270 Volume Stamp Collection available for $US475,000 on ebay

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

danski99
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

270 Volume Stamp Collection available for $US475,000 on ebay

Post by danski99 »

This collection looks very nice but would anyone really buy a lot on ebay for $475,000?

138 people watching it... I assume most are just curious to see if anyone bites ... seller is "NobleSpirit-4727"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NobleSpirit-4727-COLOSSAL-270x-Album ... 1394660174
Last edited by Global Administrator on 22 May 2015 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Expanded vague heading
mcgooley
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Re: Collection available for USD475,000

Post by mcgooley »

Sorry, not interested. Misdescribed as mint collection...
How often does one get the opportunity to buy a 270 Scott Album $4 million mint world collection? Never.

Until now.

You will never see a collection such as this available on the open market again.

Even if we took 100 photos per album (which would realistically be less than 10% of the number of photos necessary to adequately represent each volume), we would still never scratch the surface of this incredible estate.

Because every single volume is absolutely stuffed full, with page after page of complete mint singles and sets.
Most of the early stuff appears used! :lol: :lol: :lol:
FORESTS OLD, PASTURES NEW
"Truth is stranger than Fiction, but that is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." MARK TWAIN
danski99

Post by danski99 »

"complete mint singles"... wow!
Princestamps
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Princestamps »

I had a look at it (The 747 photos show stamps about 100 photos in). Its not too bad, but I will say a lot of gaps there as well and probably not worth the $650k (NZ$) they are asking. Plus storage would be a nightmare and I am worried about toning on those old pages that look acidopherous.

It possibly was one persons collection over the years and now the family want rid of it. The albums look very old which could be an issue. The spines look very Art Nouveau/Art Decoey suggesting they are about 1920s, but they could be only 60s or 70s. Who knows? either way, this looks like hard work along with a colossal shipping bill.
Huckle
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by Huckle »

Princestamps wrote:I had a look at it (The 747 photos show stamps about 100 photos in). Its not too bad, but I will say a lot of gaps there as well and probably not worth the $650k (NZ$) they are asking. Plus storage would be a nightmare and I am worried about toning on those old pages that look acidopherous.
It is an intriguing lot though. At any one time, I would not have thought there were too many $500k plus collections floating around for sale. It does beg the question of how you actually value beasts such as this? It has been around on EBay (and presumably more widely advertised that that) for a number of months, so clearly not in the "must snap this one up" basket by those in the know and with the resources. I would have thought the real value (from an investment sense) for such a collection would be in the $10k+ stamps and sets rather then the $1k+ as they refer to in the ad.

So how do you go valuing these very large collections (just in case a lazy $500k comes my way :wink: )?
Tassie_Stamps
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Tassie_Stamps »

First problem is finding some that actually has 500k.

Second problem is convincing them to buy a wild harvest lot like this that could contain anything and may well have had a lot of the better items removed.

Third problem is packing and shipping 270 Scott albums. Expensive.

Fourth problem is the description. "$4 Million Dollar mint world collection"
4 million what? Dollars in CV? Of what relevance is CV to market value? eg I know a dealer trying to sell a 5 volume Germany collection that has a CV of well over $6500, and he cannot even get $450 for it. 100,000 stamps with a CV of $1 are worth maybe $100 the lot if you can find a buyer.

Fifth problem, how old and clean are the albums?

You would surely brealk down a collection like this if you want to sell it.
danski99

Post by danski99 »

Just glancing at the GB images, there doesn't seem to be anything very special and even the Jubilees for example don't look to be in terrific nick
Rod Perry
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by Rod Perry »

"Collections" of common stamps such as this can be bought for around 1-2% catalogue, assuming one is in the market for Philatelic follies.

Rod
Preserve DNA - retain covers intact. Scientists may be grateful!
Commercial covers represent “Stamps in Action”: Philately’s last Great Frontier
fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Rod Perry wrote:"Collections" of common stamps such as this can be bought for around 1-2% catalogue, assuming one is in the market for Philatelic follies.

Rod
Rod, as a world A - Z collector, I find your statement "Philatelic follies" a bit insulting. You enjoy and research covers. I enjoy collecting stamps - and no, I am not and never have been a Philatelist. However, I am proud to call myself stamp collector.

I just spent about 3 days sorting, soaking and placing 100's of Africa ex-colony stamps into my collection, and while they are essentially not market worthy in a financial sense, they are listed in Gibbons, so are respectable enough for a collector. You want to know something? I enjoyed doing it.

I am certainly not under any illusion that my estate will be able to buy the Taj Mahal with the proceeds when sold, but it is my hobby, and fills up leisure time quite nicely.

It's fun, and isn't a hobby supposed to be just that?.

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain
Paulbar
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Paulbar »

Like someone said before this has to be broken down to separate out as individual lots the nicer material, and then group the remaining crap together and sell as a collection

How can you sell it like this and who is advising the family this is a good way to sell it? Not a good way because it will never sell like this for that kind of money.
PaulBar
Paulbar

Post by Paulbar »

Nothing near the value here they want - no early Canada even - just wallpaper - average quality of Jubs fine at best no mention of gum or hinging status all which hugely affect value

I can't understand why collectors try to collect the entire world. There is no way to put together a decent worldwide collection unless you are Tapling or King George V or Ferrari with millions.

Better to specialize and collect only the best within that specialty in my opinion
PaulBar
ddaann

Post by ddaann »

If the seller really wants it gone, this is the kind of collection that should be consigned to an auction house. There it will get a good looking over and a fair purchase price will be had. I too doubt that it's worth anything like a multiple of $100,000.
I am "ddaannv" on ebay, Dan at Dan's Stamps on HipStamp, and an APS member 86690 since 1976. Currently listing some British colonies, Disney, birds on stamps, and world-wide souvenir sheets including some on cover.
fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Paulbar wrote:I can't understand why collectors try to collect the entire world.
Because it is fun to do, and it does not cost an arm and a leg.

Let me add to my earlier post. I spent $70 on the (mostly) African lot I have been working on for several days. That was three days of fun. I go to a Movie, and when in Gold Class, with a meal and drinks that is 2 Hours at about the same cost.

Three days of entertainment for $70 doing something I enjoy? Priceless. As far as "returns" on my "investment" I will be comfortably dead, and frankly my dear, I will not give a damn

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain
MargoZ

Re: 270 Volume Stamp Collection available for $US475,000 on

Post by MargoZ »

Well said Norm - why go to Fiji every year when you can explore the whole world ?
Please click link below to "Like" stampboards on FACEBOOK -
https://www.facebook.com/stampboards/
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Seems like it has had a VERY chequered history, starting at $625,000, so already reduced by $150,000. :idea:

A nice general collection, and looking at the photos, worth in the real world about 20% of the current asking price, but hey this IS ebay, where dreamers roam the Earth. :mrgreen:

If Scott cat is actually $US4m (they impute that, but do not say so) and the bulk of the collection is post war and hinged, he might get around 5% of Scott on a very lucky day.

Large general collections like this are around, and I've handled a few even larger ones in my time.

These general collectors had a common MO .. they typically never bought the top values of key sets.

He has full sets of $100 type items, buyable anywhere, anytime, but almost never the $1000+ type sets.

This guy got lucky, and had a standing order for China from the late 1970s and missed all the Cultural Revolution etc, but has good value in the rest, despite being hinged.

Dealer seller focuses heavily on the China, as that is by far his best book.

The rest of his collection was not so stand out.

In general his 19th Century from all areas was weak, defective, forged, or non existent from every country.

His GB is very average, and does not have any QV and KGV high values above 5/- whatever.

His Australia States are near non existent, with not one imperf shown from anywhere that I could see, so they probably do not exist.

His Australia is bereft of all high value Kangaroos except a 10/ with a missing corner and a mint 5/- 1913 with a huge pen mark (but lovely "Elongated Spencer's Gulf" flaw!)

I did not see any USA despite this lot being listed under 'USA Stamp Collections.'

So pop in an offer of $100,000, and you are close to the real world world value. :mrgreen:

Glen

Huckle

Post by Huckle »

Out of interest, I had a look in a bit more detail regarding this EBay seller "NobleSpirit". They claim to have a 50 year history but moved to be an EBay exclusive seller at some stage. They also appear to be a bit of a pin up success story for using EBay as a sales medium, with a number of articles written about their business approach by others.

This is not the only major collection they have listed at the moment. A couple more examples as follows:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NobleSpirit-1-2-Million-Dollar-500-0 ... 1012695702? (NobleSpirit~ $1/2 Million Dollar ($500,000) WORLD RARITIES Investment Portfolio!)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NobleSpirit-BOH-ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME-4 ... 1119398187? (NobleSpirit~(BOH) ONCE IN A LIFETIME $400,000 GEM MINT US SPECIALIZED COLLECTION)

It's good to know you have a range of options for your lazy $100ks. :wink:

BTW, thanks for all the comments about how to value these things. Sounds like there are a lot more reasons not to invest than to jump in. Devil would be in the detail and you'd want to know key values rather than take a lucky dip approach.
Huckle

Post by Huckle »

Tassie_Stamps wrote: You would surely brealk down a collection like this if you want to sell it.
Yep, that sure makes sense - all depends on how much time you have on your hands.

And it is all hinged material, so no possible upside from finding superb grade early material in MUH condition where you might be able to attract a premium if you decide to break up and selling as separate lots.

It does say in the EBay listing that "We have been instructed to sell this estate intact as received!", so maybe there is some emotional attachment preventing whoever from breaking it up.
thecloudwatcher
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by thecloudwatcher »

Huckle wrote:
Princestamps wrote:I had a look at it (The 747 photos show stamps about 100 photos in). Its not too bad, but I will say a lot of gaps there as well and probably not worth the $650k (NZ$) they are asking. Plus storage would be a nightmare and I am worried about toning on those old pages that look acidopherous.
It is an intriguing lot though. At any one time, I would not have thought there were too many $500k plus collections floating around for sale. It does beg the question of how you actually value beasts such as this? It has been around on EBay (and presumably more widely advertised that that) for a number of months, so clearly not in the "must snap this one up" basket by those in the know and with the resources. I would have thought the real value (from an investment sense) for such a collection would be in the $10k+ stamps and sets rather then the $1k+ as they refer to in the ad.

So how do you go valuing these very large collections (just in case a lazy $500k comes my way :wink: )?
I know one dealer here in London who, when buying at auction, simply looks at how many albums there are, checks to see how full they are and what sort of condition the stamps are in, and then values the collection at a flat £10, £20, £50 per album.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Huckle wrote:
It does say in the EBay listing that "We have been instructed to sell this estate intact as received!", so maybe there is some emotional attachment preventing whoever from breaking it up.
And the Moon is made of green cheese. :mrgreen:

The seller KNOWS they will never get $475,000 breaking it down, so are trying to suck in a cash rich Bunny who dreams of owning 270 albums and will pay a silly sum for that.

Just one Bunny seeing it, and done deal. :idea:
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
thecloudwatcher

Post by thecloudwatcher »

Paulbar wrote:Nothing near the value here they want - no early Canada even - just wallpaper - average quality of Jubs fine at best no mention of gum or hinging status all which hugely affect value

I can't understand why collectors try to collect the entire world. There is no way to put together a decent worldwide collection unless you are Tapling or King George V or Ferrari with millions.

Better to specialize and collect only the best within that specialty in my opinion
Because it's fun, challenging and you'll never run out of stamps to collect.
Finchley Chris
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Finchley Chris »

fromdownunder wrote:
Paulbar wrote:I can't understand why collectors try to collect the entire world.

Let me add to my earlier post. I spent $70 on the (mostly) African lot I have been working on for several days. That was three days of fun. I go to a Movie, and when in Gold Class, with a meal and drinks that is 2 Hours at about the same cost.

Three days of entertainment for $70 doing something I enjoy? Priceless. As far as "returns" on my "investment" I will be comfortably dead, and frankly my dear, I will not give a damn

Norm
Well said. I agree entirely. :)
danski99

Post by danski99 »

thecloudwatcher wrote:
Paulbar wrote:Nothing near the value here they want - no early Canada even - just wallpaper - average quality of Jubs fine at best no mention of gum or hinging status all which hugely affect value

Because it's fun, challenging and you'll never run out of stamps to collect.

Though any "world collector" who acquired this lot would basically be depriving themselves of all that fun with a ready-made collection... while also depriving themselves of spending several hundred grand on a modest country estate/Carribbean beach retreat/a four-month bender living on nothing but rare malt whisky, beluga caviar, and truffles
kuikka

Post by kuikka »

I also agree with Norm and thecloudwatcher. Endless low cost fun.

Kimmo
figmente

Post by figmente »

thecloudwatcher wrote:
I know one dealer here in London who, when buying at auction, simply looks at how many albums there are, checks to see how full they are and what sort of condition the stamps are in, and then values the collection at a flat £10, £20, £50 per album.
Looks to be better than a £50 per album collection, but the asking price is $1760 per album.

I can't value such a collection, but Glen's comments and estimate seem spot on to me.

The seller has responded here on occasion.
Paulbar

Post by Paulbar »

I realize some collectors like to collect kiloware world wide material to do a world wide collection and to each his own and of course if its fun and brings joy more power to these collectors.

I get my fun by collecting Canada 1851-1971 in the best quality I can find and with as many truly rare pieces as I can find and afford at the time. I do care that what I am collecting will be worth something in the end even if I am dead.
If I see an item that I have never seen before - that's a challenge for me to own, and in the chase I find the rush.

Adding it to my collection is gratifying as I now own it, and have taken the baton of ownership from the previous owner to my collection and care while I am alive. Then no doubt the day will come that my collection is passed onto to the next generation of collectors who then assume the duty of care. My goal is to preserve the treasure while in my care, and to pass it along to the next collector in the best possible condition, just like the collectors who cared for it in the past allowing its survival to today.

If I collected world wide with no thought to rarity or condition there would not be this feeling of passing along philatelic treasures and this aspect of enjoyment for me would be missing.

But again each to his own, I greatly respect all collectors and their preferences in collecting. The key is to have fun, not how you achieve that philatelic enjoyment.
PaulBar
Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Huckle wrote:Out of interest, I had a look in a bit more detail regarding this EBay seller "NobleSpirit". They claim to have a 50 year history but moved to be an EBay exclusive seller at some stage. They also appear to be a bit of a pin up success story for using EBay as a sales medium, with a number of articles written about their business approach by others.

This is not the only major collection they have listed at the moment. A couple more examples as follows:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NobleSpirit-1-2-Million-Dollar-500-0 ... 1012695702? (NobleSpirit~ $1/2 Million Dollar ($500,000) WORLD RARITIES Investment Portfolio!)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NobleSpirit-BOH-ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME-4 ... 1119398187? (NobleSpirit~(BOH) ONCE IN A LIFETIME $400,000 GEM MINT US SPECIALIZED COLLECTION)

It's good to know you have a range of options for your lazy $100ks. :wink:

BTW, thanks for all the comments about how to value these things. Sounds like there are a lot more reasons not to invest than to jump in. Devil would be in the detail and you'd want to know key values rather than take a lucky dip approach.

I have to say that American collection is pretty special for a 5 volume one. Lots of nice earlies and rarities and the revenue section will blow you away, the UHM Columbian set is just one of the attractions. It may actually be worth the asking price (Of course assuming all the stamps are real and not full of forgeries :evil: ).

The investment portfolio looks dodgy though, it has 2 x 5/- NZ Mt Cooks that both are badly used fiscals worth about $20 a piece, which they have listed at $550 each! :lol: The rest of the stamps shown include some rarities, but a lot of patchier and more scarce rather than rare stamps (In the $50 - $100 variety rather than $1,000 - $10,000 variety). I did not see enough there to justify the $175k asking price, in fact I would lop off 2 zeroes.

I have a feeling this is a boutique rip off company that appeals to over rich people with money to spend on anything.
figmente

Post by figmente »

I notice that that impressive American collection includes the high value Department of State facsimiles
aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Princestamps wrote:The investment portfolio looks dodgy though, it has 2 x 5/- NZ Mt Cooks that both are badly used fiscals worth about $20 a piece, which they have listed at $550 each! :lol: The rest of the stamps shown include some rarities, but a lot of patchier and more scarce rather than rare stamps (In the $50 - $100 variety rather than $1,000 - $10,000 variety). I did not see enough there to justify the $175k asking price, in fact I would lop off 2 zeroes.
Lop off 1 zero for sure, but 2? That would take it down to $1,750, that seems rather low given that there's a £1 PUC in there for instance. The fact that the 5/- Mt Cooks are only worth $20 each, not $550, does show one would need to evaluate carefully and not trust all the dollar figures shown.

It's really such a mish-mash of everything in there; if the stated cat. value is $500,000, then adjusting for the things that aren't worth what they're stated to be worth, and condition issues that might exist, and it would take time to sell off the parts you don't want, or dispose of the whole thing if you were to buy-to-resell, the price is on the high side.
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.
jimwentzell
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by jimwentzell »

I cannot imagine anyone seriously interested in such a massive collection not investing a bit in the cost of a plane ticket and a cursory in-person inspection, or at least utilizing the services of a well-established, trusted auction agent.

=========================================================

Having glanced at the 270-volume collection, and also having "won" a few small lots over the years from this seller (my winning bid prices ranged from $20 to $125) I can generalize that one can find items well worth the usually low low starting price, but mostly this seller's lots are way overbid and 98% of my low-ball bids (sniped) never are even close to the "winning" bids.

This is a seller whose lots I often bid on--when it contains some obscure stamp or set someone may have missed which I would pay close to my highest bid for the entire lot. In other words paying close to retail price for a hidden gem but getting the rest for free. The seller also mentions they combine for shipping, which doesn't really make up for the ridiculous shipping charges, unless you "win" a lot of lots. I suspect the seller, like true auction houses, make a substantial part of their profit from shipping/handling fees.

Winning lots from this and similar sellers leaves me with a lot of picked-over lots/collections that I often barely break even selling at our local stamp clubs or collector-friends who enjoy picking through my "floor sweepings".

So making money on these type collections I and others buy is never an intention, but an afterthought after feeding a collector's need for the philatelic hunt.

Earlier in this thread Norm aka fromdownunder paraphrases my feelings exactly:

"Three days of entertainment for $70 doing something I enjoy? Priceless. As far as "returns" on my "investment" I will be comfortably dead, and frankly my dear, I will not give a damn"

That's what differentiates a collector from a dealer-wannabe. I am the former, and I have no illusions!
--Jim in Georgia always interested in postal history, covers & cards (no FDC)
B u y - s e l l - t r a d e .................................... e - m a i l .. m e !
Rod Perry

Post by Rod Perry »

The you beaut "$1/2 Million Dollar ($500,000) WORLD RARITIES Investment Portfolio!" has the appearance of having been assembled from purchases in a "Mail Bid Sale".

An investment it would be . . . a very poor investment.

Rod
Preserve DNA - retain covers intact. Scientists may be grateful!
Commercial covers represent “Stamps in Action”: Philately’s last Great Frontier
DarrenK

Post by DarrenK »

I've purchased collections over the years from them as well and I would agree with Jimwentzell. Expensive shipping to Australia and some have been very light on quality. One German collection I did buy had the "eyes" removed and virtually all the stamps were hinged even though they were all in mounts. You realise that you always need to assume the worse and if you find MUH material, it's a bonus.

Another thing that I have found is a rarer perf or watermark stamp is located in an album where it should be but it turns out to be the cheaper version. I have twice arranged considerably discounts with other sellers after finding these.

I have purchased some fantastic bargains over the years to so on the whole its not bad.

Yep, it's Ebay.........what do you expect! Hey, you can always hope.
Always interested in trading German material especially post war period.
passport_collect

Post by passport_collect »

I could do with some shelves like that.
Cill Dara

Post by Cill Dara »

fromdownunder wrote:

Norm
Three cheers for Norm. :D :D :D

Worldwide collecting is Fun and stamp collecting is ment to be Fun.

I also need lots more shelves, WW collections breed like rabbits. :wink:
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

passport_collect wrote:I could do with some shelves like that.
And do go with the Buckram Leather albums too, if you can. :)

https://www.glenstephens.com/snjanuary15.html
Some of KGV’s Stamp albums.
A few of the 100s of King George V slipcased, Morocco Leather Bound stamp Albums!

The KGV stamp collection is immense, and housed in large RED, numbered, Buckram Leather albums. The KGVI reign stamps are in similar BLUE albums, and the QE2 era Collection are in GREEN. All outlined in detail in the book.

Many HUNDREDS of Albums.

A small section of the KGV collection alone is illustrated nearby. There are a HUNDRED huge slip-cased leather albums shown there alone. Imagine the countless MILLIONS of dollars of stamps housed inside!

On one row, not even the lowest one, I can see numbered volumes up to 222, so my guess is we are talking over 300 Red albums alone.

KGVI did not appear to have much interest in stamps, and my feeling is that QE2 has more connection with them.

====

Photos taken from the official book on the Royal Stamp Collection - the Superb Hard Cover Book “The Queen’s Stamps” -

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=61369
Paulbar

Post by Paulbar »

Thanks for the tip on the Buckram leather albums. They look just like the George V albums. Nice classic look a lot better than the polyvinyl Lighthouse albums.
PaulBar
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Paulbar wrote:
Thanks for the tip on the Buckram leather albums. They look just like the George V albums.
Possibly because they ARE KGV's stamp albums. :mrgreen:
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Rod Perry wrote:The you beaut "$1/2 Million Dollar ($500,000) WORLD RARITIES Investment Portfolio!" has the appearance of having been assembled from purchases in a "Mail Bid Sale".

Rod
But Rod, he is only asking one third Scott or $US1000 for 'rarities' like these .... $US3,200 cat -- retail $3.20 on a good day the pair!
warm
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by warm »

Global Administrator wrote:
Rod Perry wrote:The you beaut "$1/2 Million Dollar ($500,000) WORLD RARITIES Investment Portfolio!" has the appearance of having been assembled from purchases in a "Mail Bid Sale".

Rod
But Rod, he is only asking one third Scott or $US1000 for 'rarities' like these .... $US3,200 cat -- retail $3.20 on a good day the pair!
Isn't this the very rare rhomboidal printing on the right …

Very undercatalogued !!
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

It's from an old Zimbabwe $ dealers hoard. They contained the very rare perforated imperforates.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
Tassie_Stamps

Post by Tassie_Stamps »

Allanswood wrote:It's from an old Zimbabwe $ dealers hoard.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Oh lawd, the 1898 5/- Mt Cooks were not the only overpriced stamp in that lot.

3 weeks later and this thing is still unsold. They need a "Noble spirit" or 6 to cope with this items unsellability :lol:

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”