Ålesund 1948 Cinderella stamp : what does the wording on it mean?

We all have and handle these from time to time. "Back of book", Revenues, "Cinderellas", duty stamps and all kinds of other stamp like labels. Discuss them all HERE!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Brit-Col
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Ålesund 1948 Cinderella stamp : what does the wording on it mean?

Post by Brit-Col »

Here is a Cinderella poster stamp from Ålesund, in Norway.
Alesund Cinderella Poster Stamp
Alesund Cinderella Poster Stamp
I ran the wording “har sølv i bunn” through Google Translate and got the response “has silver at the bottom.”

Ok, fine, but what is the significance of that, what is it meant to communicate?

BC
Last edited by Global Admin on 17 Dec 2023 11:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Expanded rather vague heading, to make sense to members and added YEAR to heading
Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from poor judgment.
norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Ålesund Cinderella: What Does The Slogan Mean?

Post by norvic »

Probably refers to cod at the bottom of the sea. (Wikipedia:)
The coat of arms was granted on 1 April 1898. The arms have a red field (background) and the charge is a fishing boat on the water with three cod fish beneath the boat. The charge has a tincture of argent which means it is commonly colored white, but if it is made out of metal, then silver is used. A mural crown is depicted above the escutcheon. The arms symbolize the importance of fishing for Ålesund. The type of ship was typical for the fishing vessels in the 18th and 19th century and is taken from a drawing made in 1762. The waves and three fish were added to the drawing in the arms. The arms were designed by Andreas Bloch. The municipal flag has the same design as the coat of arms.[13][14]
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3, 304, 310, 320/2/4/6-8, 331/7/8, 344/6, 353/8, 360/1/3
Brit-Col

Post by Brit-Col »

Thanks! That makes sense. The literal translation was throwing me off but maybe it conveys a sentiment like “wealth from below” or something similar.

Incidentally, I did read that in 1848 Ålesund was officially granted the status of a kjøpstad or town so no doubt this stamp was issued in commemoration of that centennial.

BC
Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from poor judgment.
norvic

Post by norvic »

Yes, havbunnen is seabed.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3, 304, 310, 320/2/4/6-8, 331/7/8, 344/6, 353/8, 360/1/3
kuikka

Post by kuikka »

If I am correct, kjøpestad is not just status issue. I think that only those places that had that status were allowed to do international trade. If that is correct, it was a big deal for them.

Return to “Cinderellas etc - all the stamps that are NOT regular postage stamp related”