-14 22:10:21 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $0.90 09-Jul-14 22:10:15 AEST
Member Id: y***e AU $0.80 09-Jul-14 22:10:07 AEST
Member Id: x***l AU $0.60 07-Jul-14 13:49:21 AEST
Member Id: x***l AU $0.55 07-Jul-14 13:49:00 AEST
Member Id: o***z AU $0.50 05-Jul-14 12:14:17 AEST
Starting Price AU $0.50

Norm

tasuth

Post by tasuth »

It might just be the scan but there is a big difference in the background colour.

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

y***e had a lot of time on their hands to sit there bidding it up $1 or $2 at a time. :o

vikingeck
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by vikingeck »

Shortly after this was listed at a start price of 0.99p ,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171545180891?_trksid=p2055119.m143 ... EBIDX%3AIT

I advised the seller it was a forgery . He updated his description with a footnote in red

"Please Read . I have just been advised that this is an old forgery, so bid accordingly "

So OK my email has been acted on but........................................

With 10 hours to go an incredible 10 bidders have pushed it up to £72.

PT Barnum reckoned there was a " sucker born every minute" here we have 10 of them ? Where will it end?
whatever it is -------it's better than a poke in eye with a wet umbrella !

vikingeck
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by vikingeck »

OMG!!!!!!!!!

The Danish forgery of the 2RBS made £103 in the end, The seller confesses he is astonished also, especially as on my advice he had indicated that it was a forgery! 10 bidders and the winner had a rating of 41 feedbacks having bid mostly on Hungary until this one .

I guess he did not read the English very well, and has now got one huge disappointment coming one day !

( in the old days we could contact a buyer and advise him of the danger but ebay has closed that door.)
whatever it is -------it's better than a poke in eye with a wet umbrella !

traralgon3844

Post by traralgon3844 »

I see it but I don't believe it.

kwalabare (685 ) recently sold this item on eBay listed as:

£1 Pound Robes Specimen MNH

Item: 231412975581 https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-Pound-Robes-Specimen-MNH-/231412975581

It has to be one of the worst forged specimen overprints I have seen. Yet some brain dead maroon paid $170.50 for the worthless item. There really is one born every minute.

What is worse is the vendors description. I'll be kind and say he had no idea it was a forgery. :roll:

Fleurieu55

Post by Fleurieu55 »

And talking of kwalabare's, here's another one that will raise a few eyebrow's!

Specimen overprints on Arms Series

eBay link-

Arms Specimen Set.
Beaut set - fairly lightly hinged.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/231428079008?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

2 bidders with 6 bids have pushed this up to $66:00 already

traralgon3844

Post by traralgon3844 »

Hopefully this BCOF overprint on the 5 shilling Robes was purchased as a forgery reference, because it shouldn't have fooled anyone.

The seller who is normally pretty good didn't mention forgery anywhere in the listing and sold it as genuine.

He has another one for sale that is a little harder, but not that much harder to pick, but still no good.

The other BCOF. The giveaway is the '1946', the numbers are too close together.

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

Anyone care to explain why the bidding on this is at £40 with 6 hours to go.

CV is about £12, and these are all readily available for a fraction of that.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261712830651

JonEboy
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by JonEboy »

The Pom wrote:Anyone care to explain why the bidding on this is at £40 with 6 hours to go.

Oooh! Shiny!

Looks like an early massive bid from a bunny as most of the 26 bids are automatic.....

Jon
Barbados, Commonwealth, France & Colonies, GB, Line Engraved, Intaglio & Recess printed stamps
http://www.barbadosstamps.co.uk

Philexx

Post by Philexx »

JonEboy wrote:
The Pom wrote:Anyone care to explain why the bidding on this is at £40 with 6 hours to go.

Oooh! Shiny!

Looks like an early massive bid from a bunny as most of the 26 bids are automatic.....

Jon
Sorry 40 pounds at this time (it was 51 Euros). Notice the bidder has 28% bid activity with the same seller...
Join the Stampboards Monthly Cover Exchanges

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”