Impact of the virus on eBay trading

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Impact of the virus on eBay trading

Post by Global Administrator »

A million words in the English Language and these pommies choose the same one to trade under!
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

mikotz
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by mikotz »

I just put further ebay purchases on hold. My order sent from Belgium on Mar. 6 and Mar. 12 arrived yesterday, which actually took less time than before. I am waiting for another one sent on Mar. 16, hopefully it will show up finally.

I got a couple of watched items on Ebay, mostly with starting bid below $50, and recently they got sold at starting bid or slightly higher. It is a sign that under all the uncertainties some people would not pursue this hobby with the enthusiasm before, as to keep cash for future needs could be a better and safer idea.

As economic recess is just around the corner, stamps, same as other hobbies, will face new challenges. However I agree many more bargains can be found on ebay in the next couple of days, but only for people with a good cash flow and don't worry about bread next week.

stevel
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by stevel »

Hi, just to confirm that some Post Offices in the UK have limited opening hours.

My local P.O. in Penistone near Sheffield is only open from 9am until 12.30pm.

It wasn't updated on the web, and a few days ago I ended up arriving when it was closed.

I'll venture out again when I have some essential shopping to do :)

Stay safe everyone!

Steve
'Philately will get you everywhere!'

borsac

Post by borsac »

Global Administrator wrote:
So mail that took a week might take a month. For eBay sellers, that triggers not received reports, and auto PayPal refunds.

The buyer is ALWAYS right on ebay.

Happy Days.
Sadly true. I've got a few items "in the wind" at the moment.

Even domestic has been slow. Such is life.

I'm still making some OK sales but I deal mainly in ephemera, postcards, militaria, old photography and tribal stuff.

I think you have to be right on watching the market trends and constantly tweaking your price point.

I'm of the inclination that when the inevitable lockdown happens people stuck at home will start paying a lot more attention to their collections and decor and with brick and mortar retail premises and auction rooms shut they'll start buying a lot more online.

On side note before this I found about one in ten of the items I sent to China buyers went "AWOL" and eBay sided with them every single time. So I stopped dealing with them. EDIT: China that is - not eBay
Last edited by Global Administrator on 27 Mar 2020 09:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards!

Parisboy
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Parisboy »

I've stopped buying for now until my future job situation becomes certain. Looks like we will be made to take unpaid leave for a while. I guess many of us still of working age will be in the same boat.

Chris.

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by norvic »

stevel wrote:Hi, just to confirm that some Post Offices in the UK have limited opening hours.

My local P.O. in Penistone near Sheffield is only open from 9am until 12.30pm.

It wasn't updated on the web, and a few days ago I ended up arriving when it was closed.

I'll venture out again when I have some essential shopping to do :)

Stay safe everyone!

Steve
Many of the sub-postmasters on Twitter have announced reduced hours/days.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

norvic wrote:Many of the sub-postmasters on Twitter have announced reduced hours/days.
I get the impression that "volume has fallen off a cliff", with very few businesses dropping off anything, and that PO's are still trying to offer "a full service, on a very tight budget".

"Cash withdrawls" from the PO are also down, and I suspect that's because "less old people are out and about", and "the fear of currency being the plague carrier" (spread around maliciously by the media) have taken their toll.

One effect is that all second class post appears to be going first class at present, and nothing requires my signature, anymore ....
I posted some medical supplies to London yesterday, and they arrived today.
Similarly, inbound eBay purchases have turned up "just one day after the transaction was agreed".

I hear the Postal "Union/s" want to try and restrict mail to "essential items only", and whilst I understand that fully "for all the junk they push through my letter box", I'd rather they reduced deliveries to "twice a week, in non key / volume areas", if that reduces their exposure to risk. (A basic Postal Service is "core infrastructure").

That would obviously have "a knock on effect, to eBay trading", but my dog can get by on "four less dog biscuits, a week" ... it might even be good for him!! :D

Highlander
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by Highlander »

Having just been underbidder on a nice lot to a "buyer" with a 30 day history of 559 bids and 100% activity with the same seller then clearly no shortage of shill bidders :lol:
Long interest in stamps from Great Britain. Avid collector always after good pre 1930 lots

erich
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by erich »

I've had items show up in about a week from Canada and Germany. The mail is definitely traveling, but I'm sure it depends on origin/destination.

steevh
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by steevh »

I've stopped selling things via 7-day auction for now.

Its hard to say what the situation will be a week from now (much worse, but no idea HOW MUCH worse). Right now going to the PO isn't a problem, but there are all manner of things that could change as this progresses.

I've left up all my BINs, but I'm not really expecting much activity on those in any case.

I haven't bought anything on eBay in months -- way too much stuff to sort and sell as it is. But lockdown boredom may drive me back online.

hughwp
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by hughwp »

Looking at a 4 page thread on SC forum on the subject makes some interesting reading it seems low end £1 to £10 is doing well, with plenty of listings and buyers, and some sellers are saying they are getting a 25-50% more for collections and albums in the £10-40 region than before lockdown, but that higher end items >£50 were being pulled and international sales dried up dramatically.

It seems a lot of people are at home 24/7 now are looking at low end stamp buying to occupy their time or are rekindling a old hobby now they have time, at least that is my theory :?

towradji

Post by towradji »

Very thoughtful comments.

My eBay sales, usually cheaper lots, are booming. Last week was my best for some time on first time customers.

I think a lot of collectors are using the self isolating time to have a thorough look at eBay. Some items that I last listed 3 or more years ago were sold last week. I don’t now use “buy it now” so these are pre the automatic relisting rule.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Most Australian based stamp collectors got handed $750 cash by the Feds this week. And will get the same $750 cash handout in a few weeks time. No strings attached.

Most Americans will get about $A2000 of the same free money very shortly. Apparently there will now be TWO cash handouts - the final details are being hammered out now.

US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said this week the Administration is aiming to send the first round of cheques by the end of April.

It is theoretically DESIGNED to stimulate both economies with retail spending. (Although many here will simply bank it, or pay it off mortgages etc, as there are bizarrely, no strings attached.) Much more detail on that here -

https://www.glenstephens.com/snapril20.html

Other countries might have done the same with instant cash handouts, I feel sure.

For stamp collectors on a tight retirement budget regime - and most seem to be, the Feds handing over fistfuls of cash is like a lotto or poker machine win, and they will mostly spend it all, and spend it fast. :mrgreen:

Anyone here who REDUCED their eBay listings in the past week was foolish beyond belief IMHO.

I have NEVER been so busy as in the past week. HUNDREDS of orders, and often for 4 figures. We simply cannot keep up.

As many are now self isolating - Catalogues, boxes of stock-books, Cartons of Hagners etc and so on, and collections and bulk lots are huge sellers as folks are stuck inside for months to come, and have time on their hands.

I did a half price deal on these massive sets 6 below, and sold a pallet of them in a week. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

steevh

Post by steevh »

I got back to listing things yesterday.

My main worry was that we'd get a Paris-style lockdown, making it difficult to go to the PO.

That hasn't happened, despite the high (and under-reported) death rate.

Of course, given the stamp-collecting demographic, there's always a chance that a buyer won't be around to give feedback, but I think the eBay buyers are younger than the average stamp collector.

W5LDY
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by W5LDY »

Currently listing as normal, sales going ok, material arriving with buyers, feedback ticking up steadily.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

More and more countries on the AP list state Signed for sendings will NOT be signed for on arrival, due to COVID.

https://auspost.com.au/about-us/news-media/important-updates ... ernational

Will be murder for ebay sellers from here as these 4-6 week delays just for normal mail sendings, to places like Canada now, will mean "goods not received" claims will skyrocket.

Sending Registered will not help. Many buyers will simply claim non delivery, PayPal will not see any online proof of delivery, and hence charge back the seller AND refund all post costs.

I deal near entirely with long term honest clients, and there will be few issues, indeed for most clients I sent untracked now even for pricier goods. But local based eBay type sellers will be raped and pillaged I am sure.

Glen

psestamp

Post by psestamp »

Here in the US I have noticed a slowing of the mails and I get far more "where is it" emails than
I used to. Not many but.... more.

As for sales - for me Sales are up but I sell cheaper items in the $5-$15 range.

I have spoken to people who sell $100 plus items - they have seen a dip and I would expect that
due to there being a functional "recession" going on right now.
Stamp Collecting Happened when we Dream Together
Caj Brejtfus, PSE -WE KILL FAKE STAMPS. and always remember...... DFTBA

norvic

Post by norvic »

We can all repeat ourselves, but better to get the story right.
norvic wrote:
Global Administrator wrote:Sending Registered will not help. Many buyers will simply claim non delivery, PayPal will not see any online proof of delivery, and hence charge back the seller AND refund all post costs.
But they will, as I have already said and you have quoted in your local magazine and in the Philatelic Exporter. Delivery is recorded in just the same way as it always has but there will NOT be a signature of the addressee - and this, too, is no different to what has happened before. RM does not take signature from addressee but from recipient at household.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

numisphil

Post by numisphil »

Global Administrator wrote:
Will be murder for ebay sellers from here as these 4-6 week delays just for normal mail sendings, to places like Canada now, will mean "goods not received" claims will skyrocket.
BINGO.....and there will be buyers out there taking full advantage of Ebay's slack policies. I stopped sending items outside Australia 3 weeks ago.

The chances of any article arriving within Ebay's ridiculous time frame are close to zero and Ebay sellers know what that means

hughwp

Post by hughwp »

This little stock book of Caribbean used stamps mostly low value with a small number with cat values in the range £1-£3 went for £32 shows that this type of stuff is selling well. A few weeks ago I would see similar items make £12-£15 tops

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-WEST-INDIES-CARIBBEAN-in- ... 3007494873

nota bene

Post by nota bene »

I threw up some auctions during March and April, and have seen decent sales and activity.

Sending items out of Hong Kong (where I am mostly based) is a bit troublesome as most of North America, Australia and Europe is surface mail only, or express post to some destinations in Europe.

Most of my cheaper (that is US25-US200) go out registered surface mail right now instead of registered airmail.

More expensive items go Express mail (EMS) or Fedex. Fedex is the only thing that has really been working quite well recently, both incoming and outgoing.

My auction purchases from "real" auctions and dealers are almost exclusively Fedex right now as registered airmail is either suspended or working with over a month delay. I still have items sent over a month ago both to me and from me that have not arrived by registered airmail.

numisphil

Post by numisphil »

Have been reading the new guidelines on Ebay regarding 'seller protection' during Covid19. For all those sellers on Ebay sending goods overseas, read the fine print.

This is how Ebay is 'looking after' its sellers during Covid19 and there are buyers out there taking full advantage.

Unless you are sending items by FEDEX, you've been warned.

Below is a copy of the current new Ebay guidelines regarding 'items not received':

Item Not Received Claims

You must upload valid tracking before the delivery is scanned

On transactions where both seller and buyer are in the same country, the item has to be delivered within 10 days of the Estimated Delivery Date

On international transactions, the item must be delivered within 30 days of the Estimated Delivery Date.

David Benson
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by David Benson »

The items I just listed state,

Delivery time varies,

David B.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Ebay's way to deal with COVID is to allow a seller to cancel ANY transaction without any issues to sellers (sold at auction for way too low - cancel the sale) and all negative feedback will be automatically removed for anything other than goods not as described items.

Poor communication, abuse, outright lies etc, are all OK now from sellers until May 31, and buyers cannot record negatives based on those clear abuses of the system.

What a cess pit - larger than usual. :roll: :roll: :roll:
https://export.ebay.com/en/seller-updates/covid19/covid19/

nota bene

Post by nota bene »

numisphil wrote:
02 May 2020 10:30
Have been reading the new guidelines on Ebay regarding 'seller protection' during Covid19. For all those sellers on Ebay sending goods overseas, read the fine print.

This is how Ebay is 'looking after' its sellers during Covid19 and there are buyers out there taking full advantage.

Unless you are sending items by FEDEX, you've been warned.

Below is a copy of the current new Ebay guidelines regarding 'items not received':

Item Not Received Claims

You must upload valid tracking before the delivery is scanned

On transactions where both seller and buyer are in the same country, the item has to be delivered within 10 days of the Estimated Delivery Date

On international transactions, the item must be delivered within 30 days of the Estimated Delivery Date.
Yes, this is massively problematic.

So far I only have one INR claim against me that of course eBay ruled to favour of the buyer.

However if the item turns up and is delivered (registered comes with signature/proof of delivery) I have a month to appeal their decision and they will reverse it all again.

However this is an issue as it is roughly speaking 30+10 days to get an INR against you and you only have 30 more days to appeal. So if the item is received after approx. 70 days by the buyer there is nothing eBay will do as far as I understand...

My exposure is limited as most of my surface mail went to clients I have done business with before, so they are understanding and not opening INRs, but I expect a few of them over the coming month or two. I am being firm with new buyers over the $100 mark that ANYTHING will go Fedex, else the sale is cancelled. This is to limit my exposure due to eBay's retarded policy.

eBay really need to have an option for "International surface mail" with expected delivery within 75 days or similar as opposed to the regular "International standard delivery" allowing up to 30 days. Under regular circumstances where airmail is available and working 30 days is of course enough time, but right now 2-3 months is very very common. Either due to mail going by surface, or being backlogged by air capacity, or because certain countries (origin, destination, transit) have gone into lockdown during the transportation.

kenlondon
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by kenlondon »

I've bought a handful of small items off ebay during this period, no delays but, having said that, sellers were all inland (UK Mainland). One seller who did not offer recorded delivery said he would video the parcel with my name/address on it being posted into a pillar box, which struck me as a creative approach.

I wouldn't like to be in the position of having to use a Post Office in the current situation, the queues for the local sub-post office were so long that people were asking whether they were queuing for the post office, Lidl, the Polish Sklep, or the bus. The council have widened the pavement now to alleviate the problem.

It is amazing how incredibly civil people have been to each other in queues since this whole thing kicked off. Please can we freeze this bi-product of Covid for the foreseeable future?
Disclaimer: I am not an expert - I am here to learn, so if anything I say is wrong, please say so!

towradji

Post by towradji »

I have never been busier on eBay. More sales from regulars and a lot of new customers.Some auctions of 100 lots are selling 65% with lots of multiple bidders.

The UK and USA customers are remarkably patient as they are waiting up to 8 weeks, and not a complaint.

Domestically a lot of positive feedback on the speed of Australia Post delivery. Admittedly, 99% of my sendings are letters, so few parcels.

steevh

Post by steevh »

I'm still restricting myself to UK-only buyers because of international mail problems, but I've been getting good sales results recently. Even stuff that's normally impossible to shift at a decent price, like a collection of mint UK pre-decimal commems, 1964-1970, or old springback albums.

Demand is certainly high at the moment.

erich

Post by erich »

I'm going to run US stamps only for now, to encourage them to stay here.

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”