Stamp Countries that ebay/paypal claim are VERBOTEN to sell!

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

mikeg
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Re: Stamp countries currently banned for sale by eBay

Post by mikeg »

I always check to see what others are listed before selling odd items, and every other one I found, the sellers called also them 'Knockoffs' :lol:

I am pretty sure it was just the automated trolling software that jumped on it.

There is 2 pounds of brass in it, so maybe next time I'll list it as 'precious metals' :P
Stewie1980
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: Ebay Banning Iran Stamps?

Post by Stewie1980 »

It seems that the sanctions against Iran will be lifted soon!

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/02/world/iran-nuclear-talks/index.html
erich
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by erich »

I took a year or so off from selling stamps, and have returned to see that eBay/Paypal have gone completely barking mad with their policy of listing Cuban stamps...you can't. Explanation:

"We don't permit the sale of items that claim to be pre-embargo because we cannot determine when an item was removed from a specific country."

So I can't sell some Spanish Colonial items from the 19th C. there, because I can't prove they weren't in Cuba at some point after 1961.

I assume that Stampboards doesn't have this ridiculous policy in the Sales area?

Can you tell I just bought a nice Cuba collection that I want to re-sell? :roll:
gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

erich wrote:I assume that Stampboards doesn't have this ridiculous policy in the Sales area?
Of course not!

The only "ridiculous" policies that we have are that you provide a "member-friendly" price, and you tell us how you'd like to be paid. :wink:
iaincraven
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by iaincraven »

erich wrote:
I assume that Stampboards doesn't have this ridiculous policy in the Sales area?
If you accept PayPal via Stampboards I'd still make sure you don't mention banned country names in the PayPal transaction. Its PayPal which is the root cause of the restriction. And you can get fairly draconian PayPal account problems if you put through transactions mentioning the "wrong words".

I was researching some Sudan items earlier today and noticed that eBay seems to be allowing listings where Sudan is listed as South Sudan. I guess since sanctions are not in place for South Sudan someone has managed to get this agreed as a workaround - from the volume of listings PayPal must be allowing those transactions through. And it looks like South Sudan listings have been up for weeks.

Might get a chance to phone PayPal tomorrow and clarify.
BC Stamps Limited
https://www.bcstamps.co.uk
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

cobbie10 wrote:I tried listing two 1899 covers mailed from Cuba to the USA yesterday - both with USA stamps with the Cuba overprints, and both items were rejected because I had the word CUBA in the title. I managed to get around this by changing the title to Havana as this is where they originated from. I haven't tried anything from Iran as of yet.
Is this stupid rule still in place re Cuba MINT stamps?

Obama had his love-in with Raoul Castro recently. Has anyone told that to the chimps in at ebay/paypal? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I listed this USA stamp up here today - am waiting for the FBI to abseil down my roof for being such a revolutionary!
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
billw2
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by billw2 »

Global Administrator wrote:
cobbie10 wrote:I tried listing two 1899 covers mailed from Cuba to the USA yesterday - both with USA stamps with the Cuba overprints, and both items were rejected because I had the word CUBA in the title. I managed to get around this by changing the title to Havana as this is where they originated from. I haven't tried anything from Iran as of yet.

Obama had his love-in with Raoul Castro recently. Has anyone told that to the chimps in at ebay/paypal? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I listed this USA stamp up here today - am waiting for the FBI to abseil down my roof for being such a revolutionary!
Scott E1 BTW.

It is completely legal for an American to buy and import that stamp, these are freely and openly traded in the USA.
Rob1956

Post by Rob1956 »

Global Administrator wrote:

Have you checked the bushes lately?
Australian Commonwealth Collectors Club of NSW. Member ACCC of NSW
vikingeck
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by vikingeck »

I believed the embargo against trading with Iran had been relaxed or lifted ?

However a small $3 lot of 19th Century Persia I listed on ebay was removed after a couple of days.

As I write there are 255 other lots of Persia stamps available to buy on ebay and a similar number of coins. A phone call to an ebay minion got the parroted message " Unfortunately you cannot list embargoed items on ebay.UK!" with no explanation of why there were already several other similar lots already on ebay UK ( 2 at least from Scotland!) and ebay.com. ( dozens from USA)

Over zealous, inept or ignorant ? Probably all three! I'm off to try an list the same items on ebay.com and see if that gets accepted.

Watch this space for an update !
whatever it is -------it's better than a poke in eye with a wet umbrella !
vikingeck

Post by vikingeck »

Having been banned / removed from ebay.UK , I have re-listed on ebay.com.

2 days now with a bidder and still listed /not removed .

Very Strange & Inconsistent ruling by ebay !
mikeg

Post by mikeg »

I had a few Persia lots deleted by eBay about 2 months ago :?

Some even had bids on them already.

I suspect it all depends on some 'hero' reporting your lots :lol: :lol:

I have not heard anything about anything changing lately :?:
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

"Consistently Inconsistent."
Ebay' Family Motto it seems. :mrgreen:

Current Official "Policy" -

"Shill Bidding on ebay is VERBOTEN. Anyone doing it will be shot at dawn, if not sooner, and their account suspended forever, if not longer."

Actual official action -

Shill bidding is FANTASTIC for ebay and paypal, as we make $$$ MILLIONS extra from it each month, pushing up clueless Bunnies and making them pay tons more than they needed to. Start up a few fake accounts to do the Shilling from, or use your Mum's, sisters, pet cats or next door neighbours account to shill up the bids. GO FOR IT - PUSH THAT $50 CHEAPSKATE UP TO $75 - TODAY. Nothing will ever happen to you, even if reported directly to us.

Only a brain dead dummy plays silly footsies openly bidding for anything days out, instead of a savvy last second snipe. That means 99% of ebayers play footises. :lol: :lol:
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
vikingeck

Post by vikingeck »

Well Ebay has done it again. I listed my Persia on ebay.com instead of ebay.uk . It ran for 4 days and got 5 watchers + 1 confirmed bid.

Along with dozens of other Persia lots still running, I was hopeful of shifting them at last, but has just been embargoed by ebay and shut down!
iaincraven

Post by iaincraven »

Well Ebay has done it again
It may be for the best that eBay is cancelling your listings. The real problems come from PayPal at the payment stage and I've read horror stories about both buyers and sellers having PP account problems after selling stamps containing banned country names - i.e. Cuba, Sudan and Iran. Its not eBay specific - Delcampe and bidStart sellers had the same problems and if I put through transactions direct from my own website with Iran in the basket list then it would trigger PP problems as well.

PayPal aren't being super cautious for nothing as they did get fined £5m by the US Government over sanction issues:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32067151

I assume after this fine they decided analysis of transactions with those keywords wasn't worth the trouble and a blanket ban was the safest option. While it seems a ridiculous situation I can at least see where they are coming from. We can see how stupid it is to ban sales of British Colonial era Sudan stamps, but for PayPal it probably isn't worth the potential trouble.
BC Stamps Limited
aethelwulf
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by aethelwulf »

Here's a new twist on an old problem.

This stamp,

is part of a commemorative set from China (the PRC), "the 4th anniversary of the Cuban Revolution".

So of course eBay's system won't allow the listing with it's proper set title, because "selling stamps from embargoed Cuba is banned". :roll:
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.
Butterfly88
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by Butterfly88 »

South Sudan is it's own country now. Are stamps from there banned too? Not that I have any to sell, just curious.
mpstamps

Post by mpstamps »

I do not think so. There are some offers of South Sudan stamps right now in ebay.
aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Not philatelic, but another twist on the issue of U.S. trade embargoes, and Paypal's overzealous extraterritoriality,
PayPal freezes Canadian media company's account over story about Syrian family

A community newspaper's payment to enter a feel-good story about a family of Syrian refugees in an awards competition prompted PayPal to freeze the account of a national media organization after flagging the suspicious transaction, The Canadian Press has learned.

The weekly Flin Flon Reminder entered the article — titled "Syrian family adapts to new life" — last month as part of its submissions to the annual Canadian Community Newspaper Awards. The feature story from July 2016 outlines the challenges and triumphs as the family settled in the Manitoban town of 5,100 and the community's willingness to make them feel welcome.
Full article http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/paypal-freezes-flin-f ... -1.3977292
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

ASDA Dealer reported to Feds selling Korea stamps on website

ASDA Dealer reported to Feds selling Korea stamps on his own website.

These idiots will report you to the Feds for selling even 100++ year old issues from these countries like Cuba or Persia/Iran as they do not have the brains to read the issue date of the stamps. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Got this from ASDA New York, where I am a Life Member.

A member of the ASDA had been reported to OFAC (Office of Foreign Assets Control) for selling stamps from North Korea on their own website and offering PayPal as a payment option.

So we thought that it might be a good idea to remind our members of PayPal and eBay policies on embargoed countries, as well as the email from PayPal on the consequences of doing so. While we realize that eBay does have listings of stamps on their site from some of these countries and if you are able to list them on eBay, you might run into similar problems if accepting PayPal as a form of payment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PayPal Policy on Prohibited Countries

Governing bodies often have regulations and financial sanctions in place that prohibit transactions with certain high-risk countries. In most cases, the processing bank will decline transactions that originate from these countries. In the rare instance that the processing bank authorizes the transaction, the funding bank will prevent it from settling, and Braintree will let you know.

The restricted countries vary depending on the country where your business is domiciled. In the US, you can generally expect that payments will not be accepted from the following countries:

• Belarus
• Burma (Myanmar)
• Cote d'Ivoire
• Democratic Republic of the Congo
• Iran
• Iraq
• Liberia (Former Regime of Charles Taylor)
• Persons Undermining the Sovereignty of Lebanon or Its Democratic Processes and Institutions
• North Korea
• Sierra Leone
• Sudan
• Syria
• Western Balkans
• Zimbabwe

Be sure to check government sites, such as the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) Resources page, for the most up-to-date information.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Following is the letter the member received from PayPal -

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system.

PayPal is committed to complying with and meeting its global regulatory obligations. One obligation is to ensure that our customers, merchants, and partners are also in compliance with applicable U.S. laws and regulations in their use of PayPal.

PayPal's Compliance Department has reviewed a recent transaction and identified the activity as being in violation of U.S. regulations.

U.S. regulations currently prohibit the purchase or sale of various goods and services originating from or being shipped to Cuba and North Korea.

It has come to our attention that you're advertising PayPal as a method of payment for the sale of goods and services originating from the country or countries noted above. To ensure that your activity and transactions comply with current regulations, PayPal is requesting that you complete the
following:

1. Remove PayPal as a payment option; or
2. Segregate your checkout to disallow PayPal as a method of payment for any goods or services originating from the aforementioned country or countries; or
3. Remove all goods or services originating from the aforementioned country or countries from your website.

When this is complete, please email us at compliancetransactions@paypal.com.

You can also log in to your account and go to the Resolution Center to find out what you need to do. In order to prevent risk for us and our customers, we have limited what you can do with your account until the issue is resolved. Please note that we reserve our right to terminate our account relationship and close your PayPal account if we are unable to resolve this issue.

As a result of the violation, details of your account and the transaction have been reported to OFAC.

Any further violations will result in the closure of your account.

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,
PayPal Compliance Department

eBay Policy on Embargoed Countries

We don't allow the sale of embargoed items from the following countries, and we don't allow organizations, businesses, or individuals to have or register accounts while based in these countries:

Cuba
Iran
North Korea
Syria

We don't allow organizations, businesses, or individuals on the Specially Designated Nationals list (SDN) to have or register accounts.

We don't permit the sale of items that claim to be pre-embargo because we cannot determine when an item was removed from a specific country.

aethelwulf

Re: ASDA Dealer reported to Feds selling Korea stamps on web

Post by aethelwulf »

Global Administrator wrote:We don't permit the sale of items that claim to be pre-embargo because we cannot determine when an item was removed from a specific country.]
They do have a point ... just because someone in the USA is selling Cuban stamps issued before 1959, they could have been sitting in Cuba until last week, and only removed from Cuba post-embargo.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

aethelwulf wrote: They do have a point...just because someone in the USA is selling Cuban stamps issued before 1959, they could have been sitting in Cuba until last week, and only removed from Cuba post-embargo.
And your quaint view extends to 19th Century Cuba issues I suppose? :roll:
norvic

Post by norvic »

Those will be the ones issued by Spain, and those US stamps overprinted CUBA? I wonder how they treat these!

Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock before Royal Mail burn them all, singles, booklets, booklet panes, regionals - lists here: or email/DM your general needs and I'll let you know whether it's worth sending a wants list.
vikingeck

Post by vikingeck »

Treatment will be totally irrational and robotic!

If some one spots it, and complains, it gets Zapped.

I've had Iran and Persia refused last year. Once we even got as far as a potential UK buyer when Paypal bounced it with a threat of excommunication, "bell book and candle" as the saying goes.

There are however 145 Lots of Cuba listed on ebay.uk today and 229 on ebay.com , and 931 Lots of Iran. There are even quite a number of North Korea and DR Korea Listed .

I think the crunch comes in at checkout if Paypal is involved.

Over zealous covering PayPal's back.
aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

There is our thinking, and then their is their (the bureaucrats) thinking.

Our thinking: This stamp was issued by the Spanish colonial authorities/by the US colonial occupation/by the casino mafia in the 1930s. Therefore, the 1961 (?) embargo does not apply to it.

Their thinking: How do you prove that the stamp has been outside Cuba since before the embargo? For all we know, Uncle Pedro smuggled it to his niece in Miami last month, so she could sell it for him and he could get some hard currency.

In our thinking, we separate old stuff from new. Old stamps shouldn't be affected because their issue date pre-dates the embargo. In their thinking, it's easier to throw a dragnet over anything with the name "Cuba" or "Iran" attached, because there's no way to prove the date of export. Although if there were post offices in Cuba still selling 'ancient' stamps with CUBA overprints, one could make a good profit. :lol:

At least, that's how I interpret their stance.

Of course, we all know the Cuban embargo is so full of holes...for decades, it's been common knowledge that Americans need only drive up to Montreal and they can get a flight to Cuba. Immigration authorities in whatever beach resort the Yanks go to will put the entry stamp on a slip of paper tucked in the passport, so if their US passport is inspected, it will appear the holidaymakers simply spent their time in Canada. How they got a tan in la belle province in winter though....
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

vikingeck wrote:
I've had Iran and Persia refused last year. Once we even got as far as a potential UK buyer when Paypal bounced it with a threat of excommunication, "bell book and candle" as the saying goes.
At least a Scot can't be turned over to the Feds. :lol:
vikingeck

Post by vikingeck »

True enough !

but I'm still stuck with a small collection of Persia ($3) that has been bounced twice off ebay/paypal :(
vikingeck

Post by vikingeck »

Two years on since my last posting on this topic I tried listing a stock card of old PERSIA on ebay.

I got a bidder in the UK so I emailed him to warn him not to pay by paypal but be prepared to send a UK Cheque. He agreed, but of course we are not allowed to correspond by direct email via the ebay link .

The item ran for 5 days but was pulled by ebay this morning " embargoed goods"

So a small sale has been lost and my bidder does not get his Persian stamps, this despite the fact that when I search ebay stamps I find 14 lots listed under Iran and 825 listed as Persia!

Many of these listed on ebay.com or ebay.uk .
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

mikeg wrote:If eBay were to ban all the countries the US has had a war with - they would be effectively shut down :lol:
Love it!
vicaf60

Re: Stamp Countries that ebay/paypal claim are VERBOTEN to l

Post by vicaf60 »

All Photobucket “Ransom” images above have been replaced, and saved forever.
fletches1

Post by fletches1 »

Here is an example of their stupidity.

A sale containing this item got banned today. !!!

------------------------------------------------------
1 x Umm al Qiwain 1972 Persian Empire 2500th Anniv MS (Mi#601B) MUH (104579) = $3.75

Nothing to do with any of their embargoed items, just a mindless word search.

Stamp Collecting does not have to be Expensive to be Fun ! - .
Stamp Mall over 80,000 items in my Online Store !! on 128 bit encrypted SSL Secure Server.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

You are being VERY tough Steve. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It mentions PERSIA. Which 100 years ago or whatever, became Iran, and America does not right now like Iran. They are not too keen on IRAQ either, and 99% of Americans don't know the difference, so they dislike both, for the sake of convenience!
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Not Bruce wrote:A quick check has revealed that eBay's latest monumentally stupid ban has been nearly 100% effective with stamp sellers ...

You cannot now sell stamps from the following places (regardless of date of issue)...

IRAN
SYRIA
BURMA
NORTH KOREA
SUDAN
CUBA

This ban seems to have impacted on stamps much more than other goods.
So does anyone know if this is still the official "WE NO LIKEY" list, or has Trump got friendly with some of these despots?
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Stamp Countries that ebay/paypal claim are VERBOTEN to s

Heavy handed monstering like this to CANADIANS is over the top -
Alan63 wrote: I listed a lot of Cubans on Ebay with a title like "Stamps from a Big Caribbean Island that starts with a C". Didn't mention Cuba at all in the offering. Guy in Florida buys the lot, gets excited, sends me a message saying "THANKS! It's really hard to find stamps from CUBA"

BANG

Paypal flags this message and a day later my paypal account is suspended. I have to jump through some hoops, sign a pledge (seriously) and send it in along with my solemn promise to obey US law. I'm in Canada by the way. Now I await a verdict from paypal as to whether or not I am worthy of Uncle Sam's trust. No word on my balance, which was in the hundreds but is currently listed as zero.

No pal of mine this company.

The gent who bought my Cuban lot had his account suspended as well. I was on the phone to paypal tonight for an hour trying to sort this out.

The process they demand includes printing, signing, scanning and uploading an "acceptable use policy affidavit". Plot twist: the document is not available on their site to print - not even at the resolution centre site where this process begins. Paypal guy on phone was very helpful and assured me they would send me the affidavit file. What a pal.

On the flip side, all I heard from Ebay was a warning and notice that the items had been removed. Which is fine - my account is intact. Paypal drops the hammer though. Good cop bad cop right? Aren't they owned by the same company?

Felt bad that I hung the buyer up like this so I sent the Cubans along gratis. Suck it America.
krautinjapan
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by krautinjapan »

A personal experience - a couple of years ago, I sold a 1960s Sudan cover on Delcampe to a buyer in Oz for the enormous amount of 3 (three!) Euros.

Because of the fact, that these three Euros posed a clear and present danger to US and worldwide economies, PainPal immediately voided the transaction, sent warnings to me and the buyer and froze my account.

It took me three weeks and an intervention from the EU FSA to have my account unfrozen for a 3 Euros plus s/h transaction...

I had to write a whole thesis to make a case for this cover (sent in 1963 from Sudan to W. Germany) to be outside the scope of sanctions against Sudan...

From then on, I put a note in relevant item descriptions, that PainPal is unacceptable for certain items.

For North Korea - two years ago, I bought the correspondence of an East German diplomat who was based in Pyongyang from the mid-50s thru the late 60s. A few dozen local covers were also included.

I listed these covers on Yahoo Japan, with a note attached, that these covers would not be subject to Japanese sanctions against N. Korea, and that PainPal was not an option.

Guess what? No problems whatsoever, I more than quadrupled my money... ;-). Once you keep the US out of a transaction, you're home free... ;-).
REALITY.SYS flawed and corrupted - reboot universe? [ Y ] / [ N ]
revenuecollector

Post by revenuecollector »

I believe that most the banning/withdrawals/threats/etc. come from cross-border transactions. I don't believe (I could be wrong) that same-country transactions receive the same scrutiny. I've purchased multiple Iran lots and items on eBay within the last year and paid via PayPal. No issues either for me or the sellers in question.

If you read the policies above the prohibitions are geared primarily towards import/export of merchandise from banned countries.

If I were going to list an item from one of the countries, I would be sure to set the listing for domestic sale only.

Then again, as inconsistently as eBay/PayPal enforce their twisted rules, who knows what the actual guidelines are...
aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Here's a way to get around the eBay ban on Cuba material... :wink:

Vintage 1800's Single Star American Flag Back Postmarked Envelope 6.5" X 3.75"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1800-039-s-Single-Star-Amer ... 2283683016
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

aethelwulf wrote:Here's a way to get around the eBay ban on Cuba material... :wink:

Vintage 1800's Single Star American Flag Back Postmarked Envelope 6.5" X 3.75"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1800-039-s-Single-Star-Amer ... 2283683016
Yes the dopes on ebay probably thought that Cuban flag was that of Texas! :lol: :lol: :lol:
JonEboy

Re: Stamp Countries that ebay/paypal claim are VERBOTEN to sell!

Post by JonEboy »

Here's another item to add to list, though I'm at a loss as to why.

Scan 21.jpeg
Scan 22.jpeg

As I explained on this thread, the cover came from a donation and I was trying to list it to raise some funds for our local Philatelic Society.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, when I tried to list it, eBay won't allow it.

They simply point me to their 'Embargoed Goods' page which lists these countries as not being allowed;
Sellers can't list embargoed goods or pre-embargoed goods from these countries or regions:

Cuba
Crimea region of Ukraine (as defined under applicable sanctions)
Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea)
Iran
Syria
I also get a warning telling me not to try relisting it. I've ignored that and since tried removing any mentions of the location (even though it's Israel and should be fine to list) but it's almost impossible to do that and still include the relevant details of the cancels.

Here's what I was trying to say - can anyone see an issue with this?
You are bidding on a creased MEF cover from 1942. It has 4 stamps affixed, all with M.E.F overprints, 1 x 2½d, 1 x 3d and a pair of the 5d stamps making an effective rate of 1/3½d. The cover was sent to Messrs Atid Navigation Company Ltd, Inspection Dept. P.O.B 416. Someone has written the word 'Egypt' in pencil near the address.

It has an airmail etiquette bottom left corner, a censor seal number 3 with "Examined by Censor/Varificato Per Censura” and the stamps appear to have been cancelled with 'Asmara Ferrovia’ ‘Arrivi Partenze’ in a CDS with the date of 29.8.42.

It has two different censor cancels on the front, ‘Passed by/Passato Per Censura CENSOR 2’ in purple ink and a second smaller cancel mark with a bilingual Censorship Dept cancel in black, with a capital ‘M' in the middle.

On the reverse it has a sender of R.Redner ℅ Gelatly, Hankey Massawa. It also has two overlapping small CAIRO CDS cancels, one dated August and the other September. It has in black a mirrored version of the bilingual censor mark as seen on the front and a second purple censor mark, similar to the front but this one saying ‘Passed by/Passato Per Censura CENSOR 10’.

The cover suffers from a vertical folding crease but is still a rare censored cover. Funds from this sale are going directly to support our local philatelic society which, like many, has suffered through lockdown.
Thought I'd add the details here for posterity, just in case this Eritrea and Israel are now on the list....

Jon
Barbados, Commonwealth, France & Colonies, GB, Line Engraved, Intaglio & Recess printed stamps
http://www.barbadosstamps.co.uk
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

List up endless fakes and forgeries of ANYTHING and do not mention them and eBay happily takes your money.

List up a standard Palestine cover, and the WackyBay Jackboots appear.

They have totally lost the plot in there. :roll: :roll: :roll:
iaincraven

Post by iaincraven »

I had similar problems with MEF items a few years ago. I don't think it will be the description - more likely the item title. I never worked out precisely what the trigger was, but did you have "Middle East Forces" in the title? I guess people were using the term Middle East to list Iran so it got added to the algorithm list of terms. Although it wasn't just straight-forward use of that term as other sellers could list similar.

I changed my title format to "BOIC MEF Forces" and haven't had problems since. I can use "King George VI British Occupation of Italian Colonies Middle East Forces MEF overprint" fine in the description. It was use in the title causing the problem.
BC Stamps Limited
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

iaincraven wrote: 26 Feb 2021 21:40
I had similar problems with MEF items a few years ago. I don't think it will be the description - more likely the item title. I never worked out precisely what the trigger was, but did you have "Middle East Forces" in the title? I guess people were using the term Middle East to list Iran so it got added to the algorithm list of terms. Although it wasn't just straight-forward use of that term as other sellers could list similar.

I changed my title format to "BOIC MEF Forces" and haven't had problems since. I can use "King George VI British Occupation of Italian Colonies Middle East Forces MEF overprint" fine in the description. It was use in the title causing the problem.
Thanks, I did have Middle East Forces in there as well as M.E.F but I didn't think that would be an issue given these are already listed and live;
Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 11.31.22.png
I'll give it a try again removing the words and see what happens....

Jon
Barbados, Commonwealth, France & Colonies, GB, Line Engraved, Intaglio & Recess printed stamps
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

I'll send food parcels. The CIA will be onto you any day. :lol: :lol:

Number-O-Ne
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by Number-O-Ne »

Once I listed a cover (1950s) sent to Iran. Ebay said "NEIN!"

I changed the title to something like "Cover from... sent to Persia" and it was accepted without problems.
Italian Social (Not Socialist :mrgreen: ) Republic Postal History
erich

Post by erich »

It is completely arbitrary whether they flag your items, and ridiculous in the first place since all of these stamps are perfectly legal to own/sell once they are in the US.

They are illegal to import directly from the embargoed countries, but once you have them in hand, it's not your problem to prove they got here legally...unless you're eBay/PayPal.

Not letting buyers/sellers register from these countries makes complete sense. Banning the items doesn't.
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

Update - I simply removed 'Middle East Forces' and left everything else as it was. Now live :mrgreen:

Let's see if I can raise any club funds....

Jon
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

JonEboy wrote: 27 Feb 2021 23:38 Update - I simply removed 'Middle East Forces' and left everything else as it was. Now live :mrgreen:

Let's see if I can raise any club funds....

Jon
Update - it sold and the full story is here.

Jon :mrgreen:

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”