My signed Arthur Gray/Shreves Australian Kangaroos Auction Catalogue

There are some superb and incredibly useful reference books, and catalogues out there. And tools to measure perforations or paper thickness or LED magnifiers etc Please add your new discoveries - and recommendations to this forum. As in all forums, you can post photos of your favourites and recommendations.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Didge
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

My signed Arthur Gray/Shreves Australian Kangaroos Auction Catalogue

Post by Didge »

Folks,

Having been a lover of books all of my life, that passion drifted into my stamp collecting. I have a large collection of stamp books about subjects that I do not collect, just because I like them.

Now having a purpose built office (read we turned the garage into an office) I am rounding them up from various locations around the house to be stored together.

The absolute favourite of my books is the Arthur Gray Kangaroos Auction catalogue. I am sure many of you would have a copy. Not ever being able to aspire to such a collection, the catalogue will have to suffice.

I was a bit cheeky when chatting with Glen before the sale in New York, and asked him if he might get a copy of the catalogue signed by Arthur Gray for me. He delivered in spades.

My copy is signed by Charles Shreves, the owner of the Auction company that auctioned the collection, Gary Watson from Melbourne, Jeff Mayfield, the Shreves senior describer, and of course Arthur Gray himself.

I am not sure why but Glen did not sign it.

Tim

Gray Catalogue (2).jpg
Gray Catalogue Signatures 1.jpg
Gray Catalogue Signatures 2 (2).jpg
GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Re: My signed Arthur Gray/Shreves Australian Kangaroos Sale Catalogue

Post by GlenStephens »

Tim -- what a 'blast from the past' - the lower signature under Shreve is from Gary Watson, Prestige/mossgreen/Abacus - standing to my left in this photo below. Does not seem 16 years back. He signed it, as Shreve asked him to write a lot of the background notes to the key lots. :)

A $7.15 MILLION sale, and it was only part of Arthur's Roos -- none of the valuable Roos Booklets etc or $ millions of 'spares' were included. And none of the huge Roo CTO collection etc.

The family are still sorting out material. His long time friend Dr. Geoff Kellow was here last week who just been to Nancy's home, looking for a unique piece that Arthur bought just before he passed, and it was misplaced among the other material still on hand.
The Gum Leaf Mafia at Shreves New York, in 2007 for the Arthur Gray Kangaroos sale.
The Gum Leaf Mafia at Shreves New York, in 2007 for the Arthur Gray Kangaroos sale.
A little known fact is that most of Australia's leading stamp dealers were born in BALLARAT Victoria. We discovered this, when at a lavish dinner that Charles Shreve threw before the sale.

Andy and Richard Juzwin, Gary Watson, the late Simon Dunkerley, Stewart Wright (owner of Status Auctions) and myself. Must be something in the water there!

Cherish the catalogue - you got the only signed copy as far as I know. You asked - I delivered. :)

It REMAINS the finest stamp auction catalogue ever produced for stamps anywhere. Hard bound, leather covers, and thick and profusely illustrated.
Gray sale cat cover Feb 2007.jpg

I still get $150 each, as it is an essential reference.

My very detailed report of the Auction is here -

https://www.glenstephens.com/arthur-gray-kangaroos.html

As chance has it, I loaded up the UNIQUE **MUH** Imprint block of £2 Kangaroos from that sale to my Rarity Page, if anyone has a lazy $59,000 laying about. Superb centred and fresh and stunning, WITH plate varieties too! :)

1934 Superb centred totally fresh 1934 **MUH** £2 Kangaroo Ash Imprint block 4 ex Arthur Gray: Where it was invoiced for $A60,375 plus 10% inward GST = $A66,412 = 16 years back - and when the ACSC cat was near HALF today's rate! (My asking price is amazingly, way under that Gray Auction figure.) Later sold at the huge Julian Sterling Auction for $55,000 in 2014. Believed the only real *MUH* block extant in private hands. This was literally SIXTEEN weeks WAGES for anyone who did have a job in The Great Depression. HINGED blocks have sold for around this price. :!:

A rare and totally Unique Gray catalogue - keep it safe!

Glen
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
GlenStephens

Re: My signed Arthur Gray/Shreves Australian Kangaroos Sale Catalogue

Post by GlenStephens »

I recall Tim asked me to buy him the superb £2 Kangaroo SPERATI FORGERY Arthur Gray had which sold for a few $1000s. (These forgeries cost MORE than a genuine used £2 roo First Watermark!)

I asked Arthur if he could sign the Shreve's auction card and he kindly did -

“Tim, enjoy the Sperati as much as I did - Regards, Arthur Gray.”

Tim later sold the Sperati, and another stampboards member PeeVee bought it. 8-)

Huge amount of detail on the superb Sperati stamp forgeries here -

https://www.glenstephens.com/sperati.html

Feb19-Sperati 2pd roo on Shreve lot card to Tim (2).jpg

And this is PeeVees 1913 Kangaroos page -

Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Catweazle
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: My signed Arthur Gray/Shreves Australian Kangaroos Auction Catalogue

Post by Catweazle »

Lovely editions, you have there!

How our views on these Kangaroo issues have changed since these statements in Adelaide's The Register in 1917! :lol:
The Register, "Wanted, A Stamp." (Adelaide, 17 January 1913), p 6.
The Register, "Wanted, A Stamp." (Adelaide, 17 January 1913), p 6.
The Register (17 Jan 1913) wrote:...The pitiful blunder made by the McGowen Government in evicting the Governor-General from Government House, Sydney, ought to have been the last egregious mistake of the kind by those in authority in any part of Australia. Yet that which is intended to inaugurate a uniform Australian stamp issue has proved another instance in which there is a danger of an Australian decision being interpreted as an affront to the Crown, though, of course, this was never intended. The new stamp is a most paltry device, from the standpoint of art, or as expressive of Australian sentiment. It is one of the worst of Commonwealth advertisements, particularly at a time when the High Commissioner and others are doing their best to fill our vacant spaces with people from the motherland. The issue should be promptly withdrawn, and a new stamp substituted which will be in keeping with Australia's nationalism and material productiveness, and definitely symbolize our firm attachment to the ruler of the "British Dominions beyond the seas."
Collecting Stamps & Postal History of Molokai | Polar Regions in WWII | Chatham Islands | Lord Howe Island | Greenland et hoc genus omne

Return to “Knowledge really is POWER in this hobby! Catalogues, journals and reference books.”