Fake eBay Sale? - 1919 Ross Smith Vignette that Glen sold.

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

fromdownunder
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Fake eBay Sale? - 1919 Ross Smith Vignette that Glen sold.

Post by fromdownunder »

Sorry about the first scan, but is the best I could do. If somebody can do it better, go for it.

It comes from - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1920-ross-smith-airmail-stamp-/13 ... 1e886a29e1

and seller imoo-vabull is offering it at a starting price of AUD 4,500.

Now a look at the scan (and again sorry about the first one) the perfs and WM look so totally identical to this one, sold by Glen to one of his clients for AUD 15,000 in June last year, that I suspect that this might be a complete scam, and that it a scan that has just been ripped from another source, possibly here.
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=46581

Here is seller imoo-vabull's most recent feedback, from January 2014
the seller took my money but never sent the item, terrible dealer do not trust!! a***a ( 5 ) 06-Jan-14 15:0
Do not bid on this item. Tell your friends.

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain
traralgon3844
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Fake eBay Sale? - Kingsford Smith Vignette.

Post by traralgon3844 »

This is the best I could do. Matching the two sheets is all about the perfs anyway.
Feedback of 43 and mostly as a buyer.
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Fake eBay Sale? - Kingsford Smith Vignette.

Post by Global Administrator »

Well spotted Norm.

Absolutely the same sheet. Image stolen from here.

Every one of the few existing full Vignette sheets is illustrated in the recent Frommer book on this issue, and all margins and angle of margins is totally distinctive to each copy.

The one I had was sold to a doctor in country NSW last year for $15,000.

He spoke to me last week, so is alive and well, and this listing from Paralowie SA is a total FRAUD attempt by imoo-vabull

Some bunny will buy it at ONE THIRD real world value, and imoo-vabull will vanish with the funds before Paypal and ebay wake up to the scam.

PayPal loses $4,500+ and another good reason NOT to assume any high priced "bargain" on ebay is any such thing. :idea: :idea: :idea:

He has no other stuff for sale, and has not sold things recently.

A TOTAL Fraud and get those reports in folks.

ebay now have set up a fast new portal JUST to report suspected sellers of forged and non-existent stamps at - http://www.tinyurl.com/ebayfakes - also found at - http://www.ebay.com/scw - there is space for 10,000 characters in your reply, so all the relevant info can be added. Unlike most ebay complaint forms that allow just 100 characters etc.

Please take a moment to do BOTH ….. do the “Report Item” drop-down, and give a summary on the link above.

Most likely they will go to 2 different ebay staffers, and that is double trouble for the fakers.

Some staffers ignore such stuff, others are more pro-active – it is a lottery.

However several reports on any single item can be seen by all staffers looking at it, and that generally gets some action.
Allanswood

Re: Fake eBay Sale? - 1919 Ross Smith Vignette that Glen sol

Post by Allanswood »

Glen, can you check with your buyer, the Doctor, that he has not been robbed recently. This is either a case of selling stolen goods or outright fraud.

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Greg as I said he was ordering off me in last few days on phone.

The Adelaide sale is a TOTAL fraud and ebay need be advised please folks.
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Reported via both channels.

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Thanks Greg .. you and others will save the "Bargain Hunter" Bunnies from bidding madly on a block that they will NEVER see. :roll: :twisted:

The scammers were doing it a lot last year as I reported - and buyers who SHOULD know better were getting sucked on for big sums -

https://www.glenstephens.com/snapril13.html
When someone offers you a “GENUINE Rolex” for $50 in a pub on Friday night, you’d never dream of buying it - right?

Yet oddly when “Rolex” priced stamp lots are offered on ebay, all sorts of folks who should know better, leap madly into the fray!

Complete 1913 set mint for £900

One ebay seller of modest under 100 feedback - “highcapacity822012” offered a full set of “Mint 1913 Kangaroos” on ebay for £900 - “Buy It Now”.

This UK seller had only bought and sold real cheapie “dollar shop” cheapie items in the past - near none of them stamp related.

£900 “Post Free” was a great deal on the surface, as I’d readily buy them for $10,000 more than that in decent shape.

Excuse the horrible photo - that is all the seller listed on ebay. Another reason alarm bells should have been ringing SUPER loudly.

I do not think they were even real Roos - just the fuzzy colour photocopy fakes on white office paper that you can buy all day long on ebay for $15 a set.

Facially those look pretty good, but of course have no watermarks, and are stamped “REPLICA” on the reverse.

Ebayer “de66” jumped in and bought them - David Elsmore, experienced Exhibitor, 15 year ebay member, and fellow “Stamp News” columnist.

Astute readers are ahead of me here I think. Yep. Elsmore paid up, and the stamps never arrived.

Seller took his money and ran chuckling into the distance, causing Dave to waste hours wrestling with PayPal etc for a refund.

A full month after the sale closed, “de66” left ebay feedback saying - “A £900 sting - BEWARE” Gave same feedback re the non-existent NZ he bought.

VERY lucky buyer

Elsmore confirmed on stampboards that he managed weeks later to get his money refunded for these, and the New Zealand stamp “bargains” from same seller.

He was very LUCKY that PayPal refunded. No-one likes to see anyone dudded out of £1000.

Had the UK seller mailed him a Registered envelope filled with a few sheets of white paper, there would NOT be a £1000+ PayPal refund I am thinking.

Especially if the scammer was cunning, and picked only 1 or 2 pricey items to list now and again, so there was no pattern.

Ebay do not care about collectors being ripped off, as they get a fee on the ebay sale and PayPal payment. WIN-WIN for them.

PayPal would simply state the Registered item was mailed and was signed for, and close the case - and the cunning bargain hunting BUYER is 1000+ quid out of pocket.

Sadly that is the price of not listening to that little voice most folks have in their heads - “If it seems too good to be true - it probably IS”!
CMJ
Rescued a MILLION Stampboard Images
Rescued a MILLION  Stampboard Images

Post by CMJ »

Allanswood wrote:Reported via both channels.
Ditto.
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I find the odd thing is that he will not post it - "local pickup only."

Spartacus
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Spartacus »

As Glen always says " Knowledge is Power"

Cheers
Be like a postage stamp. Stick to one thing until you get there.
traralgon3844

Post by traralgon3844 »

Allanswood wrote:I find the odd thing is that he will not post it - "local pickup only."

I wouldn't rock up at his place or some agreed meeting point with $4,500 in my pocket. His feedback does not bode well. And yes, that is all he has sold.
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Allanswood wrote:Reported via both channels.
Also ditto.
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.
Tassie_Stamps
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Tassie_Stamps »

I've done the report too.

Hope ebay takes this down.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Allanswood wrote:I find the odd thing is that he will not post it - "local pickup only."

I think that is clumsy code for "I am not keen on taking paypal"

I am sure if you did a bank transfer or sent a money order etc, he'd be delighted to do a deal. :twisted:

Some Bunny will, in order to "snag a Bargain" and will then await for the item, that will never arrive.
DJM

Post by DJM »

Pickup address is probably a vacant lot...

D.
fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

One thing to consider is that he may have a Kingsford Smith MS (certainly not the one Glen sold), but one of the tens of thousands of reprints that are floating around.

There have been a number of threads here over many years showing how neophytes "think" that they have the real thing.

Norm
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Norm you mean Ross Smith I think?

Well if he had a reprint for sale, he needs to scan THAT.

They are worth 45 cents, not 45 HUNDRED.
fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Global Administrator wrote:Norm you mean Ross Smith I think?
Three Oopses and a mea culpa. But the plot sickens (pun intended) We now have two scans of a totally different unwatermarked MS as "proof" of ownership. I said above
One thing to consider is that he may have a Ross Smith MS (certainly not the one Glen sold), but one of the tens of thousands of reprints that are floating around.
Ask and ye shall receive (and thanks for the quick service imoo-vabull) , and where did the watermark go, how did all the perforations change so quickly and why does it have different centring? Shape shifting aliens I can almost accept as a science fiction device. Shape shifting perforations vanishing watermarks and a stamp not being centred the same as the original scan not so much.

What a dweeb. Now it needs to be reported for trying to sell a reprint as the real thing.

Nobody who is not a collector would know what goes in in our little world. You really can't make this stuff up. Nobody would believe you. imoo-vabull you are now on my watch list for as long as I live.

Norm
toschka
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by toschka »

As the listing is still active - also reported.

Hopefully this scammers life will be short lived (one lives in hope).
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Norm this imoo-vabull idiot has swapped over the photos of the 50c Reprint HOWEVER has also added in a photo of a GENUINE stolen from somewhere else I feel sure.
Keep the reports on imoo-vabull going in folks.

Toshka .. speaking of life being short lived - can you READ your email from me please re old stockbook and respond. :idea:
admin
Site Administrator
Location: That's on a need to know basis - and YOU do not need to know!

Post by admin »

stamp ebay seller conman imoo-vabull has clearly been reading this thread - after the post above, he has now removed the second fake image from his listing - unluckily for him I kept screen captures.

Tassie_Stamps

Post by Tassie_Stamps »

I am glad no one has bid $4500 on imoo-vabull 's junk fake stamps yet. :roll:
fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

admin wrote:stamp ebay seller conman imoo-vabull has clearly been reading this thread - after the post above, he has now removed the second fake image from his listing - unluckily for him I kept screen captures.
Yep - Edits recorded below.
The seller has revised the following item information:
Revised Information 12-Mar-14 11:40:38 AEDST

PictureURL: Pictures Added/Deleted
Added the post of his reprint.
The seller has revised the following item information:
Revised Information 13-Mar-14 12:13:35 AEDST

PictureURL: Pictures Added/Deleted
Deleted the scan he stole of the genuine stamp that he stole from here or your web page.

I wonder if this lying crook imoo-vabull is/was a member (under another name) who posted this piece of recyclable garbage here in the hope that he/she had just won the lottery, and still drops in occasionally? There are several examples of this over the years.

I am not going to follow this up with a search. It 'aint worth the effort. But it has allowed me to have a lot of fun, so far.

Norm
fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

His user name imoo-vabull, should be shortened to moo-bull, with a certain suffix for the second word that is something I used to use to make my roses grow.

Norm
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

fromdownunder wrote: I am not going to follow this up with a search. It 'aint worth the effort. But it has allowed me to have a lot of fun, so far.

Norm
No need Norm, Google is your friend. Right click on the original image and do an image search https://www.google.co.uk/search?tbs=sbi:AMhZZit5Xywnckg4tTfh ... 6L8mqTKsDw

Any examples of this image appear as if by magic :D

Jon
Barbados, Commonwealth, France & Colonies, GB, Line Engraved, Intaglio & Recess printed stamps
http://www.barbadosstamps.co.uk
traralgon3844

Post by traralgon3844 »

For those who aren't aware of how common the reprints are, I just picked up 50 at the Essendon Broadmeadows Club tonight for $3. A lot of people buy them for a couple of bucks a piece because they can't afford a real one.

The trip was worthwhile. I bought 18 French Marianne covers from around 1947 for $4, plus a few other bargains including a Seven Seas pre-dec hingeless album.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

imoo-bull has ended the listing.

What a CRETIN.
Robert1
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Robert1 »

Global Administrator wrote:imoo-bull has ended the listing.

What a CRETIN.
Well Done!
Warm Regards, Rob, If you have time, please visit my blog: http://sparetimecollector.blogspot.com/
Collecting: Fine Used Australia 1913 - Current | Australian Territories | Hong Kong | Malaya/Malaysia | Straits Settlements
Philatelics (Australia)
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by Philatelics (Australia) »

We had a phone call that swore they had a genuine vignette and brought it into the shop yesterday.

We sent them away after showing them a few identical reprints, suspect it may have been the same one that was on the listing.

Steve
Stamp Auctions On-line www.philatelics.com.au

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”