Impact of the virus on eBay trading

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

steevh
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Impact of the virus on eBay trading

Post by steevh »

Are other people thinking about how the virus might impact eBay trading?

On the plus side, I see lots of people staying home and having time to sort out their stamps and do some serious buying.

On the downside, if things get really bad there might be trouble with the post, people might get scared of catching it off packages, and a lot of collectors might be too busy fighting the virus to have any time for stamping. Especially as we have a generally older demographic.

Right now I'm seeing it as a plus, but the situation is evolving rapidly.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

HalfpennyYellow
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Re: Impact of the virus on eBay trading

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

I have mostly stopped making online purchases for the time being, unless there is something that I really like.

The main reason is the disruption caused by the number of cancelled flights, particularly between the US and the Schengen area, and flights to/from China. However, Malta has also suspended flights to or from several European countries - Germany, France, Spain, Switzerland and obviously Italy - so even mail from Europe might not arrive or be delayed for quite some time.
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

And what effect does Covid-19 have on AIRMAIL services? Well heaps of course.

Since Trump banned near all commercial aircraft between USA and Europe - and now Ardern in NZ today - who are the ones who carry near all mail from Postal Services globally, the established systems will be in a total mess.

Few planes = little mail. (China has been fumigating all mail from Hubei in recent months.)

So mail that took a week might take a month. For eBay sellers, that triggers not received reports, and auto PayPal refunds.

The buyer is ALWAYS right on ebay.

Happy Days.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Post by 22028 »

I expect two registered items from USA to Germany..., one apparently has been meanwhile arrived in Germany at the exchange office in Frankfurt, the second one is since a few days in Cincinnati..., lets hope and wait...
Collecting Interests: Tibet, Nepal-Classic Issues, Iran-First Issue (Lion stamps), Iraq-Railway stamps 1928-1942, Overland Mail Baghdad - Haifa, SCADTA, the provisional Registration stamps issue 1921, Colombia, the private carrier stamps.

sovanksahu
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by sovanksahu »

Global Administrator wrote: The buyer is ALWAYS right on ebay.
Not really, I was conned by a seller from Cuba recently.
Until I paid, numerous exchanges and even WhatsApp messages showing more Gandhi items to purchase.. and once I made payment, it was dead silence on the other side. After a month, I asked eBay to interfere and resolve, the seller responded saying the item shipment was delayed... its 4 months now, and I am still hoping my tin can mail will turn up.
eBay just care for their margin, they turn deaf when you ask for a resolution and even automatically close the request after 2 weeks. Pathetic lot
“Persistence. Perfection. Patience. Power. Prioritize your passion. It keeps you sane.” ― Criss Jami
I collect Aerophilately, Indian personalities on foreign stamps and exchange on the themes Moon Landing, Gastronomy, Flags, Odd shaped stamps and Joint issues

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Contact PayPal .. you get no goods - he gets no money. Simple.

The Buyer is ALWAYS right.

You have 6 months to make a claim
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Rog

Post by Rog »

I decided to stop buying things for the moment, I think it's better to be safe than sorry.
My Stamp Blog : The Stamp Book

beerwagen

Post by beerwagen »

It is time to buy when nobody is buying.
British Commonwealth philately - Aden to Zululand

Post by 22028 »

I buy, but may ask the seller to hold shipment until the situation is clearer..., but, I also would love if other bidders on lots I am interested will stop buying...
Collecting Interests: Tibet, Nepal-Classic Issues, Iran-First Issue (Lion stamps), Iraq-Railway stamps 1928-1942, Overland Mail Baghdad - Haifa, SCADTA, the provisional Registration stamps issue 1921, Colombia, the private carrier stamps.

steevh

Post by steevh »

A good time to buy is when its a bad time to sell.

joford-63

Post by joford-63 »

My Ebay sales slowed down a few weeks ago then dropped to virtually nil last week.

If only I was selling toilet paper!

Jo

erich
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by erich »

I'm not listing anything until things calm down a bit.

steevh

Post by steevh »

It just occurred to me I had better stock up on packing supplies for any orders.

Even if I don't list anything new, I still have plenty of BINs running, and stationery stores will be shut if we go the same way as Italy in 2 weeks' time.

ViccyVFU
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by ViccyVFU »

steevh wrote:People might get scared of catching it off packages
The press have rolled out a lot of old housewives (sorry, ladies) tales about how you might catch it "in the most unlikely of circumstances".

Not one reported case of mail being the source yet, and that's because of ... well, the science.

The virus, outside a host, only lives a couple of days.

Meaning that unless someone in your country posted you an item first class, licked the envelope, and you had skin defects when opening it, you are extremely unlikely to catch anything that way.

If in doubt - receive the letter, don't open it for a couple of days, and use a letter opener and gloves. Wipedown all surface, afterwards.

Wuhan "decontamination" is a PR stunt only - if it was in saliva, and inside sealed gum layers, the decontaminants wouldn't reach it ...... its mostly for public reassurance. (They might as well spray it with "anti elephant dust" :D ).

You are infinitely more likely to catch it from "the keypad of a cashpoint machine", or "a public toilet handle".

I've noticed people at public auctions wearing latex gloves, and hand washing after viewing .... (which is always sensible precaution anyway, for some of the lots I handle!!).

Alcohol (min 70%) wipes are good - I have a small handspray of isopropyl alcohol with me at all times (and anyone who asks gets their hands sprayed).

This week, there was an announcement at the auction because someone kept nicking the handsoap ... despite the fact we are reporting no particular shortages anywhere (We are restricted to buying a maximum of three in each shopping visit, but hey "they really should not have to say that").

Generally, I'm not shipping abroad, other than to known agents, that offer it on eBay in their own territory. When buying, just act sensibly, but no special handling is required (unless you spot the first point situation, above).

If you do source from other countries, think how much you really want it, and ask for proof of dispatch (an image of the envelope, or PO receipt is good). I've never been turned down for a request like that (inbound or outbound - no big deal).

I always go "to the last five days" before picking the refund options ... its surprising, even in "normal times", how some packages / shapes "just take too long".

More people will have more "free time", but I suspect many will turn their hand to "anything that pays the mortgage" rather than find more time for stamps. The elderly might, but I do expect "a net increase in listings, with some real bargains to be had, mainly from poor descriptions". (Obviously, this has a downside :( ).

This virus will, unfortunately, kill a heavier percentage of "our demographic" than most, so I also expect to see further volume increase, both in ebay, and in the more traditional auction houses, possibly for a couple of years, as it works through.

My game plan would be to "continue to seek out the best material at bargain prices", but not drop my standards one jot "just because we are awash with bargains in other fields".

Now, wash your hands !! Stay safe.

KGVIStamps
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by KGVIStamps »

I like to peruse the ebay listings for U.S. based sellers of British Colonies each day. Today I noticed that NYStamps lots are marked:
"This seller is currently away until Apr 15, 2020. If you make a purchase, there may be a delay in processing your order."
I imagine after the current listings clear that we won't be seeing any of their lots until mid-April. They post a huge number of items each week, so there will be a lot less for sale this coming month.
Has anyone else noticed any missing regular sellers?
Learn more about your stamps at http://www.KGVIStamps.com.

gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

beerwagen wrote:It is time to buy when nobody is buying.
...is the correct answer. :idea:

steevh

Post by steevh »

My eBay auction sales seemed off on Sunday.

I'm not sure what the cause was, but I think I have a good idea: People were out panic-buying.
When I went to Tesco on Monday morning it looked like it had been ransacked by looters.

Of course, it didn't help that earlier in the weekend the UK Health Minister, Matt Hancock, had warned that the elderly would be required to self-isolate for the next 4 months.

How did he expect people to react?

pcbiss
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by pcbiss »

Was pondering if a was to lick gummed stamp/s stick on my ebay parcel being sent to the winning bidder, sent it (the parcel) via express post, it then arrives to you the purchaser in less that 24 hours.

You then soak these stamps off, what are the chances of contracting the virus, scarey when one thinks how easy this could be spread ....... just a thought, what do the rest of you think???? :roll:

Spartacus
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Spartacus »

It does seem to have a great impact on the postal services.
I have not received any item from eBay for over two months now. This is largely due to a postal strike here in Greece and the Coronavirus has complicated the situation further.
According to the news media, many items and parcels have arrived but there's nobody to deliver the goods.
Many government departments have closed or work using skeleton staff so this does make things worse.
We have to be patient and hope that after a certain period if time all will be back to normal.

Cheers.
Be like a postage stamp. Stick to one thing until you get there.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

pcbiss wrote:Was pondering if a was to lick gummed stamp/s stick on my ebay parcel being sent to the winning bidder, sent it (the parcel) via express post, it then arrives to you the purchaser in less that 24 hours.

You then soak these stamps off, what are the chances of contracting the virus, scarey when one thinks how easy this could be spread ....... just a thought, what do the rest of you think???? :roll:
Only an ebayer could come up with this. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

pcbiss wrote:Was pondering if a was to lick gummed stamp/s stick on my ebay parcel being sent to the winning bidder, sent it (the parcel) via express post, it then arrives to you the purchaser in less that 24 hours.

ViccyVFU wrote:Not one reported case of mail being the source yet, and that's because of ... well, the science.

The virus, outside a host, only lives a couple of days.

Meaning that unless someone in your country posted you an item first class, licked the envelope, and you had skin defects when opening it, you are extremely unlikely to catch anything that way.

If in doubt - receive the letter, don't open it for a couple of days, and use a letter opener and gloves. Wipedown all surface, afterwards.
Given how rare it is to see a stamp on a package nowadays, at least you'd die happy!!

In your scenario, "stop paying for express delivery .... it could kill you" :mrgreen: .

Statistically, you should be more concerned about fatal bee stings.

joford-63

Post by joford-63 »

Seriously? You hsve to be kidding, right? The chances of any parcel being delivered within 24 hours are very slim (at least in Australia).

To be on the safe side, don't kiss your postman! "Practise safe social distancing".

Jo

joford-63

Post by joford-63 »

joford-63 wrote:

Seriously? You hsve to be kidding, right? The chances of any parcel being delivered within 24 hours are very slim (at least in Australia).

To be on the safe side, don't kiss your postman! "Practise safe social distancing".

Jo
And the chances of me actually selling anything on eBay at the moment seem to be even slimmer.

Not even making a sale a day at the moment. Oh well, people have been hit with drought then bushfires then floods and now this. I thank my lucky stars that my family and friends are all safe.

Jo

steevh

Post by steevh »

Of rather more concern than the risk of getting the virus off a stamp:

In Paris, under the lockdown anyone who wants to go out has to fill in an online form (and then print it out) to demonstrate that their trip is justified eg they need to buy some essential food.

I'm guessing this would not include a trip down to the PO to post eBay parcels.

But I expect postal services are going to be impacted in any case. A cousin who works in the PO in Australia just posted his concerns that large sorting rooms with 100+ employees might be a perfect place for large-scale transmission.

POP

Post by POP »

joford-63 wrote:My Ebay sales slowed down a few weeks ago then dropped to virtually nil last week.

Jo

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-3ply-tiolet-roll-brand-new-has ... Sw8AJecVOh

joford-63

Post by joford-63 »

POP wrote:
joford-63 wrote:My Ebay sales slowed down a few weeks ago then dropped to virtually nil last week.

Jo

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-3ply-tiolet-roll-brand-new-has ... Sw8AJecVOh
OMG! At $300 a roll, you'd need to be pooping gold!

Jo

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

A member here had loo rolls listed at $50 START price this week.

The Bunnies of course were bidding it up and ebay pulled the sale totally.

As the PM says - this predatory stuff is just un-Australian. :roll: :roll: :roll:

gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

Have you ever been to a stamp fair?

You know, the ones where many of the customers only change their clothes on the first day of spring (whether they need to or not)?

Have you ever pondered what you might catch from rubbing shoulders with them? From sitting on the chair they've just vacated? From handling the display book they've just been looking at? From rummaging through the box of covers they've just been rummaging through?

The chances of catching this particular virus from the bit of slobber that oozed out from under this particular stamp on this particular cover on the day-after-the-day it was posted must be absolutely negligible.

But, if you do contract it in that way, please let me know. I'll invest Mrs-H's life-savings in lottery tickets that day... :roll:

numisphil

Post by numisphil »

Was pondering if a was to lick gummed stamp/s stick on my ebay parcel being sent to the winning bidder, sent it (the parcel) via express post, it then arrives to you the purchaser in less that 24 hours.
The chances of the parcel arriving within 24 hours are negligible to zero
The chances of the parcel having stamps are negligible. Most likely will be a satchel
you then soak these stamps off
Don't
what are the chances of contracting the virus
wash your hands after handling

joford-63

Post by joford-63 »

Surely any responsible seller would not lick any stamps/handle any packages if they suspected there was a chance they had the virus.

Jo

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

joford-63 wrote:Surely any responsible seller ......
And where would eBay find one of them ? :D

You should understand that a person may have the virus for up to around 15 days before any symptoms present, and they can shed viable infection "a couple of days before they even realise they are infected".

Its still a negligible risk, though.
Post people are still handling packages "without gloves".

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

ViccyVFU wrote: Post people are still handling packages "without gloves".
Not here at Glen Stephens Rare Stamps Inc. No Sirrreeee. :idea: :idea: :idea:

All my 200 staff all wear these. Darn annoying for toilet breaks, but that is the current dire situation we are in.
We also spray all letters and parcels with Lab Grade Disinfectant, and also to be double safe, a general purpose Herbicide and algaecide. Not only will it kill this virus, but it ensures no rust or foxing is present ether. :idea: :idea:

MUH stamps have not been responding well to this last bit sadly, and all orders consequently stuck to black stock cards is at your total risk - this ''crisis'' is not of MY making!

All mail is taken to PO in vans with sealed doors, which have been fumigated before each journey. Driving in those green suits is also a challenge, but we strive to met and exceed all current and future Federal Laws and guidelines. :mrgreen:

Glen

erich

Post by erich »

Good time to buy stamps from Australia. The A$ has taken a bath and is US$0.58...

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

... assuming of course that they will be delivered at some point in the future, but don't hold your breath waiting.

Norm
Geelong, VFA Premiers 1878, 1879, 1800, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1886, AFL Premiers 1925, 1931, 1937, 1951, 1952, 1963, 2007, 2009, 2011, .

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

erich wrote:Good time to buy stamps from Australia. The A$ has taken a bath and is US$0.58...
Was lower still yesterday. Has sunk like a stone in the past week.

A US member here was looking at a $A4,000 Postage Due today .... I worked out buying it now saved him $US300 over buying it last week - same stamp, same AUD price. True. :mrgreen:

erich

Post by erich »

I'm expecting international shipping to take a while.

towradji
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by towradji »

Yes, will make selling via ebay into North America a bit tricky. Their legendary impatience could see more refunds for non delivery than usual.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

When I checked Friday the ONLY fight Aust/USA was a single United flight to SFO ... every other carrier had cancelled and that one UA one is likely to go.

Qantas and Virgin have cancelled EVERY flight, as has Delta, and Air Canada to YVR is about to go. .

USPS and AP mail goes via commercial carriers so "airmail'' is going to be a DISASTER for next 3 months. As Towadji outlines, most Americans expect deliveries Yesterday if not sooner - so there will be endless ''goods not received'' claims. Many genuine - and 1000s false. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Global Administrator wrote:USPS and AP mail goes via commercial carriers so "airmail'' is going to be a DISASTER for next 3 months. As Towadji outlines, most Americans expect deliveries Yesterday if not sooner - so there will be endless ''goods not received'' claims. Many genuine - and 1000s false. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I can't even pretend to know the numbers, and the profit/loss scenarios, but surely keeping one or so flights per week going purely for international mail and parcels from and to anywhere is potentially an achievable economic activity, even if it requires Government subsidies (given that there seem to be plenty of these going around at the moment).

It will keep some small businesses and small on line retailers functioning, using a special definition of the word "function", and surely cannot do a whole lot of harm, or result in any potential disease transmission.

I might be stupid, but to me it seems to be a very low risk no brainer.

Norm
Geelong, VFA Premiers 1878, 1879, 1800, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1886, AFL Premiers 1925, 1931, 1937, 1951, 1952, 1963, 2007, 2009, 2011, .

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Norm to strip out existing galleys, loos and seats, the complex electronics of modern IFE, and interiors and floor coverings, and then add container freight tracks and swivel points, complex hydraulics, reinforced floors to carry that weight, and heavy duty anchors is a one off cost of MEGGGGGGGA millions a plane. And takes much time to do. And the same cost to undo it all. All for just a couple months freight.

There are of course dedicated freighter jets out there, designed for 100% container hauling, but they'll be booked solid I can bet. :idea:

David Benson

Post by David Benson »

Google, see

Australia Post Coronavitus for latest deilvery details.

I wonder if going to the Post Office to post Ebay sales considered essential travel,

David B

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

David Benson wrote:I wonder if going to the Post Office to post Ebay sales considered essential travel
As long as there is something worthwhile in the package, you'll be fine.
Customs declarations should state "Unprinted PSE Certificates", to discourage looting en-route .... but as printing would actually make the paper less valuable, you can used these "graded, clean certificates" without PSE involvement at all. :D

RobRoyH

Post by RobRoyH »

I see an embossed security pattern so obviously not PSE.
"You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace… before I dip the pen in the ink."
G. K. Chesterton

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Does it have a PSE NUMBBAHHHHHH GRADE???? I am not buying this nonsense.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mint-Loo-Roll-comes-with-Used-18 ... 4671425636

Not sure which of these items is scarcer but up for grabs is an Unused Mint Loo Roll Andrex Deluxe Quilted *VERY RARE!!!** and comes with a four margin Used 1840 1d Black Plate 6 (FH) red Maltese Cross but does have a thin to back - good luck. This could be the last Roll you see on offer. PS I've plenty of Penny Blacks if we do run out!!

A member of the Philatelic Traders' Society (PTS). We do our best to be accurate with descriptions, noting faults and giving a straight forward presentation of the items for sale. We care what you think and welcome comments and feedback about our service and items so we can improve customer satisfaction. We aim to package and dispatch items the same day, or within 1 working day (excluding Saturday and Sunday) if payment is made before 2.30pm. However, if a purchase does not meet your expectation for any reason we would welcome the opportunity to address the issues and are more than happy for items to be returned for a full refund.

steevh

Post by steevh »

As well as the thin on the Penny Black, I'd be worried there might be some thins on that loo roll.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Well the thin is clearly illustrated and clearly described - unlike most amateur ebay sellers, Empire Philatelics are PTS members. And hence have professionalism, and a Code of Ethics to abide by.

Stuart is a very nice guy ... we did a large figure stock swap last week. Nice to see SOMEONE has a sense of humour this week!

Glen

DarrenK

Post by DarrenK »

My eBay sales have basically stopped. I was getting to the stage of selling 5 to 10 items a week and for the past 2 weeks I've only sold 1 item.

I've had discount offers from sellers to encourage me to buy but with the dollar so low the items have gone up a lot.

I don't know how slow the delivery will be to overseas but I've sent emails explaining that things will be slower than normal and to take that into account with expected delivery times.

Unexpected downturns and potentially unreliable income for many people close wallets. As others have said, often a good time to buy but with a low dollar that isn't so straight forward.
Always interested in trading German material especially post war period.

BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

I had an ebayer in England cancel my bids & his auctions early as the British Government's corona virus protocols did not allow him to get to the post office.
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

BigSaint wrote:I had an ebayer in England cancel my bids & his auctions early as the British Government's corona virus protocols did not allow him to get to the post office.
I think they may be mistaken.

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/coronavirus

"The vast majority of Post Offices are open. Many are located in convenience stores, newsagents or stand-alone branches that are allowed to be open by the government. Customers are able to get cash, deposit cheques, pay bills as well as send and collect parcels. These are vital services, particularly for many vulnerable customers."

The debate is perhaps not whether or not they should be allowed to visit a PO, but whether or not they should be visiting a PO for what might be deemed "non-essential" mailings.
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.

pertinax
Author - 'Best Thread Of All Time' as voted by our members
Author - 'Best Thread Of All Time' as voted by our members

Post by pertinax »

Global Administrator wrote:Well the thin is clearly illustrated and clearly described - unlike most amateur ebay sellers, Empire Philatelics are PTS members. And hence have professionalism, and a Code of Ethics to abide by.

Stuart is a very nice guy ... we did a large figure stock swap last week. Nice to see SOMEONE has a sense of humour this week!

Glen
Different dealer, Glen.

Empire Collectables is who has the 1d black/bog roll listing - a different firm to Empire Philatelists.

Scott
vincit omnia pertinax virtus

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”