What does "Substituted Cliche" on a stamp mean?

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

blackrom
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

What does "Substituted Cliche" on a stamp mean?

Post by blackrom »

I can't find out what it means using google and its sending me bonkers.. Maybe I'm searching wrong?

But what does "Substituted Cliche" mean?

Kainnikanada
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: What does "Substituted Cliche" on a stamp mean?

Post by Kainnikanada »

Did you use the search function at the bottom of every Stampboards' page? It comes in handy to know that it exists.

All the pundits on Stampboards will soon be providing their spiels on what the meaning of 'substituted cliche" is.

One well-known substituted (no need for a definition) cliche (a position within the printing plate) is the 6d Roo from 1R60 (Right Pane cliche 60).

The printing plate consisted of Upper and Lower plates; each having a left and right pane of 10 rows of 6 cliches (10x6).

Depending on the type of printing process used the term cliche is sometimes used interchangeably with 'electro' and/or 'plate position'.

Check out this thread for some background on one of the numerous Australian substituted cliches:

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25115.
Looking for NSW cut-down relief date stamps, as seen in my avatar, to add to my collection.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

In short, the printer swapped (substituted) a new unit (cliche) into an existing printing plate, because of severe damage to the original position.

The best known in KGV Australia stamps is the 1d Red you bought recently - my photos of that below showing how to pick it. There were 2 units Die 1 and Die 2.

This replaced the 1d Red Rusted Cliche or Pre-Substituted Cliche 2 units which are worth $1000s.

KGV 1d Red Die 2 stamp, "SUBSTITUTED CLICHÉ"
The Die 2 substituted cliché, with postmark well away from the ID factors – the worn down crown top, the larger frame break to right of crown, large white "egg" under emu tail, and rounded corner under the Die 2 spur.

SG 21DB.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

This was Arthur Gray's block of the 1d Red KGV head with PRE-Substitued Cliches ... the lower left 2 units.

The damage famously was done by rats gnawing at the plate when in storage during WW1 or so legend has it!

Sold for $85,000 after the sale. A few folks had sealed offers in for it, me included, as it is a unique block, and I think at $85,000 was great value for the person who offered more than me. :mrgreen:

Description:

ONE PENNY RED COMB PERF SMOOTH PAPER: 1d carmine-red block of 6 [28-30/34-36] with both Rusted (Pre-Substituted) Clichés [34-35] BW #71(2)j & k (SG 21ca), lightly mounted. A highly important item.

The ACSC states at Note 7 on page 4/81 that "Mint examples are very rare..." and that this is the only multiple including both affected units in private hands: Cat $125,000 (£32,000+++). Ex Alec Rosenblum, Rasmussen, Cato, Herbert McNess and Greg Deleuil.

Michael Drury Certificate (2015).

In Geoff Kellow's estimation, "this is the greatest Penny Red item in private hands".
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

blackrom

Post by blackrom »

Thank you!

Some good reading also.. Thank you!

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”