WARNING : Abacus Auctions database was apparently hacked?

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

bazza4338
100 Thousand Club - Addicted Stamp Poster!

Re: WARNING : Abacus Auctions database was apparently hacked?

Post by bazza4338 »

Looks as if they are working on it...
1.jpg
2.jpg
attachment=0]3.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
3.jpg

kenlondon
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by kenlondon »

I think they will prioritise getting the basics working first, then move on to the archived content afterwards.

Most of my clients who have had these threatening emails with a familiar password in them have used them in gmail accounts. (Some other email systems are actually gmail with their own branding).

Looking at what is behind their website, it looks as if it is custom-written, which means it has had to have been custom-hacked too. Problem with such sites is that the developers of it have to be top notch at keeping it up to date with the latest patches for exploits.

If they are taking money through the site (as opposed to using a third-party such as Paypal), the website will have had to go through regular bank-approved compliance checks, and be penalised with higher charges if not compliant.

These checks do not IIRC include password dictionary attack checks, and therefore my guess is that it was either a password that got compromised, or they were behind with their compliance checking. I don't envy webmasters these days as it is less about the art of design, and more about trying to second-guess the baddies.
Disclaimer: I am not an expert - I am here to learn, so if anything I say is wrong, please say so!

alltorque
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Abacus Auctions NEW Website

Post by alltorque »

Seems the NEW site is up and working well and ready to get the bids in...
Had a good look around and see some lovely items coming up...
Well done to all the Crew and obviously a work in progress for referencing past sales.
Great reference material for years to come!.
Also Good to see more avenues coming back on line to pursue our hobby in these trying times....got to love auctions even with limited viewing...
Cheers

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

kenlondon wrote:
28 Jun 2020 06:20
I think they will prioritise getting the basics working first, then move on to the archived content afterwards.

LIke ensuring clients can actually register, and hence log in, and GASP - maybe spend money? That kind of basic stuff?

Maybe they will make that their aspirational goal for the first month ........ or year?

Tried under 3 email addresses yesterday, as reported up thread, and a total FAIL on all 3. No confirmation email received in any case to 3 separate email accounts. Completely hopeless, and total waste of my time.

Many simply will not bother again after that kind of hopeless basic IT flop. :!: :!: :!: :!:

TEST, TEST, AND TEST EVEN MORE is the golden rule before releasing new websites. We did it quietly here behind the scenes for a MONTH before launching the new stampboards this month, and it ran like clockwork from minute #1 because of that.

Stunning lack of behind the scenes testing been done there as usual it seems. :roll: :roll:

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Allanswood
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Allanswood »

Sorry mate, got the link, used my email, clicked, changed password and I'm in. Took 60 seconds.
My previous details, address and phone number are already there.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Yesterday afternoon it was simply not working. For 3 tries, via 3 email addresses. ZIPPO. Not sure when you tried.

Possibly they were adding band-aids during the day? Who would know in there.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I tired just before I posted. :)
There is also a nice PDF series available, from Torsten, on the Australia postal rates from 1966-1983
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Well, that is over 24 hours after I did and reported that here - working off the client email blast, that Gmail marked as SPAM .. not a place you want to be if you are a large Auction - :roll: :roll: :roll:

Capture.JPG

kenlondon

Post by kenlondon »

My check was done on the prestige domain.

Just done similar with abacusauctions.com.au Looks like they bought/renewed their security cert on the 26th June, so this might be the date when rebuilding commenced.

Gmail aren't the fastest at re-accepting emails after an event like this, you have to go through a load of hoops which all takes time.

I see they are using outlook.com as their email provider, which they might have had to re-setup again.
Disclaimer: I am not an expert - I am here to learn, so if anything I say is wrong, please say so!

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

I found two methods to search older auctions...

Go to PhilaFinder on the Homepage...
55555.jpg

Scroll down the Auction List
33333.jpg

Select your number - in this case, #140

44444.jpg

Second method - do a Google search for a specific Auction Number - in this case , #110 15 May 2004 - to view onscreen

888888.jpg
66666.jpg

Alternately, download the PDF of the Catalogue

77777.jpg

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Bazza you are a day late with your newsflash - they have only part moved this data across - just sloppy.

Global Administrator wrote:
27 Jun 2020 21:07

OK, if one uses www.prestigephilately.com/generala.php the past auctions go back near 20 years. (Even if using Firefox.)

Bookmark that I suggest, as these tech geniuses may not move these across. :idea:

revaust
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by revaust »

Hello fellow collectors.

I too have been trying to login to the new site and like others no password link email until this morning. There seems to have been problems with setting this new site but finally, it is working OK.

I rang this morning enquiring about my password and asked the question was there a security breach with the old site and was told NO. Apparently the old login was suspended whilst building the new version was under construction.

I have not received the hacking email and reading into the discussion I would be looking at gmail having a problem.

On a happy note, I have logged into the new site, got my bidder number and had a bit of a look around, and will look forward to live bidding.

Glen

Temora22
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Temora22 »

Changing my password and logging in were straightforward for me.

Regards,

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”