Do you collect coins as well as stamps - and if so - why?

A *LARGE* percentage of stamp collectors also collect various numismatic areas. This is YOUR little corner of the board to ask questions, seek advice, check values, and chat. Please join in!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Machaggis52
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Re: Do you collect coins as well as stamps - and if so - why

Post by Machaggis52 »

revenuecollector wrote:I collected high-grade world coins for a number of years, focusing on copper and silver that had vibrant colorful toning. I sold off most of my collection about 5 years ago when I decided to focus more exclusively on U.S. revenue stamps.

I kept my collection of U.S. half cents, 1857 large cents, and my British fractional farthings. I still collect the quarter-, third-, and half-farthings by date in high grade, although I'm not doing it as seriously any more.

A couple of favorites I still have:

Image Image

Image Image

I collect farthings, sporadically. Actually, thinking about it, I do most things sporadically. I concentrate on a collecting 'section', French Mariannes, farthings, the Annigoni collection, line engraved, blocks four line engraved, blocks four modern Germany, Germany - states, Reich, allied zones etc until I get fed up, then move to the next. It is Annigoni aerogrammes at the moment. :D

A half farthing, I have, I didn't realise that there were smaller fractions than that. Even a half is 1920 to the £. :shock: :shock: I'll have a look for the smaller fractions. My farthings are back to William III so far, I'm looking for Charles II, but farthings at a reasonable price and condition are hard to find.

Edited to add:

Just searched quarter farthing. Yikes :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: these things cost serious money. The ones I've just been looking at are several hundreds of pounds, and not a patch on your one.
With kind regards, Jim

FairyFoot
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by FairyFoot »

My son has shown an interest in coins (as well as stamps) from before 2012. All those Olympic 50p coins but only want to collect the coins in circulation (don't want to pay more than 50p for a 50p coin still valid as legal tender). I bought Agatha Christie stamps from a post office last week and received a new 50p coin in my change - Rio Olympics.
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I blog here. I also have a snailmail forum.

Hoover
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by Hoover »

I began collecting stamps as a young lad with the odd coin picked up here and there. At the age of 12, I was given a nice Canadian stamp album owned my one of my parents best friends whose only child had died at the age of 9, 20 years earlier. This had been his collection.

My parents friend told me that someday, he and I would sell stamps together. That never happened, however I did take up collecting again with great enthusiasm after my parents passed on and left me a small inheritance and along with stamps from around the world, I also began to collect all kinds of silver coins, mainly Canadian, but world as well.

Have just moved into a new home, plan to retire soon and sort out two filing cabinets full of stamps and coins. It's a great pasttime and I enjoy learning about the history of the countries whose stamps and coins I've continued to collect.

I'm also active physically, so have no problem justifying my time sitting and sorting.

MarvMalt
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by MarvMalt »

Read my signature/motto. :D

Several items from my collections (specialize in Melbourne related items):

I collect therefore I am.

Parisboy
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Parisboy »

I'd love to collect coins as well as stamps and have gathered a few disparate examples over the years but I just can't afford both. It's a shame as coins are fascinating. Maybe one day...

Chris.

asmodeus

Post by asmodeus »

I collect coins when they cross my ways and the are not to expensive.
Sometimes I buy a 1oz Silver Bullion Coin when prices are low- crisis preventive :lol:

I like the Farthings

Truth is the daughter of time

sagi2917
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by sagi2917 »

Well, I got a stamp album from dad and a box of coins from mom and hence landed into collecting both stamps and coins

Gradually added currency notes too to the set in the bid to collect one from each UN member till the target was achieved and therefore revised :)
Primary interests: Entities, Joint-Issues, Sports (Olympics, Commonwealth, Football, Cricket)
Missing: India - Scott # A1, A7(2a), A43 (Rs.5/25), A48 (PIES-PIES), A5 (4a Inverted)

castores
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by castores »

Someone earlier said "a collector is a collector", so true.

There are many reasons why I collect stamps and a number of those easily transfer to notes & coins (and many other collectables).

My reasons: all of the above posts.

Those Brazilian notes (apes) are just amazing, can you see them in the dark?

Australia
Everything PNG
This and that

quirky

Post by quirky »

Castores, looks like the above $1 coin has the SPEW error on 2nd top Roos back ?.

castores

Post by castores »

quirky wrote:Castores, looks like the above $1 coin has the SPEW error on 2nd top Roos back ?.
Hi quirky (love the tag),

I had to look that up, I'm not aware of flaws on notes and coins. It is a 1984 $1 coin which is one of the years that flaw is on.

The only thing I can see is the third roos' tail which protrudes above the second roo. Is that what you are referring to?

Australia
Everything PNG
This and that

psestamp

Post by psestamp »

Since I exhibit the 1850-1859 issues I also have the coins from 1851 which is the year they went to 3 cents for the postage rate.

My exhibit has a 3 cent coin in it which was minted for the purpose of purchasing postage stamps. (Remember that in the USA we have WSP rules verses FIP rules - under FIP I would lose points for this).
Stamp Collecting Happened when we Dream Together
Caj Brejtfus, PSE -WE KILL FAKE STAMPS. and always remember...... DFTBA

castores

Post by castores »

psestamp wrote:Since I exhibit the 1850-1859 issues I also have the coins from 1851 which is the year they went to 3 cents for the postage rate.

My exhibit has a 3 cent coin in it which was minted for the purpose of purchasing postage stamps. (Remember that in the USA we have WSP rules verses FIP rules - under FIP I would lose points for this).
How about a picture of the coin?
Australia
Everything PNG
This and that

Princestamps
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Do you collect coins as well as stamps - and if so - why?

Post by Princestamps »

Since that last post 7 years, I have gone deeper back into coins and probably do them more than stamps now. I am on 2 coin forum boards and are doing well there.

As this is an Australian board, here is some of my Australian interests

1. Florins
aus1936f.jpg
1936 Florin g VF
aus1944f.jpg
1944 Florin UNC
Aussie Florins QE2.jpg
7 Uncirculated or near UNC (1953 and 1956 Florins)

Also Kiwi coins and Halfcrowns/Florins are my obsession, but I collect modern too.

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Some of those modern coloured $2 coins that are fuelling a huge investment bubble at the moment (I am dying to hear Glen wade in on these things if he hasn't already).

Australian $2 coins
Australian $2 coins

2012 Red Poppy, a notorious $2 coin
2012 Remembrance
2012 Remembrance
I am also proud of my British Half crown collection
1655 hc
1655 hc
cwealth hc
cwealth hc
1656 Breeches Money "Commonwealth Halfcrown"
Basic UK HCTRYPES
Basic UK HCTRYPES
Basic UK HCTYPES2
Basic UK HCTYPES2

These two images show a basic run through of types of most British Halfcrowns between 1635 (Charles I) and 1970 QE2 proof. Most reigns and types are showing except James II, William and Mary and George I.

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Key to images above.

Image One
First row - 1635/6 Charles I Tower Mint, 1656 Commonwealth, 1670 Charles II (First milled coins 1662 onwards), 1696 William III (Great recoinage instituted by Sir Isaac Newton)

Second row - 1709 Queen Anne, Post Union type, 1746 George II - Lima, 1816 George III Bull Head (First machine made coin and first halfcrown since 1751, 1823 George IV Type 2

Third Row - 1825 George IV final type, 1836 William IV, 1845 Victoria Early Head and Shield, 1887 Jubille Head Type
HC Heads 1
HC Heads 1
The back of those coins !

Second Image - Some nicer coins here

First Row - 1893 Victoria - Old Head, 1904 Edward VII Shield (Scarce), 1915 George V - Shield, 1921 - Debased silver.

Second Row - 1922 George V (This coin has gap between shield and crown, a design flaw corrected that year), 1927 Shield Modified effigy, 1931 Kruger Grey coinage of George V, 1940 George VI - Silver, 1948 - Cupronickel GVI

Bottom Row - 1950 KGVI without Ind Imp, 1953 QE2 - with "Omn", 1957 QE2 without "Omn", 1970 Proof and last ever halfcrown (Last circulating one was 1967).
HC Heads 2
HC Heads 2
NZ 1941
NZ 1941
nz 1941b
nz 1941b
Kiwi Halfcrowns I love too.

John1952

Post by John1952 »

I think I am one of those people who has a "collecting gene".

Coins (postcards, autographs, phonecards) Irish and USA are secondary to Stamps. I don't think I am a hoarder because hoarders are a fire hazard.

My interest in Irish coins really dates from 2002 and the introduction of the Euro. So the coins I had in my pocket, pre-decimal and decimal instantly became more interesting. You never really miss an everyday object until it is gone.

I am currently trying to compose a post for my Blog on that transition process from disinterest to interest. Provisionally titled "From Money Box to Coin Album".

Return to “Coins, Banknotes, tokens, medals and all things NUMISMATIC!”