What are these old stamps worth?

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

pugalug
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

What are these old stamps worth?

Post by pugalug »

I have an old book of stamps ... and there are more ...

Attachments
stamps4.JPG
Last edited by Global Administrator on 03 May 2021 21:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Expanded totally lazy 4 word near meaningless lower case heading, centred images, added spacing, loaded them correctly, and turned it into a QUESTION of some kind, and moved to correct Forum.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: What are these old stamps worth?

Post by Global Administrator »

''What are these blurry, fuzzy, lazy, totally uncropped images from a cellphone worth?''

When you bother to add some decent images, then members can probably assist.

Admin

pugalug

Post by pugalug »

Are you talking to me about blurry etc.

pugalug

Post by pugalug »

stamps4.JPG
stamps3.JPG
stamps2.JPG
stamps.JPG

satsuma
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by satsuma »

Pugalug, any stamp's value depends on:

Condition,
Scarcity, and
Demand.

From your images we can see that many are damaged either because they are incomplete or badly stained.

Those ones will have zero value unless they are either an extremely scarce printing or have rare flaws.

The rest may have some small value but your images lack enough resolution or detail for confident advice.

Any modern phone camera should be able to take a full screen picture of just one or two stamps.

Try that on a stamp that has no missing corners or perforations, load the image up and we may be able to give better advice.

If you want good advice you need to prepare images of enough quality that they can be assessed properly.

From what I can see now, I would only be able to advise that you chuck the whole lot in the rubbish bin.

There might be something worth salvaging but from what you have supplied it's impossible to tell.

I took this on my phone, you should be able to do at least this well.
3d kangaroos
3d kangaroos

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

pugalug wrote:
03 May 2021 21:37
Are you talking to me about blurry etc.

Yes, he is talking to you.

This is generally a very helpful and friendly board, but you really need to meet people half way. :mrgreen:

First, I suggest you read the rules - yes, there are plenty of them, but they are all there for a reason. :idea:

Secondly, I suggest you find a better way of taking images than apparently waving your phone about at the end of your arm in a howling gale.

If people are going to give up their valuable time to assist you in assessing your stamps, it's the least you can do to provide clear images of those stamps. Would you value a house or a car based on the images you provided? ;)

Thirdly, welcome to Stampboards and I hope you get the help you need. :D

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

pugalug, you need to be advised of several things.

Firstly, pretty well every stamp you have scanned are very common, and worth only cents at best. In addition, some of them are badly damaged with chunks of each missing, some look stained are and are totally worthless, or to put it as politely as possible, ferret cage liner.

So,the reason that extremely high quality close up scans are required is that some of them do have a few quite rare varieties, which must be seen and analysed through close up neat and clear scans of each, because without a close and careful view of these stamps it is impossible to tell whether or not they have the nuanced varieties that can add value to any of these individual stamps.

So seeing quality scans is not for our benefit - it is so the experts on the Board with these stamps can actually see them and tell you if they are worth anything.

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain

Brit-Col
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Brit-Col »

I don’t mean to pile on but honestly the best thing you can do is save yourself and everyone else any further trouble and toss that album in the trash.

Look at the cover! It is obviously water stained, indicative that the album has been stored (if that’s the word) in wet conditions which are absolute murder for stamps. All that staining is evIdence of the damage that has been done.

With respect to the posters above saying there might be scarce varieties within the mix - anything is possible but what is the likelihood of such being in a beginning collector’s album of cheap and common stamps? You have a better chance of being struck by lightening.

Life’s too short. Move on to better prospects is my advice.

BC
Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from poor judgment.

AMark
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by AMark »

pugalug,

I wouldn't toss it just yet. ;)

Show us better images of stamps from USA, Canada, Australia and States, Great Britain, and China. Possibly, Russia, France and Brazil? But once we see what you have for the first four countries mentioned above, experts will give you their opinion and you will know what you have.

If you decide that the stamp album is of no interest to you, give it away for free to someone that will want to salvage some of the stamps for their collection. Pay it Forward!

Cheers!
It does pay if you are humble and kind.
Cover Exchange Celebrating 10th Anniversary!
May 2021 Cover Exchange Participant List ..... OR .... May 2021 Postcard Exchange Participant List

Catweazle
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Catweazle »

Brit-Col wrote:
04 May 2021 11:36
I don’t mean to pile on but honestly the best thing you can do is save yourself and everyone else any further trouble and toss that album in the trash.
You'd be surprised what something like this would get in auction over on eBay, especially if you add the word ESTATE into the listing title. Red-hot bidding bunnies go wild for stuff like this, mould or no mould :lol: Strange, I know. But there you have it.

steevh

Post by steevh »

Catweazle wrote:
06 May 2021 19:07
Brit-Col wrote:
04 May 2021 11:36
You'd be surprised what something like this would get in auction over on eBay, especially if you add the word ESTATE into the listing title. Red-hot bidding bunnies go wild for stuff like this, mould or no mould :lol: Strange, I know. But there you have it.
Indeed, and the fuzzy image which gives you no clue as to how trashed the stamps are is perfect for drawing in those eBay bunnies!

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”