Gary Diffen to sell his Australian Colonies at Spink

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

towradji
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Gary Diffen to sell his Australian Colonies at Spink

Post by towradji »

I see that Spink in the UK is auctioning the Australian Colonies errors collection of Melbourne based collector Gary Diffen in May.

Not my area of expertise but it could be a good sale. Interesting to note that it has not been consigned to a local auction house.

Spink is auctioning the “Dubois” collection this month. Anyone who know who “Dubois” is? Some excellent material is included.

W5LDY
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Re: Gary Diffen to sell his Australian Colonies at Spink

Post by W5LDY »

Printed catalogue for the NSW, Queensland and South Australia section arrived yesterday with the auction going ahead behind closed doors.

Profusely illustrated with many scarce, rare and unique pieces. Will be a very interesting sale.

The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by The Pom »

pdf of the catalogue can be downloaded here:

https://www.spink.com/auction/20030
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.

bazza4338
100 Thousand Club - Addicted Stamp Poster!
100 Thousand Club - Addicted Stamp Poster!

Post by bazza4338 »

towradji wrote: Spink is auctioning the “Dubois” collection this month. Anyone who know who “Dubois” is? Some excellent material is included.
https://www.whoi.edu/news-insights/content/going-postal-davi ... postmarks/

David DuBois is senior distribution assistant in the Facilities department at WHOI.(Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution) He began his WHOI career in the summer of 1981 while living in a campground in nearby Sippewissett, and has since worked in various departments, from Biology to Geology & Geophysics and Computer & Information Services. He has served as a shipboard scientific services technician on the R/V Atlantis, seeing many launches and recoveries of the Alvin submersible. An avid stamp collector, David has been involved with three Pictorial Postmarks for WHOI over the years.

EDIT

I picked to wrong Du Bois :oops:
Last edited by bazza4338 on 16 Apr 2020 13:29, edited 1 time in total.

32_seeker
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by 32_seeker »

I thought "Dubois" material was from the estate of Hugh Wood. If I am mistaken, someone please correct me.

towradji

Post by towradji »

I agree, subsequent to the post an eminent member of the trade advised me it was Hugh Woods collection.

I thought the Norfolk Island results were a bargain for the astute buyer.

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

Ransom musing.

Do collectors marketing their collection under some sort of assumed name expect to have their identity kept anonymous?
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

They are total fools if they do. Hugh Wood is a bidder magnet name.

Bigger fools to give anything philatelic to Spink.

That appalling to use website, totally confused and misleading and contradictory terms of sale and commissions and VAT payable on it all, and crappy scans, says it all. 2 trained chimps would do a better job of it IMHO.

If Spink were the last Stamp Auction on this planet I'd not consign or bid. Clueless and lazy.

As Arthur Gray's Estate found to their financial pain, as two ELITE Auction outfits here, and in the USA, handled the earlier Gray material to get amazing world RECORD prices, and global publicity. Spink in contrast, gave the later material away, as they kept the sales as an MI5 level State Secret, to the cucumber sandwiches and Campari set. :roll: :roll:

capetriangle
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by capetriangle »

The Pom wrote:Ransom musing.

Do collectors marketing their collection under some sort of assumed name expect to have their identity kept anonymous?
Certainly they do.

A prime example, I am still waiting to hear who "Besançon" was, especially after spending a king's ransom in the sales. I had heard that the individual was somehat connected with the city of Besançon in eastern France in addition to have been a major client of one of the bespoke London dealers, but that is as much as I know.

Kindest regards

Richard

RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by 22028 »

Global Administrator wrote:They are total fools if they do. Hugh Wood is a bidder magnet name.

Bigger fools to give anything philatelic to Spink.

That appalling to use website, totally confused and misleading and contradictory terms of sale and commissions and VAT payable on it all, and crappy scans, says it all. 2 trained chimps would do a better job of it IMHO.

If Spink were the last Stamp Auction on this planet I'd not consign or bid. Clueless and lazy.

As Arthur Gray's Estate found to their financial pain, as two ELITE Auction outfits here, and in the USA, handled the earlier Gray material to get amazing world RECORD prices, and global publicity. Spink in contrast, gave the later material away, as they kept the sales as an MI5 level State Secret, to the cucumber sandwiches and Campari set. :roll: :roll:
We now meanwhile that you are not a fried of Spink and will never be a friend of them.
This was the subject of several discussions here. If the prices realised were low this means the market for Australian Material of this calibre is not the best and maybe the seller was not very happy but at least the buyers were...
Again, and this was told you by several members here, if the prices realised were low, why you did not bid and purchased the material and made a fortune with reselling it?
I have no problem with Spink, nor with their auctions site..., if you wish, i can give you the email of Olivier Stocker in Singapore and you can complain there..., i had a nice discussion with his wife and him at the closing dinner in Monaco last year...
Collecting Interests: Tibet, Nepal-Classic Issues, Iran-First Issue (Lion stamps), Iraq-Railway stamps 1928-1942, Overland Mail Baghdad - Haifa, SCADTA, the provisional Registration stamps issue 1921, Colombia, the private carrier stamps.

W5LDY

Post by W5LDY »

Auction in progress now, New South Wales selling in the main but some higher ticket items remaining unsold.

Underbidder on a few items but nothing bought yet.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

22028 wrote: Again, and this was told you by several members here, if the prices realised were low, why you did not bid, and purchase the material and made a fortune with reselling it?
I am very successful after 40+ years of stamp dealing, and do not NEED to deal with lazy sods if I choose not to.

Spink are lazy sods in MY view, from all past observations, and I refuse to give them a 20% Buyer Fee reward, and then dealing with their brain numbing bureaucracy, and clunky website, with their totally contradictory and impossible to determine Taxes, and VAT and charges, for being lazy sods.

I do not **NEED** anything. I buy where I choose to, and buy plenty enough thanks very much, and make a VERY nice living, without the word SPINK being in the mix. :idea:

They can fund all the cucumber sandwiches, and Pimms and Campari in the staff room etc, from you other schmucks. :lol: :lol: :lol:

They spent near nothing publicising this sale HERE, the obvious market to promote it in, (to all except Spink!) to the general collecting market or magazines etc, indeed most would not have be aware the sale occurred, so that funds plenty of platters cucumber sandwiches for the Hooray Henrys. :roll: :roll:

More and more savvy collectors sell direct these days, dodging the 40% Buyer AND Seller and credit card fees these lazy sods remove from the value of YOUR stamps, and get their money same day, and not 6 or 12 months later.

You buy as much as you want there of course. I do not reward incompetence and mediocrity in life in ANY field - you can choose to do just that - it is a free world.

You too can choose to eat at terrible restaurants and drive shoddy cars etc - YOUR choice. I do not have to agree with mimicking those poor choices. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

W5LDY

Post by W5LDY »

Lot 253, the missing surcharge on the 4d blue used has just been knocked down at a hammer price of £40,000, making the invoice total somewhere north of £50,000.

towradji

Post by towradji »

Yes, the South Australia is very strong.

NSW and Queensland went reasonably.

The online auction coverage, descriptions and Spink Live bidding seems to be working well.

W5LDY

Post by W5LDY »

And I am lucky to have purchased a couple of items so far

towradji

Post by towradji »

Well done.

A few of the Spink Live bidders have spent serious money.

W5LDY

Post by W5LDY »

Interesting results overall, the catalogue values in SG will be revised very much upwards as a result of this sale especially in the South Australia officials section.

Purchased two lots, pleased to acquire some nice pieces.

For any interested parties there are a number of unsolds some of which must represent good value if a deal can be done.

W5LDY

Post by W5LDY »

As an aside to this, does anybody know if there are there any plans to publish the vast amount of research which went into the building of this collection and database?

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by norvic »

You're supposed to write and sell the book before you sell the collection, to make it even more attractive.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

norvic wrote:You're supposed to write and sell the book before you sell the collection, to make it even more attractive.
Bingo!

Rodney Perry, bless his savvy soul, did just that. Hardcover, with dust sleeve. Was his collection near entirely, so when he sold it for millions, all the describing was already done!

I still sell a half dozen copies each year. Decades on, as it is the BIBLE for the state. :)

Geoff Kellow the superb 'Stamps Of Victoria' Handbook $A150
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”