Is this a postcard or a bookmark?

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Dustyhoard
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Is this a postcard or a bookmark?

Post by Dustyhoard »

I bought a job lot of vintage postcards recently and it included this thing pictured below. It's half the size of a standard postcard.

At first I thought it was just a novelty postcard but the previous owner/dealer has pencilled "bookmark" on the back and there's no obvious place to add a stamp.

Plus it seems a little small to go through the postal system of course. On the other hand, there are lines printed on the card as though for an address, so I'm a bit puzzled and am not sure where I should put it in my collection.

Under postcards or with my (very small) collection of bookmarks.

Venetian "bookmark" front
Venetian "bookmark" front
Venetian "bookmark" back
Venetian "bookmark" back
Last edited by Global Administrator on 26 Jun 2021 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: "AddSspace" button used as it always should be before images. Added pat and air and spacing too.

nigelc
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Re: Is this a postcard or a bookmark?

Post by nigelc »

I wonder if it's a postcard that has had its top part removed (perhaps after damage)?
Nigel

Dustyhoard

Post by Dustyhoard »

nigelc wrote:
17 May 2021 08:07
I wonder if it's a postcard that has had its top part removed (perhaps after damage)?
Ahhh, yes, thank you! I'm peering at it closely now and the top edge doesn't look quite as neat as the other three. So it looks like it's been decapitated. :?

GraniteSA
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by GraniteSA »

http://www.chicagopostcardmuseum.org/glossary_of_postcard_terms.html

Chicago Postcard Museum

Bookmarks - Postcards in a bookmark shape. Not usually over two inches wide but length has been found in various sizes.
Cheers
Neville

Collector of Southern Fleurieu Peninsula postmarks and postcards etc.

Number-O-Ne
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by Number-O-Ne »

These are of unusual dimensions, but real postcards. Here is a link to our "cousin" Italian forum. Even if you don't understand the language, pictures are self explanatory

https://www.lafilatelia.it/forum/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=61975

Membership may be required to see the images. I remembered after writing the message. Will try to add some screenshots.

Number-O-Ne

Post by Number-O-Ne »

Here are a few. I hope will be enough to give an idea.

Screenshot_20210516-184222_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210516-184300_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210516-184406_Samsung Internet.jpg

AMark
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by AMark »

I was trying to find/research information about the ½ sized postcard from Italy and found some of the images posted above. However, I could not find any information why these postcards were printed ½ the size of a normal postcard.

So, is there any information why these were printed ½ the size of a normal postcard? :)
It does pay if you are humble and kind.
Cover Exchange Celebrating 10th Anniversary!
July 2021 Cover Exchange Participant List ..... OR .... July 2021 Postcard Exchange Participant List

AdmiralCollector
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by AdmiralCollector »

It seems that what is being discussed here is known in English as a Book Post Card – at least those are the words printed on the one shown below. Apparently, they were to be used as bookmarks by the recipients – hence the long, narrow shape. Book post cards were fairly popular in Britain for a short time in the early part of the 20th century. From the ones shown here, it appears they existed in Italy too.

Pictured below is a Book Post Card from Canada. It is 136 mm X 48 mm (5.3 in. X 1.9 in.) Sent from Almonte, Ontario, Aug 9, 1912, to Toronto.

For some reason, Book Post Cards never caught on in Canada. That is probably for the best, since, according to postal regulations, they were under the minimum height of 2 ¼ inches, and therefore could not be mailed at the 1¢ post card rate. Consequently, Canadian book post cards that have actually been used as they were intended to be used, are seldom seen.

Book-Post-Card-a.jpg
Book-Post-Card-b.jpg

Dustyhoard

Post by Dustyhoard »

Ah, thank you everyone, for the additional information. So yes it looks like my card in my opening post isn't just a damaged postcard after all. I'd already changed my mind about that actually due to the picture on it--if there had been a top half it surely could have been nothing but sky which would have made for an oddly imbalanced image!

AMark

Post by AMark »

AdmiralCollector wrote:
18 May 2021 09:27
It seems that what is being discussed here is known in English as a Book Post Card – at least those are the words printed on the one shown below. Apparently, they were to be used as bookmarks by the recipients – hence the long, narrow shape. Book post cards were fairly popular in Britain for a short time in the early part of the 20th century. From the ones shown here, it appears they existed in Italy too.

Pictured below is a Book Post Card from Canada. It is 136 mm X 48 mm (5.3 in. X 1.9 in.) Sent from Almonte, Ontario, Aug 9, 1912, to Toronto.

For some reason, Book Post Cards never caught on in Canada. That is probably for the best, since, according to postal regulations, they were under the minimum height of 2 ¼ inches, and therefore could not be mailed at the 1¢ post card rate. Consequently, Canadian book post cards that have actually been used as they were intended to be used, are seldom seen.

AdmiralCollector,

Great information about the Book Post Card! :)

Is the above Book Post Card part of your collection?

If so, it looks great! :) It depicts the Stone Bridge located in Almonte, ON Canada.

My next project/pursuit is to add one of these postcards to my collection. :)

Cheers!
It does pay if you are humble and kind.
Cover Exchange Celebrating 10th Anniversary!
July 2021 Cover Exchange Participant List ..... OR .... July 2021 Postcard Exchange Participant List

chippin
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by chippin »

Here are a couple from New Zealand featuring actresses of the time.

Book Card_1A_pic.jpg
Book Card_2A_pic.jpg

And the other side of one of the cards
Book Card_2_pic_rev.jpg

AdmiralCollector

AMark wrote:
25 May 2021 08:23

AdmiralCollector,
Great information about the Book Post Card! :)
Is the above Book Post Card part of your collection?
If so, it looks great! :) It depicts the Stone Bridge located in Almonte, ON Canada.
My next project/pursuit is to add one of these postcards to my collection. :)
Cheers!

Yes, it is part of my collection.
I've had it so long that I can't remember where I got it.
Good luck on finding one for your collection.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Dustyhoard wrote:
25 May 2021 07:23
Ah, thank you everyone, for the additional information. So yes it looks like my card in my opening post isn't just a damaged postcard after all. I'd already changed my mind about that actually due to the picture on it--if there had been a top half it surely could have been nothing but sky which would have made for an oddly imbalanced image!
Also the central line should have gone to at least the edge of the half-card, whereas it is apparently well-balanced.

Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Not looking at all threads. If you need an answer please quote my post or use board email. What I post is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff'. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

AdmiralCollector

chippin wrote:
25 May 2021 09:38

Image[/centre]
Interesting how the words BOOK POST are crossed out, and P. M. is written above.
I assume P. M. stands for Printed Matter, but does anyone know how that would get around minimum post card sizes and/or the rate paid to mail the card?

Number-O-Ne

Post by Number-O-Ne »

We all talked about early 20th century, but I found a much later example in one of my boxes looking for something else.

Postally used in 1964, and likely printed around the same time. 15 lire paid PPC for abroad. Not a discounted fee.

Scan 2.jpeg

Scan 4.jpeg

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Bookmark or postcard? Both

As Norvic noted, the printed vertical line in the middle does not reach the top. Printed that way - so it is not a cut-down postcard.

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”