Punctuation error: British 50p Brexit coin. Right or wrong?

A *LARGE* percentage of stamp collectors also collect various numismatic areas. This is YOUR little corner of the board to ask questions, seek advice, check values, and chat. Please join in!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Rigs
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Punctuation error: British 50p Brexit coin. Right or wrong?

Post by Rigs »

UK's new 50 pence coin to commemorate Brexit
Noticed this article about the above coin:

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/other-industries/ox ... 46ac98e151

The new Brexit coin has sparked fury after being released without the proper punctuation.

Marking the UK’s exit from the European Union, the historic 50p piece was ordered by Chancellor of the Exchequer Sajid Javid.

It reads: “Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations” and carries the date of “31 January 2020”.

However, social media users have been quick to point out the lack of an Oxford comma after the word prosperity.

For those who aren’t experts in punctuation, an Oxford comma is used in a list after the second last item. For example: butcher, baker, and candlestick maker.

However, many believe the Oxford comma is redundant and many news outlets — news.com.au included — don’t use it.

His Dark Materials author Philip Pullman tweeted: “The ‘Brexit’ 50p coin is missing an Oxford comma, and should be boycotted by all literate people.”

The Times literary supplement editor Stig Abell added: “Not perhaps the only objection, but the lack of a comma after ‘prosperity’ is killing me.”

However I thought the punctuation is correct - the second last word shouldn't have a comma (i.e. before the 'and', according to my humble Castle Hill Public School education)?
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Punctuation error in British Brexit coin - right or wron

Post by Global Administrator »

Dopey Brits, what would they know about the English Language?! :lol: :lol:

None of the self-appointed Brains Trust Pommie Pedants have pointed out there is no full stop at the end.

So it is not a formal sentence anyway.

In which case, there does not strictly need to be a comma after PEACE.

Lazy Test messaging has taken over the language. :roll:

In English and many other languages, the first word of a written sentence has a capital letter. At the end of the sentence there is a full stop or full point (American: 'period').

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentence

It is just a hollow, false and meaningless and insincere slogan. Whoever approved it in the first place? "Friendship to all Nations" ?????

As of last Xmas, mega 1,000s of British sailors, soldiers, airmen and Royal Marines were deployed in operations over the globe.

They were and still are, deployed in multiple continents on 35 operations in 30 countries across the globe, from Somalia to South Sudan, from Ukraine to Estonia. "Friendship to all Nations" ????? Gunboat Buddies.
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
fromdownunder
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by fromdownunder »

it'S, lovely, to, see, people, worried, about, the, real, issues, like commas, bendy bananas and Blue Passports, and not worrying about the trivia.

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain
DJM
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by DJM »

The 'and' replaces a comma AFAIC....

D.
Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Note to Royal Mint. I have some of these to spare...................................
........................................................................................................
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, lighthouses, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !
satsuma
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Re: Punctuation error: British 50p Brexit coin. Right or wro

Post by satsuma »

Well, if you want to get truly pedantic, it could also be argued that the "p" in the middle of prosperity should have a tail just like the "p" in friendship.

Tsk, tsk(,) and tsk.
muruk
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by muruk »

The Oxford comma is a matter of style, not of rule.

The mint is at liberty to use it, or not.

Nothing to see here, move along.
A man might as well marry ... if he finds a good wife he will be happy ... if not, he will become a philosopher.
Collecting Greater New Guinea & Macropods (Kangaroos & Wallabies).
thecloudwatcher
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by thecloudwatcher »

muruk wrote:The Oxford comma is a matter of style, not of rule.

The mint is at liberty to use it, or not.

Nothing to see here, move along.
Couldn't agree more.
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

satsuma wrote:Well, if you
want to get truly pedantic, it could also be argued that the "p" in the middle of prosperity should have a tail just like the "p" in friendship.

Tsk, tsk(,) and tsk.
Sorry, no that’s not correct.

The tail on the ‘p’ you refer to adds visual balance and ‘weight’.

The fact that it varies from the other ‘p’ is nothing unusual from a typographic perspective.

Having a look at anything by the famous typographer Herb Lubalin will illustrate these concepts.

What is a howler, though, is the missing full stop.

And for me the Oxford comma argument is stupid.
Parisboy
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Parisboy »

The "Oxford comma" was certainly new to me. We were always taught not to put a comma before "and."

Chris.
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Some egghead Remoaner, trying for their fifteen minutes of fame, I suspect.

Never came across this "rule" in 30 years.

This coin is a better reminder of "what a bunch of hand jobs the EU really is"....
(There's a tad of irony that this coin has been in the doldrum for 47 years, but is now being rolled out as a commemorative!!).
OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

There probably wasn't room to add "apart from bad folks"!
norvic

Post by norvic »

ViccyVFU wrote:Some egghead Remoaner, trying for their fifteen minutes of fame, I suspect.

Never came across this "rule" in 30 years.
I was never in publishing or writing profesionnally and I always used what I now know to be the Oxford comma. Perhaps that comes from going to a grammar school until 1964.

When writing on a US forum the lead moderator and professional writer and broadcaster privately praised my punctuation and use of the comma compared to most of his compatriots and many publishing style guides.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock before Royal Mail burn them all, singles, booklets, booklet panes, regionals - lists here: or email/DM your general needs and I'll let you know whether it's worth sending a wants list.
OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Yes, the "Oxford comma" has generally fallen out of use these days. Of course, different versions of English will have different "rules".

I remember our daughter being criticized by an American lecturer for putting a "." after a quote rather than inside them.

Apparently this was an American thing dating from the "hard print" era when these could easily fall off!

(Obviously we took out a formal complaint!).
norvic

Post by norvic »

Well the '.' goes inside or outside the quote depending on context.

"There's punctuation all over the place here."

"Well, as my granny would have said, "A blind man would be pleased to see it.", he replied. OR

He replied, "Well, as my granny would have said, "A blind man would be pleased to see it.".

The latter having the full stop to complete granny's sentence, and another to complete 'his' sentence.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock before Royal Mail burn them all, singles, booklets, booklet panes, regionals - lists here: or email/DM your general needs and I'll let you know whether it's worth sending a wants list.
satsuma

Post by satsuma »

OldDuffer1 wrote:Yes, the "Oxford comma" has generally fallen out of use these days. Of course, different versions of English will have different "rules".
There was a lawsuit in Maine settled in 2018 for US$5 million due to the lack of an Oxford comma, leading to differing opinions as to what was actually meant.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/02/08/oxford-comma-lawsuit/320944002/
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

satsuma wrote:
OldDuffer1 wrote:Yes, the "Oxford comma" has generally fallen out of use these days. Of course, different versions of English will have different "rules".
There was a lawsuit in Maine settled in 2018 for US$5 million due to the lack of an Oxford comma, leading to differing opinions as to what was actually meant.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/02/08/oxford-comma-lawsuit/320944002/
In legalese, its easy to see the differentiator between these two examples.

The Maine lawsuit was about a picklist, and the lack of comma makes it ambiguous whether the last two were one option, or two.

The 50p case is a "we wish you all", so the comma is not necessary.
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

ViccyVFU wrote:
The 50p case is a "we wish you all", so the comma is not necessary.
Huh?
Debbie0517
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by Debbie0517 »

I guess I am the lone dissenter on this thread.

The Oxford comma provides clarification in a sentence. Yes, the coin features a slogan, "Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations." However, this is a list and should have the Oxford comma, whether it is a full sentence or not.

As written, it stands as a salutation "Peace," followed by best wishes for "prosperity and friendship with all nations." If they intend to wish all three things to every nation, it should be written "peace, prosperity, and friendship with all nations."

On a humorous note, here are some examples of missing Oxford commas that appeared in print.

"Among those interviewed were Merle Haggard's two ex-wives, Kris Kristofferson and Robert Duvall." (who knew Merle Haggard had been married to Kris and Robert?"

"This book is dedicated to my parents, Ayn Rand and God." (Wow! This author either has connections or a parent named God."

"Highlights of Peter Ustinovs' global tour include encounters with Nelson Mandela, an 800-year old demigod and a dildo collector." ( the hidden life of Nelson Mandela is rather shocking).
Last edited by Global Administrator on 31 Jan 2020 01:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and "air" to UNJAM it all - always a great idea on all posts on Bulletin Boards!
"Every book is a journey waiting to be taken."
RobRoyH

Post by RobRoyH »

Debbie0517 wrote: "Peace," followed by best wishes for "prosperity and friendship with all nations." If they intend to wish all three things to every nation, it should be written "peace, prosperity, and friendship with all nations."
A tour de force honey!

Illustrations rather than just exposition.

:lol:

Actually though, in keeping with Global Administrators point that the issuing nation does not practice "Peace" to all nations, (nor does my own unfortunately), perhaps the intent WAS to hope only for friendship and prosperity to all.

The punctuation as minted, therefore, is in keeping with the nations colonial and imperial past.

Full disclosure - I pointed out this thread to Debbie, (a senior officer with both the grammar patrol and punctuation police... and a current copy editor for the ISWSC), as I knew she would probably miss it down here in the Coins forum.

I have received many, many, violation citations from my lovely and charming wife over the years. :lol:
"You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace… before I dip the pen in the ink."
G. K. Chesterton
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Debbie0517 wrote:
"Among those interviewed were Merle Haggard's two ex-wives, Kris Kristofferson and Robert Duvall." (who knew Merle Haggard had been married to Kris and Robert?"

"This book is dedicated to my parents, Ayn Rand and God." (Wow! This author either has connections or a parent named God."

"Highlights of Peter Ustinovs' global tour include encounters with Nelson Mandela, an 800-year old demigod and a dildo collector." ( the hidden life of Nelson Mandela is rather shocking).
Fair enough, suddenly I get the need for an Oxford comma with above examples.

However, it would be a mistake to include it in this context?:

"He ate an apple, a banana and an orange for lunch."
OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Nor did we know that Kris Kristofferson and Robert Duvall had had a sex change!
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Her Majesty has made her thoughts known -

Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Global Administrator wrote:Her Majesty has made her thoughts known -

Haha
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Royal Mint had 1500 of these, and they sold out first day at 945 quid a box! Near $A2000 for the Gold Proof in box. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Glen

This was interesting -

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/brexit-coin-50p-roy ... 11206.html

"This isn’t the first time the Royal Mint has made a Brexit coin: in fact, it’s third time lucky.

They had originally planned for 1,000 prototype coins to be launched on 31 March 2019, but this was later pushed back to the exit date of 31 October. However when Britain again failed to successfully leave, the coin was put on hold.

Around one million coins had to be melted down and put aside until a new exit date was confirmed after the general election. "
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Global Administrator wrote:Dopey Brits, what would they know about the English Language?! :lol: :lol:

None of the self-appointed Brains Trust Pommie Pedants have pointed out there is no full stop at the end.

So it is not a formal sentence anyway.

In which case, there does not strictly need to be a comma after PEACE.

Lazy Test messaging has taken over the language. :roll:

In English and many other languages, the first word of a written sentence has a capital letter. At the end of the sentence there is a full stop or full point (American: 'period').

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentence
Boris read my message, and then Summonsed in the Royal Mint Master and told him to re-issue the thing with FULL STOPS this time.

He mailed me the first copy of the new mint run -
FairyFoot
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by FairyFoot »

Received my first Brexit coin today in change. I'm on the side of the Oxford comma.
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I muse on letters and stamps at correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk. I have a forum, A World of Snail Mail. I need to collect "Welt der Briefe" stamps from Deutsche Post.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Added a piece on these to my current Stamp magazine columns -

https://glenstephens.com/snmarch20.html

Glen

Return to “Coins, Banknotes, tokens, medals and all things NUMISMATIC!”