The Numerical Stamp Grading Fad - will it ever occur outside the USA?

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

DavidSaks
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Re: Numerical Stamp Grading - will it ever occur outside the USA?

Post by DavidSaks »

psestamp wrote: 05 Aug 2023 11:02 We are in a Recessionary Inflationary cycle and as such.... This is what happens.
What the f*** is "Recessionary Inflationary" ?

A decline in employment and an increase in price gouging worthless stamps ?
More obnoxious PSE circumlocution ?

All of the above....?
satsuma
I was online for post number TEN MILLION!
I was online for post number TEN MILLION!

Re: The Numerical Stamp Grading Fad - will it ever occur outside the USA?

Post by satsuma »

After 2900 posts, can we summarize this thread in a few points?

1. None of Caj's posts have increased the likelihood of stamp grading becoming a universal norm.
2. Plenty of Caj's posts have equivocated when asked for facts, or even a supported opinion.
3. The overall tenor of CAj's posts have decreased his own, and PSE's reputation in the market.
4. The likelihood of this ever changing for the better is somewhat lower than that of Caj's presidential success.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

satsuma wrote: 09 Sep 2023 13:21
After 2900 posts, can we summarise this thread in a few points?

1. None of Caj's posts have increased the likelihood of stamp grading becoming a universal norm.
2. Plenty of Caj's posts have equivocated, when asked for facts, or even a supported opinion.
3. The overall tenor of CAj's posts have decreased his own, and PSE's reputation in the market.
4. The likelihood of this ever changing for the better is somewhat lower than that of Caj's presidential success.

Seems the case - but we are in an "Recessionary Inflationary" era he assures us. :!: :!: :!:

PSE stamp Numbarrh Graydead is another failed and flopped American Fad. Disappeared into a Las Vegas all-you-can-eat Buffet. And after 10 years Caj STILL is too thick to be able to spell my name correctly. He can always go back to selling his 'How to Cheat At Poker' book if he fails to make President.

Does anyone know what the APS decided, after the complaints made against Caj's co-owner partner Scott Murphy over them issuing PSE GRAYDEAD 'MUH' stamps as suddenly being 'GENUINE USED' weeks later, after a Kinkos $5 rubber stamp cancel was added?? (Caj of course is conveniently no longer an APS or ASDA member, so they need to chase SOMEONE over this shell game.)

Glen
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by The Pom »

satsuma wrote: 09 Sep 2023 13:21 After 2900 posts, can we summarize this thread in a few points?

2. Plenty of Caj's posts have equivocated when asked for facts, or even a supported opinion.
More often than not, he simply ignores the questions, rather than equivocating.
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.
The Pom

Post by The Pom »

psestamp wrote: 09 Sep 2023 08:37
norvic wrote: 26 Aug 2023 06:55
psestamp wrote: 26 Aug 2023 05:25
As for being a PSE PR Man - I need to ask for a raise. But I will accept this - Let PSE benefit from informing people when they spell their name wrong.

Also:
Blog
noun
a regularly updated website or web page, typically one run by an individual or small group, that is written in an informal or conversational style.

So is your argument that this isnt regularly updated (??) or a web page (??) or run by an individual or small group (??) or is written in an informal or conversational style (??).
Your so called definition of a blog is from Website glossary "Our gobbledygook translator" or from another source using that as its source. The rest of the translator reads:
"In many business WordPress websites this would be setup as the news section and take a more formal approach."

It's wrong.

Cambridge Dictionary
Blog:
1. a website on which one person or group puts new information regularly, often every day;
2. a regular record of your thoughts, opinions, or experiences that you put on the internet for other people to read;
3. a record of news, people's opinions, photos, and videos about a particular subject that someone puts on the internet and adds information, pictures, etc. to regularly.

Merriam-Webster
a website that contains online personal reflections, comments, and often hyperlinks, videos, and photographs provided by the writer

Wikipedia
A blog (a truncation of "weblog") is an informational website published on the World Wide Web consisting of discrete, often informal diary-style text entries (posts). Posts are typically displayed in reverse chronological order so that the most recent post appears first, at the top of the web page. Until 2009, blogs were usually the work of a single individual, occasionally of a small group, and often covered a single subject or topic.

This is an Internet Forum. Sources explain this as:

PCMag: A website that provides an online exchange of information between people about a particular topic. It provides a venue for questions and answers and may be monitored to keep the content appropriate. Also called a "discussion board" or "discussion group," an Internet forum is similar to an Internet newsgroup (see below), but uses the Web browser for access. Before the Web, text-only forums were common on bulletin boards and proprietary online services. However, Internet forums include all the extras people expect from the Web, including images, videos, downloads and links, sometimes functioning as a mini-portal on the topic.

Wikipedia: An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages. They differ from chat rooms in that messages are often longer than one line of text, and are at least temporarily archived. Also, depending on the access level of a user or the forum set-up, a posted message might need to be approved by a moderator before it becomes publicly visible.

Forums have a specific set of jargon associated with them; for example, a single conversation is called a "thread", or topic.

A discussion forum is hierarchical or tree-like in structure; a forum can contain a number of subforums, each of which may have several topics. Within a forum's topic, each new discussion started is called a thread and can be replied to by as many people as they so wish.
I am so confused - You say I am wrong and then show stuff that shows I am not?????
Or are you saying that MESSAGE BOARD is your preferred pronoun to "Blog"?
I actually agree - MESSABE BOARD does sound better then B..L..O..G :roll:

Lets get back to Glen or Glenn - That is an easier conversation to understand and has the benefit of not having dueling dictionary definitions
MODERATOR COMMENT

Caj,

Just for once in your life: read, absorb & act on moderator requests. It was clearly stated just above your post that there should be no further discussion suggesting that this is a blog, or that Glen's name is Glenn.

Final warning: Stick to grading, rather than this drivel above. Any further posts not on the topic of grading will be deleted, and possibly accompanied by suspension from the Board.

Similarly, any attempts to correct Caj should be avoided, as he is quite clearly either a completely lost cause, or just trolling. I suspect the former, as the latter would be giving him too much credit.

Thanks
Perfnut

Post by Perfnut »

A bit late to this party, but I've seen up close coin selling and grading. I don't buy/collect coins, but my business life gave me a good intro to this. To me, it's appears to be a potential racket. A dealer buys a coin graded MSX. It then sends the coin off for a regrading. Most of them come back MS +1 or 2. Dealer then raise price of coin accordingly.

If this kind of situation isn't fertile ground for some type of "incentive" off the books, then I'm just an old suspicious fart (which I likely am anyway).
norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by norvic »

The Pom wrote: 09 Sep 2023 22:27
MODERATOR COMMENT

Caj,

Just for once in your life: read, absorb & act on moderator requests. It was clearly stated just above your post that there should be no further discussion suggesting that this is a blog, or that Glen's name is Glenn.

Final warning: Stick to grading, rather than this drivel above. Any further posts not on the topic of grading will be deleted, and possibly accompanied by suspension from the Board.

Similarly, any attempts to correct Caj should be avoided, as he is quite clearly either a completely lost cause, or just trolling. I suspect the former, as the latter would be giving him too much credit.

Thanks
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details. Mystery Postcard Nos: 255/8,261/5,270/3/5/9,284,290-3/7-9, 304, 310/6-8, 320/2/4/6-8, 331/7-8, 344-9 350-8
rehautala
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by rehautala »

This item July 10th 2023 sold on But It Now for $999 Cnd. The link says "ended" but it shows up when doing a search on sold items.

Yes, it's a nice jumbo, but this issue has many jumbos due to the way it was perforated. While this one is particularly large, is a $1 stamp (likely a bit more due to its nice cancel and jumbo status - $10+?) really worth $1000?

I've got similar nice jumbos in my collection. I would be ashamed to sell mine for this amount (or get them graded to entice the less knowledgeable).

It's a later common issue (and cancel) 3c Small Queen (not even the scarcer early printing).

It has stains/probably foxing. I would avoid it just for that reason.

American buyer? I'm confident that a Canadian collector (especially someone familiar with this issue) would never pay this amount. It will never resell for anywhere near this. The bunnies are out there, and that is why grading is still a thing. Seller cashed in.

It comes with a 2022 PSE Cert.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313363975537?hash=item48f5f2cd71:g: ... R5CS_7LPYg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
Attachments
s-l1600 (1).jpg
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I'd like to see how they explain that it is a '98'. It has many faults visible to anyones eye, one of them being no where near dead centre, short perfs and foxing. That's some definition for "superb". :roll:

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
capetriangle
I made Post number TEN MILLION: February 2023
I made Post number TEN MILLION: February 2023

Post by capetriangle »

Allanswood

If it had Foundation callable faults, it could not have been graded. (policy)

Apparently they did not perceive the foxing spot or the short perf.

Kindest regards

Richard
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Its covered in spots of rust and at least 5 short perfs.

The sales blurb said this was the highest grade any 3c Queen had been given and it alone has the grade.
So best of the best? :oops:

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Allanswood wrote: 10 Sep 2023 09:20 I'd like to see how they explain that it is a '98'. It has many faults visible to anyones eye, one of them being no where near dead centre, short perfs and foxing. That's some definition for "superb". :roll:

They are aiming at Americans who apparently do not use their eyes when buying stamps, only NUMBARRHASS. Can they see 2 perfs are about to fall off? Of course not.

They should all go back to peddling 'How To Cheat At Poker' books like Caj, if these lazy Morons cannot see this is a BADLY foxed stamp, all across the stamp, that will get FAR worse in the next decade - this is a living, growing, paper cancer in this stamp.

$A1,150 for a $1 retail badly foxed stamp - welcome to GRAYDEAD. The land of Zombie Brain Dead Lemmings. :roll:

Capture.JPG
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
polisciguy2011
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by polisciguy2011 »

Perfnut wrote: 10 Sep 2023 00:31 A bit late to this party, but I've seen up close coin selling and grading. I don't buy/collect coins, but my business life gave me a good intro to this. To me, it's appears to be a potential racket. A dealer buys a coin graded MSX. It then sends the coin off for a regrading. Most of them come back MS +1 or 2. Dealer then raise price of coin accordingly.

If this kind of situation isn't fertile ground for some type of "incentive" off the books, then I'm just an old suspicious fart (which I likely am anyway).
See, I have less ambivalence or opposition to coin grading (as someone who collects coins on the side as well). I think it's possible to be more "objective" regarding coin grades than it is stamps, where there is so much that goes into the condition of something made of paper versus a coin made of metal. My issue, though, is that the coin grading system is far outdated (it was based on a 1949 scientific study of early US pennies, IIRC) and the terminology is opaque enough to confuse anyone not instantly familiar with it. "Good" being on the very low end of the scale, for instance, confuses my casual collector father to no end.

Stamp grading, on the other hand, seems to only ever consider one factor, as this thread has litigated over and over again. And while I understand why, it's why I am oppositional to it playing a bigger role in collecting. We already have expertization/authentication for rare and oft-faked pieces, or to detect repairs to the stamp. Surely centering and eye-appeal are always going to be something considered in the eye of the beholder?
-- Zach --
Collecting Interests: Benelux, Scandinavia, German area, Sarawak, KGV Silver Jubilee, Italy, Spain, Israel, France/Colonies
JCStamps
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by JCStamps »

psestamp wrote

We actually raised our fees (partly because 3c Commems used to be easy but now we need to check all the used ones against the data base looking for fake cancels). That aside, we are suffering the same problem the Baseball Card graders faced. Popularity of grading is increasing and it is effecting our turn-around times.
When I was offered these two graded 100 stamps with fake cancels I did not need to refer to a database to know they were fake. The overall look of the cancels was clearly wrong to anyone familiar with the stamps of this period. After my passing on these stamps they were listed for sale on eBay by another dealer who was fooled. (see photo)

PSE has removed many of the fake stamps with this particular cancel, (more than 35), from their database. Most of the fakes do not have a corresponding previously certified mint stamp to compare to.

Caj has not addressed any substantive issue related to these fakes head-on. He did publish here seven pages related to a previous groups of fakes made by a different device and faker.

His role as PR spokesman related to this issue is complicated by the fact that his business partner has made on the record statements that add complications to his narrative. Still waiting for Caj to explain how PSE managed to confiscate the device used to make the fake cancels.
Attachments
fakecancelsonebay copy.png
The Pom

Post by The Pom »

MODERATOR COMMENT

Hi,
Please use the "PREVIEW" button when quoting posts to check you've got things right to avoid posts such as the one above where the quoted & "new" text are not separated.

Also, please use the "Place inline" button when posting images to avoid the ugly white border with the word "Attachments" around every image.

Image tutorial: https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=90770

psestamp

Post by psestamp »

satsuma wrote: 09 Sep 2023 13:21 After 2900 posts, can we summarize this thread in a few points?

I totally agree with #1 - It is like selling Arby's Roast Beef sandwiches to Vegans - But I have fun here.
#2 - I ALWAYS give facts - You are probably just bad at words - You know - The English Language
#3 - In Australia? To you folks? Should I care?
#4 - What can I say - when faced with morons you either ignore them or.... See #1
Stamp Collecting Happened when we Dream Together
Caj Brejtfus, PSE -WE KILL FAKE STAMPS. and always remember...... DFTBA
psestamp

Re: Numerical Stamp Grading - will it ever occur outside the USA?

Post by psestamp »

DavidSaks wrote: 09 Sep 2023 09:30
psestamp wrote: 05 Aug 2023 11:02 We are in a Recessionary Inflationary cycle and as such.... This is what happens.
What the f*** is "Recessionary Inflationary" ?

A decline in employment and an increase in price gouging worthless stamps ?
More obnoxious PSE circumlocution ?

All of the above....?
Recessionary Inflation is exactly what you are seeing now in Australia as well as most of the world.

Prices are going up across the board which is inflation and recession is a contraction in BUSINESS (not just employment) though you should see that the quality of jobs in declining with increases in part time and service employment.

In Recessions, discressionary spending declines and in Inflation, people look to hard assets (not currency or bank accounts, to hold value in their money.

This causes cheaper stamps to drop in value while "investment" stamps increase. (and I do not see stamps as "investments" any more than I see going to a movie as an "investment" - it improves your joy but should not be viewed as wg=hat you get in the future beyond a return of your stamp purchase price at some level).

And what does this have to do with PSE? They are a stamp organization and not an economic education establishment or a hedge fund.
psestamp

Post by psestamp »

The Pom wrote: 09 Sep 2023 22:27
Caj,

Thanks
I have read - i simply do not agree.

Read the above yourself and tell me your opinion (which definition do you go with). Which definition do you choose to go by (And yes - it is a choice) is a choice based on your history. When there are multiple definitions of what a thing is and they are all credible, then you must choose which definition you take on.

I choose to go with the Dictionary verses Wikipedia - mostly because Wikipedia changes its opinions based on the contributes and editing where as a dictionary holds its definitions in a much more consistent setting.

I have never said anything harsh about your choice of a definition (or maybe I did if you were coming off as an ass - and you probably feel the same about me) but I choose that dictionary definition while you do not - and neither of us is wrong until the dictionary changes - then I will be wrong - or Wikipedia changes and then you will be.
steevh

Post by steevh »

please do not feed the troll.
GB1840
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by GB1840 »

Exactly, Caj just enjoys pulling our chain, ignore him.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

So Caj still has a job?

Wonder of wonders.

PSE must be desperate.
ausman1000

Post by ausman1000 »

I'll just drop this here...
s-l1600.jpg
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

A superb example to PROOOVE these Las Vegas hucksters at PSE should stick to slabbing US issues. They barely get that accurate and should NEVER venture past those.

With all the recent scandal in a PSE re them grading stamps with laughingly fake machine cancels as '100J genuine used' that they only months before graded as 'Mint never hinged' with a different centering NUMBHARRH (!!!) clearly shows their domestic business must have crashed, so they are venturing further afield.

Their own website boasts they do not grade fake cancels or re-perforated stamps - YES THEY DO FOLKS!!! They'll cheerfully take your bucks to do it.

pse.JPG

Last I heard the APS were investigating that fake cancel tsunami, and OF COURSE PSE are not members of the ASDA in the USA any more - that speaks volumes to most. :!: :!: :!:

At least doing imperfs they cannot miss re-perforating on USA stamps which they are great at not picking, as we clearly see above.

They clearly are too lazy or too stupid, and/or do not have the brains to even PLATE the stamp - guys there are only 11 possibles all easily identified - and THAT is where the retail value lies in 1d blacks. A plate 11 versus plate 1 is $1000s difference.

SG lists and prices all 1d Black Plate numbers. Have done for 150 years. PSE have never seen an SG catalogue, most likely, but it remains a fact.

All collectors can do 1d Black plating for FREE right here - who needs these hucksters? -

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=22503&start=2307

OR instead of hitting the 'All You Can Eat Elvis Buffett' for lunch, they can spend the same bucks on buying one of these -

OK so the Las Vegas Ponzi Scheme merchants tell us this is a lowly '70' grade - a total 'junk' grade stamp, for all intents and purposes, for any stamp issue.

In the REAL world, that the rest of us live in, this is 'a 4 clear to wide margin 1d Black'. Mid to higher grade re margins. A blind nun can see that from 5 yards away. PSE cannot -- does this surprise anyone? They assign it to junk copy 70 centred grade.

A quick wash and this would turn into a MOST acceptable copy for 95% of collectors.

Sister Mary Clueless wants to join PSE - she is well qualified
billw2
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by billw2 »

Man I missed Glen frothing at the mouth over PSE.

They do offer plating of stamps, but just like the PF, PSAG and others there is a charge for it and it is an optional service. I believe it’s usually an extra $20-25.

70 isn’t a horrible grade, it’s the grade of “Fine” and yes the stamp is a 4 margin example with good margins especially at left and would otherwise grade Very Fine-Extremely fine perhaps even extremely fine which would be grades of 85-90.

However the stamp is toned and has a small crease so they “net graded” it down to 70.

The PF will not grace faulty stamps, PSE has been known to net grade them. I somewhere have a decently centered 3c 1861 with is graded Poor 05. It’s just got a bunch of faults so it was net graded down like crazy.

I’m personally not a fan of net grading, be it coins or stamps but not my decision. I’d personally rather have one without the toning and crease but smaller margins but that’s just me.

There’s gotta be something in here for you to sink your teeth into haha.
doc
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by doc »

Only a complete fool would ask these money grabbing cowboys to grade a 1d black.
Thank for reading - doc
The Pom

Post by The Pom »

So how would the brains at PSE grade the stamps in this block? Column D stamps are centred right, and column E stamps to the left. Clearly poor examples.
1840-1d-black-plate-6-Burrus-mint-block-2.jpg
steevh

Post by steevh »

The first thing to do with an ugly block like that is chop it up and create a few jumbos.
The Pom

Post by The Pom »

Ah, yes, but it would still be off-centre. :)

What's this? About a 70J?
1840-1d-black-plate-6-Burrus-mint-block-2.jpg
The Pom

Post by The Pom »

steevh wrote: 10 Dec 2023 01:03 The first thing to do with an ugly block like that is chop it up and create a few jumbos.
You could only get one Jumbo out of it!
billw2

Post by billw2 »

In case anyone actually is curious about stamp grading…. Here’s a few imperf graded stamps that I have.

Both of the bottom stamps are graded 85 by PSE. I like the one with balanced margins better but these should give someone an idea of how imperforate stamps are graded. On these it’s not just centering as it would be on perforated stamps.

On the second stamp I paid extra to have the plating confirmed.
IMG_5388.jpeg
IMG_5387.jpeg
IMG_5385.jpeg
IMG_5382.jpeg
IMG_5383.jpeg
IMG_5384.jpeg
Last edited by billw2 on 10 Dec 2023 04:35, edited 1 time in total.
billw2

Post by billw2 »

And here is a very extreme example of “net grading”. This stamp is graded Poor 05 but if it wasn’t faulty it would have likely graded VG60.

I can only guess whomever submitted it for a cert thought it was a Pink shade and not the dirt common rose shade. This stamp is likely worth less than the stock card it’s in 😂

I bought it already “graded” as a curiosity.
IMG_5381.jpeg
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Well if this is a high 85 centering grade it proves PSE have lost the plot. :roll:
norvic

Post by norvic »

Global Admin wrote: 10 Dec 2023 04:36

Well if this is a high 85 centering grade it proves PSE have lost the plot. :roll:
It’s 4 margins :D
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details. Mystery Postcard Nos: 255/8,261/5,270/3/5/9,284,290-3/7-9, 304, 310/6-8, 320/2/4/6-8, 331/7-8, 344-9 350-8
billw2

Post by billw2 »

4 margins = VF = Grade of 80.

I think the large top margin bumped it to 85. I have to plate it but it’s from the top row I’m sure.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

billw2 wrote: 10 Dec 2023 07:51
I have to plate it, but it’s from the top row I’m sure.

Me, I'd guess position 5R3 for some reason. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's be $US50 please. :mrgreen:
billw2

Post by billw2 »

Global Admin wrote: 10 Dec 2023 10:47
billw2 wrote: 10 Dec 2023 07:51
I have to plate it, but it’s from the top row I’m sure.

Me, I'd guess position 5R3 for some reason. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's be $US50 please. :mrgreen:
Never ever trust random plating on these…. I’ve seen way too many that are wrong. If it’s in Chases hand or someone like Bill Amonette fine. Plus if it is plate 3 then a number of plate 3 stamps have pretty decent upper margins.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

PayPal is fine ....... or axes or beads .... 8-)
billw2

Post by billw2 »

Global Admin wrote: 10 Dec 2023 18:22 PayPal is fine ....... or axes or beads .... 8-)
I’ll send you a few 3 cent 1851s that have been incorrectly plated. You up for the challenge?
JCStamps

Post by JCStamps »

Caj,

Why do PSE Certified stamps with fake cancels continue to show up on ebay and in major auctions over the past few months, long after you have claimed to have solved the problem of the fakes?

PSE could easily publish a list of all the fakes they "know" about and offer some protection to future buyers. I've urged PSE to do so for years now.
psestamp

Post by psestamp »

norvic wrote: 10 Dec 2023 05:06
Global Admin wrote: 10 Dec 2023 04:36

It’s 4 margins :D
Again - I don't think that this audience understands grading from these posts.

Read StanGib or Scott or Michel. 4 margins does not mean anything. It is a combination of margins (size and balance) and faults.
psestamp

Post by psestamp »

billw2 wrote: 10 Dec 2023 04:34 And here is a very extreme example of “net grading”. This stamp is graded Poor 05 but if it wasn’t faulty it would have likely graded VG60.

I can only guess whomever submitted it for a cert thought it was a Pink shade and not the dirt common rose shade. This stamp is likely worth less than the stock card it’s in 😂

If you see a #65 - it is almost guaranteed that the person was hopeful of getting a PINK cert (Scott #64).
Just FYI - since 2015 PSE does not put a grade less than 50 on a certificate unless it is specifically requested.
For example - the 1c Magenta is a grade 5 or 10 but that grade would never be on the certificate.
billw2

Post by billw2 »

psestamp wrote: Again - I don't think that this audience understands grading from these posts.
Caj, I think we figured that out some years back :lol:
billw2

Post by billw2 »

psestamp wrote: 22 Dec 2023 05:58
billw2 wrote: 10 Dec 2023 04:34 And here is a very extreme example of “net grading”. This stamp is graded Poor 05 but if it wasn’t faulty it would have likely graded VG60.

If you see a #65 - it is almost guaranteed that the person was hopeful of getting a PINK cert (Scott #64).
Just FYI - since 2015 PSE does not put a grade less than 50 on a certificate unless it is specifically requested.
For example - the 1c Magenta is a grade 5 or 10 but that grade would never be on the certificate.
Exactly what I thought. I remember when I bought it I showed it over dinner to Richard Champagne and Stanley Piller and we all got a good chuckle out of it. Miss both of those guys terribly.

We all assumed it was submitted by someone thinking they had a pink. In hand the stamp is close to pink but no cigar.

I live in Vegas now, one of these days we gotta grab lunch.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

psestamp wrote: I don't think that this audience understands grading from these posts.

The rest of us can spot a clearly fake rubber stamp cancel. PSE cannot. That is the issue here. PSE cannot always spot reperfs and give perfection '100' grades to not perfectly centred stamps. All clearly pointed out right here for all to see.

Only weeks after grading common things as 'NH original gum' you grade them as 'Genuine Used' and gave it a different NUMBARRHHH even. Charging fees to both idiot submitters, for your alleged 'skilled' services. Trying to magically make 5c retail stamps into $500 ones.

You cannot make this stuff up. Only in Las Vegas. The 3 card trick worked again. 'There Is A Sucker Born EVERY Minute' should be the PSE company motto.

For an extra 20 bucks they will mail you an Elvis Chapel Marriage Certificate too. For $50 more, Caj will sign it, and toss in a copy of his bestseller - 'How to cheat at Poker' or whatever it was called.

Caj cheerfully tells us he was a Magician - he still makes submitter monies vanish without trace! Vote for Caj - Trumps' Number One Man in Las Vegas.

satsuma wrote: 14 Jul 2023 16:39
Perhaps this says it all, both about Caj's respect as a stamp "expert" and his Presidential ambitions!

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”