Australian Decimal Currency Postage Rates Compilation

The members ask - the members get. There was a member demand for a STAMP WIKI on this board. Well here we go. All of you so minded can add to your heart's content. The Moderators here can consolidate info into a new post and keep things tidy. They can add 'Stickies' or 'announcements' to be at the top of the Forum.

Moderators: gmoney, kuikka, Kainnikanada, KevinHedley, tonga2, mobbor, Allanswood, PhilipAdams, bazza4338, GUTTERS, johnrcrow, Volunteer Moderator Team

davo
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!

Re: Australian Decimal Postage Rates

Post by davo »

Tracey, Sorry to be a bit of a nuisance but could you please scan the pages in Fraser & Occleshaw to do with Air Mail Labels. It would be most helpful.

Also, do they discuss S(urface) A(ir) L(ifted) labels? If so, please scan these pages also.

Thanks
Davo from Oz

Brads64
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by Brads64 »

Hi Davo,

Not a problem, I'll have it done today.

Cheers Tracy
Shall always be a Covernut.
Postal History site bjbphilatelics.simplesite.com

Brads64

Post by Brads64 »

Hi Davo,

I've only copied the pages relating to small airmail labels, if I had done it all their would be to many pages to put up.

Hope it all helps

Cheers Tracy

Happy to assist :D :D :D :D
Shall always be a Covernut.
Postal History site bjbphilatelics.simplesite.com

davo

Post by davo »

Tracey, Many thanks for the info, it will be most helpful

Regards, Davo
Davo from Oz

torstenweller
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by torstenweller »

Postcard Airmail Rate to New Zealand Increase 1967

Below is a draft correction I have prepared for publication in the next ASP and would appreciate any comments others might have -

An item that has recently come to hand sheds some new light on the confusion surrounding the October 1967 rate increases and suggests that we need to make a correction to our Airmail Postcard Rates Table published in the Australian Stamps Professional article covering 1967-1973 airmail postal rates.

As I wrote in the original article, there was a general increase in surface postal rates on 1 October 1967, and the Australia Post Rates Tables for October 1967 also indicate increases in airmail rates. I further wrote that "there is a lot of evidence in the form of surviving postal articles showing such an increase did not occur then and was not introduced until 1 October 1968".

The item below strongly suggests that the airmail postcard to New Zealand (Zone 1) did increase from 4c to 5c on 1 October 1967, with a 5c Thornbill single franking used to pay the increased rate.

This naturally raises the question whether other airmail rates did in fact also increase on 1 October 1967. From the quantity of airmail letters and postcards I have seen sent to the USA (Zone 4) and Europe (Zone 5) and even the few to Zone 2 and 3 destinations after 1 October 1967 still paying the original 1966 rates, I am confident that these airmail rates did not increase until 1 October 1968 as set out in the Rates Table in the original article.

As for airmail letter rates to New Zealand (Zone 1), the item below strongly suggests that this also did not increase on 1 October 1967. This cover was franked with a 7c Humbug Fish to pay the 7c per 1/2oz Zone 1 airmail rate (being the original 1966 rate) and was taxed because it was overweight. Had the rate increased to 10c per 1/2oz on 1 October 1967, the denominator in the tax endorsement fraction would have been "10" to indicate the base rate that should have been paid.

All of this begs another question: why was the Zone 1 airmail postcard rate increased on 1 October 1967 when all the other airmail rates remained unchanged?

It is perhaps impossible to answer that question categorically, but there is one very good reason why: the domestic letter rate (including postcards, which were sent by airmail within Australia where applicable) increased from 4c to 5c on 1 October 1967 and if the Zone 1 airmail postcard rate had not increased from 4c to 5c also, it would have been 1c cheaper to sent a postcard airmail to New Zealand than to send the same card airmail within Australia!

I think the items above justify us making a correction to the Airmail Postcard Rates Table by changing the date of the increase of the Zone 1 airmail postcard rate to 5c from 1 October 1968 to 1 October 1967.

Airmail Postcard & Greeting Card Rates 1966 - 1973
Per ½ oz Zone 1
Rate effective from:
14 February 1966 $0.04
1 October 1967 $0.05
1 October 1971 $0.08

Does anyone have an airmail letter or postcard to Zone 1 in the period between 1 October 1967 and 1 October 1968 that shows a different rate applying?

By the way, the top item is available for purchase as lot 116 in our current Postal History Auction 7 now up on our website (closing 19 July 2011). The bottom item was offered in a prior auction and has already sold.

ozedavid

Post by ozedavid »

Hello Torsten

Great work! I went back through and looked at the following 25cent and 20cent stamps released between Oct 1967 and Oct 1968 and the notes associated with them from the ACSC:

1967 25c Christmas Released 27th Nov 1967 - Usage: was the (a) airmail rate to the United Kingdom and Europe, (b) the combined Registration and letter rate within Australia and The United Kingdom.

1968 20c World Weather Watch released 20th March 1968 - Usage: (a) The Airmail rate to North America, and (b) the registration Rate.

1968 25c Itelsat II Released 20th March 1968 - Usage: was the (a) airmail rate to the United Kingdom and Europe, (b) the combined Registration and letter rate within Australia and The British Empire.

1968 25c Olympics Released 2nd October 1968 The 1st reference to a 25c stamp paying the Airmail Rate to the USA , Canada and some Asian Countries.

Most of my covers to the USA and Europe do pay the 1966 rate except for 2 covers, however the question I have is that the official Post Office Price sheet shows all the rates changing on 1st October 1967. If you check the Post Office price list from Oct 1 1967 and Oct 1 1968 they are definitely differnet documents - this raises the following questions 1/ Why was the '67 document produced? 2/ If the rates did not change until '68 what happened to the '67 document - was it in fact distributed to the Post Offices?

OzeDavid
OzeDavid
There are good ships, and there are wood ships, the ships that sail the sea.
But the best ships are friendships, and may they always be.

torstenweller

Post by torstenweller »

Here are a couple of items from our current Postal History Auction 8 which illustrate a rather absurd rate anomaly regarding sending postcards to New Zealand -

Australia 1969 (Sept) picture postcard sent airmail to New Zealand with single franking QE2 5c blue paying Zone 1 airmail postcard rate [increased from 4c on 1 October 1967 and to 8c on 1 October 1971]

Australia 1971 (April) picture postcard sent surface mail to New Zealand with single franking 7c Humbug Fish paying British Commonwealth and / or Asia / Oceania surface postcard rate (New Zealand qualified for both)
[the airmail postcard rate to New Zealand was only 5c at this time as shown by the item above, but the sender was obviously unaware that they could have sent this item for 2c less and by airmail to boot!]

Postal History Auction 8 is now available on our auction website https://www.torstenweller.com/auctions featuring over 380+ lots of Australian and Pacific Postal History including material from Australia, Nauru, Norfolk Island and Papua & New Guinea. This time we have included Australian KGV-era and KGVI-period items in addition to the usual offering of QE2 Pre-Decimal and Decimal covers.

Many thanks for allowing me to post a free plug for the Auction here and I hope you might find something of interest in our latest offerings.

PS Ozedavid: I have asked Richard Breckon to do some checking on the 1967 and 1968 Post Office Guides to see if he can find out which rates increased in October 1967 and which increases did not take effect until October 1968.

Kind regards,

Sark
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Re:

Post by Sark »

Didge wrote:U.K Forces Air Mail Concession

This rate is extremely rare. I have scanned the front and back of the only cover that I have.

The following comment is from Rod Perrys Column and was written in 2007

I've (Rod Perry) mentioned before in this column the rare 6c Concessional airmail rate to U.K., available only to U.K. Forces serving in Australia. Of the 1966 6c Bird I've recorded only two such usages, and for the 6c Flower only one. More of these may be found in the U.K., but if so I suspect they will be in tiny numbers only. I feel confident to say this, for a reciprocal arrangement existed in the U.K. for Australian Forces serving therein, and after nearly 20 years of searching I've found only one of the 4½p Concessional airmail rate applicable contemporaneously. The 6 cent Kangaroo Paw, I've valued at $200. Don't be surprised if that valuation is exceeded if someone is fortunate enough to find an example and subsequently submits it to Public auction.

Posts here seem to have slowed up a bit, but I have to say I think everyone and especially Didge have made this one of the most fascinating threads. Globally Australian philately has made a bit of a name for itself in its appreciation and support of modern postal history, the study of rates etc. I was very surprised to see the quote in Didge's post above in relation to valuation of the 6c concession rates so thought I would post a couple of examples including the apparent hens tooth of the rate or should that be Kangaroo's Paw! I also have one example of the pre-decimal rated with a 10d franking (3d for 1st step and 7d for the next step.) though not appropriate to post on this thread.

Are the definitive issues more sort after than the commemorative issues when collecting Decimal Rates? The commems are presumably on issue in normal PO's (as opposed to Philatelic counters etc) for shorter periods so harder to find. What do most folk prefer to collect?

My main area of interest that includes modern era covers is Laos but as with modern Australian my biggest challenge is often finding relatively small envelopes that can be displayed horizontally on standard A4 sized upright album pages. I suppose the alternative is to give in gracefully and mount the whole collection on horizontally laid out pages.

pertinax
Author - 'Best Thread Of All Time' as voted by our members

Post by pertinax »

Is anyone able to confirm the rate for Zone 5 non-standard sized letters 50g to 100g, from 21 April 1982?

I have the respective rates for the other Zones as $1, $1.30, $1.50 and $1.75.

Am I correct in thinking the next Zone up in this 'class' was $2.00 ?

Thanks.....trying to make sense of a cover I have!

Scott
vincit omnia pertinax virtus

dwhopper
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by dwhopper »

Actually not listed as non-standard, just letter over 20 g. And $ 2.00, as surmised is the answer.

pertinax

Post by pertinax »

dwhopper wrote:Actually not listed as non-standard, just letter over 20 g. And $ 2.00, as surmised is the answer.
Thanks.
vincit omnia pertinax virtus

tonga2
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by tonga2 »

I would like to see some postcard rates and examples for the decimal period up to now. Don't think postcard rates have been fully explored in this thread to date (I think I saw a few postcards above, but not a complete list of rates to now)

If anyone has some to show, it would be a nice continuation of this great thread.

Didge
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by Didge »

Sark,

A lovely group of concession covers mate. Very envious. Give me a yell if there is anything in particular that you are looking for in this area. I may be able to help.

The real holy grail of the concession rates is the 4c airmail postcard rate. It is really rare. I have one.

Tim

Sark

Post by Sark »

Tim Hi

Heres an example to go with your post above. I think I have posted this image on another thread but valid here as well.

Sark

Didge

Post by Didge »

Sark,

Very nice mate. Mine has the 4 cent QE11 as well.

Yours and mine are the only two that I have seen. There must be more out there though.

Tim

torstenweller

Post by torstenweller »

I have posted up some SAL rates and covers on the "Economy mail labels, etc." thread

Here is another example of the 4c Defence Forces postcard rate from the same sender as Didge's example, but this was his first postcard home with message "after a seven week passage in a merchant ship from Liverpool I arrived here a fortnight ago for two years exchange service with the Royal Australian Navy ..." -
Australia 1974 postcard airmail to England by serviceman at HMAS "Penguin" naval base with violet boxed "NAVY POSTAGE / CONCESSION RATE" cachet on face and single franking QE2 4c red tied NAVAL P.O. BALMORAL / N.S.W-AUST datestamp paying the United Kingdom Forces in Australia concession Airmail postcard rate
[Martin Walker records only one other example known of a QE2 4c red single franking paying this rate, but I see this may need to be amended!]
and a nice example of the 6c letter rate -
Australia 1966 airmail to England by a crew member of submarine HMS "Taciturn" (return address on back) with violet boxed "NAVY POSTAGE / CONCESSION RATE" cachet on face and single franking Birds 6c Honeyeater tied NAVAL P.O. BALMORAL / N.S.W-AUST datestamp paying the United Kingdom Forces in Australia concession airmail letter rate
These items are available for sale in our current Torsten Weller Postal History Auction 11 (closing 11 December 2012) on our auction website https://www.torstenweller.com/auctions featuring 320+ lots of Australian and Pacific Postal History including material from Australia (Kangaroos, KGV, KGVI and QE2 Pre-Decimal and Decimal), Christmas Island, Cocos Island, Nauru, Norfolk Island, and Papua & New Guinea.

mcgooley
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by mcgooley »

Time to resurrect this thread again with another question.
England is denoted as "Zone 5 airmail postcard rate" for this 13c stamp in 1968.

I purchased this from Torsten recently, but forgot to ask him exactly which area was covered by Zone 5 during the period July-October 1968 when this stamp was valid :oops:

Could anyone enlighten me :?:
FORESTS OLD, PASTURES NEW
"Truth is stranger than Fiction, but that is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." MARK TWAIN

Didge

Post by Didge »

McGooley,

The UK is the most common zone 5 country but all of Europe was zone 5 as well.

Tim

dwhopper

Post by dwhopper »

The first booklet of postage rates to include a Zone Table is the 1 Oct 1970 booklet.

Also included in Zone 5 are countries in Africa, the Caribbean and Central America.

The 1966, 1967 & 1968 do not explicitly include an Air Mail postcard rate. hat first appears in 1970. Having said that I think the rates Tortsen has in his rate tables are correct based on the available material.

dwhopper

Post by dwhopper »

For all of you decimal collectors, new postal rate booklet from Australia post on 15 July 2013.

abutukit

Re: Australian Postage rates discrepency

Post by abutukit »

I am a bit confused as to which set of decimal postage rates is correct.

Didge refers in his table to heavier items (2nd step and up) from 1 Oct 70 as being multiple rates of the basic rate.

Torsten however, refers to a different set of rates for those items.
Moreover, once the standard article is introduced, the rate is supposed cover items to 500g, so what is the meaning of multiple rates of the basic rate?

There are examples of both. Here for instance are both 12c and 14c covers, both apparently paying the 2nd step between 1 Oct 71 - 30 Sep 73.

So are these sets of rates compatible or conflicting, were there different interpretations of the rates back then too, or is one of our sets here mistaken?

Happy to hear your views.

dwhopper

Post by dwhopper »

According to the Austalia Post rates booklet the 2nd step (over 1 oz up to 2 oz) between 1 Oct 71 - 30 Sep 73 was $ 0.12. The $ 0.14 cover was wrong. Somebody had two $ 0.07 stamps and used them rather than find the correct stamp(s).

Staples
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Staples »

Hi,

Can anyone please confirm the period for the 41c domestic letter rate. I believe it was from 1 Sep 1989 to 2 Sep 1990, but have found varying sources.

Thanks

Staples

abutukit

Post by abutukit »

Staples wrote:Hi,

Can anyone please confirm the period for the 41c domestic letter rate. I believe it was from 1 Sep 1989 to 2 Sep 1990, but have found varying sources.

Thanks

Staples
That is correct as far as I am aware

Staples

Re: Australian Decimal Currency Postage Rates Compilation

Post by Staples »

Thanks abutukit

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Folks, in post #1 we have a pretty good overview of Australia Decimal currency postage rate from 1966 to about 1990 (See below) plus see Post 1 for Pertinax tables of same.)

Can any take a stab at even roughly updating this info from 1990 with basis postage rates changes and dates of change?

If done in roughly this format below it can all be updated onto post #1.

Thanks in advance!

Glen

Tallanent wrote:
Decimal Currency

14 February 1964

Domestic letter rate – 4c up to 1 ounce
3c per additional ounce

4 February 1966

UK forces airmail concession
6c per ounce

12 February 1966

All pre-decimal stamps withdrawn from sale at Post Offices but they still remain valid for use on mail

14 February 1966

Special delivery fee – charged per article in addition to the standard / domestic rate of postage

1 to 3 articles – 12c each
4 to 6 articles – 8c each
7 or more articles – 5c each

Aerogramme rate – 9c

Registration fee
20c in addition to the normal postage

Certified mail fee
5c in addition to normal postage

Acknowledgement of delivery fee
8c in addition to normal postage

Zone 1 airmail letter rate – 7c per ½ ounce
Zone 1 = Countries nearest Australia. Those known to be included are New Zealand and Papua New Guinea (after independence)
Note – This was a slight increase of the pre-decimal rate of 6d per ½ ounce

Zone 2 airmail letter rate – 10c per ½ ounce
Zone 2 = Fiji, Indonesia and Malaysia

Zone 3 airmail letter rate – 15c per ½ ounce
Zone 3 = more distant Asian and Pacific Island countries.
India, Japan, Philippines, China and Hong Kong

Zone 4 airmail letter rate – 20c per ½ ounce
Zone 4 = Canada and the United States of America
Also some Middle East countries including Saudi Arabia
Note – This was a direct conversion of the pre-decimal 2/- rate
At this time some of the former zone 5 countries were included in this class

1 September 1966

Underpaid articles service fee – Postage Due
16c plus the deficient postage

Meter impression showing the old currency
These were credited for postal use on a 1 to 1 basis
4d impression accepted as 4c postage
Dated 5 October 1966

The world's first large-scale mechanical mail sorting system was introduced in Australia (according to Australia Post), and operational in the Sydney GPO in this year. This coincided with the introduction of the current system of 4-digit Postcodes in Australia

1 October 1967

Domestic letter rate – 5c up to 1 ounce
4c per additional ounce

Special despatch / Special Despatch Delivery service
Next day delivery between Capitols
Double the domestic or standard rate

Aerogramme rate – 10c

4c cover up rated by a 1c meter impression dated 12 October 1967
Paying the single rate in effect from 1 October 1967

14 February 1968

This is the last day on which pre-decimal stamps can officially be used on mail

30 September 1968

Special delivery fee – charged per article in addition to the standard / domestic rate of postage

1 to 3 articles – 20c each
4 to 6 articles –
7 or more articles –

1 October 1968

Registration fee
25c in addition to the normal postage

10c in addition to normal postage

Zone 1 airmail letter rate – 10c per ½ ounce
Zone 1 = Countries nearest Australia. Those known to be included are New Zealand and Papua New Guinea (after independence)

Zone 2 airmail letter rate – 15c per ½ ounce

Zone 3 airmail letter rate – 20c per ½ ounce

Zone 4 airmail letter rate – 25c per ½ ounce

‘Post Office Preferred’ envelope specification details were announced.

1 July 1970

Special despatch / Special Despatch Delivery service renamed Priority Paid

Note – Both at the beginning of the service and later when the service was expanded to cover new areas, some articles sent through the normal postal services were selected by Australia Post to be put through the Priority Paid system instead. These items are paid at the normal rate but rubber stamped “Priority Paid – Test Article” or similar.

Certified mail fee

1 October 1970

Domestic letter rate – 6c up to 1 ounce
6c per additional ounce

Messenger delivery fee – charged per article in addition to the standard / domestic rate of postage

25c per article
50c per parcel

Overseas express delivery fee
25c in addition to the usual airmail rate

Registration fee
30c in addition to the normal postage

15c in addition to normal postage

Surface air lifter rates introduced
No details available at this time

Motorbikes used to deliver letters

14 February 1971

This is the last date that pre-decimal stamps can be exchanged at the post offices. At this date all pre-decimal stamps were demonetised

1 October 1971

Domestic letter rate – 7c up to 1 ounce
7c per additional ounce

Messenger delivery fee – charged per article in addition to the standard / domestic rate of postage

40c per article
60c per parcel

Aerogramme rate – 12c

40c in addition to the usual airmail rate

Registration fee
50c in addition to the normal postage

Certified mail fee

25c in addition to normal postage

Zone 1 airmail letter rate – 12c per ½ ounce

Zone 2 airmail letter rate – 20c per ½ ounce

Zone 3 airmail letter rate – 25c per ½ ounce

Zone 4 airmail letter rate – 30c per ½ ounce

1 October 1973

Domestic letter rate – 7c up to 20 grams
7c per additional 20 grams

50c per article
70c per parcel

20c per 20 grams

See also the note under 1 July 1970

Aerogramme rate – 14c

50c in addition to the usual airmail rate

Registration fee
75c in addition to the normal postage

Certified mail fee

30c in addition to normal postage

Zone 3 airmail letter rate – 15c per 10 grams

Zone 4 airmail letter rate – 25c 10 grams

International Priority Paid mail service to the United Kingdom and USA introduced.

1 October 1974

Domestic letter rate – 10c up to 20 grams
10c per additional 20 grams

25c per article up to 500 grams
50c per article over 500 grams

30c per 20 grams

Aerogramme rate – 20c

65c in addition to the usual airmail rate

Registration fee
$1 in addition to the normal postage

Certified mail fee

40c in addition to normal postage

Zone 1 airmail letter rate – 15c per 10 grams
Over 50 grams charged 15c per 20 grams or part of

Zone 2 airmail letter rate – 20c per 10 grams
Over 50 grams at 20c per 20 grams or part of

Zone 3 airmail letter rate – 25c per 10 grams
Over 50 grams charged 25c per additional 20 grams or part of

Zone 4 airmail letter rate – 30c per 10 grams
Over 50 grams charged 30c per additional 20 grams or part of

1 July 1975

On this date separate government commissions were created to undertake the operational responsibilities of the PMG.

One of these was the Australian Postal Commission trading as Australia Post.

1 September 1975

Domestic letter rate – 18c up to 20 grams
18c per additional 20 grams

25c flat rate plus any applicable airmail rates

Aerogramme rate – 25c

90c in addition to the usual airmail rate

Surface air lifted rate
$1 plus 80c per 250 grams

Registration fee
$2 in addition to the normal postage

Certified mail fee
50c in addition to normal postage

Zone 1 airmail letter rate – 25c per 10 grams
Over 50 grams charged 25c per 20 grams or part of

Zone 2 airmail letter rate – 30c per 10 grams
Over 50 grams at 30c per 20 grams or part of

Zone 3 airmail letter rate – 35c per 10 grams
Over 50 grams charged 35c per additional 20 grams or part of

Zone 4 airmail letter rate – 40c per 10 grams
Over 50 grams charged 40c per additional 20 grams or part of

1 November 1975

Reduced domestic rate for Christmas cards posted between 1 November and the 31 December

15c

1 November 1976

Reduced domestic rate for Christmas cards posted between 1 November and the 31 December

15c

1 October 1977

90c per article up to 500 grams
$1-20c per article over 500 grams

1 November 1977

15c

1 January 1978

$1-50c per article

1 July 1978

Domestic letter rate – 20c up to 20 grams
20c per additional 20 grams

30c flat rate plus any applicable airmail rates

Aerogramme rate – 30c

$1-35c in addition to the usual airmail rate

Zone 1 airmail letter rate – 30c per 10 grams
Plus 10c per additional 10 grams or part of

Zone 2 airmail letter rate – 35c per 10 grams
Plus 15c for each additional 10 grams or part of

Zone 3 airmail letter rate – 40c per 10 grams
Over 50 grams charged 10c per additional 10 grams or part of

Zone 4 airmail letter rate – 50c per 10 grams
Plus 30c per additional 10 grams or part of

1 November 1978

15c

1 June 1979

$1-50c in addition to the usual airmail rate

1 November 1979

15c

1980’s

Postman stopped blowing whistles to announce the delivery of mail

31 March 1980

Domestic letter rate – 22c up to 20 grams
22c per additional 20 grams

$1-70c per article

35c flat rate plus any applicable airmail rates

Aerogramme rate – 33c

$1-70c in addition to the usual airmail rate

Registration fee
$2-20c in addition to the normal postage

Certified mail fee
55c in addition to normal postage

Zone 1 airmail letter rate – 35c per 10 grams

Zone 2 airmail letter rate – 40c per 10 grams

Zone 3 airmail letter rate – 45c per 10 grams
Over 50 grams charged 20c per additional 10 grams or part of
India, Japan, Philippines, Thailand, China and Hong Kong

Zone 4 airmail letter rate – 55c per 10 grams

1 November 1980

15c

14 July 1981

Domestic letter rate – 24c up to 20 grams
24c per additional 20 grams

$2 per article

50c flat rate plus any applicable airmail rates

20c plus the deficient postage

$2 in addition to the usual airmail rate

Registration fee
$2-50c in addition to the normal postage

Certified mail fee
60c in addition to normal postage

1 November 1981

18c

22 March 1982

75c flat rate plus any applicable airmail rates

21 April 1982

Domestic letter rate – 27c up to 20 grams
27c per additional 20 grams

$2-25c per article

Aerogramme rate – 36c

$2-25c in addition to the usual airmail rate

Registration fee
$3 in addition to the normal postage

Certified mail fee
75c in addition to normal postage

Zone 1 airmail letter rate – 40c per standard sized letter less than 20 grams
Standard letter over 20 grams and less than 50 grams – 55c
Standard letter over 50 grams and less than 100 grams – $1
Standard letter over 100 grams and less than 250 grams – $1-50c
45c per non-standard sized letter less than 20 grams

Zone 2 airmail letter rate – standard sized letter under 20 grams – 50c
20 to 50 grams – 70c
50 to 100 grams - $1-30c
100 to 250 grams - $1-85c
Non-standard sized letter under 20 grams – 60c

Zone 3 airmail letter rate – standard sized letter under 20 grams –
20 to 50 grams – 80c
50 to 100 grams - $1-50c
100 to 250 grams - $2-25c
Non-standard sized letter under 20 grams – 70c

Zone 4 airmail letter rate – standard sized letter under 20 grams – 65c
20 to 50 grams – 90c
50 to 100 grams - $1-75
100 to 250 grams - $3
Non-standard sized letter under 20 grams – 80c

1 November 1982

21c

3 October 1983

Domestic letter rate – 30c up to 20 grams
30c per additional 20 grams

$2-50c per article

70c flat rate plus any applicable airmail rates

22c plus the deficient postage

Aerogramme rate – 40c

$2-50c in addition to the usual airmail rate

Registration fee
$3-30c in addition to the normal postage

Certified mail fee
85c in addition to normal postage

65c in addition to normal postage

Zone 1 airmail letter rate – 45c per standard sized letter less than 20 grams
Standard letter over 20 grams and less than 50 grams – 60c
Standard letter over 50 grams and less than 100 grams – $1-10c
Standard letter over 100 grams and less than 250 grams – $1-70c

Zone 2 airmail letter rate – standard sized letter under 20 grams – 60c
20 to 50 grams – 75c
50 to 100 grams - $1-45c
100 to 250 grams - $2-10c
Non-standard sized letter under 20 grams – 65c

Zone 3 airmail letter rate – standard sized letter under 20 grams – 60c
20 to 50 grams – 85c
50 to 100 grams - $1-60c
100 to 250 grams - $2-60c
Non-standard sized letter under 20 grams – 75c

Zone 4 airmail letter rate – standard sized letter under 20 grams – 75c
20 to 50 grams – $1
50 to 100 grams - $1-85c
100 to 250 grams - $3-35c
Non-standard sized letter under 20 grams – 90c

1 November 1983

24c

1 November 1984

24c

4 March 1985

Domestic letter rate – 33c up to 20 grams
33c per additional 20 grams

$2-75c per article

80c flat rate plus any applicable airmail rates

40c plus the deficient postage

Aerogramme rate – 45c

$2-75c in addition to the usual airmail rate

Registration fee
$3-65c in addition to the normal postage

Certified mail fee
90c in addition to normal postage

70c in addition to normal postage

Zone 1 airmail letter rate – 50c per standard sized letter less than 20 grams
Standard letter over 20 grams and less than 50 grams – 65c
Standard letter over 50 grams and less than 100 grams – $1-20c
Standard letter over 100 grams and less than 250 grams – $1-80c
55c per non-standard sized letter less than 20 grams

Zone 2 airmail letter rate – standard sized letter under 20 grams –
20 to 50 grams –
50 to 100 grams - $1-55c

Zone 3 airmail letter rate – standard sized letter under 20 grams – 65c
20 to 50 grams – 90c
50 to 100 grams - $1-70c
100 to 250 grams - $2-80c

Zone 4 airmail letter rate – standard sized letter under 20 grams – 80c
20 to 50 grams – $1-05c
50 to 100 grams - $1-95c
100 to 250 grams - $3-55c
Non-standard sized letter under 20 grams – $1

August 1865

The last TPO is withdrawn

28 October 1985

Security post fee
$4-50 in addition to the normal postage rates

1 November 1985

27c

24 August 1986

The messenger delivery service appears to have been discontinued at this date

25 August 1986

Increased from 4 March 1985 – details unknown

1 November 1986

30c

New retail Post Shops were launched at the Brisbane Expo.

Legislation passed, establishing Australia Post as a Government Business Enterprise, a Corporation with a board of directors, operating as a commercial business enterprise.

1 January 1989

A name change took place from Australia Post to the Australian Postal Corporation on this date when it was corporatised, although it still trades as Australia Post.

enricodm
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by enricodm »

Hi,

where can I find the rates before 1966 from 1900 to 1960?

Thanks for the help

Enrico

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Can someone add the post 1991 Decimal rates here please?
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

briggia

Post by briggia »

Great thread and fascinating to go through.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where to find rates for airmail and international surface mail for mail sent from Australia to zones 1-5 from 1983 to c.2000?

Thanks

briggia
Whilst growing my usage collection, I also collect other stuff.

BlackChook

Post by BlackChook »

Hi all

This has been a very helpful forum to discover...when I googled Australian postal rates it lead me straight here!!

I am just wondering though - I cannot find reference to Zone 5 airmail letter rates in the document on this page.
What am I missing?

Thanks
BlackChook

Didge

Post by Didge »

Folks

Some old favourites here. Good to see a few additions.

Tim

dwhopper

Post by dwhopper »

And a mistake

giwigip

Post by giwigip »

BlackChook wrote:Hi all

This has been a very helpful forum to discover...when I googled Australian postal rates it lead me straight here!!

I am just wondering though - I cannot find reference to Zone 5 airmail letter rates in the document on this page.
What am I missing?

Thanks
BlackChook
Yes I am looking for Zone 5 rates as well, specifically Registered to Germany 3 Mar 1985.... I also cannot see Zone 5 in this extraordinary Didge collection... 'what am I missing ?' :?

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Global Administrator wrote:Folks, in post #1 we have a pretty good overview of Australia Decimal currency postage rate from 1966 to about 1990 (See below) plus see Post 1 for Pertinax tables of same.)

Can any take a stab at even roughly updating this info from 1990 with basis postage rates changes and dates of change?

If done in roughly this format below it can all be updated onto post #1.

Thanks in advance!

Glen

Tallanent wrote:
Decimal Currency

14 February 1964

Domestic letter rate – 4c up to 1 ounce
3c per additional ounce

4 February 1966

UK forces airmail concession
6c per ounce

12 February 1966

All pre-decimal stamps withdrawn from sale at Post Offices but they still remain valid for use on mail

14 February 1966

1 to 3 articles – 12c each
4 to 6 articles – 8c each
7 or more articles – 5c each

Aerogramme rate – 9c

Registration fee
20c in addition to the normal postage

Certified mail fee
5c in addition to normal postage

8c in addition to normal postage

Zone 1 airmail letter rate – 7c per ½ ounce
Note – This was a slight increase of the pre-decimal rate of 6d per ½ ounce

Zone 2 airmail letter rate – 10c per ½ ounce

Zone 3 airmail letter rate – 15c per ½ ounce

Zone 4 airmail letter rate – 20c per ½ ounce
Note – This was a direct conversion of the pre-decimal 2/- rate
At this time some of the former zone 5 countries were included in this class

1 September 1966

16c plus the deficient postage

Meter impression showing the old currency
These were credited for postal use on a 1 to 1 basis
4d impression accepted as 4c postage
Dated 5 October 1966

The world's first large-scale mechanical mail sorting system was introduced in Australia (according to Australia Post), and operational in the Sydney GPO in this year. This coincided with the introduction of the current system of 4-digit Postcodes in Australia

1 October 1967

Domestic letter rate – 5c up to 1 ounce
4c per additional ounce

Special despatch / Special Despatch Delivery service

Aerogramme rate – 10c

4c cover up rated by a 1c meter impression dated 12 October 1967
Paying the single rate in effect from 1 October 1967

14 February 1968

This is the last day on which pre-decimal stamps can officially be used on mail

30 September 1968

1 to 3 articles – 20c each
4 to 6 articles –
7 or more articles –

1 October 1968

Registration fee
25c in addition to the normal postage

Zone 2 airmail letter rate – 15c per ½ ounce

Zone 3 airmail letter rate – 20c per ½ ounce

Zone 4 airmail letter rate – 25c per ½ ounce

‘Post Office Preferred’ envelope specification details were announced.

1 July 1970

Note – Both at the beginning of the service and later when the service was expanded to cover new areas, some articles sent through the normal postal services were selected by Australia Post to be put through the Priority Paid system instead. These items are paid at the normal rate but rubber stamped “Priority Paid – Test Article” or similar.

Certified mail fee

1 October 1970

Domestic letter rate – 6c up to 1 ounce
6c per additional ounce

25c per article
50c per parcel

25c in addition to the usual airmail rate

Registration fee
30c in addition to the normal postage

Surface air lifter rates introduced
No details available at this time

Motorbikes used to deliver letters

14 February 1971

This is the last date that pre-decimal stamps can be exchanged at the post offices. At this date all pre-decimal stamps were demonetised

1 October 1971

Domestic letter rate – 7c up to 1 ounce
7c per additional ounce

40c per article
60c per parcel

Aerogramme rate – 12c

40c in addition to the usual airmail rate

Registration fee
50c in addition to the normal postage

Certified mail fee

Zone 1 airmail letter rate – 12c per ½ ounce

Zone 2 airmail letter rate – 20c per ½ ounce

Zone 3 airmail letter rate – 25c per ½ ounce

Zone 4 airmail letter rate – 30c per ½ ounce

1 October 1973

Domestic letter rate – 7c up to 20 grams
7c per additional 20 grams

50c per article
70c per parcel

20c per 20 grams

Aerogramme rate – 14c

50c in addition to the usual airmail rate

Registration fee
75c in addition to the normal postage

Certified mail fee

Zone 3 airmail letter rate – 15c per 10 grams

Zone 4 airmail letter rate – 25c 10 grams

International Priority Paid mail service to the United Kingdom and USA introduced.

1 October 1974

Domestic letter rate – 10c up to 20 grams
10c per additional 20 grams

25c per article up to 500 grams
50c per article over 500 grams

30c per 20 grams

Aerogramme rate – 20c

65c in addition to the usual airmail rate

Registration fee
$1 in addition to the normal postage

Certified mail fee

40c in addition to normal postage

Zone 1 airmail letter rate – 15c per 10 grams
Over 50 grams charged 15c per 20 grams or part of

Zone 2 airmail letter rate – 20c per 10 grams
Over 50 grams at 20c per 20 grams or part of

Zone 3 airmail letter rate – 25c per 10 grams
Over 50 grams charged 25c per additional 20 grams or part of

Zone 4 airmail letter rate – 30c per 10 grams
Over 50 grams charged 30c per additional 20 grams or part of

1 July 1975

On this date separate government commissions were created to undertake the operational responsibilities of the PMG.

One of these was the Australian Postal Commission trading as Australia Post.

1 September 1975

Domestic letter rate – 18c up to 20 grams
18c per additional 20 grams

25c flat rate plus any applicable airmail rates

Aerogramme rate – 25c

90c in addition to the usual airmail rate

Surface air lifted rate
$1 plus 80c per 250 grams

Registration fee
$2 in addition to the normal postage

Certified mail fee

Zone 1 airmail letter rate – 25c per 10 grams
Over 50 grams charged 25c per 20 grams or part of

Zone 2 airmail letter rate – 30c per 10 grams
Over 50 grams at 30c per 20 grams or part of

Zone 3 airmail letter rate – 35c per 10 grams
Over 50 grams charged 35c per additional 20 grams or part of

Zone 4 airmail letter rate – 40c per 10 grams
Over 50 grams charged 40c per additional 20 grams or part of

1 November 1975

15c

1 November 1976

15c

1 October 1977

90c per article up to 500 grams
$1-20c per article over 500 grams

1 November 1977

15c

1 January 1978

$1-50c per article

1 July 1978

Domestic letter rate – 20c up to 20 grams
20c per additional 20 grams

30c flat rate plus any applicable airmail rates

Aerogramme rate – 30c

$1-35c in addition to the usual airmail rate

Zone 1 airmail letter rate – 30c per 10 grams

Zone 2 airmail letter rate – 35c per 10 grams

Zone 3 airmail letter rate – 40c per 10 grams
Over 50 grams charged 10c per additional 10 grams or part of

Zone 4 airmail letter rate – 50c per 10 grams

1 November 1978

15c

1 June 1979

$1-50c in addition to the usual airmail rate

1 November 1979

15c

1980’s

Postman stopped blowing whistles to announce the delivery of mail

31 March 1980

Domestic letter rate – 22c up to 20 grams
22c per additional 20 grams

$1-70c per article

35c flat rate plus any applicable airmail rates

Aerogramme rate – 33c

$1-70c in addition to the usual airmail rate

Registration fee
$2-20c in addition to the normal postage

Certified mail fee

Zone 1 airmail letter rate – 35c per 10 grams

Zone 2 airmail letter rate – 40c per 10 grams

Zone 3 airmail letter rate – 45c per 10 grams
Over 50 grams charged 20c per additional 10 grams or part of
India, Japan, Philippines, Thailand, China and Hong Kong

Zone 4 airmail letter rate – 55c per 10 grams

1 November 1980

15c

14 July 1981

Domestic letter rate – 24c up to 20 grams
24c per additional 20 grams

$2 per article

50c flat rate plus any applicable airmail rates

20c plus the deficient postage

$2 in addition to the usual airmail rate

Registration fee
$2-50c in addition to the normal postage

Certified mail fee

1 November 1981

18c

22 March 1982

75c flat rate plus any applicable airmail rates

21 April 1982

Domestic letter rate – 27c up to 20 grams
27c per additional 20 grams

$2-25c per article

Aerogramme rate – 36c

$2-25c in addition to the usual airmail rate

Registration fee
$3 in addition to the normal postage

Certified mail fee
75c in addition to normal postage

Zone 1 airmail letter rate – 40c per standard sized letter less than 20 grams
Standard letter over 20 grams and less than 50 grams – 55c
Standard letter over 50 grams and less than 100 grams – $1
Standard letter over 100 grams and less than 250 grams – $1-50c

Zone 2 airmail letter rate – standard sized letter under 20 grams – 50c
20 to 50 grams – 70c
50 to 100 grams - $1-30c
100 to 250 grams - $1-85c
Non-standard sized letter under 20 grams – 60c

Zone 3 airmail letter rate – standard sized letter under 20 grams –
20 to 50 grams – 80c
50 to 100 grams - $1-50c

Zone 4 airmail letter rate – standard sized letter under 20 grams – 65c
20 to 50 grams – 90c
50 to 100 grams - $1-75
100 to 250 grams - $3

1 November 1982

21c

3 October 1983

Domestic letter rate – 30c up to 20 grams
30c per additional 20 grams

$2-50c per article

70c flat rate plus any applicable airmail rates

22c plus the deficient postage

Aerogramme rate – 40c

$2-50c in addition to the usual airmail rate

Registration fee
$3-30c in addition to the normal postage

Certified mail fee
85c in addition to normal postage

65c in addition to normal postage

Zone 1 airmail letter rate – 45c per standard sized letter less than 20 grams
Standard letter over 20 grams and less than 50 grams – 60c
Standard letter over 50 grams and less than 100 grams – $1-10c
Standard letter over 100 grams and less than 250 grams – $1-70c

Zone 2 airmail letter rate – standard sized letter under 20 grams – 60c
20 to 50 grams – 75c
50 to 100 grams - $1-45c
100 to 250 grams - $2-10c
Non-standard sized letter under 20 grams – 65c

Zone 3 airmail letter rate – standard sized letter under 20 grams – 60c
20 to 50 grams – 85c
50 to 100 grams - $1-60c
100 to 250 grams - $2-60c
Non-standard sized letter under 20 grams – 75c

Zone 4 airmail letter rate – standard sized letter under 20 grams – 75c
20 to 50 grams – $1
50 to 100 grams - $1-85c
100 to 250 grams - $3-35c
Non-standard sized letter under 20 grams – 90c

1 November 1983

24c

1 November 1984

24c

4 March 1985

Domestic letter rate – 33c up to 20 grams
33c per additional 20 grams

$2-75c per article

80c flat rate plus any applicable airmail rates

40c plus the deficient postage

Aerogramme rate – 45c

$2-75c in addition to the usual airmail rate

Registration fee
$3-65c in addition to the normal postage

Certified mail fee
90c in addition to normal postage

70c in addition to normal postage

Zone 1 airmail letter rate – 50c per standard sized letter less than 20 grams
Standard letter over 20 grams and less than 50 grams – 65c
Standard letter over 50 grams and less than 100 grams – $1-20c
Standard letter over 100 grams and less than 250 grams – $1-80c
55c per non-standard sized letter less than 20 grams

Zone 2 airmail letter rate – standard sized letter under 20 grams –
20 to 50 grams –
50 to 100 grams - $1-55c

Zone 3 airmail letter rate – standard sized letter under 20 grams – 65c
20 to 50 grams – 90c
50 to 100 grams - $1-70c
100 to 250 grams - $2-80c

Zone 4 airmail letter rate – standard sized letter under 20 grams – 80c
20 to 50 grams – $1-05c
50 to 100 grams - $1-95c
100 to 250 grams - $3-55c
Non-standard sized letter under 20 grams – $1

August 1865

The last TPO is withdrawn

28 October 1985

Security post fee
$4-50 in addition to the normal postage rates

1 November 1985

27c

24 August 1986

The messenger delivery service appears to have been discontinued at this date

25 August 1986

Increased from 4 March 1985 – details unknown

1 November 1986

30c

New retail Post Shops were launched at the Brisbane Expo.

Legislation passed, establishing Australia Post as a Government Business Enterprise, a Corporation with a board of directors, operating as a commercial business enterprise.

1 January 1989

A name change took place from Australia Post to the Australian Postal Corporation on this date when it was corporatised, although it still trades as Australia Post.

So no takers for this important project?

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

norvic

Post by norvic »

I'm surprised that it doesn't already exist on one of the Philatelic Society websites in the way the UK ones are shown on the GBPS website. http://www.gbps.org.uk/information/rates/
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

norvic wrote:
04 Dec 2019 03:58

I'm surprised that it doesn't already exist on one of the Philatelic Society websites in the way the UK ones are shown on the GBPS website.

http://www.gbps.org.uk/information/rates/

Agree.

However, failing that, we have stampboards if someone cares to take on the challenge!

BlackChook

Post by BlackChook »

I don't know if this table will help other collectors as I have put it together purely from my own collecting viewpoint, but it does show the Zone 5 rates.
In compiling it, I have referred to tables Didge shared with me a few years ago: Aust Postal Rates.

The table covers the following info as my main collecting focus is Australian stamps on postcards and my experience has shown that stamps used can be any of these rates:
  • the letter/postcard rate (the same used domestically) up to ½ oz (later 20g).
      the letter/postcard rate (the same used domestically) up to 2oz (later 50g) - often seen used on postcard folders.
        the Christmas card rate, introduced from Oct '75
          the domestic interstate surface and airmail rates for letters and postcards.
            the OS Surface mail rate to Commonwealth versus other OS countries.
              the OS Airmail rates to different zones, where the letter and postcard rates are not the same. These rates are complicated by the fact that some countries have been aligned to different zones over time. Notably, there were 7 zones from Feb '66 to Oct '70, but these were amalgamated into 5 rates - so essentially there were 5 zones!
            The upshot of all this is that it can be pretty confusing to work out the rates that have been used, or at least I have often found it so! I did reach a point where I just couldn't add all the variations, so a * indicates where I may need to go back and check all the fine print!

So I have probably made mistakes when trying to decipher rates from these tables...with my head cricked to the side, and squinting madly, to try and work out all the details!

So I would welcome any corrections you see need to be made!

Scan_20200727.jpg
            Scan_20200727 (2).jpg

If anyone wants a printable copy, I am happy to send a .doc file!
            Hope this of some use.

Cheers
            BlackChook

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

As a side project and one that will likely take some time, I have started a spreadsheet of postage rates that will go right back the beginning for Australia, as far as I can back to 1808.

But it will be big as I have a row for each individual day of the year so at the moment from 1 Jan 1850 to today, it's over 62,000 rows.

Each row will have the date and what day it was (MTWTFSS), the basic letter rate, the tiered rates for letters and then move into registered, overseas, airmail etc as it grows.

The idea being that with a "date" and a "value" you can search and find what the payment was for on that day.

I have found 3 problems with Excel though and they are surprising (to me at least) that they have not been addressed by MS after all these years:

You cannot format cells to be a date that is earlier than 1/1/1900 - it won't do 1800's or earlier.
            There was no leap year for 1900, but Excel says it was.
            The day given for 1/1/1900 is Sunday, when it was a Monday. I think this is related to the leap year problem.

I'll be looking for workarounds to this, but in the meantime I picked the year that matches 1850 to generate the days and dates that way to bring it to 31/12/1899.

By the way, if you sent your neighbour a letter every day since 1/1/1850 you would have spent app. $9,900
            Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
            Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

BlackChook

Post by BlackChook »

That'll keep you off the streets, Allanswood!! Or happy in lockdown!
            Will it have a search function, as 62,000 rows sound a little overwhelming?

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Ctrl+F works for me. :D ;)
            Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
            Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

GUTTERS
            Stampboard's KING Poster of ALL time!
            Stampboard's KING Poster of ALL time!

Post by GUTTERS »

Allanswood wrote:
            01 Aug 2020 12:45
            As a side project and one that will likely take some time, I have started a spreadsheet of postage rates that will go right back the beginning for Australia, as far as I can back to 1808.

But it will be big as I have a row for each individual day of the year so at the moment from 1 Jan 1850 to today, it's over 62,000 rows.

Each row will have the date and what day it was (MTWTFSS), the basic letter rate, the tiered rates for letters and then move into registered, overseas, airmail etc as it grows.

The idea being that with a "date" and a "value" you can search and find what the payment was for on that day.

I have found 3 problems with Excel though and they are surprising (to me at least) that they have not been addressed by MS after all these years:

You cannot format cells to be a date that is earlier than 1/1/1900 - it won't do 1800's or earlier.
            There was no leap year for 1900, but Excel says it was.
            The day given for 1/1/1900 is Sunday, when it was a Monday. I think this is related to the leap year problem.

I'll be looking for workarounds to this, but in the meantime I picked the year that matches 1850 to generate the days and dates that way to bring it to 31/12/1899.

By the way, if you sent your neighbour a letter every day since 1/1/1850 you would have spent app. $9,900
            Greg I use Libra office suite It will take any date format.
            Capture.PNG
            I AM ALWAYS IN THE MIDDLE
            South Sydney Rabbitohs NRL Premiers 1908, 1909, 1914, 1918, 1925, 1926, 1927, 1928, 1929, 1931, 1932, 1950, 1951, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1967, 1968, 1970, 1971, 2014

Return to “STAMP WIKI. Please add to this TODAY!”