Aust. Gutter pairs, do you prefer with or without sheet numbers?

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

agaosi
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Aust. Gutter pairs, do you prefer with or without sheet numbers?

Post by agaosi »

Do you collect gutter pairs?

If so do you prefer gutter pairs with or without sheet numbers printed in the gutter, and why?
Last edited by Global Administrator on 14 Jan 2021 08:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Expanded totally vague heading, to make sense to members

fromdownunder
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Re: Gutter pairs, with or without sheet numbers?

Post by fromdownunder »

A quick sample of Gutters giving some, but not all examples of what might be found in a gutter. They are certainly not inclusive of all the possibilities, although the second scan covers both options (sort of)

Please include scans in future posts where questions like this are asked..

These are gutters:

And so are these:

More gutters.

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain

agaosi

Post by agaosi »

fromdownunder wrote: ↑
13 Jan 2021 20:28
A quick sample of Gutters giving some, but not all examples of what might be found in a gutter. They are certainly not inclusive of all the possibilities, although the second scan covers both options (sort of)

Please include scans in future posts where questions like this are asked..

These are gutters:

And so are these:

More gutters.

Norm
Sorry Norm for not adding any images.

The 2nd set, the 5c Australia gutter pairs is exactly what I was talking about, here there are two sets, one with a sheet number in the gutter and another without a sheet number. Has anyone got any comments as to which they prefer and why?

RevRed+
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by RevRed+ »

Hi. I don't collect gutter pairs - life is too short, but, having said that, if I came across any I would hold on to them. As such, and answering only for the gutters with or without numbers, as displayed above, I would prefer the ones with a number. Can't really say why, possibly they are rarer? :ugeek:

AMark
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Aust. Gutter pairs, do you prefer with or without sheet numbers?

Post by AMark »

Hi agaosi,

I do like gutters and selvages attached to stamps with sheet numbers. :D My preference is to have them on covers and/or postcards. If that does not apply, I like used stamps along with gutters and/or selvages. Finally, I like them attached to mint stamps. :D

I hope that my answer will assist you in making a decision in your collecting dilemma. :D However, it's your collection and you should decide what you like or dislike in your collection. Collect what you want to collect and that will bring you joy. :D

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

RevRed+ wrote: ↑
14 Jan 2021 08:37

Hi. I don't collect gutter pairs - life is too short, but, having said that, if I came across any I would hold on to them. As such, and answering only for the gutters with or without numbers, as displayed above, I would prefer the ones with a number. Can't really say why, possibly they are rarer? :ugeek:
The Soil and medical sheets were in columns of 10 and the sheet number was only in one place on each sheet, so they are 10 times less common than a pair without the sheet number. The other thing about this stamp is that the panes each contained only one of the designs, so the only way to get a joined pair was with a gutter pair.

And the ones I showed have both varieties - thick gutter lines and thin gutter lines. Can't remember which one is more difficult to find.

As a result, they are one of those Australian decimal oddities that are still worth a big premium above face value - still about $8 - 10 for an unfolded pair and about half that for a folded pair and at the height of the boom they were selling for $30.00. Original cost 10 cents of course. Again, I don't know if a sheet number attracts a premium, but paired FDC's are difficult and are more expensive.

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”