Colour variation in these 1954 Hong Kong QE2 stamps?

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Doc Rog
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Colour variation in these 1954 Hong Kong QE2 stamps?

Post by Doc Rog »

Hello at Stampboards,

I have a problem with colour variation in the Hong Kong QEII ten cent stamp which is not described in the general catalogues. It is much more obvious than in the scans - a bright magenta compared to the dull lilac listed.

There is colour variation in the 50 cent stamp, but I think this is due to leaching of dye out of the paper on which it was stuck when soaking it off (done by a previous owner), as it is patchy.

But I did wonder if dye could leach out of the stamp ink, as the colouration of the white areas of the stamp is of similar hue to the ink of the stamp itself.

Many thanks for your help.

Roger
Attachments
Hong Kong colur variation 2.jpg
Last edited by Global Administrator on 18 Oct 2020 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Expanded rather vague heading, to make sense to members and moved to CORRECT Forum. PLEASE read Rule 10 re totally pointess headings.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Colour variation in these 1954 Hong Kong QE2 stamps?

Post by Global Administrator »

To collect these kinds of stamps that were printed on different papers etc, one needs catalogues.

Gibbons clearly list the both 10c stamps you show at 10p apiece -- i.e. landfill basically - that is literally a handling charge as both are exceedingly common.

Buy a SG Commonwealth cat if you collect these areas, as these things are listed and priced. ESSENTIAL to own. :idea:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Doc Rog

Re: Colour variation in these 1954 Hong Kong QE2 stamps?

Post by Doc Rog »

Thank-you for your response. I do have a Gibbons British Commonwealth catalogue, and I just didn't think to look there. I apologise.

I'll try to avoid such a situation in future.

Roger

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”