Will Royal Mail issue any Ashes commemorative stamps for 2023?

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

GB 789
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: Will Royal Mail issue any Ashes commemorative stamps for 2023?

Post by GB 789 »

Interesting logic here from the Aussies.

England’s win in the last World Cup doesn’t seem to count because it was held in England??? What? With that logic, India can’t celebrate winning this tournament (if they do)???

Likewise, India has a population 15 x the size of the U.K. and currently has only 2 World Cup wins so clearly the Aussies view them as SUPER LOSERS!

And as for New Zealand , no wins! They must be SUPER SUPER LOSERS!

With this questionable reasoning and fair weather supporting, on behalf of every other cricketing nation fan, COME ON INDIA!
norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by norvic »

GB 789 wrote: 18 Nov 2023 04:10 Interesting logic here from the Aussies.

England’s win in the last World Cup doesn’t seem to count because it was held in England??? What? With that logic, India can’t celebrate winning this tournament (if they do)???

Likewise, India has a population 15 x the size of the U.K. and currently has only 2 World Cup wins so clearly the Aussies view them as SUPER LOSERS!

With this questionable reasoning and fair weather supporting, on behalf of every other cricketing nation fan, COME ON INDIA!
What is doubly interesting is that on the other (Long Room) thread the Australian members of the board tend to only comment when the Ashes are being fought for, and ignore most limited over competitions even when Australia are taking part. When many DID get involved it was mainly to say how much better they were than England, ignoring Australia's defeats and matches between other sides.

Oh, of course it was the racing season - that was the initial excuse for ignoring the ICC World Cup.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3, 304, 310, 320/2/4/6-8, 331/7/8, 344/6, 353/8, 360/1/3
GB 789

Post by GB 789 »

norvic wrote: 18 Nov 2023 04:41
GB 789 wrote: 18 Nov 2023 04:10 Interesting logic here from the Aussies.

What is doubly interesting is that on the other (Long Room) thread the Australian members of the board tend to only comment when the Ashes are being fought for, and ignore most limited over competitions even when Australia are taking part. When many DID get involved it was mainly to say how much better they were than England, ignoring Australia's defeats and matches between other sides.

Oh, of course it was the racing season - that was the initial excuse for ignoring the ICC World Cup.
And of course if Australia do not win this final, there will be no further mention of this tournament by any of them. Fair weather fans is an apt description.
Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

norvic wrote: 18 Nov 2023 04:41 Oh, of course it was the racing season - that was the initial excuse for ignoring the ICC World Cup.
My apologies. I have been using that excuse for sixty years. :D
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, lighthouses, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

GB 789 wrote: 18 Nov 2023 04:49

And of course if Australia do not win this final, there will be no further mention of this tournament by any of them. Fair weather fans is an apt description.

Really? :roll: :roll: :roll:

We at least we MADE the finals - unlike England getting beaten at cricket by Moldova and Paraguay and Laos etc.

AND more relevant Australia have won it a record 5 times, and the only defeats India have had in recent matches were all to AUSTRALIA.

England winning ONCE in 50 years is quite pathetic for a cricketing nation .... but admittedly it is not as bad as your perennial choker Soccer performances on the world stage, I do concede. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Global Admin wrote: 17 Nov 2023 21:53
Global Admin wrote: 17 Nov 2023 19:19
GB 789 wrote: 17 Nov 2023 05:49
I’m not sure what ‘loser’ mentality you are referring to because you seem to have forgotten who won the last World Cup?
Sorry to bore Poms with actual FACTS, but Britain has won ICC ODI once in 50 years - (on home turf) - the same sorry record as their sad history in World Cup soccer. Brits still dream of those glory days - 60 years back! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The FACTS are, Australia stands as the most successful team in the ICC ODI World Cup, securing victory on 5 occasions (and one more coming this week!) and earning runner-up honors twice.

Following Australia, both India and West Indies have claimed the World Cup title twice each.

The most recent edition of the ICC ODI Men’s World Cup took place in 2019 in England and Wales, where the hosting country, England, clinched the title for the first time.

I think Royal Mail should get cunning, and print 500 million stamps saying -

ENGLAND
LOSERS

They can then stock PO's whenever there is any global sporting contest. Soccer, cricket, darts, basketball, Morriss Dancing, caber tossing etc.

They'll get a ton of usage. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
norvic

Post by norvic »

GB 789 wrote: 18 Nov 2023 04:49 And of course if Australia do not win this final, there will be no further mention of this tournament by any of them. Fair weather fans is an apt description.
Nobody seems to be able to address this, but we shall see on Sunday evening (India and UK time).
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3, 304, 310, 320/2/4/6-8, 331/7/8, 344/6, 353/8, 360/1/3
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

I am convinced that 'NEGATIVITY' is a compulsory school subject in the UK, and every student passes that one with honours! Norvic and GB 789 both were top of their Country - no doubt about it. :lol:

The debut Las Vegas F1 Grand Prix is of course on at the very same time for a few hours, which this little brown Duck will be glued to.

But I am sure, if I hear loud cheers from 2 brown cardigan Brits glued to their RADIOS, that we will know India is ahead. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Australia will either win, or be runner-up adding to our stunning track record - see above. Britain's pathetic result will of course not change - but these losers forget the obvious.

Pretty bizarre that those £100s of quid p.a. loopy 'TV Licences' all the lemmings in the UK dutifully pay each year, still don't allow folks to watch either leading sport, live and free! Radio is just so 1930s -- perfect for Britain. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Luckily for these paragons of negativity - STAMPBOARDS will have BOTH results - live and free!

Glen
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
norvic

Post by norvic »

The Cricket World Cup Final will be broadcast free to air in the UK on Channel 5, just as the most important matches are.

Much as I like Virat Kohli's smile, and hate some of the smug grins from Warner and Smith, I will be best pleased by a fairly balanced game, rather than anything one-sided, and will be happy for cricket if this happens.

Don't expect many cheers from the crowd in Ahmadabad when Australia take wickets or hit boundaries though. The visiting Australian supporters will be well outnumbered. If they win against such strong opposition it should be a worthy win.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Well with a 99.999% manic and loud and out of control Indian crowd, they'll get major support. Worth about 50-75 runs advantage. A huge asset.

One thing for sure, no matter the end result, Kohli should hit at least one 6, (probably several) unless he is out very early, so that will pay for a nice dinner tomorrow hopefully! 2.1 seemed super high odds to me on that. :!: 8-)

Capture.JPG
norvic

Post by norvic »

Couldn’t agree more. Hokies giving money away. :shock:
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

norvic wrote: 18 Nov 2023 21:49
GB 789 wrote: 18 Nov 2023 04:49 And of course if Australia do not win this final, there will be no further mention of this tournament by any of them. Fair weather fans is an apt description.
Nobody seems to be able to address this, but we shall see on Sunday evening (India and UK time).
Australia win the ODI World Cup, retain the Ashes etc., fittingly with Maxwell scoring the winning run.

A country with a winning psyche.

Unlike the British, who sadly bask in a negative sentiment.

A ingrained loser’s mindset.

Also noting that we as a country of 25 million, just beat a country of over a billion.

And no sixes from Kohli to boot …

norvic

Post by norvic »

Pom-bashing here.

Please form an orderly queue
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

GB 789 wrote: 18 Nov 2023 04:49

But of course, we won it easily by 6 wickets, in front of a 130,000 partisan Indian crowd. We are the only team to have beaten India in all recent matches.

GB 789 is penning his warm 'congratulations to Australia' post right now - I feel sure. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

(Unless he has chewed off all his fingers in bad tempered spite!)

GB 789

Post by GB 789 »

Yes Glen, congratulations to Australia, the best team won on the day and all credit to your nation for that, particularly coping with a hostile, expectant home crowd. To paraphrase your words Glen, India must be absolute losers though to not win a World Cup in their own country, EVEN ENGLAND MANAGED THAT!

Of course, I have looked on the other cricket thread in the Watercooler over recent years and do not recall you or Rigs ever congratulating the opposition when they beat Australia, for example the two ashes games this year. A little hypocritical I’d say with what you have written on here about bad sport poms, etc.

But like I said, it was an exciting game today and Australia were worthy champions.

We have a saying in this country concerning rivalries between football teams - being OBSESSED - where opposition fans continually talk about give abuse to the rival team rather than focus on their own team. I’d think your constant bleating about how poor England are in everything when you see Australia as so superior in every way falls into this obsessed category.

Why waste time abusing little old England if we are so poor at everything? Answer - It’s because you are obsessed with us as you have no other real rivalry hence why our country’s rivalry is so important to your sporting identity. Without it, you have nothing. It is very ironic that.
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

GB 789 wrote: 20 Nov 2023 06:06 Of course, I have looked on the other cricket thread in the Watercooler over recent years and do not recall you or Rigs ever congratulating the opposition when they beat Australia, for example the two ashes games this year. A little hypocritical I’d say with what you have written on here about bad sport poms, etc.
Well not true, I have written to your King, urging him to intervene, and offered free artwork to RM urging them to get behind English cricket, but sadly it has fallen on deaf ears, even for your country's major achievement this World Cup:
Rigs wrote: 17 Nov 2023 21:24 Image
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

GB 789 wrote: 20 Nov 2023 06:06
Why waste time abusing little old England if we are so poor at everything?

Why? Because certain Poms like you, wander about, endlessly bleating about how bad we are, and how great England is at all things, with zero foundation. 'Reap And Ye shall Sow'.

Pretty funny really, with strutting little Bantams with you, with chests puffed out, clucking 'Rule Britannia'. :lol: :lol:

rigs - did Charles Da Adulterer ever formally reply to your most polite letter?

Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Global Admin wrote: 20 Nov 2023 17:36 rigs - did Charles Da Adulterer ever formally reply to your most polite letter above?
No, despite a round-the-clock vigil by the mailbox, the pompous prat never responded.

Plainly too busy on the phone to Hazza or some such I expect.

How ungrateful is that?

Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

And to think we educated the wimpy little snob down here too. Tried to make a man of him, but it did not succeed very well.

Bring on William and Kate and some relevance. Let the Adulterers bugger off to some Royal Aged care complex in Upper Tooting. :!: :!:

We have a great affinity for failed Royals here - yes, we helped raised Charles after all. 8-) 8-)

This new Catherine Tate TV series 'The Queen Of Oz' is about one such Royal flopperoo down here - hysterical - do take a look - :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AokYlbVIEZ4

Cutting down trees and bushes - not a great look for the alleged great tree hugger??

In Australia, we do try hard to assist your leaders over there, to see things from the real world perspective, away from your stifling class system.

Mummy and Daddy sent Charlie Boy here to rugged and tough Timbertop School, in the remote Geelong bushland, to knock the crap out of the wimpy sod, and toughen him up a bit, but clearly it did not work.

He was caught trying to saw his foot off, in front of the cameras, as can be seen below, in order to get expelled and returned home, ''I thought it was my Cello bow, Mr Headmaster, not a razor sharp rip saw'' and he indeed was sent back to the UK, happily hugging trees and eating Tampons etc, and partaking in a long term adulterous relationship, as is the tradition of British Royalty. :!:

He earned 7 more medals for that, from Mummy and Daddy, to add to the 416 he now has. 8-)

This tired loser is SOOOOO old, the only images of him from back then, are in Black and White! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your recent Prime Minister Boris was a teacher out there at the same rugged Timbertop School. Make of THAT what you will. We seem to have toughened him up nicely at least. :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbertop
GB 789

Post by GB 789 »

What does the above wild rant about King Charles have to do with cricket that is the topic of this thread?
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

I was scratching my head in despair for Pakistan this morning, after watching Warner dropped by first slip in the opening overs of the first session of the Boxing Day test in Melbourne.

It was a sitter.

I mean, they sent us into bat!

They do try hard the Pakis, but where did they learn to play like such losers?

Where did the negative mentality seep into their game?

And then, in an interview during Tea, I found the answer.

Turns out the new Pakistan Captain, Shan Masood Khan, is also the captain of the Yorkshire County Cricket club!

Enough said.

(The home of Geoffrey Boycott no less - no Bazball there - remember that slow innings in the first test by their opener? Like watching grass grow.)

The pieces of the puzzle fell into place.

Not only is he captain of Yorkshire, but also educated in England.

Universities churning out well-heeled foreign graduates, who apparently become unwittingly infected with ELM (English Loser Mentality).

And then lead their country to sporting oblivion in Australia …

Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

GB 789 wrote: 21 Nov 2023 03:00
What does the above wild rant about King Charles have to do with cricket that is the topic of this thread?

It is all inter-related of course.

Da Thurd was clearly clueless as a Prince, trying to cut his foot off to get out of school in Australia, and he remains clueless as a King.

He approved this recent UK stamp below, of him peering down wistfully on the Caribbean immigrants that came to the UK, and wistfully wishing they or their heirs had been better chosen, and played cricket for the English team, and added some ability into the UK Cricket gene pool. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Getting beaten by what - Netherlands and Laos and Bolivia etc in the recent World Series was a very bad look. No Knighthoods for this sorry current lot. 2023 was an annus horribilus for UK cricket.

Remind us again WHICH country won? 8-)

lesbootman
I was *ALMOST* online for post number TEN MILLION!

Post by lesbootman »

Was it Australia?
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

lesbootman wrote: 26 Dec 2023 18:47 Was it Australia?
You must be referring to the match where Travis Head scored 137?

norvic

Post by norvic »

Rigs wrote: 26 Dec 2023 17:04 .

I was scratching my head in despair for Pakistan this morning, after watching Warner dropped by first slip in the opening overs of the first session of the Boxing Day test in Melbourne.

It was a sitter.

Turns out the new Pakistan Captain, Shan Masood Khan, is also the captain of the Yorkshire County Cricket club!

Enough said.

(The home of Geoffrey Boycott no less - no Bazball there - remember that slow innings in the first test by their opener? Like watching grass grow.)

Universities churning out well-heeled foreign graduates, who apparently become unwittingly infected with ELM (English Loser Mentality).

Todays competition - how many different threads have the Australians used for a Review of the Pom-bashing Year?

How tedious. Time to find something more interesting to do until the stamp threads get back to stamps. (Not that this one will because it was never about stamps in the first place and belonged in the Water Cooler from day 1 :lol: ).
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Let's face it, there is nothing else to do in freezing Pommieland over Xmas .. except to add a few more random whines ...... as you have just proved!

Charles Da Adulterer droning on the BBC, everything retail is locked up, no cricketers playing to get beaten again, a lame duck Tory government all resigning, to get out before the Apocalypse ... all pretty dull.

Back to the BBQ here ..... where is the sunscreen cream and COLD beer? 8-)
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

norvic wrote: 26 Dec 2023 20:15
Rigs wrote: 26 Dec 2023 17:04 .

It was a sitter.

Enough said.

Todays competition - how many different threads have the Australians used for a Review of the Pom-bashing Year?

How tedious. Time to find something more interesting to do until the stamp threads get back to stamps. (Not that this one will because it was never about stamps in the first place and belonged in the Water Cooler from day 1 :lol: ).
I think the ICC need to get on top of this quickly.

Otherwise ELM will spread among the weaker cricketing nations faster than COVID.

Pakistan today, who knows who is next?

Before you know it Zimbabwe or Netherlands will be grooming their next cricket leaders at Eton or Oxford - bastions of English negativity.

I would write a letter to His Majesty and warn him immediately, but no doubt he will be busy editing out footage of Andy Pandy and Hazza from next year’s Xmas sermon.

(Gotta love the gratuitous half second grab of Edward and Sophie in this year’s episode? Blink and you missed them)

GB 789

Post by GB 789 »

Ironic that the Boxing Day test was rain affected today and 187-3 isn’t exactly a thrashing of Pakistan - I also think Rigs you will find shortening the Pakistani name is actually an offensive term these days, even in backwaters like Australia. So perhaps refrain from using that term.

I’m happily watching the Boxing Day footy (that’s the real thing not sh*tty AFL that only drongos watch, or other fake concepts), with millions of others around the world. Sipping on my latest, cold, Burton-brewed pint enjoying a traditional winter Christmas. I wonder how many people outside of Oz and Pakistan are watching the cricket today, a few thousands maximum but let’s pretend Oz is the centre of the sporting universe. Let’s all celebrate that 2-2 win in the Ashes - well done you! 🤣

Only when you realise that football is the true world sport, not cricket, rugger or any of the other sports pinched from the colonists, and devote your resources to that will Australia actually achieve something worthwhile on the world stage.
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

GB 789 wrote: 27 Dec 2023 02:55 Ironic that the Boxing Day test was rain affected today

A brief rain delay perhaps, but not washed out like it is in freezing cold and sodden England:
IMG_0978.jpeg
In fact there were two more back to back BBL fixtures after the test match.

A feast of sunny summer sport:
IMG_0979.jpeg
Incidentally one of them ‘featured’ your Clowns of Cricket Ashes opener, KREEPY KRAWLEY, who is out here playing for the Scorchers.

A smart tactic for him to get some Aussie batting experience under his belt, but sadly I was fetching an ice cold beer when the game started and missed his two ball innings.

Someone for you to pin a nation’s Ashes hopes on no doubt … :roll:

Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Just placed this scarce PNC into stock at $A90 -- 20% discount to any English buyer. :)

Glen
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Same old poms … always hypocrites.

Foakes attempting to stump Bumrah - remind you of anything?

https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/moral-loss-divisive-ac ... 2d7bce5f49

England hypocrisy

England has opened Pandora’s box with a sly act from wicketkeeper Ben Foakes during their thrilling victory against India in Hyderabad on Sunday night.

The tourists won the series opener by 28 runs after trailing by 170 runs at the end of India’s first innings.

It was a famous victory for “Bazball”, but also a devastating first moral loss for the Poms under coach Brendon McCullum.

A storm is erupting over the moment late in the match when Foakes attempted to stump Jasprit Bumrah off the bowling of spinning hero Tom Hartley, who finished the second innings with 7/62 in his debut Test.

England is simply lucky Foakes mistimed his motion of whipping off the bails — or the enthralling victory would likely have been overshadowed by the divisive act.

Jasprit Bumrah was flying high when Ben Foakes reacted.

Cricket commentators have been poking fun at the Poms with many linking the near-dismissal to Alex Carey’s explosive dismissal of Jonny Bairstow that saw the 2023 Ashes series erupt.

With India 9/189, TV replays showed Bumrah had completed the back swing of a loose cross-bat slog that had left his body leaning towards the leg side.

The star fast-bowler attempted to get back upright on his feet with a jumping motion that saw both of his feet leave the ground.

After collecting the ball in his gloves, Foakes paused for a moment before noticing Bumrah’s strange jump. As quick as a flash he attempted to whip the bails off, but was too slow.

Ben Foakes reacted well after Bumrah had completed his defensive move. Photo: Fox Cricket.
Ben Foakes reacted well after Bumrah had completed his defensive move. Photo: Fox Cricket.
Foakes screamed an appeal to the side-on umpire and the decision was sent to the video umpire.

Most noticeably, there was no attempt to withdraw the appeal or any hesitation not to proceed while England desperately hunted the final wicket needed.

Understandably, there are plenty of cricket commentators that aren’t ready to let England get away with such a blatant act of hypocrisy following the meltdown caused by Carey’s dismissal at Lord’s.

Australian players were branded cheats by the Barmy Army — and there were the infamous scenes of Australian players being abused as they walked through the famous Long Room on their way to the dressing room.

Moeen Ali, went even further and said Australian captain Pat Cummins “missed” a chance to reset his team’s reputation in the wake of the sandpaper scandal in South Africa in 2018.

It was Harry Brook that dropped the iconic phrase that victory in the final Test of the series would have been a “moral victory” for the home side.

Australia famously retained the Ashes during the spiteful series, but England had remained undefeated as moral world champions — until the owners of the spirit of cricket teetered briefly with Foakes’ stumping attempt on Sunday.

As you can see in the video player above, Foakes was of course well within his rights to attempt the dismissal — but the 2023 versions of spirit of cricket evangelists Ben Stokes and Brendon McCullum must surely be rolling around in their Ashes graves.

The hypocritical response from Stokes and Foakes with the shoe on the other foot on Sunday has not gone overlooked, with SEN cricket commentator Adam Collins among those addressing the incident.
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

I was looking for something good to say about English cricket lately, but sadly just the opposite (as usual).

Thrashed by 400 runs against the Indians in the third test.

In true form Sad Stokes blamed the DRS (Umm - let's not talk about the Bazball? :roll:)

Same old Clowns of Cricket - always whingeing about losing ...

https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/somethings-gone-wrong- ... c4852d4397

‘Something’s gone wrong’: Ben Stokes calls for immediate rule change

England captain Ben Stokes has been left seeing red and calling for a change to the rules after his side was blown off the park in India.

England humiliated in all-time thrashing

England captain Ben Stokes wants to “get rid” of the umpire’s call element in the decision review system after Zak Crawley’s controversial dismissal in the second innings of the third Test against India.

Crawley departed for just 11 runs in England’s second innings after he was trapped LBW by Indian star Jasprit Bumrah, with the opener given the soft signal of out by the umpire.

The English star immediately elected to review, but despite the ball seemingly missing the stumps, it was deemed umpire’s call and therefore Crawley had to go given the umpire’s soft signal.

Crawley’s disbelief was clear to see as he walked off the field.

England failed to mount any offence from that moment onwards as the visitors were rolled for 122 in the second innings, dropping the third Test to India by a whopping 434 runs.

Although Stokes did not pin the blame for his side’s thrashing on Crawley’s controversial exit, he called for the umpire’s call concept to be abolished.

“We just wanted some clarity around Zak’s DRS when the images came back,” Stokes told talkSPORT.

“The ball is quite clearly missing the stump on the replay. So when it gets given umpire’s call and the ball’s not actually hitting the stumps, we were a bit bemused.

Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Only getting beaten by 400 runs -- that is a WIN for England - surely? :lol: :lol:

'BazBall' strikes again. :roll: :roll:

Ben Stokes, instead of whining like all losing poms do about anything, might like to look at his own pathetic contribution in a side that needed RUNNNNNNNS - FIFTEEN runs. Maybe the umpiring was to blame for that too? 8-) 8-) 8-)

norvic assures us that there is a blanket media ban on these Tests in the UK unless England does OK, so this thread might be the first they will know abut the collapse of the Mighty Lion cubs?

I seem to recall Australia beat India, in India recently in the Test series .. did we whine about the umpiring technology? Hmmmmm.

It is what it is - at least now any HOWLER umpire decisions can and do often get reversed.

20 years back when any umpire said OUT that was the end of things.

Stokes would do well to review the 500 times that technology has SAVED Pommie batsmen in the past.

As history tells us - only MORONS keep making the same mistakes time and time again. Ben Stokes just got a Moron Knighthood - with twin Oak Leaves - it is clear he is not too bright, but really .....

Get whupped by Australia using 'BazBall' - 'We won't change'

Then get Whupped by India using 'BazBall' ' We won't change'

He has the IQ of my goldfish! This pig headed dope, way past his prime, is now England CAPTAIN ????!!!! He is the very BEST they have ????

FzGJ6ffXoAAnoYr.jpg
Capture.JPG
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

The media ban is working Glen - I'm blissfully unaware of what is going on in India.

It is still winter here (cold, windy and wet) - not cricket weather at all.
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

lesbootman wrote: 19 Feb 2024 19:57
The media ban is working Glen - I'm blissfully unaware of what is going on in India.

It is still winter here (cold, windy and wet) - not cricket weather at all.

Of course, it is cold and windy and wet - it is ENGLAND after all. Even the Romans gave up on your orrible climate. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am sure someone living on a remote Scottish island in a hidden cave, painted in woad and wrapped in animal skins, might well be unaware of the Test result. :!:

The other 60 million Brits who have a TV set or a radio, or glance at any British newspaper like the one below, ARE fully aware!

'The Guardian' may not be on sale where you live, but I bet the 'Bury Bugle' covered it?

I mean there is nothing else to do there, the warm beer is handy in Winter I guess, economy is down the tubes, a serial adulterer is on the throne, Government about to be annihilated, so reading about CRICKET breaks the monotony there. :mrgreen:

Capture.JPG
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

I can only thank you Glen for making us Poms aware of what is going on these days.

I'm sure it makes you feel better too, indulging in a bit of Pom-bashing.

Isn't it marvellous that Australia has no problems or matters of concern whatsoever? :D
norvic

Post by norvic »

Global Admin wrote: 19 Feb 2024 20:44 The other 60 million Brits who have a TV set or a radio, or glance at any British newspaper like the one below, ARE fully aware!
:D

Unlike 26 million Australians, 60 million Brits are not obsessed with sport, and those that are tend to favour soccer or rugby (six nations tournament) at this time of year.

The 80% of the population over the age of 15 probably do not all read newspapers - witness the extremely low circulation figures (some have stopped providing figures presumably because they are so low).

Figures shown are average circulations for January of each year. Regardless of immediate source, all figures originate from the Audit Bureau of Circulations. In the 2020s, several newspapers stopped reporting circulation figures (Wikipedia)
Figures shown are average circulations for January of each year. Regardless of immediate source, all figures originate from the Audit Bureau of Circulations. In the 2020s, several newspapers stopped reporting circulation figures (Wikipedia)

And as for 'radio' - I'm sure I have one somewhere...

If it wasn't for people like you and Rigs* banging on about it on here I would have been blissfully unaware. Thank you for bringing it to our attention once again. I understand that this is a five-test series: two more chances for you to bring us up to speed.

* Edited to give full credit.
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

:ugeek: no
norvic wrote: 19 Feb 2024 21:10
Unlike 26 million Australians, 60 million Brits are not obsessed with sport, and those that are tend to favour soccer or rugby (six nations tournament) at this time of year.
Let’s just examine that statement and take it on good faith.

First bit quite true: Brits are not obsessed with sport.

Too preoccupied with losing for starters.

‘And those that are tend to favour soccer …’

Sorry is that the same soccer that the Aussie-coached Spurs play?

Ange Postecoglou - the coach that fans are ‘obsessed’ with?

Even Liverpool are rumoured to be in talks to poach him.

Let that ruminate a minute: an Aussie coaching Liverpool how to play football.

Actually no surprise really, they might learn how to win.

Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

lesbootman wrote: 19 Feb 2024 20:57
I can only thank you Glen for making us Poms aware of what is going on these days.

I'm sure it makes you feel better too, indulging in a bit of Pom-bashing.

Isn't it marvellous that Australia has no problems or matters of concern whatsoever? :D

You are welcome. Always pleased to educate Brits. :D

Well to keep to the topic, we are winning Test Cricket series this year, and the temperature is about 40C here today, the beer is ALWAYS cold, and the Government is stable. 8-)
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Rigs wrote: 19 Feb 2024 21:40

His tenure at Spurs started brightly but has fizzled out a bit lately. Spurs lost at home on Saturday to my team, Wolves, who are over-achieving at the moment in a solid mid-table position, meaning that Wolves have done the double over Spurs this season.

How can that be? Wolves have an English manager.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

norvic wrote: 19 Feb 2024 21:10
The 80% of the population over the age of 15 probably do not all read newspapers - witness the extremely low circulation figures (some have stopped providing figures presumably because they are so low).

So the Internet has been banned in England - much like North Korea? I learn something new here EVERY day.

OK so the massively viewed news media and NEWSPAPER 'websites' (translated for Norvic- 'the internet') and their front pages are being read by no Pommies huddled shivering in front of their gloomy coal braziers, scoffing down chip butties and cocoa, watching grainy videotapes of the 'ENGLAND WINNERS 1966' footy match, and cursing Stokes for continuing to be a dickhead, and pursuing this BazBall nonsense??
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

lesbootman wrote: 19 Feb 2024 22:27

His tenure at Spurs started brightly but has fizzled out a bit lately. Spurs lost at home on Saturday to my team, Wolves, who are over-achieving at the moment in a solid mid-table position, meaning that Wolves have done the double over Spurs this season.

Yes, Wolves have an English coach and are coming 11th.

Spurs have an Aussie coach and are coming 5th.

Do keep up :roll:
2024-02-20 10_44_00-spurs vs wolvees.jpg
Perhaps if England sacked their second rate Kiwi Coach, McCullum the 'Bazball hack', and hired an Aussie they might fare better.

We have a few third grade or u10s coaches in my local cricket club who specialise in the basics - presenting a straight bat etc., I could ask them if they are interested on your behalf?

Rooted and Kreepy Krawley come to mind among the Clowns who might benefit.

But then again not ...

Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Australia beats 2nd rate kiwis by six wickets in the T20.

A stroll in the park for the world's best.

Makes you wonder when will the poms learn and get rid of Brendan McCullum?

The 2nd rate Kiwi 'Bazball' coach of England:

Losers training Losers :lol:

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Rigs wrote: 20 Feb 2024 11:01
lesbootman wrote: 19 Feb 2024 22:27

Yes, Wolves have an English coach and are coming 11th.

Spurs have an Aussie coach and are coming 5th.

Do keep up :roll:

These days Premier League football is very much money related. You seem to either be blissfully ignorant of this or have blatantly disregarded the impact that the comparative budgets of Spurs and Wolves should have had.

If you'd taken the time and trouble to properly research your subject you would be aware of the unfortunate fact that you are both displaying your lack of understanding and have chosen to totally miss the point I was trying to make.

Does it matter in the great scheme of things ? Nope. :lol:
norvic

Post by norvic »

Rigs wrote: 22 Feb 2024 10:00 .

Australia beats 2nd rate kiwis by six wickets in the T20.

A stroll in the park for the world's best.

Apart from being off-topic, but then what is in this thread nowadays?, this totally ignores the facts.
Tim David powered Australia to victory over New Zealand from the final ball of a thrilling first T20 in Wellington.

Chasing 216, Australia needed 32 from the last nine balls
OR, Aussies scrape last ball victory losing more wickets than Kiwis along the way.

First T20, Wellington:

New Zealand 215-3 (20 overs): Ravindra 68 (35), Conway 63 (46); Marsh 1-21

Australia 216-4 (20 overs): Marsh 72* (44); Santner 2-42

Australia won by six wickets

Australia won, by one run, which was all they needed.
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

norvic wrote: 22 Feb 2024 18:35 Chasing 216, Australia needed 32 from the last nine balls
I appreciate hitting 32 off 9 balls may be a big thing at your local village green.

But against 2nd rate kiwis, who are little more than domestic Sheffield Shield standard, (remember NZ is really the 8th state of Oz), it is a stroll in the park for the world’s best.

Maxwell scoring 200 from 128 is something to poke a bent stick at:

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/3772289/glenn-maxwell-201-no ... highlights

But, I get it, such feats are beyond the imagination of English cricket.

Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

But to be fair, I recall England did defeat Netherlands or Nicaragua or some other cricket superpower in the past year or so? Or maybe it was a draw. But anyway, this momentous event got front page coverage in the UK, unlike this disaster has!

If the Pommies ever managed to win a T20 by one run, they'd all get more Knighthoods and front pages - be no whining about the long-standing rules then!
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

1st Test update:

Q: How do you beat a 2nd rate Kiwi team?

A: Just send in your number 10 :lol:
2024-03-01 12_08_16-Live Cricket Scores, Results & Commentary.jpg
Good luck the poms with their 2nd rate Kiwi coach and 2nd rate Kiwi captain?

Show us your Bazball ...

Rigs

Post by Rigs »

1st Test update:

Q: How do you beat a 2nd rate Kiwi team?

A: Just send in your number 10 :lol:

Good luck the poms with their 2nd rate Kiwi coach and 2nd rate Kiwi captain?

Show us your Bazball ... :roll:

Rigs

Post by Rigs »

The Men's ICC Cricket T20 World Cup is starting in June.

England's first game is against Scotland.
2024-05-09 14_15_14-Matches _ ICC Men's T20 World Cup, 2024.jpg
They'd be nervous I think (i.e. England, not Scotland :lol:)

Plus, an interesting opening fixture on the 2 June for USA vs Canada at Grand Prairie Stadium in TEXAS, of all places:

https://www.google.com/search?q=icc+t20+world+cup&rlz=1C1GGR ... 68;mt;fp;1;;;

GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by GlenStephens »

I asked my mate Harry to ask his Dad about my long overdue Knighthood, when he was in London this week, and the cheeky sod refused to meet him.

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”