Paywall Hack: how to see news articles that are hidden behind a paywall

These boards are a cinch to use, but if BB's are new to you, here are a few basic tips for new users to help you settle in. How to post, edit, how to add photos or avatars etc. Who are the Board Moderators etc. Please feel free to ask questions or add suggestions yourself. Add threads here re any technical issues that might concern you.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Paywall Hack: how to see news articles that are hidden behind a paywall

Post by norvic »

Clicked on a link to a news article only to find it's behind a PayWall (Times, Financial Times, Telegraph)?

Frustrating isn't it, especially when somebody you follow - or someone here - thinks it's really important that you read it.

Have you ever noticed this icon on your browser?

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 17.52.03.png
This switches the display to text only; on mobile devices it is often indicated by AA, and when you tap that you get the chance to switch to 'Reader View' - which saves the annoying loading of adverts, pop-ups etc.

You have to click or tap (a) before the subscribe/log-in box appears, and (b) before the Cookies pop-up appears. In the latter case if you are too slow, deal with the Cookies and then go to reader view.

No guarantees that this will work every time, and of course copying certainly breaks copyright, as the Financial Times notes; if you DO copy an article, they drop this at the front of it.
Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email [email protected] to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service
On the Telegraph article I wanted to read, this is how it looks (I've only copied the piece that was revealed before the subscription pop-up.

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 18.03.27.png
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3, 304, 310, 320/2/4/6-8, 331/7/8, 344/6, 353/8, 360/1/3
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Paywall Hack - how to see news articles that are behind a paywall.

Post by Global Admin »

Very handy tip Ian .. these paywall sites bug me.

Had never noticed that icon before and yes, if done quickly, when one opens the site, it does work fine. :lol:

I use Firefox which most do not so assume this icon appears on most browsers.

Glen
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
norvic

Re: Paywall Hack: how to see news articles that are hidden behind a paywall

Post by norvic »

On Safari I haven't seen the equivalent icon (which is on the left of 'www') appear before the pay-pop-up, so Firefox (which I use for most things) has the edge.

One thing to note, the hack doesn't always remove image captions, or inline links to other articles etc.

If copying it is as well to edit those out, although a lot of people here just paste without bothering to eliminate extraneous matter; it makes it easier to read if you do.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3, 304, 310, 320/2/4/6-8, 331/7/8, 344/6, 353/8, 360/1/3
norvic

Post by norvic »

I realise now that this should probably be in the "New to Bulletin Boards? A few useful tips and technical threads. AND add your suggestions too." folder.

Perhaps a MOD could put it or copy it there.
The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by The Pom »

norvic wrote: 25 Jan 2024 00:58 I realise now that this should probably be in the "New to Bulletin Boards? A few useful tips and technical threads. AND add your suggestions too." folder.

Perhaps a MOD could put it or copy it there.
Moved as requested.
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.
norvic

Post by norvic »

Thank you.
blue-within-blue
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by blue-within-blue »

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I can't see that icon when using the Chrome browser. Is it always next to the star / bookmark icon, as shown in your screenshot? If so, I just tried viewing the Telegraph website, and the icon isn't present.

ROB
norvic

Post by norvic »

blue-within-blue wrote: 25 Jan 2024 07:32
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I can't see that icon when using the Chrome browser. Is it always next to the star / bookmark icon, as shown in your screenshot? If so, I just tried viewing the Telegraph website, and the icon isn't present.

ROB
I'm using Firefox; I have no experience of Chrome two browsers being sufficient :D
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

This is a really interesting thread and one that I'd not really considered before.

There are several other solutions available including 12ft Ladder which can be hit and miss but will work with several well-known paywalled sites.

There's also a website that offers several alternatives to 12ft.

Please note that I am not recommending any of these websites or applications, merely offering some more alternatives.

Jon
Barbados, Commonwealth, France & Colonies, GB, Line Engraved, Intaglio & Recess printed stamps
http://www.barbadosstamps.co.uk
La Rosa
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by La Rosa »

JonEboy wrote: 25 Jan 2024 18:57 This is a really interesting thread and one that I'd not really considered before.

There are several other solutions available including 12ft Ladder which can be hit and miss but will work with several well-known paywalled sites.

There's also a website that offers several alternatives to 12ft.

Please note that I am not recommending any of these websites or applications, merely offering some more alternatives.

Jon
Thanks JonEboy I remember 12 ft ladder from reddit - Not reliable as you say " hit and Miss " ... Still usefull.
bathurst stamper

Post by bathurst stamper »

If you are trying to read a paywalled article, see if it has been archived at https://archive.is :)

Return to “New to Bulletin Boards? A few useful tips and technical threads. AND add your suggestions too.”