Do you collect coins as well as stamps - and if so - why?

A *LARGE* percentage of stamp collectors also collect various numismatic areas. This is YOUR little corner of the board to ask questions, seek advice, check values, and chat. Please join in!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Hermespan
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Do you collect coins as well as stamps - and if so - why?

Post by Hermespan »

The only reason I have revived my boyhood interest in stamps is because they fascinate me as the most portable form of wealth.

I am like a Jew in Nazi Germany. I like to be able to flee an oppressive government (or just for a change of scenery) overnight. Hand-painted umbrellas from Laos don't pass the portability test.

Sure, let me be indelicate here, Ismaili refugees from Idi Amin could have been able to find a very private places for discreet transporting of some Akbar mohurs out of Uganda, but a stamp? It fits in the cover of a book. More comfortable.

But there are downsides to stamps versus coins and even banknotes, so I will dabble in all.

For one, I like the FEEL of coins. They have more substance and I imagine the coin being passed from hand to hand, what stories it has to tell. What does a stamp have to report except saliva?

OK, I am being too hard--love letters, espionage, sure. But, they are less substantial physically. This also means an inconvenience archiving them. As a kid I destroyed more than a few accidentally. Diamonds they are not.

Which are more costly (pluses and minuses to that of course)?
Which are more complicated to learn about?
Which have more variety?
Which have tax advantages (for those of you who file)?
Which are more beautiful?

In brief, why do you collect collectibles other than stamps?
Last edited by Global Administrator on 16 Feb 2013 00:57, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Capital letter in heading as per normal English useage. Edited heading to mean something.

birder
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Re: Do you collect coins as well as stamps - and if so - why

Post by birder »

Yes, I collect coins, matchbox labels, old medals, covers, bank checks, etc etc.

Yes, I buy much more than I should.

No, I do not have other (non virtual) friends who share this madness.

Yes, I derive a lot of pleasure organizing and gazing at my collections.

Yes, I understand this might not be normal (since it is not common) to blow money on small scraps of paper etc.

But then I could do much worse with the money and the time.
I am not afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Woody Allen

hutch
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by hutch »

Hi Hermespan, I and my husband, like Birder, collect a lot of different things. We collect them because we like them. Not because they are worth anything (although that is a bonus!)

We collect coins just because they intrigue us! "How many loaves of bread did that coin buy"?

But, we do not go out buying coins or stamps purely for financial gain. For us it is fun and enjoyable. And that is where it will remain. We enjoy our hobbies and if it ends up a "kiddies collection" so be it!

We have fun with our collections...and that is how it should be! We enjoy looking at our collections of varied accumulations!

Anything more serious is a totally different thing altogether!

Enjoy your collecting. Hope you find a happy median!

hutch
I am having fun collecting WW and Indian States.

ChrisGray
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by ChrisGray »

I buy the occasional coin, mainly silver as gold is a little rich for my blood. :lol:

My thinking is, at worst they're always worth melt price. The fact that you have to buy above that (and with gold and silver so high in our awful present economy) means it might be a long time before the melt price equals purchase price, but it seems a good investment, however small.

They are also fun to look at. :)

As for the OP, the Ismali Muslims were but one group of the substantial population who evacuated Idi Amin's Uganda. My neighbour was one of the latter. As he tells it, the evacuation of Uganda was more along the lines of everybody except the suddenly true Ugandans, much more akin to ethnic cleansing. The pre-WWII Jewish population of Germany you mentioned might have thought your "oppressive government" descriptor a little sugar coated as well. :)

revenuecollector

Post by revenuecollector »

I collected high-grade world coins for a number of years, focusing on copper and silver that had vibrant colorful toning. I sold off most of my collection about 5 years ago when I decided to focus more exclusively on U.S. revenue stamps.

I kept my collection of U.S. half cents, 1857 large cents, and my British fractional farthings. I still collect the quarter-, third-, and half-farthings by date in high grade, although I'm not doing it as seriously any more.

A couple of favorites I still have:

Image Image

Image Image

hutch

Post by hutch »

Very nice Revenuecollector! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Britcollector

Post by Britcollector »

I sold off most of my coins years ago but kept a few. Canadian $20 from the 1967 anniversary set:

I have the boxed set, but the $20 is the best looking.

hutch

Post by hutch »

Has anyone collected the Tuvalu Deadly and Dangerous Series? It's silver and each coin only comes out once a year.

hutch

ewen s
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by ewen s »

I have formed a small collection of NZ tradesman tokens. They are not coins as such but were used in place of small change from the 1850's through to the late 1880's.

In those days there was a shortage of small coins throughout the huge British empire. You can imagine the cost of shipping ha'pennies and farthings to such far-flung corners as NZ was fairly prohibitive.

This was compounded by the settlers preferring to not carry small coins especially as weight and space were a premium on the sailing ships. Grocers etc minted their own small change to solve the issue until they were eventually declared illegal once the stocks of official coinage had risen

I first saw one at a stamp auction about 6 years ago. So far I have about 30 different, so sonewhere about halfway there (simplified).

Sailer2002
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by Sailer2002 »

Hermespan wrote:The only reason I have revived my boyhood interest in stamps is because they fascinate me as the most portable form of wealth.

I am like a Jew in Nazi Germany. I like to be able to flee an oppressive government (or just for a change of scenery) overnight. Hand-painted umbrellas from Laos don't pass the portability test.

Sure, let me be indelicate here, Ismaili refugees from Idi Amin could have been able to find a very private places for discreet transporting of some Akbar mohurs out of Uganda, but a stamp? It fits in the cover of a book. More comfortable.

But there are downsides to stamps versus coins and even banknotes, so I will dabble in all.

For one, I like the FEEL of coins. They have more substance and I imagine the coin being passed from hand to hand, what stories it has to tell. What does a stamp have to report except saliva?

OK, I am being too hard--love letters, espionage, sure. But, they are less substantial physically. This also means an inconvenience archiving them. As a kid I destroyed more than a few accidentally. Diamonds they are not.

Which are more costly (pluses and minuses to that of course)?
Which are more complicated to learn about?
Which have more variety?
Which have tax advantages (for those of you who file)?
Which are more beautiful?

In brief, why do you collect collectibles other than stamps?
OK fair question...
But why is different for every person.

I collect because of the fun, because it is important and monetary to others, and I hope to cash in some day ..

silver is also nice]]

Sailer2002
Never Say Never Any Thing is Possible.

Princestamps
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Princestamps »

Yes I have always been fascinated by coins. When I was a baby I loved the shininess and roundness, and as I got older I just loved cash money.

I started collecting seriously between 13 and 21 when I amassed a great collection. I had all the NZ ones except the Waitnagi Crown.
Between 21 and 24 I had several classic English coins like a 1580 6d and a 1671 crown along with several very nice Victorian silver coins and American Morgan dollars an 1830 bust half and a 1876S Seated Liberty Half.

But alas the day of April 16 2001, I was driving to stay with my parents in an impoverished, high crime part of New Zealand. And I stopped for an hour and some one broke into my car and stole everything, I never saw them again. I got an insurance payout of $2250 due to a checklist of every coin worth over a $1 that I had written up. I was a few days shy of my 25th birthday

But it put me off collecting anything for a while and it wasn't until 2005 I started with stamps, around 2007 I started accumulating coins again, mostly travellers change and a few coin sets of nearby countries, but the collection has grown again. Theres a few nice pieces, but no gold or rare silver. I collect but Stamps are number one now.

quicksilver
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by quicksilver »

Although my first love is stamps and always will be, I do have a small side coin collection. My husband was in Bosnia and Iraq with the military and he brought back some circulated coinage from his travels. I have some coinage from several places in the middle east and then he went to Europe once and so I got a few things from there as well. I also have a big stack of now defunct "Saddam notes" from the (now deceased) regime of Saddam Hussien. Maybe be good for TP I don't know. For a short while I bought a few overseas notes and coins from a small dealer but couldn't afford to keep up that and stamps so stamps won the battle. I did have a nice silver collection once but had to sell it to pay off a debt. Now I just pick junk silver out of change and the pre 82 copper pennies. None of it is very valuable, just fun, alot like my stamps.

revenuecollector

Post by revenuecollector »

If you like just looking at pictures of cool coins, I used to do professional coin photography. While I am not doing it actively any more, I still have the website up:

http://www.numismotography.com

bobby1948
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by bobby1948 »

Stamps are my passion, but a collector is a collector is a collector. I have a nice US penny collection (mostly inherited from my mom) but do very little with it.

robertlyon777
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by robertlyon777 »

I stick to stamps and telegraph forms - coins I tend to spend on stamps rather than keep :)

But saying that I have a small box of coins I got from my mother that just takes up space in my stamp cabinet. One day I might find out more about them - I just haven't found the time.

chemist562

Post by chemist562 »

In the 1970's, I collected both coins & stamps. I started with coins in 1971 as a young teen (13) and went into stamps in 1974.

My coins did alot better in value than my stamps. I did sell $100 face of my excess silver coins in early 1980 (mostly culls, etc) for 23 times face. That really boosted my college fund!!

My stamps did not fare as well but I did alot of buying & selling in the late 1970's/early 1980's when the market went "nuts" at the time. My cost basis of my stamp collection is not very much since I bought low at outdated prices and sold at the high (then current) market prices.

I got some nicer stamps such as the 50 cent C18 (US) Zeppelin. (1 mint stamp & 1 on cover). I sold my "junk" and bought some quality pieces.

One example where I got nice pieces in my collection. I bought 3 plate blocks of a nice 1920's stamp where the dealer had outdated (low!) prices at the time. (early 1980's). I sold one block at the then current prices (more than I paid for the 3 blocks!) and kept the other two plate blocks for my collection. I did alot of this wheeling & dealing so my collection didn't cost alot. I was in graduate school so my funds (and my time!!) was very limited.

Bottom line: I had alot of fun with my stamps & coins. My collections are not large but I have a few nice stamps. (USA). I graduated to travels & seeing the world for next to nothing. Now that I have medical issues, I now enjoy my stamps & coins since my mobility is limited. (my doctor told me I can not fly as I would likely have a cardiac arrest if I flew :( ). My cancer spread to my left heart. :(

I am slowly getting up to speed with my stamps & coins. :) I also started to collect Australia. I enjoy seeing various parts of Australia & I enjoyed meeting Aussies every time I visited. :D (at least 6 trips to Australia!)

dave13

Post by dave13 »

I've actually started to collect stamps because I have discovered some covers have a coin or medal on them.
http://www.neocollect.com/coll/6417/
This is my stamp, coin, medal related collection.
My coin medal and stamp collection.
http://www.neocollect.com/user/

hutch

Post by hutch »

Hi dave13, this can often be a great start to collecting coins and/or stamps.

PNC's (Postal Numismatic Covers) have the best of two worlds!

They generally have a coin that is not circulated in the public domain and therefore can be rather unique, and are often issued with quite lovely stamps and cancels as well.

I collect stamps and my husband and I both collect coins...PNC's are a great addition that adds a lot of enjoyment to both our hobbies! And they look great!

The collection you posted up looks fantastic! A bit jealous I am :mrgreen:

Have fun collecting!

hutch

dave13

Post by dave13 »

Thanks this collection sort of snuck up on me mostly bought for coins and medals then I realised that stamps were becoming a feature on the medals.
My coin medal and stamp collection.
http://www.neocollect.com/user/

muruk

Post by muruk »

My main geographic stamp collection is Greater New Guinea.

I also collect other stuff from there, native jewellery and artefacts, and pre-decimal coins.

I have a reasonable number of the New Guinea shilling with the hole:

They needed a hole as New Guinea clothing had no pockets, so coin was secured on a cord or thong.

When I was in Port Moresby in the early 1970s, most Lapuns (old men) wore one of these on a thong around their neck as a memento of the time before the big fight, and would not part with them for any amount of money. Offers of 3 months' local wages were turned down without hesitation.

Today, no-one up there even remembers them.
A man might as well marry ... if he finds a good wife he will be happy ... if not, he will become a philosopher.
Collecting Greater New Guinea & Macropods (Kangaroos & Wallabies).

Safi
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by Safi »

Except for a few years when I was a kid, where I collected both stamps as well as coins, I've been collecting only stamps for over 2 decades now, collecting Commonwealth stamps. Very recently, I developed a liking for coins and currency notes as I came in touch with a few friends who were into it. Also, triggered by my visit to a Numismatic fair in my town a year or more back.

I thought it would be a good idea to continue to collect Commonwealth but in all forms, not just stamps :) I realized I need a catalogue first, and when a stamp-collecting friend sent me the CD-ROMs of the Krause catalogues for coins and banknotes along with a gift - a Polar Bear coin from Canada, it triggered me into acquiring a few banknotes as well as coins. As one of us mentioned above, I also go for extremely fine or uncirculated grade, although I have no idea how to preserve coins in their pristine mint form over years as yet... I think I shall share my first few acquisitions here too, I only have a few items now as most of my money goes towards Commonwealth stamps :)

I like collecting stamps so much that I feared that I may get distracted by the initial infatuation with coins and banknotes (as I've seen quite a few stamp collectors lose it when they get into paper money and all) but I guess I realized that I am still 'collecting Commonwealth' as such, which is what I've been doing over many years, just that I include coins and banknotes too now :D
Hong Kong 1959

South Africa 1952

Safi

Post by Safi »

Isle of Man 1839 Copper Milled Farthing

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

I like the design on classic banknotes.

I am breaking down a collection of pre-war Australia now, and scanned these 2 for my Rarity Page.

LOVELY designs!

The £1 is near 100 years old now.

Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Safi

Post by Safi »

I'm speechless after seeing the above two banknotes from pre-war Australia, these are lovely and so fresh and fine.

robster

Post by robster »

Perhaps the one on the left was used to buy the one on the right.!

alexquek
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by alexquek »

I collect banknotes and coins as well as stamps, because I inherited my Fathers's collections! I do not know anything about collecting and started to check out with Dealers, catalogues, internet on the value or worth as I intend to sell them.

But after some time, I realised that I got struck with the collecting bug and started collecting and even wanting to help my Father to complete his collections which he was unable to do so when he was alive!

That was a few years back and now I am stuck with more of the stuffs that I was supposed to sell in the first place :wink: !
Best regards
Alex Quek

tomd

Post by tomd »

I had started collecting United States pocket change with my dad when I was very young, early 1960's. I still collect pocket change and would have made my dad proud of all the holes that I have been able to fill. Sad to say alot more to go. When I was in the Navy I had gotten coins from the ports that I would visit, but gave them to my brother-in-law so he could have a father son legacy.

At present I still collect United States and Canadian coins. I also have a few coins from around the world.

internaut

Post by internaut »

I inherited small collections of both coins and stamps from my father and banknotes from my grandfather.
I just continued with them.

One day, I noticed some attractive patterns on the local bus tickets and I started collecting them as well, until my brother decided to collect them.(He hijacked mine)

MrSamoa
Our Stampboards **MILLIONAIRE!**
Our Stampboards **MILLIONAIRE!**

Post by MrSamoa »

I started stamp collecting at about 7 or 8 years of age. My uncle was a world traveler and gave me stamps and coins. I've continued accumulating foreign coins. I have given them to my 12 year old son who enjoys organizing and researching the people and places.
Fellowship of Samoa Specialists is not just for specialists: http://www.samoaexpress.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Marty

Rob1956

Post by Rob1956 »

I used to collect coins along with stamps, now I spend some of my free time building my stamp collection. Though I am still interested in coins. The closest I am to spending on coins is buying my partner proof ½ ounce and 1 ounce silver coins on Australian native birds.
Australian Commonwealth Collectors Club of NSW. Member ACCC of NSW

mmissinglink

Post by mmissinglink »

Only very recently have I started to have an interest in coins. I have had very occasional interest in stamps since my teens but recently, since my work related injury which has kept me at home quite a lot, my interest in stamps has also perked.

I enjoy the historical aspects of both stamps and coins as well as the remote or small chance (fantasy perhaps) of potentially coming across a stamp or coin that I might find or inadvertently buy, that is scarce or perhaps somewhat valuable. I also do enjoy the craftsmanship and design work of many coins/medals and stamps.
In some ways we are not so different.

Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

I don't see how anyone can not like coins... Of course, that's not to say that everyone collects them per se.

Personally, I've generally chosen coins over stamps in the past - they're cheaper, there's more variety, there's a more finite range to collect and I know more people ("in real life") who collect them than stamps. Plus they also feel more substantial in-hand and condition, while important, is less of an issue.

Most of my stuff is Belgian - and it is noticeable that there are far fewer types of Belgian coins than stamps. Nevertheless, this is one of my favourites (condition aside) - it's a plated ("fake") Denarius from the Roman Republican period...

Collection themes: Belgium and colonies; Vichy France and colonies; Katanga;
Topics: African independence issues.

mmissinglink

Post by mmissinglink »

Neat fake...what about fake Lydian coins...are there any out there?
In some ways we are not so different.

dptashny

Post by dptashny »

I think I need to say why I collect stamps, not why I collect coins! I collected coins before I collected stamps, and I still focus more on coin collecting than on stamp collecting. If anyone wants to see my coin collection, I would be more than happy to show it. Here is a nice sample (click to enlarge as usual):

Hungary - 1 Korona - Franz Joseph I

ImageImage

Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

dptashny wrote:If anyone wants to see my coin collection, I would be more than happy to show it.
Sounds good and it would make a good thread! Are you an Austro-Hungarian collector then? Must admit that they're not a legion, certainly in the UK/Belgium!

dptashny

Post by dptashny »

Ha ha, I don't specialize in Austro-Hungary. I don't know WHAT I specialize in, I just like everything! :lol: I try to keep some normality by collecting just Europe, European colonies, and the Sinosphere. That alone is a huge number of coins, plus I break that rule sometimes.

However, Germany and the German area is one of my favorite areas to collect, which is why I have many Austro-Hungarian coins.

Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

Yep, I know the feeling! I started off doing *strictly* Belgium and German occupied Europe. A couple of years later, I've ended up with George III of England, French argent de nécessité from the 20s and sizeable chunks of Africa. And the 19th century. Frankly it doesn't bear much thinking about!

Would still be interested in seeing a bit of your collection though! That said, I know how irritating it is scanning and editing it all. Rather more effort than stamps anyway!

hutch

Post by hutch »

I have had a bit of a chuckle over Belisarius and dptashny's comments. Isn't that exactly what we all end up doing?

Most of us start with a certain theme in mind!....it never is going to end there! As alexquek said back in Nov 2013....

"But after some time, I realised that I got struck with the collecting bug and started collecting and even wanting to help my Father to complete his collections which he was unable to do so when he was alive!

That was a few years back and now I am stuck with more of the stuffs that I was supposed to sell in the first place !"

Oh dear...let's just be grateful that we don't all collect washing machines, or lawn mowers, or combine harvesters....there are known to be collectors out there!

I think I will stick to the coins and stamps! Even though I am running out of space for my stamps, I still have more room for them than I would for another washing machine!...now I wonder how I could use that machine for storage?

We just love collecting don't we!

hutch

hutch

Post by hutch »

And Belisarius, it is NEVER too irritating to show off your collection! Scanning doesn't take long.

Everyone loves to look at someone elses collection.

I will look upon your collection, if you decide to show it, with much pleasure and envy as I will not have most of the ones you have!

It just encourages us to keep collecting and maybe one day, complete at least one country!

Both you and dptashny need to post up some photos here ASAP.

Looking forward to seeing what you have!

hutch

Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

Thank you for your kind words, Hutch.

I've followed you advice. A bit of my collection is up here!

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=54957

Will add more later!

billw2

Post by billw2 »

I put together a complete set of Barber Half Dollars (US 1892-1915) all graded by PCGS and most CAC'd.

I did them all in VF, and I did it in a year. I made nearly half of them from raw coins. I sold the set 3 years ago and am slowly working on another set.

Mid-grade Barbers are very very tough, they either seem to exist (in mass quantities) in G or worse and finding them in AU or better isn't too tough, but VF-XF with original surfaces? Real challenging.

I like challenges :)

I also play with standing liberty quarters and I'm working on raw, circ, matched sets of walking liberty halves and morgan dollars (the Morgans are all "circ cameo" mid grades. Some of which are quite scarce in true circulated condition)

I also have a set of "low ball" walking liberty halves that I'm doing just to be a smarty pants.

ewen s

Post by ewen s »

billw2 wrote:I also have a set of "low ball" walking liberty halves that I'm doing just to be a smarty pants.
I might well be the only bloke here who has no idea what you're on about.

What is a walking liberty half?

billw2

Post by billw2 »

ewen s wrote:
billw2 wrote:I also have a set of "low ball" walking liberty halves that I'm doing just to be a smarty pants.
I might well be the only bloke here who has no idea what you're on about.

What is a walking liberty half?
1916-1947 US Half Dollar. Widely considered to be one of the most beautiful US Coins.

Tome

Post by Tome »

Yes I collect coins, and stamps now, collecting them are so much alike in many ways:

They both represent there country
They both have flaws that generate a greater interest
They both are priced according to there mintage/rarity
They both come in either decimal or pre-decimal
They both are a small item that takes up little room
They both have a story to tell according to there creation
They both are a work of art that are beautiful to look at

I am sure you could add a few more reasons why anyone would want to collect these beautiful little items :)

rainydaystamps
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by rainydaystamps »

I well and truly have the collecting gene and think I could quite easily become interested in collecting just about anything. When I was younger I dabbled in coins but it's always been stamps I've come back to.

Just this week I wrote a blog article about why I think this might be. For me it really comes down to stamps being miniature works of art; stamps giving a detailed picture of history and stamps being so compact and lightweight.

Eli
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Eli »

Hi, first time I enter the coins and banknotes forum. I am mainly a philatelist collecting the stamps of Laos, monkeys on stamps and mythologies of the world on stamps. I also collecting banknotes (and coins) of Laos and those depicting monkeys. I started to collect banknotes depicting mythological legends, but have few.

Here I post several banknotes and several coins from my monkey collection. In contrary to the thousands of monkey stamps issued, about 30 banknotes depicting monkeys were issued (as far as I know). I have most of them:

Brasil:

Costa Rica:

Zaire:

Uganda: (This banknote have been chosen as the most beautiful note for year 2010 by the IBNS):

Uganda:

Gibraltar:

Congo:

Uganda:

birdmanOz
100 Thousand Club - Addicted Stamp Poster!
100 Thousand Club - Addicted Stamp Poster!

Post by birdmanOz »

I have stopped collecting coins, though I still check all the ones I get in change (and banknotes too) in case something rare shows up.

The mint here in Australia have put out too many issues for me to keep up with, and many have 5 or 6 mintmarks stamped on, so getting one of each new issue is extremely costly. Then you get some issues only available in a set, so that's more cost.

Every now and the I'll go to a bank and get a few bagfuls of coins and take them home to 'noodle' through (noodling is akin to fossicking) Best Australian coins to do this with are the 50c and $1.00 coins. The bank's coin machine bags are in $200 lots for 50's - so that's 400 coins - whilst the $1's are in bags of 500.

Then when you are finished you simply re-deposit them - but not at the same place you get them from!!

The dollar coin has many issues that weren't released into general circulation starting from the Barcelona Olympics in 1992, and every now and then one will show up.

People give up on collecting and just throw them back into circulation, or they were unwanted gifts etc.

The key $1 coin is the mule from 2000 where a 10c die on the Queen's head side was mistakenly used. These have a slightly thicker rim edge than usual, though it is quite subtle (and I've not yet found one of these ...)

The 2001 $1 Federation had a loose die and it rotated during the minting process, and you can get coins 'upset' to varying degrees through the full 360.

The 2010 standard coat of arms 50c coin is similar, though it was locked in the one position due to the dodecagonal shape. When you hold one upright in your fingertips and twirl it around you'll notice the other side is tilted.
I collect bird stamps

sp00nybi11

Post by sp00nybi11 »

Eli wrote:Hi, first time I enter the coins and banknotes forum. I am mainly a philatelist collecting the stamps of Laos, monkeys on stamps and mythologies of the world on stamps. I also collecting banknotes (and coins) of Laos and those depicting monkeys. I started to collect banknotes depicting mythological legends, but have few.

Here I post several banknotes and several coins from my monkey collection. In contrary to the thousands of monkey stamps issued, about 30 banknotes depicting monkeys were issued (as far as I know). I have most of them:

Brasil:

Costa Rica:

Zaire:

Uganda: (This banknote have been chosen as the most beautiful note for year 2010 by the IBNS):

Uganda:

Gibraltar:

Congo:

Uganda:

These are awesome! Thanks for sharing your monkey banknotes with us Eli! :D

I do not collect coins except when I first moved to the U.S. I noticed that there were different quarters for different states and that's when I started collecting the state quarters and it was pretty easy and inexpensive to collect. I managed to get all 50 states within 1 or 2 years :) Since then I have bought an album to house them in and there were extra slots for some of the other islands and I have all of those also except for one (U.S. Virgin Islands) which has been eluding me for a while since I started using my credit card for most things instead of cash :mrgreen:

Now I've noticed they have also started issuing quarters of national parks and I have already amassed 11 different ones of these.

Greek

Post by Greek »

I also do a bit of coin collecting in addition to stamps. Usually, just change from places that I visited. However, around 1976 I got interested in collecting coins from the US mint due to the bicentennial. Since then I purchase a coin or two from the mint and some of the National Park issues and the Presidential dollar coins. I plan to use these as gifts to the grandchildren.

Greek

Post by Greek »

I also have come upon some old Greece banknotes...drachmas...doubt they are worth anything...

Return to “Coins, Banknotes, tokens, medals and all things NUMISMATIC!”