Are these bags safe for holding stamps or coins?

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

MPSStampCollect
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Are these bags safe for holding stamps or coins?

Post by MPSStampCollect »

Package of EVA bags.
Package of EVA bags.
I picked up these bags as they were on sale, and I thought they might make safe temporary storage for stamps or coins. They are made of soft, thick, transparent plastic and the content list seemed interesting.

They are claimed to be of "FDA-grade EVA (Ethylene-vinyl acetate)". They are also claimed to be free of "BPA (Bisphenol A), BPS (Bisphenol S), BPF (Bisphenol F), PVC (Polyvinyl chloride), and Phthalates". (My parenthesis)

On the other hand, a web search revealed: "...the key is to use materials that are acid-free, lignin-free, and pH-neutral to prevent any damage..." I do not know if this applies to EVA.

Opinions would be welcome.
ddaann
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Re: Are these bags safe for holding stamps or coins?

Post by ddaann »

My recommendation is to store stamps for your purposes in glassine envelopes. Not too many per envelope.

Any bag will not protect your stamps from perf creases or worse.
I am "ddaannv" on ebay, Dan at Dan's Stamps on HipStamp, and an APS member 86690 since 1976. Currently listing some British colonies, Disney, birds on stamps, and world-wide souvenir sheets including some on cover.
Brit-Col
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Brit-Col »

At most any stamp show you can find “baggie lots” of stamps in Zip-Loc type sandwich bags. Also often found in estate lots and the like where they have been for potentially years.

Considering they are literally safe enough to eat out of I wouldn’t be concerned about temporary storage of common stamps. Expensive and rare stamps deserve appropriate care and storage of course.

I’m not much of a coin collector but I’ve got leftover coins from my travels in such bags as well, but again, rare or valuable collectible coins should have proper protective storage.

BC
Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from poor judgment.
InTheGreatKhansTent

Post by InTheGreatKhansTent »

I use Ziplock bags quite often when I have been sorting stamps, if the numbers are too great to be stored in Glassine envelopes, for years and my stamps have been safe and sound. Mostly, you have to take care of them as one usually does, don't let them tear, or get damaged and your stamps will be safe and sound.

Much like what Brit-Col said, there are better ways to protect rare and expensive stamps, but Ziplock baggies work very well.

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”