Questions re these Queen Victoria South Australia stamp varieties?

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Shane Stringer
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Questions re these Queen Victoria South Australia stamp varieties?

Post by Shane Stringer »

I was quite curious about these South Australian stamps, I thought they must be from before federation, and I guess that's Queen Victoria.

Anyone have any info on these?

fromdownunder
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by fromdownunder »

MOD HAT ON

Shane, I have split this post from the thread you posted it on. It would be better for you to start a new thread when you are starting an entirely new topic.

MOD HAT OFF

These were issued for use in South Australia before the first Australian stamps were issued in 1913. There are many perforation and watermark varieties in these issues, but to hazard a complete guess, I would say the ones you have would be one of the later printings, and be early 20th Century.

If you are interested in value, they are not worth very much at all. As per the Lyrebirds on the thread I moved this post from, cents each at best.

I need to say that well over 90% of all stamps ever issued, even many of those dating back to the 19th century have minimal value. Most are letter rate, and were issued in their Millions upon Millions- and posting letters was the major way of communicating way back when, and hobbies like stamp collecting were more popular than they are now.

So the survival rate of most old stamp issues (and don't ask me who calculated this, and how) is usually given at between 4-7% for very common stamps such as the South Australian stamps you posted. Which still leaves millions of each issue existing.

Very few stamp "finds", I am tempted to say none but there are extremely rare exceptions, will make a person rich.

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain
dhp
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by dhp »

Shane
You will find my response in your inbox.
I buy these by the hundred at 3 dollars a hundred .
hoping to find a decent postmark among them.
Generally don't find one.
PRO DEO ET PATRIA
alan

Re: SA stamps

Post by alan »

So, can you guys help me out on this one. What is it?

Alan
norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re:

Post by norvic »

fromdownunder wrote:MOD HAT ON
Shane, I have split this post from the thread you posted it on. It would be better for you to start a new thread when you are starting an entirely new topic.
MOD HAT OFF
Norm, it might be appropriate to expand the shorthand in the subject line to show that it isn't South Africa
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details. Mystery Postcard Nos: 255/8,261/5,270/3/5/9,284,290-3/7-9, 304, 310/6-8, 320/2/4/6-8, 331/7-8, 344-9 350-8
ozstamps
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Re: SA stamps

Post by ozstamps »

Or Salvation Army. ;)
dhp

Re: South Australia stamps

Post by dhp »

This is a nice copy of S G 35 south australia's first tenpenny stamp.
24.000 were printed and there are 6 varieties .of which this is a number 4 variety.The key is the shape of the letters ten pence.
Hope you find my comments helpful..
PRO DEO ET PATRIA
alan

Post by alan »

Yes I do, and thankyou!

Alan
cyber
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by cyber »

Good evening :mrgreen: ,

since we are on the topic of the tenpence surchage, maybe I can get an answer to my question posted a while ago:

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10808" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How do I tell apart the six different varieties, and which one is my stamp?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Michael :mrgreen:

Best regards
Michael
Looking for "Shilling Violet" journal, Dec. 2012 issue
josto
I was online for post number TEN MILLION!

Post by josto »

Hi!

I`ve also found 4 ten pence overprint stamps. Could anyone help with identification? Is there also one with one of these 6 varieties?

Thanks a lot
josto

Post by josto »

Hi!

I didn`t find a better thread dealing with South Australia stamps, so maybe I`m right here!? I found this 2d orange overprinted OS with a curious overprint variety. Has anyone seen this before?

I also don`t know if there are any constant overprint varieties existing on South Australia stamps!? The O looks like a Q!?

I think maybe it is just a transient "bullet hole" overprint flaw resulting from an ink blob, but nevertheless it looks quite interesting!? Any comments are welcome!

Greetings

josto
Last edited by Global Admin on 09 Jan 2020 10:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and "air" to UNJAM it all - always a great idea on all posts on Bulletin Boards!
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Questions re South Australia stamps

Post by Global Admin »

Josto -- very strange - almost looks like a deliberate printer error, but if so, it would be catalogued.

Probably just a transient inking freak, but very striking. :mrgreen:

Donate it to the Stampboards Bushire Appeal maybe -- probably will get a good price!

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89068
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
DJM

Post by DJM »

Does anyone on this thread own a Stamp catalogue of some kind ??

Great Flaw Josto !! I'd bid for it..

d.
josto

Post by josto »

Hello,

can anyone help me with this South Australia stamp? When I see things like that, I go for a forgery, but it would nevertheless be great to hear some comments from the South Australia experts.

The stamp has a red 3 Pence overprint and an additional faint black 3 Pence overprint.

I haven't seen something like that, so I would expect it to be a forgery, but maybe anyone else has seen something like that!?

s-l1600 (30).jpg
Greetings

Josto
Last edited by Global Admin on 28 Dec 2020 07:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards! Use the "PREVIEW" button folks. It is there for a GOOD reason.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Questions re these South Australia stamps?

Post by Global Admin »

You lazily have not given us SG number, but looking at it, it appears to be perf 10 - SG 91/93a not the earlier perf 11.5.

SG lists Black overprints, and red overprints, but not both.

The Red is cat 4 times the Black, so there is your answer!

The Black overprint is GENERALLY pretty darkly applied -

s-l1600f.jpg
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
josto

Re: Questions re these South Australia stamps?

Post by josto »

Hello,

can anyone perhaps assist me with a question about earlier South Australia issues?

I found three examples of the QV 2d orange perf.10 watermark crown SA, which are printed on very thin prelure (transucend) paper. Two of the examples are dated 1874. All three show the watermark shining through when seen from the front and on the back they show the coloured printing from the back darkly looking through. In SG I only found a general entry of an orange and a brick red example, but nothing mentioned about a thin paper. Does anyone know, if there is more information about such a thin paper variety somwhere? Would be nice to get some information!
South Australia 2d orange THIN PAPER.jpg
South Australia 2d orange THIN PAPER back.jpg
Greetings

josto
bathurst stamper
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: Questions re these Queen Victoria South Australia stamp varieties?

Post by bathurst stamper »

I'd imagine the paper would've been supplied by De La Rue, as it was for New South Wales, so there will be variances in the paper thickness.

I have a few NSW DLR stamps that are on similar, pelure like paper, where the watermark really stands out. Two are dated 1872 and another dated 1880. All three are on 1d stamps.

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”