Obtaining British Monarchs on coins - any dealer recommendations

A *LARGE* percentage of stamp collectors also collect various numismatic areas. This is YOUR little corner of the board to ask questions, seek advice, check values, and chat. Please join in!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

King Tut
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Obtaining British Monarchs on coins - any dealer recommendations

Post by King Tut »

A number of years ago a I acquired this Queen Elizabeth I coin from Glenn. It’s still one of the coolest things I have.
Queen Elizabeth I 6d coin
Queen Elizabeth I 6d coin
Anyway, my teenagers are studying history and have found the development of the British Monarchy post 1066AD interesting. Having seen the above coin, an idea has formed…obtain one coin from each Monarch. Is this crazy?

Based on some general searches on the internet, some are going to cost a pretty penny (or a lot of dollars :mrgreen: ). Given this, I am concerned about the legitimacy of such old coins when I lack the experience to identify real from fake.

As such does anyone have any dealer recommendations with whom I could engage with about acquiring British coins from those eras?

Thanks
fchd
I was online for post number TEN MILLION!
I was online for post number TEN MILLION!

Re: Obtaining British Monarchs on coins - any dealer recommendations

Post by fchd »

I might well start with Coincraft - https://coincraft.com/ They've currently got stock online dating back to Henry III. They've also got a bricks and mortar shop if you are in London, right opposite the British Museum.
banknoteguy
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by banknoteguy »

Any reputable dealer should be fine but others will have to recommend ones that are local to you (Melbourne). CNG is another very reputable old time dealer that has several locations (one in London).

https://auctions.cngcoins.com/

You really should not have any problem with fakes as long as you avoid cheap imitations from south east asia which are very common but they have a distinct cartoonish look to most.

You should also get a good book on English hammered coins -- hammered means struck by hand vs struck on a coining press. Hammered (in England) was the standard till Charles II (there were some struck coins before Charles II but all are pretty rare). You should be able to find nice examples of all the monarchs since Charles II for reasonable amount i.e., under a $100 and probably most of the earlier ones also.

I would start watching auctions on eBay which has lots of early England e.g.,

Here is a link to a nice Henry VI groat. Don't know what it will end up selling for but it is quite nice:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/375166042985?hash=item5759a38369:g:UAEAAOSw0~hllzEk

And here is an image of one my coins -- English halfpenny, George II, 1742.
1745 Halfpenny Geo. II Obv
1745 Halfpenny Geo. II Obv
1745 Halfpenny Geo. II Rev
1745 Halfpenny Geo. II Rev
jimp
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by jimp »

As such does anyone have any dealer recommendations with whom I could engage with about acquiring British coins from those eras?

Not a dealer, but some knowledge yourself will help you.
Try this :--
https://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/coins.html
billw2
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by billw2 »

Depends on your budget and the sort of quality you’re looking for but CRO has a stellar reputation.

They often have earlier British coins.

https://www.coinraritiesonline.com/our-coins/
King Tut

Post by King Tut »

Thanks for the names and suggestions too.
jimp

Post by jimp »

King Tut wrote: 10 Jan 2024 20:46 A number of years ago a I acquired this Queen Elizabeth I coin from Glenn. It’s still one of the coolest things I have.

Anyway, my teenagers are studying history and have found the development of the British Monarchy post 1066AD interesting. Having seen the above coin, an idea has formed…obtain one coin from each Monarch. Is this crazy?

Based on some general searches on the internet, some are going to cost a pretty penny (or a lot of dollars :mrgreen: ). Given this, I am concerned about the legitimacy of such old coins when I lack the experience to identify real from fake.

Thanks
This is a list of the coin dealers at the 2024 coin dealers fair in York GB. Some of them are international dealers who may be near to you.
I will let you google them to find out more.

Jim.
https://stampshows.net/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/C-flyer-Jan-24-1.pdf
AdmiralCollector

Post by AdmiralCollector »

Quote: “ . . . an idea has formed…obtain one coin from each Monarch. Is this crazy?”

No, it isn’t crazy. I started such a collection 35 years ago, and am not yet quite complete from 1066. You can also expand into Anglo-Saxon coins before 1066 back to Alfred the Great and even earlier. Roman coins minted in London are not rare, especially those of Constantine the Great & his sons.

Quote: “ . . . some are going to cost a pretty penny (or a lot of dollars ).”

Yes, for sure. They will be coins of:

almost anything before 1066, except Roman coins minted in London
William the Conqueror
William II
Henry I
Stephen
Henry IV
Henry V
Richard III
Oliver Cromwell (unless you go for a Commonwealth coin without his portrait.)
James II

If the “pretty penny” gets too pretty, you can collect the different portraits that appear on the coinages of later monarchs. For example, George II had a young portrait and an old portrait; George III, Victoria, and Elizabeth II each had a number of portraits that appeared on their coins.

Quote: “ . . . I am concerned about the legitimacy of such old coins when I lack the experience to identify real from fake.”

Just as with stamps, buy from legitimate dealers. There are a lot of them out there, especially in the UK. All the dealers selling on https://www.vcoins.com/ are trustworthy.

Never buy hammered coins from some eBay seller in Serbia, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Greece, Cyprus, Lebanon, etc. no matter how good their prices may seem. The other thing you’ll have to watch out for are “tourist reproductions” made to sell for a few £ at places like the Tower of London. If the price seems too good to be true, it probably is.

To start, a catalogue you’ll want is the Coins of England & The United Kingdom published by Spink. Don’t bother with the latest edition -- you’ll be able to find an older edition for much less money. As you get into the hobby, you may want to get the 2 volume English Hammered Coinage by J.J. North, although the basic hammered coinage is also covered in Spink.

The website http://www.wildwinds.com/ has no coins for sale, but is good for pictures and attribution of Greek, Roman, and British coins.

Return to “Coins, Banknotes, tokens, medals and all things NUMISMATIC!”