Ukraine post-1991 provisional "paid" and "p-due" markings

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: snaws, Justin, Volunteer Moderator Team

vasia
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Ukraine post-1991 provisional "paid" and "p-due" markings

Post by vasia »

Following the dissolution of the Soviet Union, in the absence of the necessary postage stamps and faced with galloping inflation, many local postal authorities resorted to using a wide variety of postal markings to denote payment of the appropriate postal fees.

One sub-category of such markings includes the so-called "Paid" markings and "Postage-due" handstamps essentially converted to "postage-paid" ones.

This thread will be devoted to this sub-category of markings from the Ukraine:

1. Posted on 20/11/1993 from Cherkasy oblast, the 1 Krb Ukrainian PSE is by now grossly inadequate for covering the domestic letter rate (27 Krb). Cash payment of the necessary fee is denoted by the rectangular "Уплочено" (paid) marking.

2. Posted on 6/11/1993 from Erky, Cherkasy to Kiev. Cash payment of the 27 Krb domestic letter rate is indicated by the 4-line "ОПЛОЧЕНО" handstamp (presumably unearthed from the drawers for this purpose: notice the "198..." inscription).

Incidentally, I am aware that in the early 1990's Michael Padwee had made an effort in his "Interim Report" at a preliminary classification of the various provisional markings. In his classification the sub-category above is "category D". Unfortunately, I do not have access to his Ukraine list (I do have his Belarus pages).

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Ukraine post-1991 provisional "paid" and "p-due" markings

Post by norvic »

vasia wrote:Incidentally, I am aware that in the early 1990's Michael Padwee had made an effort in his "Interim Report" at a preliminary classification of the various provisional markings. In his classification the sub-category above is "category D". Unfortunately, I do not have access to his Ukraine list (I do have his Belarus pages).
I have a lot of Michael's "Interim Reports". When I have time I will look them out: I was also a member of the Philatelic Study Group Former USSR, and Jay Guberman started a discussion group on Delphi. Sadly dial-up speeds made Delphi very slow, and I couldn't participate as much as I intended. Oh the days. I still have the emails!
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

vasia

Re: Ukraine post-1991 provisional "paid" and "p-due" marking

Post by vasia »

Two covers from Kiev using oval postage-due (Doplatit) handstamps to indicate payment of the necessary postal tariff:

3. Posted during August 1993, addressed locally. The postage-due oval of Kiev-155 is used with a handwritten 893 to supplement the 7k PSE for the correct 9 Krb domestic letter rate.

4. Posted on 16/12/1994 and addressed locally. Here the 1 Krb Ukrainian PSE had been supplemented sometime during 1993 with a 26 Krb "TP" handstamp for the 27 Krb domestic letter rate. By the end of 1994 this was highly insufficient, so the postage-due oval of Kiev-180 is used to indicate a charge of 1000 Krb! [Could someone verify this rate?]

maptrekker
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by maptrekker »

4. Posted on 16/12/1994 and addressed locally. Here the 1 Krb Ukrainian PSE had been supplemented sometime during 1993 with a 26 Krb "TP" handstamp for the 27 Krb domestic letter rate. By the end of 1994 this was highly insufficient, so the postage-due oval of Kiev-180 is used to indicate a charge of 1000 Krb! [Could someone verify this rate?]
I have the domestic rate at 500krb between 10 Nov 1994 and 31 May 1995.

Could it be that the envelope was purchased with the 27krb rate back when the rate was current, and then later used without additional postage in 1994.

I am thinking that the post office charged postage due of twice the current letter rate. Kiev 180 may then have been the receiving post office.

The postage due and TP hand stamps are still Soviet, but the postmark is Ukrainian.

Does anyone know the meaning of the originating postmark with the N6? -- Kiev (something) Dept. No. 6?

vasia

Post by vasia »

An interesting thought, maptrekker! Of course, it would be very audacious on the part of the sender given that other domestic rates had already been introduced prior to the one of November 10th (100 Krb and 250 Krb, if I am not mistaken).

The back of the envelope bears a Soviet-style receiving cds of Kiev 136, but would it be impossible that the sending post-office marked the postage deficiency?

(As a side-note, it is interesting that the postal code to which the cover is addressed is 254136. Was that always the case? Did the large 3 digits in large cities signify the respective post-office? Maybe Yuriy can help here).

maptrekker

Post by maptrekker »

These are the old Soviet-style 6-digit postal codes. The first three digits were the province or large city and the last three were the delivery office. Ukraine was assigned 24xxxx-34xxxx.

In September, 1999 Ukraine changed to a 5-digit system.

maptrekker

Post by maptrekker »

This is a letter from Livadiya, Yalta Municipality, Crimea to Voronezh, Voronezh Oblast, Russia postmarked with a Soviet-style bilingual postmark dated 28 Apr 1992.

Here a Soviet-style doplatit (postage due) hand stamp may have been used to up-rate a 5k Soviet PSE to 50k. That would be the CIS rate from 2 Jan 1992 to 9 May 1992.

The doplatit is definitely from the originating office (Ливадия) so I think it is an early provisional hand stamp. The doplatit nicely up-rated the PSE rather than indicating double the deficiency as was done in Soviet Russia.

As far as I can see, the first provisional stamp wasn't issued by Yalta until Sep 1993.

vasia

Post by vasia »

To finish-up my Kiev usages in this category of postal markings, 3 more covers below with "Paid" handstamps:

5. Posted locally in Kiev on 28/3/1994. A two-line "ОПЛAЧЕНО" rectangular handstamp with no indication of the postal fee paid (could someone translate the second line of the handstamp?).

6. Posted locally in Kiev on 2/11/1993. A rectangular "ОПЛAЧЕНО по тарифу" handstamp in violet with a handwritten value is used to indicate the full postal tariff required: 27 Krb.

7. Posted locally in Kiev on 26/4/1994. A rectangular two-line "ОПЛAЧЕНО ПОЛНОМУ ТАРИФУ" handstamp in black with no indication of the postal fee paid. Two strikes of the handstamp.

maptrekker

Post by maptrekker »

Can we say that each post office in Kiev solved the problem of no stamps being available independently of each other? The main post office seems not to have had any control.

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

maptrekker wrote:Can we say that each post office in Kiev solved the problem of no stamps being available independently of each other? The main post office seems not to have had any control.
I would say this is probably correct - a similar situation existed in Soviet-occupied Germany where central "directives" were issued along the lines of "make stamps" or "create postal markings" and then the local offices were effectively left to implement this however they chose :idea:

YuriyV
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by YuriyV »

You can find some interesting markings "ОПЛОЧЕНО" ("PAID") in the next publications:

- of Khmelnitskiy region (page #9) - http://mystampworld.com/publications/ukr-provisorio/khmelnitsky.pdf

- of Kiev region - http://mystampworld.com/publications/ukr-provisorio/kiev_obl.pdf

Other content will be interesting as well.
Always interested in Ukrainian provisionals (1992-95). Email me for sell, buy or exchange.

vasia

Post by vasia »

Since Yuriy provided us with the analytical article about the postal markings of Kiev oblast, I give below one example from this area:

8. Posted from Tarasha to Kiev on 25/3/1993. A violet "Оплачено" with a "3 00" meter is used to indicate payment of the 3 Krb domestic letter rate. It is unclear what purpose is served by the Soviet-style cds of Tarasha with all zeros in the date slug.

norvic

Post by norvic »

vasia wrote:Since Yuriy provided us with the analytical article about the postal markings of Kiev oblast, I give below one example from this area:

8. Posted from Tarasha to Kiev on 25/3/1993. A violet "Оплачено" with a "3 00" meter is used to indicate payment of the 3 Krb domestic letter rate. It is unclear what purpose is served by the Soviet-style cds of Tarasha with all zeros in the date slug.
The Soviet-style cds of Tarasha with all zeros in the date slug is part of a machine cancel, with the slogan or wavy lines removed. It's my belief that this would have been used to supply a further surcharge, the first 4 zeroes being for the value and the last three being for KPb. I have many of these with values. As this cover was internal, 3krb would have been sufficient (?), but for sending internationally, stamps could be added, or the rate applied in the machine canceller.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

vasia

Post by vasia »

Beginning our look into the markings of this category from Mykolaiv / Nikolaev oblast, I give below the scans of 2 covers from the Arbuzyns'kyi rayon of Mykolaiv oblast. Here two different locations within the rayon are using apparently identical provisional markings:

9. Posted from the capital of the rayon, Arbuzynka to Nikolaev on 10/12/1993. The 1992 7k PSE can serve by now only a decorative function, so a "POSHTA UKRAINA Оплачено по тарифу" handstamp with a handwritten "27" is used to indicate payment of the current postal rate of 27 Krb. For some reason the Doplatit oval of Arbuzynka is overstruck on the handstamp.

10. Posted from Blagodatnoe to Kiev on 10/3/1993. Same handstamp as above with a handwritten "2 - 00". Although the postal tariff should be 3 Krb, a rate of 2 Krb appears to have been used in some areas, according to an older post of Yuriy.

So is there a minimum of order in the chaos? Do rayon post offices tend to use the same type of postal markings?

maptrekker

Post by maptrekker »

One thought is that the "POSHTA UKRAINA Оплачено по тарифу" hand stamp revaluation is a product of Blagodatnoe, sold over-the-counter there, carried to Arbuzynka and posted there. There is no return address to perhaps confirm that.

The post office employee at Arbuzynka, not being familiar with the revaluation hand stamp, started to charge postage due.

Just a guess based on one cover.

vasia

Post by vasia »

Two covers from different post-offices in Ochakov / Ochakiv in the Mykolaiv oblast:

11. Registered from Ochakov-2 to Kiev during July 1993 (backstamped in Kiev on 16/7/1993). The 9 Krb domestic-letter charge, levied with the use of the rectangular "Taxe Percue" handstamp, is supplemented by the "Оплачено" handstamp covering the remaining 9 Krb for the registration charge. Can anyone decipher the hand inscriptions around the "Оплачено" handstamp?

12. From Ochakov to Nikolaev posted on 9/12/1993. Payment of the domestic-letter rate (27 Krb or 100 Krb?) is noted by the rectangular "ДОСТАВКА ОПЛАЧЕНА" handstamp ("delivery paid"). This is a rather standard handstamp encountered in various locations.

YuriyV

Post by YuriyV »

vasia wrote:Can anyone decipher the hand inscriptions around the "Оплачено" handstamp?
There is inscribed: "З/П всего опл. ___43крб__" => "R(egisterd)/L(etter) total payed ___43krb__"

By the way. The cover addressed to the President of Ukraine Leonid Kravchuk.
Wow! :-)
Always interested in Ukrainian provisionals (1992-95). Email me for sell, buy or exchange.

YuriyV

Post by YuriyV »

Is anybody interested in this kind of revaluations of the Nikolaev region? As well as other regions of Ukraine?

vasia

Post by vasia »

Yuriy,

thanks for the help with this Ochakov cover. Does payment of 43 Krb (in addition to the 9 Krb of the "TP" handstamp?) make any sense for this time - July 1993? Isn't the domestic registered-letter rate 18 Krb?
YuriyV wrote:Is anybody interested in this kind of revaluations of the Nikolaev region? As well as other regions of Ukraine?
What exactly do you mean? I am definitely interested!

norvic

Post by norvic »

YuriyV wrote:
vasia wrote:Can anyone decipher the hand inscriptions around the "Оплачено" handstamp?
There is inscribed: "З/П всего опл. ___43крб__" => "R(egisterd)/L(etter) total payed ___43krb__"
I thought that looked like 43крб - so what does that make the rate?

vasia

Post by vasia »

Two more covers from locations in the Mykolaiv / Nikolaev oblast:

13. Posted from Kryve Ozero on 21/12/1993 to Nikolaev (backstamped). The 1992 7k PSE serves once again by now only a decorative function, so a "ПЕРЕОЦЕНЕНО по тарифу" ("revaluation of tariff") handstamp / machine imprint (?) is used to indicate payment of the current postal rate.

14. Posted from Kumari, Pervomais'kyi rayon on 25/1/1994 to Yaremcha, Ivano-Frankivs

YuriyV

Post by YuriyV »

vasia wrote:What exactly do you mean? I am definitely interested!
Some covers of Nikolaev region (about 150), like these:
http://i082.radikal.ru/1009/e7/8f074d2fa013.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s49.radikal.ru/i125/1009/50/42642669df3d.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s57.radikal.ru/i156/1009/c4/3cc8f5e541b1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
are available for sell or exchange.
If somebody is interested then I'll create a topic in the "SELL" forum.

YuriyV

Post by YuriyV »

vasia wrote:Does payment of 43 Krb (in addition to the 9 Krb of the "TP" handstamp?) make any sense for this time - July 1993? Isn't the domestic registered-letter rate 18 Krb?
norvic wrote:I thought that looked like 43крб - so what does that make the rate?
Rate of this period is 27krb for ordinal letter and 54krb for registered one. In case of this Ochakov cover (registered), we have 9krb(from previous rate) + 43krb (additional revaluation) = 52krb. Looks like the operator did wrong math :-)

vasia

Post by vasia »

Yuriy,

can you please let us know what is the date of introduction of Tariff-5, i.e the domestic letter rate of 27 Krb. In my collection I have a number of covers from July and August of 1993 franked at 9 Krb for simple letter or 18 Krb for registered, while none is franked at 27 Krb or 54 Krb. That is why I presumed that the registered Ochakov cover I showed, posted during July 1993, should be franked at 18 Krb.

Of course my collection is not extensive enough to draw statistical conclusions, so documentary evidence would be very welcome.

YuriyV

Post by YuriyV »

Oops, my mistake. You are right, this is still Tariff-4 (9/18krb).
I have no idea how to interpret the 43krb of total payment. I can to improvise only.
Let's suppose, the operator implemented the rates for business organizations (9/24krb) instead of private (9/18krb). In addition, she would add the cost for receive receipt (the letter went as registered with receive receipt - "З./Ув."). This is 18krb more. May be the letter was with overweight (plus 5krb for every addition 20gr). All would possible.

norvic

Post by norvic »

YuriyV wrote:In addition, she would add the cost for receive receipt (the letter went as registered with receive receipt - "З./Ув.").
Is this what we refer to as AR - Advice of Receipt, where a card is attached to the back of the letter, signed on delivery, and returned to the sender? if so, I've learned something else today! - Thanks!

YuriyV

Post by YuriyV »

norvic wrote:Is this what we refer to as AR - Advice of Receipt, where a card is attached to the back of the letter, signed on delivery, and returned to the sender?
You are absolutely right.
norvic wrote:if so, I've learned something else today!
Actually, by postal regulations of that time, an operator should affix enough postage to a letter and AR separately. But in my hypothesis I assume a possibility of inscribing of a total amount (reg.letter and AR) as cover face value.

YuriyV

Post by YuriyV »

Please review these covers:
http://s763.photobucket.com/albums/xx279/ua_provisionals/Nikolayev/?start=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There are some markings we are discussing. And virtually all of them are offered for sale and exchange. Don't hesitate to contact me (by e-mail) for more information and price.

vasia

Post by vasia »

To finish up my postal markings of this category from Mykolaiv oblast, here are 2 covers from Nikolaev city:

15. Posted locally in Nikolaev on 13/5/1993, a violet rectangular "ОПЛОЧЕН" is used to mark payment of the 3 Krb postal fee.

16. Posted locally in Nikolaev on 5/8/1992, a small violet rectangle with "ц [ена] 1-18" is stamped on the cover. My hypothesis is that this charge corresponds to 1Krb for the domestic letter rate and 18k for the cost of the envelope.

In the days to come I will present examples of markings of this category from other Ukrainian oblasts. I am trying to be selective and show different types and shapes of these markings. Feel free to add examples!

vasia

Post by vasia »

I begin our look into provisional "paid" markings from Donetsk oblast:

17. Posted from Amvrosievka, center of Amvrosiïvs'kyi rayon to Kiev on 27/8/1994. The 100 Krb Ukrainian PSE cannot cover the registered letter rate, so a "ПОШТА УКРАIНА НОВА ЦIНА" handstamp is used with a hand-inscription of the 200 Krb tariff.

18. Posted from Artemovsk to Kiev on 11/2/1994. The domestic letter rate (for individuals) at this time should be 100 Krb. The cover bears a "taxe percue" handstamp of 111 "R" and a "НОВАЯ ЦЕНА" handstamp with a hand-written "32". Counting the 3 Krb PSE we have a total franking of 146 Krb! Any explanations?

vasia

Post by vasia »

Continuing on with the Donetsk oblast:

19. Posted from Rosdolnoye, Velykonovosilkivs'kyi rayon on 19/8/1994 to Kiev (backstamped 21/8). A curved rectangular "УПЛАЧЕНО" handstamp indicates payment of the postal fee (of 100 Krb). Can anyone understand the significance of the handwritten inscription "...4 руб" at upper right?

20. Posted from Kramatorsk on 26/7/1994 to Kiev (backstamped 27/7). A rectangular "Доплата .....коп" with a handwrittem "100" (of course, that is 100 Krb) is used to mark payment.

TKL
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by TKL »

Vasia,

Interesting selection of covers, will you be showing provisional "paid" postal markings from Vinnytsia oblast in due course?
tkl - Ukraine Provisional Issues 1992/95 - 49,450 provisional covers & still rising......

vasia

Post by vasia »

I have a few examples (3-4) of provisional "paid" markings from Vinnytsia oblast which I will show at a later point. But please feel free to add examples from the various oblasts as I introduce them into the thread - this was supposed to be the original intention of this thread anyway! My own collection of covers from this period is not that large to assure a representative sample of this category of markings.

Michael Padwee
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by Michael Padwee »

vasia wrote on Sept. 15, 2010:
Incidentally, I am aware that in the early 1990's Michael Padwee had made an effort in his "Interim Report" at a preliminary classification of the various provisional markings. In his classification the sub-category above is "category D". Unfortunately, I do not have access to his Ukraine list (I do have his Belarus pages).
Hi--

I discovered this stamp message board by accident and saw your mention of my Ukraine "category D" markings from Interim Report. Although I haven't worked in this area for a long time, I should be able to locate these pages for you. Just email me.

I managed to catalog hundreds of Ukraine postal markings in the early 1990s and, sadly, still have many covers that I never cataloged.

Hi, Ian, how are you?

Michael Padwee
Author of A Field Guide to the Key Patterns on the Backs of United States Ceramic Tiles,
1870s - 1930s

"Historic Tile Installation Database": https://sites.google.com/site/tileinstallationdb/

vasia

Post by vasia »

More "paid" markings from Donetsk oblast, this time 2 covers from the city of Makeevka:

21. Posted from Makeevka-11 on 13/4/1994 to Kiev (backstamped on the 17th). Payment of the registered letter rate (200 Krb) is indicated by the "ПЕРЕОЦЕНЕНО" (=revaluation) rectangular handstamp.

22. Posted from Makeevka-45 on 26/4/1994 to St Petersburg (backstamped with Soviet-style Leningrad cds of 6/5). Payment of the simple letter rate to CIS countries (250 Krb) is indicated by the "СБОР ВЗЫСКАН ЦЕНА РУБ КОП" (=fee collected price...) Soviet-style rectangle and a handwritten "250".

vasia

Post by vasia »

Two final covers from Donetsk oblast:

23. Registered from the city of Slavyansk on 4/4/1994 to Donetsk. Payment of the required fee is indicated by a handwritten "СБОР ВЗЫСКАН 200 Krb" and the postal employee's signature.

24. Posted from Ukrainsk (Selydove mis'krada) on 6/5/1994 to Kiev. A "НОВАЯ ЦЕНА РУБ...." rectangular handstamp is utilized, with a handwritten "430". This is very peculiar given that the domestic letter rate is 100 Krb!

admin
Site Administrator
Location: That's on a need to know basis - and YOU do not need to know!

Post by admin »

Michael Padwee wrote: Hi--

I discovered this stamp message board by accident and saw your mention of my Ukraine "category D" markings from Interim Report.
The power of Google. :)

Welcome aboard ... and please find yourself an avatar image that you like. :)

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

maptrekker

Post by maptrekker »

That was an excellent selection of covers from Donetsk Oblast. Unfortunately I have no provisionals from that oblast.

Great thread.

YuriyV

Post by YuriyV »

maptrekker wrote:Unfortunately I have no provisionals from that oblast.
Please let me know what regions do you need. I can offer a good selection.

vasia

Post by vasia »

Below are 2 covers with provisional "paid" markings from the city of Kharkov:

25. Posted on 27/7/1993 to Kaunas, Lithuania (backstamped first in Vilnius on 6/8 and then in Kaunas on 7/8). The 7k Soviet PSE had been revalued via the addition of the 0-43 k "УКРАΪНА ПОШТА" meter for the 50k domestic letter rate applicable in early 1992. Presumably, the envelope is now used as a blank and payment of the postal fee is indicated by the handwritten "уплочено ???? krb". Can anyone point out the postal tariff to non-CIS destinations at this point (tariff-4) and decipher the handwritten charge?

26. Posted on 26/10/1992 to St. Petersburg (no backstamp). The 7k PSE had been revalued via the oblong "УКРАΪНА ПОШТА" meter. An additional 50k ("0-50") to cover the 1 Krb postal fee is paid in cash, indicated by the handwritten notation at top (presumably, during Tariff-2 the domestic simple letter rate = rate to CIS = 1 Krb).

maptrekker

Post by maptrekker »

Can anyone point out the postal tariff to non-CIS destinations at this point (tariff-4) and decipher the handwritten charge?
Looks like the Russian for "50" -- пятьдесят.

But I have the non-CIS rate as 175 krb.

YuriyV

Post by YuriyV »

vasia wrote:Can anyone point out the postal tariff to non-CIS destinations at this point (tariff-4) and decipher the handwritten charge?
Letter post up to 20gr in Tariff-4:
Surface delivery - 38krb
Par avion - 63krb
vasia wrote:(presumably, during Tariff-2 the domestic simple letter rate = rate to CIS = 1 Krb).
You are right.

vasia

Post by vasia »

Below are 3 examples of Category D postal markings from oblasts that are not well represented in my collection:

27. Registered letter from Malaya Vyska, Kirovograd oblast posted on 30/11/1993 to Kiev (backstamped 1/12). The cover bears a rectangular "УВЕДОМЛЕНИЕ ЗАКАЗНОЕ" (=notified registered?) and a "ЦЕНА 1 РУБ 26" (?) handstamp. On the back there are traces of the existence of a form that had been attached and then detached (AR-Advice of Receipt?). The problem: there does not appear to be any indication of the necessary postal charge - 54 Krb for a registered letter + ??? for A.R.

28. Letter from Novoselitsa, Polons'kyi rayon, Khmelnitsky oblast, posted on 17/11/1993 to Kiev. Payment of the domestic letter rate of 27 Krb is indicated by the large Polons'kyi rayon "ОПЛAЧЕНО" rectangular handstamp. Can anyone decipher the remaining words on that handstamp?

29. Letter from Ivano-Frankovsk, center of the same oblast, posted on 29/3/1994 to Rovno. Payment of the domestic letter rate of 100 Krb is indicated by the "ОПЛAЧЕНО" rectangular handstamp.

vasia

Post by vasia »

I begin our look into provisional "paid" markings from Poltava oblast:

30. Letter from Chervonozavodskoe, Lokhvyts'kyi rayon, posted on 16/11/1993 to Kiev (17/11). A postage-due mark of the dispatching post office is converted by hand to indicate payment of the domestic letter rate of 27 Krb.

31. Letter from Nizhnyaya Budakovka, Lokhvyts'kyi rayon, posted on 23/11/1993 to Kiev (24/11). A violet rectangular "ДОСТАВКА ОПЛАЧЕНА" handstamp with a handwritten "27" is used to indicate payment of the domestic letter rate.

32. Letter from Berezovka, Lubens'kyi rayon, posted on 26/10/1993 to Kiev (28/10). A black rectangular "ДОСТАВКА ОПЛАЧЕНА" handstamp, virtually identical to the one used above from the neighbouring Lokhvyts'kyi rayon, plus a handwritten "27" are used to indicate payment of the necessary tariff.

vasia

Post by vasia »

Continuing with Poltava oblast:

33. Letter from Mirgorod/Myrhorod, center of the Myrhorods'kyi rayon, posted on 28/10/1993 to Kiev (29/10). The cover shows the progression of successive postal tariffs via the use of different postal markings: first a violet "УПЛАЧЕНО" handstamp with a handwritten "2 krb" (which together with the 1 krb PSE makes up the 3 krb rate), then a small black "УПЛАЧЕНО" with a handwritten "6.00" to make up the next tariff (2+1+6=9 krb) and finally a "ПОШТА КРБ УКРАIНА" handstamp with a handwritten "18" to bring up the rate to 27 krb applicable in October 1993!

34. Letter from Kryukovo, Poltavskiy rayon, posted on 12/10/1993 to Krivoy Rog (14/10). A black reactangular "УПЛOЧЕНО" handstamp with a handwritten "27" is used to indicate payment of the domestic letter rate.

vasia

Post by vasia »

Finishing up my Poltava oblast examples with 3 covers:

35. Registered letter from Grebenka/Hrebinka, center of the Hrebinkivs'kyi rayon, posted on 19/11/1993 to Kiev (20/11). An unframed "OПЛOЧЕНО" handstamp + a handwritten "54" are used to indicate payment of the appropriate tariff.

36. Letter from Novoivanovka, Khorol's'kyi rayon, posted on 18/12/1993 to Kiev. A rectangular "OПЛАЧЕНО" handstamp with a handwritten "99" + the 1 Krb Narbut PSE pay the 100 Krb domestic letter rate of the period. (Note the inflation of the period - compared to the previous cover of November the domestic letter rate has almost quadrupled: from 27 krb to 100 krb).

37. Letter from Karlovka, center of Karlivs'kyi rayon, posted on 18/7/1995 to Odessa (20/7). The 0.50 krb definitive is probably used only as a symbol of postage fee having been paid. A postage-due mark of Karlovka bears a handwritten "7000". Is this a true postage-due charge due to insufficient franking or a converted mark to denote payment of the necessary domestic letter rate? Someone with knowledge of the prevailing rate might be able to help!

maptrekker

Post by maptrekker »

A postage-due mark of Karlovka bears a handwritten "7000". Is this a true postage-due charge due to insufficient franking or a converted mark to denote payment of the necessary domestic letter rate? Someone with knowledge of the prevailing rate might be able to help!
A double-weight letter would have been 7000 at this time.

vasia

Post by vasia »

Below are examples of "paid" markings from miscellaneous oblasts:

38. Letter from Ternopol, posted on 14/10/1995 to Odessa (15/10). A violet rectangular "ЗА ПЕРЕСЫЛКУ OПЛOЧЕНО" handstamp (roughly: "forwarding paid"?) with a handwritten "5 thousand karb" is used to indicate payment of the necessary tariff.

39. Letter from Pogozhaya Krinitsa, Romens'kyi rayon of Sumy oblast, posted on 12/11/1993 to Kiev (13/11). A violet rectangular handstamp with "ДОПЛАТА ....НЕНА" + a handwritten "9p" are used to mark payment. By this time the 27 krb rate should have gone into effect. Can someone make out the second word in the handstamp?

maptrekker

Post by maptrekker »

СТЯГНЕНА -- something like "charged"

vasia

Post by vasia »

Thank you, maptrekker, for your help with these covers. :D

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”