Music related Copyright royalty tax stamps - Revenue stamps?

We all have and handle these from time to time. "Back of book", Revenues, "Cinderellas", duty stamps and all kinds of other stamp like labels. Discuss them all HERE!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

adam78
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Re: Music related Copyright royalty tax stamps - Revenue sta

Post by adam78 »

A short aside into dating records.

Unless you have access to the catalogue of these stamps...

you won't know much about where they fit into the pantheon of copyright stamp issues, or (importantly) if you've found one not yet catalogued.

I only printed 100 copies back in 2007, and we're some years from me issuing a revised edition so prospects are limited.

However, several stamp and record dealers purchased multiple copies to onsell so you could try:

Kurt Nauck, USA (78rpm dealer)
Eric Jackson, USA (Revenue stamp dealer)
Kadine Stamps, NZ

Google will find all of them for you.

A bunch of libraries round the world also took copies
New Zealand libraries
Dunedin Public Library
Manawatu Philatelic Society
Massey University Library
National Library of New Zealand
Royal Philatelic Society of New Zealand
University of Waikato Library
Wellington Public Library
Overseas libraries
American Philatelic Research Library
Australian National University
British Library
National Film & Sound Archive, Canberra
Philatelic Association of NSW
Philatelic Library, Munich
Union of Philatelists, Moscow
Library, Revenue Society GB
Library, Cinderella Stamp Club, UK

so if you are lucky enough to live nearby, you can locate a copy.

Otherwise, it is useful to be able to place a date on the record from which the stamp came, at least to within a year or so.

There are three indispensible guide to dating 78rpm records.
1. Australasian records
AUSTRALIAN and NEW ZEALAND 78 labels - Dates and Images.
https://www.stampboards.com/images/78rpm/78s/oz_dates.htm

For most local labels, this has a series of catalogue numbers and the date they were issued.

For instance, using the Columbia 0666 from above

we find

allowing us to put its issue date sometime in 1927.

2. UK records
Eddie Shaw's Date About all Those English Seventy-eights (DATES), is an excellent resource, especially the revised edition that combines all three parts.

Using the Grafton from above

we can look up...

The catalogue number given by a year is the last one for that year, so 9142 falls in 1925.
Kurt Nauck (https://www.78rpm.com) stills sells this for US$35.

3. US/Canadian records
Lots of US pressed records were dumped into Australasia in the 1920s and received local copyright stamps, such as Apex, Operaphone, Lincoln & Brunswick.

Stephen Barr's The Almost Complete 78rpm Record Dating Guide covers most US issues, plus quite a few UK ones too.

Nauck's also still sells this for US$29.

Note that these all give the first pressing/issue date. Popular records could remain in issue for years, so a "later" stamp can appear on a record that seems too old. Most are close enough, though.

adam78

Post by adam78 »

OK, so I've sorted them into piles, now it's nearly time to soak them off.

First though, for any "interesting" items, I make a note in my current notebook.

When I first started collecting these, I took the details of every stamp & record (or pianola roll) from which it came. Now I'm more selective.

Generally it's those with provisional values - typewritten, manuscript or handstamped, or plain rare items, or any where the catalogue has no date for the set or uses a "?". The more datable records I can find a stamp on, the better the confidence for the dates of use.

Here's a sample from the current notebook for some of the stamps in this latest find.

But what you want to do is entirely up to you. Sometimes I take a note of the composer, or even the song title - especially for overprints referencing the composer (notably in European stamps).

I often also take a 300dpi scan of interesting stamps on interesting labels also - for another thread here :)
Copyright stamps still on the record label
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11211

plus when I mount up rare stamps, being able to print out the original stamp on label looks quite good on the page.

Once the stamps have been soaked off, dried and pressed, those in the notebook get the number written on their back in pencil. That way, I can always refer back to the record from which it came.

Back to soaking...
Some stamps (the better ones, and handstamped ones) I carefully soak by hand, others I just chuck in the bath.

I start with a sheet of blotting paper, a bowl of luke-warm water with a drop of detergent in it, and scissors.

I cut a pile of squares of blotting paper, just larger than the usual stamp size. Wet them and place over the stamp. I do about 20 at a time.

Most come off readily after 5-10 minutes. Wipe the record label dry with a kitchen paper towel or similar. Many UK stamps have more and better gum than their Australian cousins so take longer and often have lots of gum residue needing removal.

I have a modified pair of spade-end tweezers to help lift off the stamps.
I have made the tips even thinner (by hammering then carefully sanding them) so they can get between the stamp and the record label easily. Standard ones are too thick and won't.

Some record labels (especially those with gold ink - ACO, Vocalion, DECCA among others) stick to the stamps and even after much soaking, the stamps will not lift off. For those items I use an old 1" chisel which works between the stamp and the label (carefully!) and almost always removes the stamp with minimal damage to either it or the record label.
Practice & experience makes perfect here.

Some records in progress on the floor.

and others in the bath - tepid water.

The main difference with the bath is that the whole record gets a good soak. That means you'll have to give it a good dry and you'll go through many tea-towels. Check with your wife first, unless you do the laundry!

Any damaged stamps always find themselves having a bath.

Some records must not be immersed - Edison Diamond Disc, Duophone, Durium and others with a card core. If in doubt, use the blotting paper method.
Last edited by adam78 on 10 Aug 2014 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

adam78

Post by adam78 »

As the stamps come free, drop them in the bowl for a soak. Luckily most ink used for handstamps or manuscript values is pretty waterfast. Shop stickers are often stubborn, and the bath works best, plus the chisel is often required too.

Then I transfer them to the blotting paper (face-down) to dry. I don't have a Desert Magic book.

And finally we're done! Took about 90 minutes.

Once dry, I transfer to hagner sheets to flatten out.

Next I'll review what I ended up with for my $50.

john6625
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by john6625 »

Great work and tutorial Adam. I must admit, I soak mine in the sink with warm water. About five at a time but if I ever get that many the bath is a good idea.

Thanks
Join the August 2020 Cover Exchange: https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=91614 ..... OR ....
Join the August 2020 Postcard Exchange: https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=91615

adam78

Post by adam78 »

Final result: 68 good to very fine stamps, from 19 issuers.

Plus 47 damaged ones that I wouldn't keep.

Plus 12 NZ shop stickers from 8 issuers.

Plus a couple of records to keep and some nice sleeves.

As expected, dominated by J. Albert & Son stamps with 14 different stamps found. Nothing rare, but some nice copies.

The other Australian issuers found were Allan & Co (5 different), D. Davis (1), E.H. Morris (1), A.M.C.O. (1), Collin (2), M.C.P.S. (1) and Chappell Sydney (1)

A good selection of UK issuers, and generally in very nice condition. Mecolico (3 different), Chappell London (3), TCPS (4), Associated Copyrights (3), Francis, Day & Hunter (1), Universal Copyrights (1), Campbell Connelly (1), A.J. Stasny (1), J.H. Larway (2), Cecil Lennox (1), Herman Darewski (1) and Zonophone (1).

Here's the damaged items.

and the shop stickers.
The small "NZ Importing Co Palmerston North" bottom left is new to me.

Finally, as noted above, a few get numbered on the back.
Image Image

Worth NZ$50 - definitely - worked out less than $1 per stamp for the alright ones. I didn't find any new copyright stamps for my collection but it's good to have spares. And now my leftover records are back up for auction - maybe I'll get my money back!

Cheers

Adam

john6625

Post by john6625 »

Good stuff Adam. I would also put the damaged ones up in one lot on e-bay, you never know. :D
Join the August 2020 Cover Exchange: https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=91614 ..... OR ....
Join the August 2020 Postcard Exchange: https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=91615

MargoZ
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by MargoZ »

An interesting project, Adam and a great buy.
Good luck with the revised edition of your book.
Please click link below to "Like" stampboards on FACEBOOK -
https://www.facebook.com/stampboards/

adam78

Post by adam78 »

I didn't find any new copyright stamps for my collection but it's good to have spares.
Hah! Spoke too soon.

While putting the decent items into my collection one didn't seem to fit.

Type 6a, perf 11, sans-serif font, on chalk-surfaced paper.

A check in the Stamps on Music catalogue reveals...

...no 1¾d listed in set 420B.

That's the trouble with J. Albert & Sons stamps - they all look the same at first glance!

So, a nice new find after all.

adam78

Post by adam78 »

Global Administrator wrote:Very nice haul.

I'll bet if you re-offered the pile of commons after stamps are removed you'll be more than $50 back.
Almost Glen, just re-sold the leftovers on Trademe for $22.50. :P

adam78

Post by adam78 »

Some 10 months ago I did a series of posts here re the copyright stamps found on a pile of 78s purchased on Trademe.

Well I've done it again, although this time bought through a local public house-lot auction.

For my NZ$47 (including commission & GST) I obtained several boxes containing some 600 78s and a few LPs.

I have checked through the lots before raising my hand so I knew there were plenty of stamps and shop stickers, as well as some quite interesting old 78s.

First, the boxes as they arrived home.

Then after sorting - four piles with stamps and stickers, and two of interesting records.

Plus four piles of discards.

Once soaked off, I ended up with the following:
Lots of J. Albert, which is typical for here.

Also plenty of other Australian items, but as there were many records pressed in Great Britain before 1930, some interesting UK stamps too.

A good selection of NZ record store advertising stickers too, including a couple new to me.

All up 116 good stamps (being 78 different ones, from 27 issuers), plus some 30 shop labels. Four of the stamps were now to me (i.e. not in my catalogue), as were three of the shop labels. There were also about 10 quite rare UK & Australian stamps there too. So all in all a nice haul.

In addition, I ended up with over 60 damaged items.

Plenty of interesting records too, including six pre-1910 (the oldest was recorded in 1904!), some good jazz and swing and some unusual WW1-era labels.
I scanned a few stamps on the record before soaking and I'll put them up on the Copyright Stamps still on the Record Label thread soonish.
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11211

Adam

alltorque
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by alltorque »

Well done Adam,
Some great items you seem to come across often with a good return of stamps etc.
Seeing as you .. NOW .. have so many "spares"....when do you want me to send you my want list???
Please do keep showing us your additions, very interesting.
Cheers,
Ian

adam78

Post by adam78 »

Well, here we go again.

A few days ago I was contacted and asked if I wanted some free boxes of 78s. All I had to do was go about 80km and take them away. I was told there were about a dozen boxes. They were apparently the remainder of some 30,000 LPs, 45s and 78s belonging to a recently deceased hoarder.

Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, next day I was there, taking a record collecting friend along for the ride.

Here's what we found dumped on the rotting porch of the old house.

After much effort and several trips to place the boxes in safe storage in the meantime, here's what I managed to get to my garage.

That's about half the hoard, so I reckon there's about 4,500 78s to be sorted. Plenty have stamps and shop stickers, so should be a fun week or so sorting and soaking ahead :) :)

I'll post what I get when all done.

Only remaining problem is what to do with them once finished. Most are pretty run of the mill - a quick look through shows a LOT of country & western and Jimmy Shand!

Adam

alltorque

Post by alltorque »

Only remaining problem is what to do with them once finished.

Music lovers might like the vinyl but any "spare stamps " wont have a problem finding a new home..!!!
Keep us informed of your findings please..

Cheers...

adam78

Post by adam78 »

Sorting and soaking all done, and quite a pile of stamps.

Lots of Allans & Alberts as to be expected down here.
But also a surprisingly broad selection of stamps for Great Britain and even Europe.

All up about 350 stamps, with nearly 200 being different. 45 issuers were represented.

As well as copyright stamps, there were lots of record shop stickers.

About 60, mainly NZ but two from GB and one from Australia.

And I've found someone who'll take all the unwanted 1,000s of 78s off my hands. :)

adam78

Post by adam78 »

Not surprisingly there were a bunch of stamps found that weren't previously catalogued. First the Australian items.

Allans (Melbourne) 1930s, 2½d red on 1 3/8d blue. Also shows the "Anvil" flaw to the left of the "A".

Allans late 1930s, provisionally valued (looks like typewriter font)
¾d in blue on green.

J Albert & Son Pty Ltd, 1950s. Alberts did a lot of manuscript provisional revaluing. 3d converted to 3¼d

Alberts 3¼d uprated to 1/3¼d in green pen. Ex 10" LP.

MCPS (Mechanical Copyright Protection Society) opened their Sydney office in the mid-1920s. This is the first of their standard set sighted revalued, in this case by adding "½" in red ink.

c1931 D. Davis & Co red with typewritten "1 3/8" value. Previously only seen as 2d and 8d.

Chappell & Co opened their Sydney office in 1920. This ½d lilac example has been uprated to 1½d in black ink.

The Gramophone Co (HMV) issued these plain-looking stamps for Australia from the mid-1930s through to 1950. All bear the overprint of a music publisher, this is the first seen for Sterling, and again it looks like a typewriter was used, or at least printed through a inked ribbon.

adam78

Post by adam78 »

Next the UK examples.
Pre-1920, the ¾d is known all in blue, this is the first seen with the value printed in black.

Mecolico produced many provisional manuscript values, this the the first 1½d recorded.

For reasons yet unknown, some Mecolico stamps were used overprinted with between 1 and 4 coloured lines (blue, red, yellow, green), horizontally and vertically. This is the first ¾d with two vertical blue lines, although one with three vertical blue lines is known.

C. Villiers Stanford's own stamps used this sigma logo, and often bore manuscript values. This has the "½" value inverted, however.

adam78

Post by adam78 »

Finally a few new overprints found on European stamps.

AMMRE late 1920s generic brown issue for overseas use. Almost all have an overprint of the form Record Company / Destination / Size.
So this one is "Vox / Neuseeland / rot30" for the 30cm (12") red-label Vox records destined for New Zealand.

And this one is "Homo / EnglKol / 30cm" for 12" Homokords for the English Colonies.

The French Societe Generale de L'Edition Phonographique (EDIFO) issued a series for AMMRE, again with the "Vox / NeuSeeland / rot30" handstamp. AMMRE were dealing with the records being produced in Germany, but the copyright was controlled by EDIFO in this case so they supplied the stamps.

An EDIFO stamp for Netherlands use (PAYS BAS) overprinted "D.Cr. 25cm" for 10" records, manufactured by Deutsche Crystalate (a Kristall label in this instance).

alltorque

Post by alltorque »

A great job done.

And also finding new issues is a bonus.

More information for your new book ..Soon.

Still trying to source a catalogue to get up to speed...

Cheers,

Ian

dukeprince
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by dukeprince »

I have just found 450 of these Stamps aproximately in a Stamp album , how would I select a category, describe or title on Ebay these mechanical royalty Stamps, I cant find any listed at this time to copy.

What would be an apropriate start price for say 12 Stamps at a time in each lot.

Thanks in advance for any information.

adam78

Post by adam78 »

Dukeprince,
I found the ones you've already listed no problem. I usually search for "copyright stamp" or "record royalty" or similar.

The ones you've listed look in pretty good condition (especially compared to others that have been listed in the past) and the starting price is fair.

I've even spotted one not in the catalogue!

However, each lot has 3-6 stamps that are NOT Australian - they're from Great Britain.

For instance, this one has stamps from the GB issuers The Gramophone Co, The Copyright Protection Society, Mecolico, Cecil Lennox & Herman Darewski.

Most Australian issues come from Alberts, Allans, Collins, Davis, Palings, Australian branches of some big UK firms (Chappells, Sam Fox, MCPS), Boosey & Hawkes and a couple of others. Generally if it's not one of those, and it's not obviously European, it's from the UK.

And this one isn't copyright stamps at all - they're record shop advertising stickers.
See: https://www.stampboards.com/images/78rpm/shoplabels/Record_Sh ... stamps.htm

Still, I look forward to whatever else you list - I may even have a nibble on a couple myself! :)
Adam

dukeprince

Post by dukeprince »

adam78 wrote:Dukeprince,
I found the ones you've already listed no problem. I usually search for "copyright stamp" or "record royalty" or similar.

The ones you've listed look in pretty good condition (especially compared to others that have been listed in the past) and the starting price is fair.

However, each lot has 3-6 stamps that are NOT Australian - they're from Great Britain.

For instance, this one has stamps from the GB issuers The Gramophone Co, The Copyright Protection Society, Mecolico, Cecil Lennox & Herman Darewski.

Most Australian issues come from Alberts, Allans, Collins, Davis, Palings, Australian branches of some big UK firms (Chappells, Sam Fox, MCPS), Boosey & Hawkes and a couple of others. Generally if it's not one of those, and it's not obviously European, it's from the UK.

And this one isn't copyright stamps at all - they're record shop advertising stickers.
See: https://www.stampboards.com/images/78rpm/shoplabels/Record_Sh ... stamps.htm

Still, I look forward to whatever else you list - I may even have a nibble on a couple myself! :)
Adam
Ok thats good news , I had a stab at those , will list more tomorrow for 5 days ending sunday may be of interest , thanks your input you seem to be the go to guy for these Stamps.

dukeprince

Post by dukeprince »

Am getting bids thanks for your input Adam , listed some more today and am finding myself developing some interest , perhaps I will keep some and start checking out local OP Shops for old records, when the bug bites why fight it, your Verandah full has got the blood pressure up.

My small box of Tongs Perf Guages etc will have to be enlarged to fit a 1 inch chisel , my spouse will think Ive lost the plot finally.

adam78

Post by adam78 »

Time for an update.

After much procrastination I finally pulled together some 7 frames for the Capital Stampshow here in Wellington in late October, as an Invited Display.

Went down well, and as I scanned every page for insurance, some will make their way here.

Meantime, here's a few pages of Australian issues that didn't get in the Exhibit.

Walter Bassett

Belinda Music

Cary & Co (note - only copy recorded, I'd love to hear of any others...)

Clifford Ltd

Adam.

adam78

Post by adam78 »

Coles Book Arcade was a famous Australian institution, but who knew they issued their own local revenue stamps?

Image Image Image

And a pair of piano rolls for the same tune issued some years apart, so getting different Coles stamps.

Coles' stamps are very scarce.

adam78

Re: Music related Copyright royalty tax stamps

Post by adam78 »

Some weeks back I heard on the grapevine that the local Melody Farm Museum was being closed as the owner was off to a rest home. Leon had run the music museum at Pukerua Bay, along with his wife, for some 50 years.

As often happens, he hadn't made plans for its dispersal so it was up to his family to deal with a major collection of pianolas (10), piano rolls (2,500!), gramophones and phonographs (about 40), radios (just lots), accordions, a street organ, a couple of wurlitzer juke boxes, piles of sheet music, 45s, 1,000s of LPs and 1,000s of 78rpm records. And more like books and ephemera.

I travelled out there to give advice on the various things I know about, but also in particular to look at the 78s and the piano rolls.

Some pix from beforehand.

A wall of 78s.

Shelves of pianola rolls. Some radios and gramophones can be seen in the backgrounds.

Long story short, my offer for every 78 in the place (and in the shed out the back) was accepted, plus I could go through all the rolls and just buy the ones I wanted.

Next weekend, with a rented truck, I picked up the bulk of the 78rpm records - about 5000. Here they are in my garage.

I also went through every piano roll looking for stamps I didn't think I already had, ended up with about 65.

Next weekend went back to pick up the remaining 78s, about another 1500. So all up about 6,500 sitting in the garage.

Next two weeks spare time spent sifting through them putting aside those with interesting stamps and shop stickers, but also a lot of interesting and rare records, and some good music too. I suppose I put about 1000 aside, ranging from an 1899 Berliner to 1950s rock&roll and radio advertising disks.

Soaking the stamps took ages, and I ended up with about 300 to add to my collection, a couple of dozen of which were not catalogued (they are now), plus another 400-odd spares (some of which have already been sold to defray expenses, as have some of the records).

I took scans of the really nice stamps on the record labels and rolls for those two other threads, where they'll appear in due course.

Next post will be some stamps from the pile, showing that bulk buying 78s is still be best way to increase your collection of the stamps.

adam78

Post by adam78 »

First four pages of keepers.

And 5+ pages of "spares"

john6625

Post by john6625 »

Once in a lifetime pick up there Adam. I never thought you could out do your last effort.

Well done.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Now THAT is a find. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

benjclark
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by benjclark »

:shock: Amazing!!
Always seeking bookseller labels....Album of Book Trade Labels
Author Site: Benjamin L Clark.com PSCC #157

Bjubes
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by Bjubes »

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and was the seller of the lots of these stamps on Trade Me mentioned earlier in this thread. I have loaded up some photos of some stamps we have coming up for sale soon on Trademe and thought you folk should have a preview. These are a sample of the lots coming up.
file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2016-07-07/IMG_12a34%20(55).JPG
file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2016-07-07/IMG_12a34%20(63).JPG
file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2016-07-07/IMG_12a34%20(70).JPG
file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2016-07-07/IMG_12a34%20(77).JPG
file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2016-07-07/IMG_12a34%20(83).JPG
file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2016-07-07/IMG_12a34%20(91).JPG
file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2016-07-07/IMG_12a34%20(98).JPG
file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2016-07-07/IMG_12a34%20(111).JPG
file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2016-07-07/IMG_12a34%20(118).JPG
file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2016-07-07/IMG_12a34%20(124).JPG
file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2016-07-07/IMG_12a34%20(131).JPG
file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2016-07-07/IMG_12a34%20(137).JPG
file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2016-07-07/IMG_12a34%20(143).JPG
file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2016-07-07/IMG_12a34%20(149).JPG
file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2016-07-07/IMG_12a34%20(162).JPG
file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2016-07-07/IMG_12a34%20(169).JPG
file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2016-07-07/IMG_12a34%20(174).JPG
file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2016-07-07/IMG_12a34%20(178).JPG
file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2016-07-07/IMG_12a34%20(182).JPG
file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2016-07-07/IMG_12a34%20(187).JPG
file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2016-07-07/IMG_12a34%20(190).JPG
file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2016-07-07/IMG_12a34%20(104).JPG
file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2016-07-07/IMG_12a34%20(156).JPG
file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2016-07-07/IMG_12a34%20(196).JPG
file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2016-07-07/IMG_12a34%20(202).JPG
file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2016-07-07/IMG_12a34%20(208).JPG
file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2016-07-07/IMG_12a34%20(214).JPG

Bjubes

Post by Bjubes »

Hi all,

We have now started listing these. Take a look at the below for the auctions for those interested.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=1821853

adam78

Post by adam78 »

Hi Bjubes

The forum for promoting one's own online auctions is here

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17218

Adam,

Bjubes

Post by Bjubes »

Hi Adam,

Thanks heaps for pointing this out and sorry for my mistake. I hoped to add the images as the other member had for the record not just for promotion.

Regards
Ben

adam78

Post by adam78 »

You'll need to link to an internet-based image like Photobucket, not your own C: drive in that case. And remember that the Preview button is your friend. :D

adam78

Post by adam78 »

I'm continuing to write up my collection, so here are the latest pages.

New Zealand - Begg's

New Zealand - A. Eady Ltd

adam78

Post by adam78 »

At last the 2nd Edition of the catalogue of these stamps is available
- see in the Knowledge forum

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=71031&p=5132370#p5132370

Adam.

HalfpennyYellow
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

Adam, are you aware of any copyright royalty tax stamps from Malta?

I have never seen any and I don't know if any exist, but I would be interested if they do.

As a side note, apparently in Malta we might have the world's oldest record store still in operation (D'Amato in Valletta, est. 1885).
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

adam78

Post by adam78 »

HalfpennyYellow wrote:Adam, are you aware of any copyright royalty tax stamps from Malta?

I have never seen any and I don't know if any exist, but I would be interested if they do.
Nope, never seen one.

Generally the stamps are from countries which had their own recording industry active AND sizeable local music publishing firms.

Records sold in Malta I'm assuming would have been pressed abroad, so unless the composer was Maltese, there would be little local evidence.

Adam

OldDuffer1
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by OldDuffer1 »

I seem to remember tax stamps on imported jazz LPs in the 60s.(Of course, got rid of all my vinyl just before it "came back"!) Whether anyone collects them have no idea.

adam78

Post by adam78 »

OldDuffer1 wrote:I seem to remember tax stamps on imported jazz LPs in the 60s.(Of course, got rid of all my vinyl just before it "came back"!) Whether anyone collects them have no idea.
Did it look anything like this?

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

I seem to remember they looked just like an ordinary stamp- but it was a long time ago! (Also cannot find any examples on the 'net so perhaps I dreamt them)

adam78

Post by adam78 »

I purchased some too-good-to-be true Australian Copyright stamps off this ebay seller under the biblica99 handle (now stampcentre). See this thread https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=82428

All nicely centred, full gum and p11 (which at least was correct for some)

However, they have been printed as dots rather than proper litho. Paper not right either. Genuine on the right.
Also some only exist rouletted, not perfed.

A fake in close-up showing the graininess.

Seller is now offering an identical lot (at over double what I paid) under a new handle jobr_459. This caused me to look closely at what I'd already bought under a strong magnifier and see the deception.

dukeprince

Post by dukeprince »

adam78 wrote:Dukeprince,

Adam
This was almost 4 years ago , found a new lot and listed ebay seller "dukeprince" 33 lots of 8 stamps, 78 rpm mechanical royalty stamps ending soon all at $12 start price , may be of interest to you.

adam78

Re: Music related Copyright royalty tax stamps - Revenue stamps?

Post by adam78 »

I thought I'd start showing the variety of these stamps from A-Z, starting with Australia's most prolific - J. Albert & Son. Note these aren't the complete sets, just the nicer examples I have - many of the very scarce items are only known from rather tatty examples.

Type 1, Circular, 1923-24
alb001.jpg
alb002.jpg
alb003.jpg

Type 2, horizontal signature, perf 11½, 1923-24
alb004.jpg
alb005.jpg
alb006.jpg
alb007.jpg
alb008.jpg

Type 2, diagonal signature, perf 11, 1923-24
alb009.jpg
alb010.jpg
alb011.jpg
alb012.jpg
Most of these first types appear on records imported from USA and Canada. Often older unsold stock "dumped".
The 4d and 8d are off pianola rolls.
Last edited by adam78 on 22 Oct 2020 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

adam78

Re: Music related Copyright royalty tax stamps - Revenue stamps?

Post by adam78 »

J. Albert & Son continued.

Type 3, perf 14x15 or 15x14, 1925-28. Appears on records imported from the UK.
alb013.jpg
alb014.jpg

Type 4a, carmine & yellow-green, perf 11, 1924-27
alb015.jpg
alb016.jpg
alb017.jpg
alb018.jpg
alb019.jpg
alb020.jpg
alb021.jpg
alb022.jpg
alb023.jpg
alb024.jpg
alb025.jpg
alb026.jpg
alb027.jpg
alb028.jpg
alb029.jpg
alb030.jpg
alb031.jpg

The Types and dates are taken from the 2017 2nd Edition of Stamps on Music.

Return to “Cinderellas etc - all the stamps that are NOT regular postage stamp related”