FIJI Bird Overprint stamps from 2006 : A PICTORIAL LISTING

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: Justin, snaws, Volunteer Moderator Team

lesbootman
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Re: FIJI Bird Overprint stamps from 2006 : A PICTORIAL LISTI

Post by lesbootman »

Here's another instance of an R1/6 variety!

Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

lesbootman wrote:Some people are trying to pass off common overprints as scarcer varieties, I've noticed a number of mis-described lots on ebay.

Today I've spotted lot number 360723219124 where seller nicethematics (1832) from Lebanon is trying to pass off 5 matching blocks of 4 of the 2010 setting overprint on 23c originals as "FIJI BIRDS 5 MNH VERY RARE OVERPRINTS STAMPS IN BLOCKS OF 4 WITH ERROR 2006-2009" and has put a price of $199.99 on them claiming "YOU ARE BIDDING ON 5 VERY RARE MNH OVERPRINTS STAMPS BIRDS WITH ERRORS FROM FIJI ISSUED IN 2006-2009. THE 2C, 3C, 4C OVERPRINTS ARE MISPLACED AND THEREFORE ARE OUTSIDE THE FRAME SEE SCANS. MICHEL CATALOG VALUE IS 88 EUROS PER SET X 4 = 352 EUROS = 465 $".

The lot seems to be using the same picture as lot 151101568345 which sold yesterday for $4.99 - that was sold by andreykuzmichev (317) from Russia with lot title "2006 * FIJI * Birds * 2009 overprint * 5 block of 4 * Catalog value: 352 EURO".

The comment about the misplaced overprints is laughable - the stamps in the picture are probably as close to well-centred as you are going to find on the 2010 setting overprints.

Some of the 2009 setting stamps overprinted on the 23c original are scarce. The stamps being sold here are the commoner 2010 setting stamps ... and not the 2009 setting stamps described in the catalogue.

I cannot really argue with a price of $4.99 for the 5 blocks ... $199.99 is exceedingly optimistic though.

Hopefully looking at the pictures that have been posted on this thread will help collectors differentiate between the different types and settings and not be taken in by uninformed or dishonest sellers.

I suppose it also reinforces the importance of having up to date information.
I see that the same seller has now re-listed the blocks at a reduced price of $99.99. He's still using the same description, mis-describing the stamps and giving a totally false catalogue value. He has also listed two separate lots of three single stamps (the same stamps in each case) and the prices he is asking for those are way over the odds too.
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

lesbootman wrote:Just in case anyone is wondering why I have not got any lots listed on ebay at the moment it is down to me having a couple of weeks rest.

I will have some more lots listed at the beginning of October all being well.

Very best wishes to everyone.

Les
That "rest" period passed very quickly. I'll have some overprints listed on ebay next week.
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

An opportunity for someone to benefit from my mistake!

66.32† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Amongst my ebay listings which went live on Sunday 29th September (UK time) is lot number 331033715744. I'd intended to start this lot at a very reasonable start price of US$250.00. I actually started it at $25.00 and since someone has placed a bid on it I cannot amend the start price. I could have cancelled the lot and re-listed but I don't like doing that.

The lot is live and someone could win it for $25 or a tad over.

It is very difficult to put a retail price on such scarce blocks but suffice to say that if you did it would be upwards from $500 and might be as high as $1,000 or more (based on my experience of the prices that I have seen Fiji overprint blocks of similar scarcity to this one sell for in the past).
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

lesbootman wrote:An opportunity for someone to benefit from my mistake!

Amongst my ebay listings which went live on Sunday 29th September (UK time) is lot number 331033715744. I'd intended to start this lot at a very reasonable start price of US$250.00. I actually started it at $25.00 and since someone has placed a bid on it I cannot amend the start price. I could have cancelled the lot and re-listed but I don't like doing that.

The lot is live and someone could win it for $25 or a tad over.

It is very difficult to put a retail price on such scarce blocks but suffice to say that if you did it would be upwards from $500 and might be as high as $1,000 or more (based on my experience of the prices that I have seen Fiji overprint blocks of similar scarcity to this one sell for in the past).
Well, the lot has now closed and the winning bidder paid just US$127.50 - which I think is a real bargain price for a very nice and quite possibly unique block.
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Ref: 20c on 23c overprinted on the gummed side : no gap variety from row 7 column 10

A friend of mine in Holland is fortunate enough to have an example of this stamp and he has sent me a scan to add to this thread.

Thanks very much.

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

This block is very interesting : It has five different varieties and is currently listed on ebay (ending Sunday 10 November 2013) as lot 331057086384.

Corner marginal block of 12.

Variety 1 - no gap between 20c and xxx stamp R7/10

Variety 2 - missing "c" and broken "0" in overprint stamp R7/10

Variety 3 - clear "GHOST" of 1c overprint at top of stamp R10/10 (very scarce)

Variety 4 - very feint overprint - particularly affecting numeral "20" on all four stamps in C8 (yhe eft hand column in this block)

Variety 5 - overprint misplaced slightly upward and to the right.
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

lesbootman wrote:Image
Well, the block has now been sold, making GBP £25.52 - which would seem to be a pretty reasonable price (from the buyer's perspective).
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Continuing ...

Fiji Bird overprint stamps -

Recently discovered new varieties:

62.10† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott 1250 (Footnote variety) - SG F1369a
2c on 31c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") smaller/narrower setting - spacing (mm) 2.5 : Variety - Surcharge inverted
Scott Price US$90.00 : SG GBP £50.00

62.20† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott 1250 (Footnote variety) - SG F1369b
2c on 31c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") smaller/narrower setting - spacing (mm) 2.5 Variety - Surcharge double
Scott Price US$120.00 : SG GBP £50.00

63.10† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott 1251 (Footnote variety) - SG F1370a
3c on 31c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") smaller/narrower setting - spacing (mm) 2.5 Variety - Surcharge inverted
Scott Price US$100.00 : SG GBP £50.00

64.20† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott 1252 (Footnote variety) - SG F13701c
4c on 31c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") smaller/narrower setting - spacing (mm) 2.5 Variety - Surcharge double
Scott Price US$120.00 : SG GBP £100.00

† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Continuing ...

Recently discovered new variety:

53.20† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott 1218A (Footnote variety) - SG F1355b
3c on 23c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") smaller/narrower setting - spacing (mm) 2.5 : Variety - Surcharge double, one inverted
Scott Price US$130.00 : SG GBP £60.00

† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †
norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by norvic »

Steve Zirinsky has a nice cover on his website here, with a block of provisional birds.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock before Royal Mail burn them all, singles, booklets, booklet panes, regionals - lists here: or email/DM your general needs and I'll let you know whether it's worth sending a wants list.
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

I got a newsletter from Steven Zirinsky this morning and he'd highlighted a Fiji overprint cover. It had a combination of 63c definitives and 2c overprints (5 of each) but they weren't blocks so maybe it was a different cover. It looked like it was a commercial cover that had been returned to sender - undelivered. Steven usually has quite a good selection of Fiji overprint covers for sale on his website.

Maybe I'll ask Steven if he'd mind me posting images of one or two of his covers here - but I haven't done it because I'd need to ask him first.
norvic

Post by norvic »

Probably the same cover, ex the same newsletter. It takes so many clicks to get through to the image - and there is no description in his shop (only a title) - that I assumed it was a block from the thumbnail.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock before Royal Mail burn them all, singles, booklets, booklet panes, regionals - lists here: or email/DM your general needs and I'll let you know whether it's worth sending a wants list.
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

norvic wrote:Probably the same cover, ex the same newsletter. It takes so many clicks to get through to the image - and there is no description in his shop (only a title) - that I assumed it was a block from the thumbnail.
Yes, it took me a few clicks to get to the picture too so it may well have been the same one.
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Continuing ...

Recently discovered new varieties:

53.10† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott 1218A (Footnote variety) - SG F1355a
3c on 23c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") smaller/narrower setting - spacing (mm) 2.5 : Variety - Surcharge inverted
Scott Price US$100.00 : SG GBP £60.00

57.30† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott 1222 (Footnote variety) - SG F1356c
4c on 23c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") 2009 type with wider setting - spacing (mm) 3¾: Variety - Surcharge double, one inverted
Scott Price US$130.00 : SG GBP £100.00

58.20† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott 1222A (Footnote variety) - SG F1357d
4c on 23c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") 2010 type with smaller/narrow setting -
spacing (mm) 2.5 : Variety - Surcharge double, one inverted
Scott Price US$120.00 : SG GBP £100.00

61.30† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott 1249 (Footnote variety) - SG F1368d
1c on 31c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") - spacing (mm) 2.5 : Variety - Surcharge double, one inverted

62.30† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott 1250 (Footnote variety) - SG F1369d
2c on 31c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") - spacing (mm) 2.5 : Variety - Surcharge double, one inverted

63.30† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott 1251 (Footnote variety) - SG F1370d
3c on 31c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") - spacing (mm) 2.5 : Variety - Surcharge double, one inverted

64.30† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott 1252 (Footnote variety) - SG F1371d
4c on 31c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") - spacing (mm) 2.5 : Variety - Surcharge double, one inverted

65.30† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott 1253 (Footnote variety) - SG F1372c
5c on 31c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") - spacing (mm) 2.5 : Variety - Surcharge double, one inverted
Scott Price US$130.00 : SG GBP £50.00

69.10† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott 1254E (Footnote variety) - SG F1378a
40c on 31c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") - spacing (mm) 1.5 : Variety - Surcharge inverted
Scott Price US$90.00 : SG GBP £100.00

69.40† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott 1254E (Footnote variety) - SG F1378c
40c on 31c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") - spacing (mm) 2.5 : Variety - Surcharge double, one inverted

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Continuing ...

Recently discovered SURPRISE new variety:

78.00† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott 1219B - SG F1335b
40c on 6c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") smaller/narrower setting - spacing (mm) 2.5 : Variety - OVERPRINTED ON 6c !!
Scott Price US$100.00 : SG GBP £5.00 (The SG quote suggests that the catalogue editor was not aware that this is a pretty scarce stamp).

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

lesbootman wrote:Continuing ...

Recently discovered SURPRISE new variety:

† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

40c on 6c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") smaller/narrower setting - spacing (mm) 2.5 : Variety - OVERPRINTED ON 6c !!

This stamp is currently available on ebay with a 99p start price. I'd expect that it is worth somewhat more than 99p based on realisations for similar surprise varieties but everything has to start somewhere. The lot number is 331143041821.
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Scott ?????? (Unlisted variety) - 40c on 6c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") smaller/narrower setting
spacing (mm) 2.5 : Variety - OVERPRINTED ON 6c !!

This stamp is currently available on ebay with a 99p start price. I'd expect that it is worth somewhat more than 99p based on realisations for similar surprise varieties but everything has to start somewhere. The lot number is 331143041821.
Well, it sold for the sum of £8.00 - rather a low price. A similar stamp is now listed as a buy-it-now with a still very reasonable £20 price tag.
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Continuing ...

These two stamps are not new varieties; they were actually printed as part of the very first trials while the overprints were being planned by Post Fiji in 2006 and issued for postal use at sometime in 2006 or 2007. Both stamps are listed in the new (2014) SG Western Pacific catalogue (as SG F1377 and F1379). They are particularly scarce stamps. These two denominations covered two airmail rates but Post Fiji decided to issue overprints for domestic rates within Fiji and make up values only, determining that special issues would suffice for their lower volume international postage requirements.

75.00† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott : Unlisted - SG F1377
40c on 31c Overprint type t (3 small "xxx") spacing (mm) 1½ : Printed in very limited quantity (thought to be one sheet only) and subsequently issued for postal use.

Note: the font/typeface used for the overprint on this stamp is different from the font used on the later 40c on 31c (described previously in this thread)
SG : unpriced

76.00† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott : Unlisted - SG F1393
$1.10 on $1 Overprint type s (2 small "xx") spacing (mm) 3 : Printed in very limited quantity (thought to be one sheet only) and subsequently issued for postal use.
SG Price GBP £300.00

... and here is a scan of the cover showing the two stamps pictured above in used condition.

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Continuing:

80.00† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott 1316 - SG F1379
Issue date March 2014 - 50c on 31c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") smaller/narrower setting
spacing (mm) 1.5
Scott Price US$6.00 : SG GBP £0.50

80.01† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott 1316a - SG F1379d
Issue date March 2014 - 50c on 31c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") smaller/narrower setting - spacing (mm) 0 (n/a) - Variety no gap between 50c and xxx found at sheet position R7 C10
Scott Price US$50.00 : SG GBP £20.00

Some notes on the newly issued (March 2014) 50c on 31c overprint and the no gap between "50c" and "xxx" stamp from Row 7 column 10.

This new 50c on 31c was commissioned and issued on a temporary/emergency basis because Post Fiji ran out of regular 50c stamps (50c is the current Airmail rate to Tonga & N.Z). It seems likely that once they get their next 50c values (from special issue/commemorative sets), they will not require this overprint again. This is the first instance of an overprint being commissioned for a stamp required primarily to cover an overseas postal rate.

It seems pretty obvious (because the existence and sheet position of the no gap stamp is consistent over all three overprinted values) that the printers have used the 20c or 40c overprint matrix as a template for this 50c, just as they used the 20c overprint matrix as a template when they prepared the 40c overprint.

I’ve heard a report that Post Fiji's stock of the 31c base stamp is running quite low. The report also noted that quite a number of sheets within the reams of 31c stamps still in stock have become stuck together and Post Fiji will not be able to use those for overprinting. It could well be that Post Fiji will have to supply the printers with the next obsolete value from the 1995 bird series (which is the 44c) for overprinting ongoing ordersquite soon.

Indications are that the minimum order was placed for this 50c overprint - and that is usually 100 sheets. This stamp is always going to be much scarcer than the 20c or 40c stamps - simply because 20c and 40c represent the previous and current basic inland letter rate stamps and large quantities of those are required and printed. To put it in perspective, it seems most likely that just 100 of the 50c no gap stamp have been printed - and that is the same quantity as the missing "3" stamps from the first 3c on 23c overprint.

I have listed a block of 4 regular stamps and a block of 6 which incorporates the no gap stamp on ebay (my ebay username is lesbootman, lot numbers are 331154448154 and 331154679987). The starting prices are very low at $10 and $25 respectively. Any future listings will start somewhat higher than those prices.

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Continuing ...

This stamp is not a new variety, it was produced at the same time as the two stamps (40c on 31c and $1.10 on $1) mentioned above; they were actually printed as part of the very first trials while the overprints were being planned by Post Fiji sometime around March 2006 and issued for postal use at sometime in 2006 or 2007.

† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Unlisted by Scott or SG

90c on 70c on $1 Overprint type t (3 small "xxx") : Printed in very limited quantity (thought to be one sheet only) and subsequently issued for postal use. The printer prepared 70c and 90c overprint matrices, but for reason or reasons unknown to me. perhaps because Post Fiji had not provided enough sample stamp sheets for them to experiment on, the printer overprinted the stamps 70c and then overprinted the sheet again with a 90c overprint.

It is believed that only one sheet was printed and that the 70c and 90c overprints were never used again.

They were released and issued for postage, being sold at 90c.

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Another recently discovered new variety:

79.00† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott 1252a - SG F1371e
4c on 31c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") wide setting (as used for 2009 4c overprint on 23c) - Approx. spacing (mm) 3¾
Scott Price US$95.00 : SG GBP £20.00

No picture available at the moment

Fiji Bird overprint stamps

Scott 1252b - SG F1371ea
4c on 31c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") wide setting (as used for 2009 4c overprint on 23c)
Approx. spacing (mm) 2.5 : Variety - Narrow overprint (occurs in sheet positions R1C3 and R9C9, the other 98 stamps in the sheet show a 3¾mm spacing)
Scott Price US$185.00 : SG GBP £175.00

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Continuing:

80.20† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Image Image Image

Scott 1316 (Footnote variety) - SG F1379b
Issue date April/May 2014 ? - 50c on 31c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") smaller/narrower setting
spacing (mm) 1.5 - Variety: Overprint double
Scott Price US$70.00 : SG GBP £100.00

I expect I'll be back with another update before long! Previous experience suggests that more new discoveries await.
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Continuing:

NEW ISSUE (JUNE 2014) - First use of 44c original for operational overprints.

84.00† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott 1315 - SG F1388
Issue date JUNE 2014 - 40c on 44c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") smaller/narrower setting - spacing (mm) 1.5
Scott Price US$2.00 : SG GBP £1.40

84.01† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott 1315a - SG F1388b
Issue date JUNE 2014 - 40c on 44c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") smaller/narrower setting
spacing (mm) 0 (n/a) - Variety: space between 40c and xxx omitted found at sheet position R7 C10
Scott Price US$60.00 : SG GBP £20.00

Mangi Man
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by Mangi Man »

Just wondering if complete sheets of 100 Fiji Bird Overprints are worth more than the value of 100 individual stamps of the same type? Assuming all in top MNH condition.
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Mangi Man wrote:Just wondering if complete sheets of 100 Fiji Bird Overprints are worth more than the value of 100 individual stamps of the same type? Assuming all in top MNH condition.
The overprints are a fledgling market and it is impossible to respond with confidence.

I would imagine that relative value would depend upon the scarcity of the stamp/sheet in question.

However, I would think that the answer to your question is going to be no for almost all (if not all) of the overprint types. For some of the really scarce varieties where as little as 1 sheet was printed then the question is moot as no full sheets exist of those - they have been broken up.

Going to the other extreme, for the most recent 1c - 5c inclusive overprints (narrow 2010 setting) on both 23c and 31c originals you could argue that catalog prices for the individual stamps are disproportionately a little bit high. In Scott the lowest cat for those is $1 per stamp and the full sheets are fairly plentiful (apart maybe from the 3c values). When they were available at Post Fiji outlets, you could buy full sheets of 100 for between FJ$1 and FJ$5 each and when you consider that FJ$5 is around US$3 you can see why full sheets of those are almost certainly not worth $100+ each.. For the earlier overprints (from the 2008/2009 setting overprints on 23c and working backwards) full sheets are harder to find because collector interest had not reached current levels until the limited stocks available of those earlier issues had been exhausted (most of those being used postally).

Even so, I doubt that a full sheet of one of those earlier sheets would be worth more than 100 times the price of a single.

I must add a rider to these comments. These are just my opinions - I do not know for sure and I am often wrong!

I suppose it all depends on whether collectors in the future create a demand for the overprints in full sheets. If they do then who knows.
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

lesbootman wrote:Continuing ...

This stamp is not a new variety, it was produced at the same time as the two stamps (40c on 31c and $1.10 on $1) mentioned above; they were actually printed as part of the very first trials while the overprints were being planned by Post Fiji sometime around March 2006 and issued for postal use at sometime in 2006 or 2007.

Scott ?????? (Unlisted variety) - 90c on 70c on $1 Overprint type t (3 small "xxx") : Printed in very limited quantity (thought to be one sheet only) and subsequently issued for postal use. The printer prepared 70c and 90c overprint matrices, but for reason or reasons unknown to me. perhaps because Post Fiji had not provided enough sample stamp sheets for them to experiment on, the printer overprinted the stamps 70c and then overprinted the sheet again with a 90c overprint.

It is believed that only one sheet was printed and that the 70c and 90c overprints were never used again.

They were released and issued for postage, being sold at 90c.

Correction - as the picture shows this is not a type "t" overprint - the overprint has two upper case X's which are different to regular issue XX because they are a different type-face, with serifs on the X's. The regular XX overprints do not have serifs on the X's.
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

lesbootman wrote:Continuing:

NEW ISSUE (JUNE 2014) - First use of 44c original for operational overprints.

Scott Un-listed - Issue date JUNE 2014 - 40c on 44c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") smaller/narrower setting
spacing (mm) 1.5

Scott Un-listed - Issue date JUNE 2014 - 40c on 44c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") smaller/narrower setting
spacing (mm) 0 (n/a) - Variety: space between 40c and xxx omitted found at sheet position R7 C10

Update:

I'm advised that Post Fiji withdrew this particular overprint on the 44c original from sale very soon after issue. Whether this is a temporary suspension of sales or a permanent one I do not know. No doubt time will reveal all (as it usually does).
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Just in case anyone wonders why I'm quiet on ebay for the next few weeks, that is because I'm taking a break while I go on holiday. One or two ebay buyers take a few weeks to pay for their lots so I cease listings early to take that into account.
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Continuing:

NEW ISSUE (JULY/AUGUST 2014) - ongoing use of 44c original for operational overprints.

83.00† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott 1314 - SG F1385
Issue date July/August 2014 - 20c on 44c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") smaller/narrower setting
spacing (mm) 1.5
Scott Price US$1.50 : SG GBP £1.00

83.01† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott 1314a - SG F1385b
Issue date July/August 2014 - 20c on 44c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") smaller/narrower setting
spacing (mm) 0 (n/a) - Variety: space between 20c and xxx omitted found at sheet position R7 C10
Scott Price US$50.00 : SG GBP £20.00

83.02† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott unlisted - SG F1385c
spacing (mm) 3¾ - Variety: wider space between 20c and xxx found at sheet position R1/3 on some sheets. n.b. This wider spacing variety also occurs on some sheets from later printings of the 20c on 31c.
SG unpriced

85.00† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott 1317 - SG F1389
Issue date July/August 2014 - 50c on 44c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") smaller/narrower setting
spacing (mm) 1.5
Scott Price US$1.50 : SG GBP £1.00

85.01† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott 1317a - SG F1389a
Issue date July/August 2014 - 50c on 44c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") smaller/narrower setting
spacing (mm) 0 (n/a) - Variety: space between 50c and xxx omitted found at sheet position R7 C10
Scott Price US$65.00 : SG GBP £30.00

Notes:

I have been informed that the 20c and 50c overprints were printed at the same time as the 40c on 44c overprints reported in a previous post to this thread.

There is no official day of release for these stamps, they are only distributed to post offices which send a request for stamps of their specific denomination to Post Fiji's central stores.

It is then down to demand and operational necessities at those post offices which have the stamps which dictate actual issuance and use. Fiji's 40c stamp is the denomination in greatest demand so it is no surprise that that one was issued first.

I have also been informed that due to the printing machinery used to produce the overprints not being "state of the art" the first few sheets of each print run are usually misaligned, resulting in the overprint appearing half way up the stamp rather than at the bottom as intended. Once the machine gets into its stride the overprints produced are positioned correctly.

To be continued (probably).
norvic

Post by norvic »

lesbootman wrote:To be continued (probably).
:lol: :lol: I've followed these additions to the listing with interest - I think you are right, this will continue until they run out of stamps to surcharge!
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Ref: 40c on 44c overprint
Update:

I'm advised that Post Fiji withdrew this particular overprint on the 44c original from sale very soon after issue. Whether this is a temporary suspension of sales or a permanent one I do not know. No doubt time will reveal all (as it usually does).
It appears that the 40c on 44c overprint has continued to be distributed from Post Fiji's central stores to post offices which sent a request for 40c stamps - the rumoured suspension mentioned above may relate to new supplies of overprints being ordered. A 40c and a 50c stamp are included in the two most recent commemorative issues so it seems plausible that the pressing demand which would require new overprints will be diminished for the immediate future.
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Now for something slightly different:

Spot the rather unusual postmark on the postcard that dropped onto my doormat at the end of August (2014).

I wonder how many instances of Fiji used in Finland material are known? The postcard also has a Fijian airmail sticker.

40c is the correct rate (currently) for airmail postcards from Fiji to the UK.
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Continuing:

80.02† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott Un-listed - SG F1379e
(SG price this variety at GBP £100.00 but the market price is somewhat higher).

Basic stamp's issue date April/May 2014 ? - 50c on 31c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") smaller/narrower setting - spacing (mm) 1.5 .... Variety: Overprint includes an extra "5"

Additional information on this stamp (received from a source in Fiji):

In regards to the 50c/31c with the "double 5", details are as follows:

(1) 100 sheets of the 50c on 31c overprint were printed on March 05, 2014 in the first batch. When postal staff noticed the double 5 error, they extracted the stamps with the error and had them destroyed. The error was corrected in all subsequent printings.

(2) The error affects the stamps in sheet position Row 4, Columns 6 and Column 7 (as can be seen from the picture).

(3) 15 Blocks still including the error are thought to have survived.

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

In case you're wondering, there have been no new overprints that I am aware of for several months now.

The pressure on Post Fiji was relieved a little by the issue of two commemorative sets (Grand Pacific Hotel and Sharks) that contained examples of the denominations most in demand.

There has been interest recently in the varieties of the "2c ==" on 6c and I am trying to find some pictures to post here to illustrate those.
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

lesbootman wrote:
lesbootman wrote:Some people are trying to pass off common overprints as scarcer varieties, I've noticed a number of mis-described lots on ebay.

Today I've spotted lot number 360723219124 where seller nicethematics (1832) from Lebanon is trying to pass off 5 matching blocks of 4 of the 2010 setting overprint on 23c originals as "FIJI BIRDS 5 MNH VERY RARE OVERPRINTS STAMPS IN BLOCKS OF 4 WITH ERROR 2006-2009" and has put a price of $199.99 on them claiming "YOU ARE BIDDING ON 5 VERY RARE MNH OVERPRINTS STAMPS BIRDS WITH ERRORS FROM FIJI ISSUED IN 2006-2009. THE 2C, 3C, 4C OVERPRINTS ARE MISPLACED AND THEREFORE ARE OUTSIDE THE FRAME SEE SCANS. MICHEL CATALOG VALUE IS 88 EUROS PER SET X 4 = 352 EUROS = 465 $".

The lot seems to be using the same picture as lot 151101568345 which sold yesterday for $4.99 - that was sold by andreykuzmichev (317) from Russia with lot title "2006 * FIJI * Birds * 2009 overprint * 5 block of 4 * Catalog value: 352 EURO".

The comment about the misplaced overprints is laughable - the stamps in the picture are probably as close to well-centred as you are going to find on the 2010 setting overprints.

Some of the 2009 setting stamps overprinted on the 23c original are scarce. The stamps being sold here are the commoner 2010 setting stamps ... and not the 2009 setting stamps described in the catalogue.

I cannot really argue with a price of $4.99 for the 5 blocks ... $199.99 is exceedingly optimistic though.

Hopefully looking at the pictures that have been posted on this thread will help collectors differentiate between the different types and settings and not be taken in by uninformed or dishonest sellers.

I suppose it also reinforces the importance of having up to date information.
I see that the same seller has now re-listed the blocks at a reduced price of $99.99. He's still using the same description, mis-describing the stamps and giving a totally false catalogue value. He has also listed two separate lots of three single stamps (the same stamps in each case) and the prices he is asking for those are way over the odds too.
I don't normally use Delcampe but today I have spotted a seller in Russia trying to pass off the 2010 overprints as 2009 types and claiming an excessive catalogue valuation of 352 Euro. The picture used on the Delcampe listing seems to be the same one used in the post I did quite a few moons ago regarding similar misleading listings on ebay!

* 2006 * FIJI * Birds * 2009 overprint * 5 block of 4 * 7 scan *
Item number: 170006619
Seller: Kratovo (Russian Federation)
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Continuing:

NEWLY DISCOVERED VARIETY

Scott 1314 (Footnote vatriety) - SG F1385a
Issue date 2014 - 20c on 44c Overprint type T3 (3 small "xxx") smaller/narrower setting - standard spacing between "20c" and "xxx" (approx 1.5mm).
Scott Price US$60.00 : SG GBP £100.00

Variety - overprint inverted.

Just one sheet of this stamp is known. This is the first and only instance noted so far of either an inverted or a doubled overprint variety amongst the overprints produced using the 1995 issue 44c stamp.

This may be evidence to suggest that Post Fiji have amended their policy and have now become more stringent in their quality control, effectively suppressing such errors. Time will tell!

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Continuing:

UNIQUE VARIETY ?

Scott Un-listed - Issue date unknown - block of 4 of the 20c on 6c overprint type XX showing overprint misplaced upwards and including one stamp with an extra X (i.e. 20cXXX).

Just one example of this 20cXXX on 6c stamp is known, making it unique. It is similar to Scott 1160a so probably dates back to circa 2007 or 2008.

Anybody got 10 million bucks burning a hole in their pocket (that is the going rate for unique stamps isn't it??).

I'll list the block on ebay with a start price somewhat less than that and we'll see.

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

UNIQUE VARIETY ?

22.04† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott Un-listed - Issue date unknown - block of 4 of the 20c on 6c overprint type XX showing overprint misplaced upwards and including one stamp with an extra X (i.e. 20cXXX).

Just one example of this 20cXXX on 6c stamp is known, making it unique. It is similar to Scott 1160a so probably dates back to circa 2007 or 2008.

Anybody got 10 million bucks burning a hole in their pocket (that is the going rate for unique stamps isn't it??).

I'll list the block on ebay with a start price somewhat less than that and we'll see.

The block is now on sale on ebay - the lot number is 231474433332
kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Would you like to post this thread to my Stamp Catalogue thread? As you are the author of this thread you know how you would describe it there. My thread is at http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=60568
All instructions needed are in the first post.

If you do not want, I apologize for disturbing this thread.

Kimmo
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

lesbootman wrote:

UNIQUE VARIETY ?

The block is now on sale on ebay - the lot number is 231474433332
The lot has now closed. Interestingly enough, no one placed a bid (notwithstanding that fact, the block is no longer available).

I wonder what a big auction house could have made of this block if they'd spent a bit of time (and money) bigging it up. It is unique and it is in far better condition than a well known British Guiana stamps which is also unique and sold for rather more than the $995 this block could have been acquired for!
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Another recently discovered new variety:

96.00† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Scott ?????? (Unlisted variety) - 1c on 31c Overprint type T3 (3 lower case "xxx" obliterator) wide setting (as used for 2009 1c overprint on 23c)
Approx. spacing (mm) 4

96.01† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †

See picture above (Row 1 Column 3)

Scott ?????? (Unlisted variety) - 1c on 31c Overprint type T3 (3 lower case "xxx" obliterator) wide setting (as used for 2009 1c overprint on 23c)
Approx. spacing (mm) 2.5 : Variety - Narrow overprint (occurs in sheet positions R1C3 and R9C9, the other 98 stamps in the sheet show a 4mm spacing)

This stamp was first spotted used on local mail sent within Fiji. Subsequently a few mint examples have been located. It is a bit of a mystery how the stamp came to be printed - either a sheet of 31c was included amongst a batch of 23c sent to the printers for the 2009 printings on 23c or alternatively someone at the printers has pulled up the wrong overprint matrix (presumably from a backup or similar) when intending to produce 1c on 31c stamps using the 2010 type (narrower setting) matrix. It is too early to be sure yet but working from previous experience I wouldn't be at all surprised if this turned out to be a scarce stamp.

norvic

Post by norvic »

I imagine you'll have even more interest in these now that the Linn's article has been published. Nice job!
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

norvic wrote:I imagine you'll have even more interest in these now that the Linn's article has been published. Nice job!
Hopefully the article in Linn's will inspire a bit of interest in the overprints.

I got hooked myself after reading two articles by Bryan Jones on the stamps in Gibbons Stamp Monthly back in 2007.

Doesn't time fly!
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

A different 1c on 31c overprint has been spotted and reported on the PISC forum. This looks to have a small type overprint with xxx obliterator (similar to the 2010 type overprint setting) but there is variation in the spacing/gap size between "c" and "xxx" on some stamps within the sheet.

There is also a 5c on 31c printed using the same overprint matrix layout (but with the 1c replaced by 5c). I'll add more on this development when I get a bit of time and sort out some pictures.

A used block is pictured on the PISC site.

http://www.pisc.org.uk/forum/topic/186.html
norvic

Post by norvic »

I didn't realise until today that these stamps are no bigger than the size I see your icon! I thought they were much larger. :lol: :lol:
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

norvic wrote:I didn't realise until today that these stamps are no bigger than the size I see your icon! I thought they were much larger. :lol: :lol:
What was the source/cause of your enlightenment I wonder?

At the end of the day the stamps Post Fiji use for overprinting are definitives - the size is comparable with Machins and many other definitives the world over.
norvic

Post by norvic »

I'm clearing out a cupboard of 'stuff' for the club auction, and I found I had a few unoverprinted pieces, which I have kept back and will scan later. Agreed, they are comparable with Machins, but I am used to seeing birds - except from the east African commonwealth countries, at least a bit larger, eg South Africa. Fiji's being less square in dimension, they are smaller than comparable birds from Ireland, Belgium and Portugal which have been much the same size as Machins.
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

True, but Sierra Leone (West Africa) also used a definitive series of similar sized bird stamps (although theirs were landscape format) and Japan has also issued a number of similarily sized stamps depicting birds too. There will probably be other countries too.

The idea of a definitive stamp is that it is "traditional" stamp sized and the feedback I get from Fiji is that the locals much prefer using the overprints rather than the significantly larger commemoratives when it comes to using them on their mail.
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

lesbootman wrote:A different 1c on 31c overprint has been spotted and reported on the PISC forum. This looks to have a small type overprint with xxx obliterator (similar to the 2010 type overprint setting) but there is variation in the spacing/gap size between "c" and "xxx" on some stamps within the sheet.

There is also a 5c on 31c printed using the same overprint matrix layout (but with the 1c replaced by 5c). I'll add more on this development when I get a bit of time and sort out some pictures.

A used block is pictured on the PISC site.

https://www.pisc.org.uk/forum/topic/186.html
Pictures of blocks of the 1c and 5c overprints illustrating this variety below:

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”