Gold Buffalo coin found in Scottish Charity collection tin worth £1400

A *LARGE* percentage of stamp collectors also collect various numismatic areas. This is YOUR little corner of the board to ask questions, seek advice, check values, and chat. Please join in!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Gold Buffalo coin found in Scottish Charity collection tin worth £1400

Post by norvic »

From the BBC

US Gold $50 coin - the Gold Buffalo - of 2015.
US Gold $50 coin - the Gold Buffalo - of 2015.
A foreign coin deposited into a charity's collection can has been called a "Christmas cracker" after it turned out to be worth £1,462.

The 2015 American Gold Buffalo 50-dollar coin was donated to Scotland's Charity Air Ambulance (SCAA).

Its true value was only discovered after being sent to a foreign currency exchange.

As the charity has collection cans all over Scotland it said it had no way of knowing where it was handed in.

SCAA community fundraising manager Kate Loades said when the cans are emptied and counted any foreign, out-of-date or misshapen coins are gathered in a box.

"When we have enough foreign coinage, it is sent for conversion to Sterling for our funds," she said.

"It could have been donated anywhere in Scotland. All we know is that we're hugely grateful to whatever kind person parted with their US coin to support the work of SCAA.

"Their generosity helps us to respond to critical injury and illness wherever we're needed in Scotland, so we thank them for making one of our collection cans a real Christmas cracker."

The American Buffalo coin, also known as a gold buffalo, contains one-troy ounce (31.1g) of pure gold and has a face value of $50(£38).
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details. Mystery Postcard Nos: 255/8,261/5,270/3/5/9,284,290-3/7-9, 304, 310/6-8, 320/2/4/6-8, 331/7-8, 344-9 350-8
JohnB
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: Gold Buffalo found in Scottish Charity collection tin worth £1400

Post by JohnB »

Nice coin and a good show of honesty from the foreign currency dealer.

Now to check my jam jar in the garage.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Gold Buffalo coin found in Scottish Charity collection tin worth £1400

Post by Global Admin »

Added the word COIN into heading.

A Buffalo fitting into in a charity tin would be quite something! :lol:
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
norvic

Post by norvic »

I was running out of character space, and decided that as it is in the numismatics folder, most people would accept the (supposedly well-known) Gold Buffalo was a coin.

But thank you, you found space.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details. Mystery Postcard Nos: 255/8,261/5,270/3/5/9,284,290-3/7-9, 304, 310/6-8, 320/2/4/6-8, 331/7-8, 344-9 350-8
OldColdStar
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by OldColdStar »

I volunteer for a local hospice checking donations we receive for our charity shops and selecting items that have some special value. Anything stamp or coin related gets passed to me for checking.

About 3 months ago I was handed a collection of old British coins (Queen Victoria to King George V eras). Mostly a random selection of pennies, halfpenny’s, shillings etc.

Fairly typical of the sort of item we normally get donated. I was amazed to find tucked away in this lot a single gold sovereign! Quite dirty so it wasn’t obvious at first glance. I’m sure the donor had no idea it was in the collection. Got nearly £400 for it!

A couple of years ago I found a rare early 19th century colonial Indian gold coin in a donation. Had a catalogue value of well over £1000! Unfortunately someone had converted it to a brooch so we were only able to get scrap value of a few hundred pounds!

I come across a few interesting stamps and coins from time to time, but mostly what I see has very little value! It’s great fun, you never know what’s going to turn up, and for a good cause.

Return to “Coins, Banknotes, tokens, medals and all things NUMISMATIC!”