MEDALS AND TOKENS... Show us your stuff and stick em up here

A *LARGE* percentage of stamp collectors also collect various numismatic areas. This is YOUR little corner of the board to ask questions, seek advice, check values, and chat. Please join in!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

briggy59
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Re: MEDALS AND TOKENS... Show us your stuff and stick em up

Post by briggy59 »

This medal was awarded to a spinster relative of the 1800's who devoted her lifetime to raising grapes. In addition to the medal shown below I also have the original painting done of her prize-winning fruits of the vine.

For those here from the Philadelphia area, her graperies were located on what is now part of West Chester University. The medal is pictured in its velvet lined leather case. It's a heavy piece, 4" in diameter and 3/8" thick - lots of heft to this one!

As the family historian, I tend to be the one that all the 'stuff' gets sent to when the older rellies start to down-size, but I don't mind as I end up with some fascinating items!

Last edited by Global Admin on 16 Apr 2014 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing
ewen s
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by ewen s »

Lovely detail on the medal briggy and a great piece of history.

Even better that it is a part of your history
hutch
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by hutch »

I have had a most enjoyable hour or so looking through this thread! So much information! We have a few tokens...somewhere! I shall have to find them and post them up and get some info on them.

Here is a token from Neurnberger. A Speil Marke. Any information would be welcome.

A bit grotty once you get a larger image! Would a soak in olive oil to clear up some of the grot be in order?

I am having fun collecting WW and Indian States.
ewen s

Post by ewen s »

I reckon it looks nice how it is hutch.

When I get a token I give it a wipe with a dry, soft cloth (muslin) then wipe with a touch of olive oil. I wipe excess oil off then place it in my album.

Hope someone helps you with some info on your token :)
VFND55
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by VFND55 »

China War & WW1 medal group to Armourer R.N. Rowley
The group of five medals consisting of:
-China Medal 1900 Boxer Rebellion impressed in typical Royal Navy large capitals, J.H.J.ROWLEY, ARM R. HMS BONAVENTURE
-Royal Navy Long Service & Good Conduct Medal impressed in capitals, J.H.J.ROWLEY, ARMOURER, HMS CAMBRIDGE
-WW1 1914-15 Star impressed, 129213 J.H.J.ROWLEY, ARMR,R.N.
-War Medal impressed, 129213 J.H.J.ROWLEY, ARMR,R.N.
-Victory Medal impressed, 129213 J.H.J.ROWLEY, ARMR,R.N.

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Barefoot
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by Barefoot »

I've really enjoyed reading this thread.
Here are some pics of a medal that I was given by a family member. I have no idea how it came to be in the family, except that we have a possible french ancestor many generations back.
I'd love to know more about it.
My interests are; Children's literature, irises (the flower), frogs, Trains (especially NSW rail), Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Mario, and 80's pop culture (smurfs and other stuff)
and
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by and »

Barefoot wrote: 06 Aug 2016 00:52 Image

I've really enjoyed reading this thread.
Here are some pics of a medal that I was given by a family member. I have no idea how it came to be in the family, except that we have a possible french ancestor many generations back.
I'd love to know more about it.
Hello ,
Its a Medal of Recognition.
Text engraving on the front :
Sociéte de St. Sebastien de Hazebrouck** ,19 Février 1880

Text engraving on back :
Souvenir de la Société du ST.Sébastien a son Secrétaire Mr Victor Vandamme al'ocassion du 30Anniversaire de son entrée dans la Societe 1860-1880.
.......Remembrance/Reminiscence of the Society of St. Sebastian to his Secretary Mr Victor Vandamme on the occasion of the 30th anniversary of his entry in the Society 1860-1880.

Hazebrouck**=Hazebrouck ,Dutch: Hazebroek, pronounced West Flemish: Oazebroeke, is a commune in the Nord department, Hauts-de-France.It was a small market town in Flanders until it became an important railway junction in the 1860s...wiki.

Best Regards
kerema
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Re: MEDALS AND TOKENS... Show us your stuff and stick em up here

Post by kerema »

Just a quick update about the dreaded V.D. In the world of yester-year, V.D. stood for a very civilized " Volunteer Decoration." It was a long service medal for Militia Officers in the 19th. and early 20th. centuries.
volunteer-officers-decoration_10140_main_size3.jpg
Enlisted men in the militia were awarded a few long service medals in this time such as the Volunteer Long Service Medal and the Efficiency Medal.

Regular Soldiers had the Long Service & Good Conduct Medal, but there were no Long Service Medals for Regular Officers. This was corrected in Australia with the introduction of the National Medal and the Defence Force Service Medal
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
- - - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Return to “Coins, Banknotes, tokens, medals and all things NUMISMATIC!”