eBay and Other On-Line Dreamers - A Photo Lot Compendium

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Allanswood
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: eBay and Other On-Line Dreamers - A Photo Lot Compendium

Post by Allanswood »

RobRoyH wrote:I am reading plate 188 but that is as much imagination as anything else given the image quality.
It's plate 190, clear as a bell in the actual listing. The 190 in pencil on the back is correct.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

fromdownunder
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by fromdownunder »

YEA!! Now 5,000 posts and about 90 views per day over a nearly 13 year period. It was a great thread to post on, and read, and there have been some really huge contributions from many members. Thanks everybody for taking a humble one-off OP comment and turning it into this long running event.

It was a lot of fun.

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain

The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by The Pom »

And hats off to Norm for being the major contributor to "A hundred pages of halfwits". :)
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.

emason

Post by emason »

The Pom wrote:And hats off to Norm for being the major contributor to "A hundred pages of halfwits". :)
Seconded!

It's Norm's comments that make the thread. .:D
Best wishes,
Bill

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

fromdownunder wrote:
It was a lot of fun.

Norm

Norm, something you're not telling us? :cry:
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Allanswood wrote: Norm, something you're not telling us? :cry:
Greg, possibly. In truth, I mainly wanted this thread to reach 5,000 posts, as silly as that sounds. I could, in reality, post one or two every day because brain dead drips like the one below do put up such things all the time. (In fact I found this on Page one of the listings in about 30 seconds)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Benjamin-Franklin-One-Cent-Stamp ... Sw889eOJpP
Benjamin Franklin One Cent Stamp - 1936 Rotary green - VERY RARE/quote]

A Franklin Scott #594 or #596, on piece from seller richardsonhospiceresalestore who sells bric-a-brac and ephemera, and wants US $800.00 for a five cent stamp, and probably saw an article or saw some other idiot on eBay trying to sell a similar five cent stamp for a silly amount.

If something has a crazy price and a wonderfully wrong flowery description full of garbage, yes I will continue. But garden variety stupidity is far too common on eBay (in truth, it always was). It's started to bore me after all these years. So rather than posting three leaf clovers, I will wait for four leaf clovers - a kind of juxtaposition of inability to research properly and ignorant content from one of the mindless herd, if you like, rather than showing the common three leaf variety.

Norm

drkohler
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by drkohler »

fromdownunder wrote:
Benjamin Franklin One Cent Stamp - 1936 Rotary green - VERY RARE

A Franklin Scott #594 or #596, on piece from seller richardsonhospiceresalestore who sells bric-a-brac and ephemera, and wants US $800.00 for a five cent stamp, and probably saw an article or saw some other idiot on eBay trying to sell a similar five cent stamp for a silly amount.
Norm
This started last summer on European ebays. It was a lonely grandfather who's heir wanted a measly 50'000 for his 594 or 596.
You wouldn't believe how many German grandfathers collected those rare stamps! Within a few weeks only, dozens of 594 and 596 showed up from hopeful grandsons and granddaughters, ranging from 4 to 6 digit prices (your find is rather generous at 800 only).
By December, pretty much every US stamp with a face on it was deemed ultra rare and commanded four to five digit prices...
Needless to say, not a single one of those Franklin stamps (or any other head-shown-on-stamp "guy stamp") was anything else but run-of-the-mill stamps printed by the gazillions.
I have sent about 60 replies telling people what they really have, but it stopped the flood of "ultra rare stamps" for a few days only. Unfortunately, as I was expecting, I have run into the "...bbbbbut the other guy also wants 20'000 for the same stamp, so mine must be rare, too" answer. Once the cat is let out of the bag, there is no turning back.

I absolutely admire the English guy who keeps posting his absolute trash "guy stamps" (not a single offer he has is free of massive faults) at ridiculous prices....

JonEboy
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by JonEboy »

I love this thread, especially Norm's comments, so my congratulations on the traction it has gained over the years.

With regards to the Franklin above, someone must be reading this as it's now priced at $40 :D

And if anyone wants to buy it then it could be argued that you are not doing it to enhance your stamp collection, but donating to charity, as the account appears to be linked to a Hospice in Wisconsin.

Jon
Barbados, Commonwealth, France & Colonies, GB, Line Engraved, Intaglio & Recess printed stamps
http://www.barbadosstamps.co.uk

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

JonEboy wrote:With regards to the Franklin above, someone must be reading this as it's now priced at $40 :D

Jon
It's still $39.95 too high.

And as drkohler said this sort of thing only encourages others to think, hey I've got one, and start listing more utter garbage packet material at silly prices. Great for this thread, great for a fly on the wall in the sellers room when he eventually, after 10 listings and miniscule reductions (see below*) realises that his dreams of an overseas holiday in the Bahamas is ... Just. Not. Going. To. Happen.

Not so great for us.

And any long term follower of the thread will be aware of the almost plague like levels of common German inflation stamps that were being listed at insane prices 10 or so years ago. They, of course still turn up occasionally these days because idiots beget idiots.

Norm

*This:
fromdownunder wrote:Image

"Doofus Seller": par_1j0qvq3
Originally listed at $1,000
Relisted at $950
Relisted at $900
Now at $850

The way I figure it, at a $50 reduction each time, another 17 listings are all that are required to get this to it's true value.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/queen-elizabeth-ii-Stamp-1p/1640 ... SwcB1eH-Tk

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

This, from ebay dreamer krlparr, is apparently MNH and worth £10.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTRALIA-SG314-1959-5d-DEEP-BLUE-MNH/233254643059

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Tempting, but this killed it for me:
£11.42 Express delivery to Australia
(If anybody would like a few hundred of the 5d Blue Queen above, send me an e_mail and they are yours, post free)

Norm

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

I suppose doing some research (read: looking at stupid eBay selling prices) and discovering that you have some of the rarest stamps known to man*, several worth upward of $US50,000 each makes you feel great, as modestly described by bdubsnotj70, carefully arranged and photographed, and superbly grammatically described as:
100+ Rare Postage Stamps

High Valued Rare Postage Stamps. I became the owner of these stamps that I for 1 know nothing about stamps. And i dont have the time to do a ton of research on and find the right person to buy them. I do know by rsearching the little that i have been able to that i have some of tbe rarest most valuable stamps known to exist. Some of which can be valued of upwards of $50,000+. Now its clear that this collection of stamps is from a person who knew stamps very well and took great care of them. They have been in sleeves from as long as i have had them and a long time before that. They are all in excelent condition for there 100+ years of age that some have. All look to have been used and have the postal stamps of locations used at. Some of these stamps include the Rare 1 cent Franklin, Both of the Ireland 2D expiremental Erie stamps, Jefferson 9 cent stamp, Jefferson 1 cent stamp, Roosevelt 5 cent stamp, Fastman 3 cent stamp, 2cent Farming in the west stamp, French Aliance 13 cent stamp, Mary Bethune Black Heritage 22 cent stamp, US Air Mail 10 cent stamp, and etc. All stamps in the photos will be the stamps you will recieve. Any questions and for more info or pics feel free to message me. This is a great chance for a great deal on some very valuable stamps. Shipped with USPS First Class Package.

Regrettably, for bdubsnotj70, he has less research skills than a drowned Ewok and merely looked at prices from other demented dreamers - part of a perpetual cycle which has helped keep this thread going as long as the Boards have, or stamps that "aren't the stamps he thinks they are" (the 2d Ireland not Coils). Dreamers begat another Dreamer

I first saw his "bargain" priced at $US800, BIN $US2,500. It is now $US500, no BIN. His dreams of a holiday overseas are turning into a bus ticket to the next bus stop.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100-Rare-Postage-Stamps/15382998 ... Sw~WpeNl4B

Norm

*this term is gender inclusive.

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

I do know by rsearching the little that i have been able to that i have some of tbe rarest most valuable stamps known to exist

Where is my wallet? :lol:

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

I was rather drawn to this one given that these stamps are about as rare as gravestones in a cemetery (and damaged or off centred as well):

At GBP 299.00, well the price is shall we say ambitious? But what really intrigued me is seller zaknoor2012's description.
6 Benjamin franklin stamps!! Rare example.

From a collection of an ex professional philatelist.

More pictures can be provided upon request
What in hell is an "ex professional philatelist"

Norm

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

1 of 2 possibilities.

1. Our ex philatelist - VALE or a CLOSED ALBUM :(

2. He was a professional, but then realised if he was collecting crud like that, he was definitely just an amateur :lol:

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Covers are big, or so I am told so here is one for the discerning collector from for kaylbrow-14 (4 ) for only $US999.99.

Vintage Stamp and Envelope, very rare stamp from what I’ve been told.
I imagine it is extremely rare in that condition. Might I suggest it is unique?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Stamp-and-Envelope/17421 ... Sw8o1ePLSF

Norm

satsuma
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by satsuma »

Now come on Norm. That top left corner will fold back, flatten out and make the cover look much better. :lol: :lol:

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Might I suggest that m-william is a bit too ambitious? Personally, $5 for all three lots is overly ambitious.

BIN EUR $25,000

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Poste-Repubblica-Italiana-Collez ... SwuyteVlwj

------------------------------------------------------------------
BIN EUR $20,000

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Poste-Italiane-Francobolli-Colle ... Sw6TxeVlz1

------------------------------------------------------------------
BIN EUR $15,000

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Poste-Italiane-Collezione-Franco ... SwnhFeVlsm

Norm

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

When I see stamps in bulk lots such as the ones below (and I do) my thoughts are always that some clown has tried to pull two mint stamps apart and destroyed them both because: "brain dead twit".

Of course, dreamers like elr9056_zq43uihvw * take a different view, and suddenly dumpster material becomes "rare" and is worth EUR750.00

RARA VARIETA' UNICA, stampa recto verso anche su francobollo diverso
Google translate: RARE UNIQUE VARIETY, recto reverse also on different stamp

Sometimes I feel the need to walk outside and scream at the grass.

*(how could anybody possibly think this is an intelligent users name. How do you pronounce it?) Dumb and Dumber, meat dumbest.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1943-GERMANIA-Deutsches-Reich-RA ... SwMN5eSwgb

Norm

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

This comes under the "sure it is sunshine!" header.
Ireland stamps 1935 2d Coil

The Rare 2d Coil was an experimental vertical coil stamp, denominated 2d, issued by the Irish Post Office in 1935 and is one of the scarcest, and most valuable, Irish stamps
samgregor wants AU $5,000.00 for A stamp badly violated by a pair of scissors or by a blunt box cutter wielded by an incompetent badger.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ireland-stamps-1935-2d-Coil/2545 ... SwpcBeW56b

Norm

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

rivieracr deserves an "A" for effort is spending time carefully laying out this Great Britain selection, carefully photographing it several times, then describing it only the way a dreamer can.
SPECIAL STAMP COLLECTION UK - Postage Revenue Stamp Collection + Her Majesty

Hello and welcome to my auction for a very impressive collection of stamps.

Many of these stamps are in high demand and perhaps impossible to find in any better condition than these being offered.

Some have been in circulation, others are brand new so please refer to photos and ask for more if needs be!

I am happy to answer any questions. I will listen to offers and also if you are after one in particular, i may consider selling off.

Thank you and please message any queries.

Sadly, the seller spent exactly zero time establishing if it was actually worth anything close to the GBP 349.00 asking price, which by my quick calculations is GBP 348.00 higher than the actual market value of this material and offered the description that he simply made up that it is so bad it's not even wrong.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SPECIAL-STAMP-COLLECTION-UK-Post ... Sw~nJeXBzu

Norm

Erinmania

Post by Erinmania »

With regard to an earlier post, the attempt to turn a common 2d Irish stamp into a valuable one is quite laughable. Not only have the vertical perforations been hacked off in an attempt to make them imperforate,
the stamp is postmarked with a part "Make The Road Safe" slogan cancellation which was first used in 1962.
The stamp will therefore have an "e" watermark which did not come into use until 1940. The Rare Coil only exists with a monogrammed Se watermark.

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Exactly, but the dreamers have an average IQ of 77 and the bunnies that buy them have an IQ of 71.

Most will be people with names like Buddy Richson of sieberville Tennasee and live a plastic wood covered trailer in the Almoretta trailer park with Aunty Mama and Piney Jo and the Toppers. He will think its ruurr!! and be good to sell when the Demmy kratts get back in to power and our man Trump, the savior of the Murican heartland has to stand down!

Somerset
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Somerset »

Erinmania wrote:With regard to an earlier post, the attempt to turn a common 2d Irish stamp into a valuable one is quite laughable. Not only have the vertical perforations been hacked off in an attempt to make them imperforate,
the stamp is postmarked with a part "Make The Road Safe" slogan cancellation which was first used in 1962.
The stamp will therefore have an "e" watermark which did not come into use until 1940. The Rare Coil only exists with a monogrammed Se watermark.
He coudn't even cut the side perfs off neatly - perhaps he chewed them off

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

OK, probably not really a dreamer thing, but what in hell could you even do with this? And why would you want it?

From statusinternationalstore

AUSTRALIA : 1942 Queen 1d purple-brown COIL ROLL MNH **. ACSC 225bd cat $11,000+
I accept that broken up into pairs and multiples, yes it does have the claimed Catalogue value. But at BIN AU $1,299.99 what purpose does it have? It can't properly be displayed, it cant be displayed at all. It can't be broken up (what is the demand level for coil pairs - I would suggest next to none) to realise anything close to Catalogue value.. It is at best a vanity purchase to be locked up in a cupboard and perhaps resold at some sort of price 30 years from now to somebody else who wants a vanity purchase.

And the starter is missing...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AUSTRALIA-1942-Queen-1d-purple-b ... Sw4tJegXo8

Norm

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

What a sad little bunch of stamps, and an even sadder seller who seriously could only have found these at the local tip.

"In good used condition perfect for a collection". Thus sayeth bragen_6417 whose idea of "good" and reality are further away than Alpha Centauri is.

Buy It Now - $US1,000 each

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Green-1911-Us-Postage-1-Cent-Franklin/362959817586

Buy It Now - $US6,000 each

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1918-George-Washington-Us-Postag ... 2959822425

I wonder if it is even possible to have worse looking stamps than these poor, innocent, wrecked and totally worthless Franklins.

Norm

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

fromdownunder wrote:
I wonder if it is even possible to have worse looking stamps than these poor, innocent, wrecked and totally worthless Franklins.

Norm
This beauty has been on ebay for a while & remains strangely unsold, even at a bargain £1.50.

Seller: cora_nails

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Australia-1927-Three-Halfpence-Ca ... 4025112494

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

But where are the clowns
Send in the clowns
Don't bother, they're here

thatwuzthen0 .. You really can't make this up.

US $440.00

Vintage Canada 12c Stamp GORGEOUS !!!

Didn't notice that slight tear, crease and nibbled perfs, did you?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Canada-12c-Stamp-GORGEOU ... SwW2ZejPM2
------------------------------------------------------------------------

C $150.00

China vintage Stamp Collection. used mint condition ,unhinged

1. Kim Jong-un would like a word with you.
2. used mint condition???

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/China-vintage-Stamp-Collection-u ... OSwlq9eRCc~
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

US $450.00

REP. SAN MARINO 1 Lire stamp Mint -Unused with great Star Watermarks

Yes, all the millions of these still hanging around unwanted by pretty much everybody have the same star Watermark.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REP-SAN-MARINO-1-Lire-stamp-Mint ... SwePlei-nr
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

US $550.00

BECHUANALAND PROTECTORATE 1d 1937 Postage rare stamp

Gosh, your research on this stamp must have taken you all the way to reading the name of the issuing British Protectorate.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BECHUANALAND-PROTECTORATE-1d-193 ... SwNmhei3Yk
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thatwuzthen0 has taken the lead as dreamer of the year in my book. I really hope he has more to come, as tha dumb seem to have been in short supply on eBay lately, and this guy is making up for the shortage all by himself.

Plenty more of his jaw dropping lack of any knowledge at all can be seen here.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/Stamps/260/m.html?item=324127842 ... atwuzthen0

Norm

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

vintage_retrospective_collectable must live in an alternative universe to the rest of us.

He describes them as:
Very Rare Japanese/China issued.Postage Stamp 1940's .Japanese occupation of China WW2 & Taiwan, Japanese Issue War Propaganda full set,extreme bright colours limited issue,deep red "engineer solider" worth $1200AU alone, complete with "pilot of fighter"bright green,"Artillery Man" with shell in an orange red/brown VERY BRIGHT COLORS! Completing the set with "Sailor in Whites" in a dark brown colour,again a mint pictured bright coloured set! 1¥ 2¥.5¥ 50¥ barely hinged,well kept gem of a find!
1. They are common Chinese stamps issued by the Peoples Republic of China in 1955. I have this funny feeling that the war ended in 1945, and that Japan had little to do with PRC in 1955.
2. It is not a full set. The full set (simplified) is nine stamps. He has four of them. Can he count?
3. His "deep red engineer/soldier" is a lathe operator and is worth 10 cents not $1,200.
4. His "Artillery Man with shell" is a Miner with mining equipment.
5. Brownie points for Getting the soldier and sailor correctly.
6. Mint??? Silly sod.
7. The stamps currency is sen, not yen. He could not even get that right.

He wants $AU650, or BIN $AU900 plus $16.00 postage for 50 cents worth of stamps.

For somebody who claims that he knows something about collectables, he sure is ignorant about stamps and it does not bode well for his ability to know anything about other collectables, especially since he just made this stuff up.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Very-Rare-Japanese-WW2-occupatio ... Sw3axejuEd

Norm

DarrenK

Post by DarrenK »

Not so much a ridiculous asking price, just a ridiculous description.
Rare INVERTED AUSTRALIAN FRAMED POSTMARK, Christmas 1961
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rare-INVERTED-AUSTRALIAN-FRAMED- ... 984799723?

Clearly the stamp was stuck on upside down and the seller has added 3 pictures to celebrate this miracle. You can see part of the typed address.

Only asking $3.90 plus $2.00 postage.
Always interested in trading German material especially post war period.

Chkpoint Charlie

Post by Chkpoint Charlie »

The other day I was pondering why anyone would list something on Ebay or Craigslist with a crazy high price. Which ended up with me reading a Wikipedia page on "Endowment effect"

Give it a look, but still all these people wasting their time creating these listings, shouldn't they be using these time to better themselves or the world?

Quoted by B. Franklin in Boston, circa 1750,"At half the price your asking it would still be twice what it is worth!"

After going through some of this thread, much to smile about, I now have a headache. I have a couple of Ebay sellers that I trust and would recommend to any collector. So don't let this nonsense keep you from having fun with bidding on Ebay.

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Chkpoint Charlie wrote:So don't let this nonsense keep you from having fun with bidding on Ebay.
Bear in mind that at the moment, there are over 10,000,000 eBay listings under the "Stamps for Sale" world wide, and over 160,000 "stamps over $AUD500" (my hunting ground). The one or two idiots a week from that total that I and others find to list here for a bit of fun are not meant to be an indicator of the general eBay experience.

It has never been my intention to knock eBay or any other on line selling portal, just the odd person or two who have not got a clue what they are doing, and especially those who simply make up stuff in their descriptions, which at times can be hilarious.

As my OP said 13 years ago "Why is it that otherwise normal people come across a stamp or a stamp collection and suddenly believe that they have discovered the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?"

Of course, there is always an absolute gem like o2ke to find which just adds to the thrill of the hunt:
A little background. One upon a time, I promised to do a Dreamers Top 10, but eventually decided it was too much work. I intend to very, very occasionally post some what I think of as "best of" posts, as an apology of sorts for not keeping my promise, and for people who have not followed this thread for the full 11 years it has been active. This is the first such entry. I Hope it won't be the last.

Dreamers Award: For Going Where No Man Has Gone Before.

The first in a very occasional series.

And the winner is ...o2ke. Many have tried, but few have succeeded in mangling English quite the way he could.

Posted on Tue Jul 03, 2012
An Original PRAGA pinky thumb.

Pinkys, or thumbs, become popular from world stamp events. At exhibitions, fans would lable stamps and begin distingushing real stamps from fake in the world.

The exact pinky read 1978 PRAGA. This stamp has been in a collection for around 28 years.

Price: USD 125 or BIN USD 140

----------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Wed Feb 01, 2012

in response to an eMail from Stampboards member vikingeck he replied:
5 Pound, large QEII Stamp Tall `mount shape, damaged perminate sticky peice seal upon it.

Vikingeck suggested the kindest thing would be to remove it from sight, forever. Here was his response.

Dear vikingeck,

I'll answer that,
for some reason, as argument gathered with excitment, this particular stamp WAS perfect too, at the time.
As the stamp was taken out of my hand, a peice of sticky was placed directly over it.
And with a happy resolve, I was told that would stop them
Many of my stamps were select worldtour class, shortly after the event, I was swamped with a junk pile of 'CornFlake' style stamps. The man crys out in defeat,
"See what you people have done, we(country not disclosed) have nothing!" He arrived quick and left immediately.
It was pure greed and proud lout rightousness, even more so, when you learn what happen to other stamps directly handed to me, over 25 years ago.

Hope you understand,
o2ke
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
and the absolute unbeatable one, posted on Thu Jul 19, 2012
Polska. Plenty of charisma. This is a trendy stamp.

Excellent edges. A home hobby treasure. Average size. Presentation is excellent. Bright orange on white. Simply excellent. Clear definate black inclusions.

The black inclusion with stamps are made by authority. The changes are set as a template would advise. If a stamp made public by only expetaions of an outcome, and whrn the time arrived no comparison was meant, then markings like this are an example.

The saying goes, no one ever sees a person place the corrective black - Just as no one has never met the Post Master. But - with his back turned - the work is finished. It was given to me personally.

Lucky me!

Stamps like this are well sort for. Expensive collector items. $30,000 even $100,000's. As real as they are, many are dense blotted ink variety, sorry to be dull. Rare and just though. With ane old fashion home hobby carisma compared to this trendy fellow.
USD 1,245 or USD 1,980 BIN.

................................................................................

The links are of course all long gone, and have been excluded. I hope you enjoy reading these blasts from the past.

Norm
Norm

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

tomgr_49 seems to have fallen out of the top of the optimistic tree and bashed his head off every branch on the way down.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austria-1908-COLLECTION/303543088661

For the record, none of these stamps are worth anything.

He has a few other bits for sale, with equally deluded prices.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/tomgr_49/m.html?item=303543088661 ... 7675.l2562

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

But Chris... They are from Austria and ooollllddd, they must be rare, for example:

GBP 984.00

One of my favourites film-shelf-dvd has made a comeback which does not disappoint, nor does his description which in full says "Austria Stamp".

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Austria-Stamp/164165624200?hash= ... Swavpemyfr

The same ("old + Europe =rare) seems to apply to Denmark by film-shelf-dvd , even when it is only half a stamp. film-shelf-dvd once again shows his capacity for description with a loquacious "Denmark Stamp", and decided that the missing and torn bits add value:

GBP 3,200.00

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Denmark-Stamp/164166838304?hash= ... SwlANenIsI

I invite everybody to look at all his items, and add to his hit rate so he thinks that he is doing something right. :mrgreen:

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/Stamps/260/m.html?item=164166838 ... dvd&_sop=3

Norm

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Hey Norm, have you checked GumTree lately?

If not, grab a (large) mug of steaming hot coffee but do be warned... :lol:

Edit: Problem uploading photo and I'm ready for bed. Will try again in tomorrow... But, if you can imagine a blurry (like, real fuzzy-wuzzy) iPhone photograph of that Australia 5/- Red Coat of Arms for the grand total of $500.

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Catweazle wrote:Hey Norm, have you checked GumTree lately?

If not, grab a (large) mug of steaming hot coffee but do be warned... :lol:

Edit: Problem uploading photo and I'm ready for bed. Will try again in tomorrow... But, if you can imagine a blurry (like, real fuzzy-wuzzy) iPhone photograph of that Australia 5/- Red Coat of Arms for the grand total of $500.
I do look at Gumtree occasionally but it is pretty slim pickings. Too many dead leaves in the forest.

Regarding Imgur, see:

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=90352

Norm

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

Ebayer pdarke-uk is certainly in the dark when it comes to the value of 4 pages of used mid 1990's Australia.
4 Album Pages of Australian Stamps, All look in Good, Used Condition
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Album-Pages-of-Australian-Stamp ... 4340643797

rsellens
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by rsellens »

The Pom wrote:Ebayer pdarke-uk is certainly in the dark when it comes to the value of 4 pages of used mid 1990's Australia.
4 Album Pages of Australian Stamps, All look in Good, Used Condition
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Album-Pages-of-Australian-Stamp ... 4340643797

Surprisingly he has had no bidders. It has been relisted at a massive dicount. It is only £154 now.

Chkpoint Charlie

Post by Chkpoint Charlie »

What about this little beauty?

1. The British Guiana 1c Magenta - €9 Million
The rarest and most valuable stamp in the world is the British Guiana 1c Magenta, which holds an estimated value of 9 million euros. A delivery of stamps from London to British Guiana in 1856 had been delayed and so the 1c Magenta was created in limited numbers to ensure continued trade and communication on the island.

Cut off corners, faded ink, talk about your uninformed stamp collector.
Some people think something like this is a collectable!
Everyone knows it is about "eye appeal", if it looks good it must be good to own.
I dislike this stamp because of how it looks now, it has not held up well over the years. It was found after one owners demise in an unopened envelope behind a filing cabinet, it was being returned to the owner after he loaned it out for display. He cared about it so much he never bothered to put it back into his collection.

I hope the bunny who has it now is not a stamp collector, if he is he is giving us all a bad name.

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

I suggest that the 1 cent Magenta, like Sweden's Tre Skilling Banco, is a vanity trophy for those with lotsamoney, rather than a collectable, and is owned as an investment and/or status symbol more than because of its intrinsic beauty, of which it has none.

It has always proven to being a satisfactory investment to past owners (well, probably except the last one who died in prison, but his estate benefited) and whether it holds up as a wise investment "the next time" will be established when it happens.

Norm

towradji

Post by towradji »

Do my ageing eyes deceive me? A prominent philatelic person who is not unknown to post here has an eBay listing for an “error” at $1995.00

No names to protect the innocent.

But a clue, an Australiasian area decimal period stamp.

It’s value on a good day if put through a local auction, maybe $25.
From a series known for its printing misplacements.

Never mind, good to see a battler trying to do well, is as polite as I could be.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

fromdownunder wrote:But Chris... They are from Austria and ooollllddd, they must be rare, for example:

GBP 984.00

One of my favourites film-shelf-dvd has made a comeback which does not disappoint, nor does his description which in full says "Austria Stamp".

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Austria-Stamp/164165624200

The same ("old + Europe =rare) seems to apply to Denmark by film-shelf-dvd , even when it is only half a stamp. film-shelf-dvd once again shows his capacity for description with a loquacious "Denmark Stamp", and decided that the missing and torn bits add value:

GBP 3,200.00

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Denmark-Stamp/164166838304

I invite everybody to look at all his items, and add to his hit rate so he thinks that he is doing something right. :mrgreen:

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/Stamps/260/m.html?item=164166838 ... dvd&_sop=3

Norm
Norm .. but he might accept offers?
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

ebay
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by ebay »

[quote][/quote]Image

I'm not sure whether seller star1956 knows these are fakes or he actually believes they're real !!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CYPRUS-1880s-5-20-Pounds-Queen-Vi ... 3535905712

As a stamp dealer with near 18,000 feedback he should know the difference.
My mission: To get one decent example of every single Queen Victoria stamp. ( minus a few impossible to get. )

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Whatever Catalogue antcirc-42 (0 ) is using, I WANT ONE.
Us Postal Olympic ‘84 Stamps

Us Postal Olympic ‘84 Stamps. In mint condition. 25,28,35, and 40 cent stamps! A collector’s dream. Each stamp is valued at $6.95 in mint condition each. Over 100 mint condition stamps here. Shipped with USPS First Class Package.

Yours for only US $425.00. Without actually checking the face value,I am guessing that it is around $30.00, so wholesale, the stamps might be worth $25.00.

A dreaming liar.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Us-Postal-Olympic-84-Stamps/333595863979

Norm

rsellens

Post by rsellens »

fromdownunder wrote:Whatever Catalogue antcirc-42 (0 ) is using, I WANT ONE.

Us Postal Olympic ‘84 Stamps

Us Postal Olympic ‘84 Stamps. In mint condition. 25,28,35, and 40 cent stamps! A collector’s dream. Each stamp is valued at $6.95 in mint condition each. Over 100 mint condition stamps here. Shipped with USPS First Class Package.
Actually the SG 2018 simplified catalogue values add up to about £225 for this lot.

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

This joyous little lot can be yours fore a measly USD$499.99 plus $26.93 postage and $62.12 import charges from blazinblues

The description box is pure Alice in Wonderland:
Item specifics

Grade: G (Good)
Type: Postage
Era: George V (1910-1936)
Topic: American Civil War
Place of Origin: Falkland Islands
Certification: PF
Quality: Used
Cancellation Type: Cancelled to Order/CTO

Canceled half penny and one penny stamps. Shipped with USPS First Class Package. Also you can see the corner cut on the bottom right hand corner.
Almost a Trump full of errors.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Canceled-half-penny-and-one-penn ... SwYARexB6S

He has a bit of other insanely priced stuff as well, so worth keeping an eye on for future giggles.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/blazinblues/m.html?item=18430658 ... 7675.l2562

Norm

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

There's a bargain to be had over on our Australian selling website called Gumtree... It's the Inverted Jenny.

I kid you not, somebody has the inverted jenny listed, and they are keen to sell it! :lol:

Price is "negotiable".

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Nystamps to LA 1918 U.S. Curtis Jenny Airmail stamp from my personal collection. Shipped with USPS First Class Package.

UP FOR SALE IS A MINT SCOTT #C1, THE 1918 6 CENT AIRMAIL ISSUE. THE STAMP IS MINT-OG/NEVER HINGED--VF. SHIPPING AND HANDLING FOR THIS ITEM WILL BE freeing the United States with FIRST CLASS MAIL WITH TRACKING and 2.98 elswhere. Thanks for looking and please check out my other items
jenny.jpg
US $499.00

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nystamps-to-LA-1918-U-S-Curtis-J ... ctupt=true

Seller is rarestampsandpostcards, so I guess that used must be the new mint, or is that cancellation on the stamp all in my imagination. It does have one great thing going for it though - encased in a plastic tomb.

Norm
Attachments
jenny1.jpg

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Caj and PSE in Las Vegas, have vacated the roulette tables for 2 minutes, and have Numbaaah GRAYDEAD this USA gem at 116 out of a possible 100.

They agree it is NEVAH HUNGED. Minor details like postmarks and missing perfs are of no consequence.

$US499 seems CHEEP to me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Don't people get out much in Saudi Arabia? Seller is aboodkoa
Guniuns stamps collected from all over the world since between 1920 to 1990
US $4,750.00 (reduced from US $5,000.00) (plus $200 for postage)

BUT
Gandhi stamps 35
USA 21
Natale 1983 Italia
Revablica Italnia
Australia
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia 1960

and lot more,,,,, the biding is for each stamp more than welcome to email directly aboodkoa@gmail
Here are five of his fabulous stamps:
ebay5.jpg
ebay2.jpg
ebay1.jpg
ebay3.jpg
ebay4.jpg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Guniuns-stamps-collected-from-al ... SwIFJezWzR

Norm

ETA 18/6/20: Now only $4,500 ea. At $25.00 reduction per listing, it will only take another 18 listings before this idiot gets to the real value of his (and I use the term loosely) "stamps"

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/324199441452?ViewItem=&item=324199441452

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”