Will Royal Mail issue any Ashes commemorative stamps for 2023?

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Rigs
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: Will Royal Mail issue any Ashes commemorative stamps for 2023?

Post by Rigs »

GlenStephens wrote: 09 May 2024 16:11 I asked my mate Harry to ask his Dad about my long overdue Knighthood, when he was in London this week, and the cheeky sod refused to meet him.
How rude.

Ghosted by HRH.

It's just not cricket, that sort of behaviour ...

GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by GlenStephens »

Yes a darm insult. Armies of dud pommie 'cricketers' get handed gongs, yet hard working stamp dealers get caught up in the internal bickering of these inbreds.

Even a mere CBE I'd probably settle for at a pinch. Harry and Megan have let me down badly. Anyone have William's email? He seems the sanest one, on reflection
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Straight after Scotland, those ‘armies of dud pommie cricketers’ play Australia!

Poor blighters - we know the outcome there :lol:

But then, a glimmer of hope!

England vs OMAN on the 14 June.

Surely, hopefully …. a game the nation can pin its hopes on!

The clowns will all be there - family favourites including bumbling Bairstow the Buffoon, pluck a DUCKett etc.

The Omanis have probably never heard of Bazball either.

Perhaps then we shall see a commemorative from RM?

Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Well Oman is Tier 3 of the Global Cricketing nations and the UK must surely scrape into tier 2 even these days, so they might fluke a narrow win?

I think the Brits managed a mighty defeat of Zimbabwe in recent times?

I am flying to Wales in 2 weeks - I'll do some urgent recruiting there - surely some of that lot can play cricket? ALL the men cannot be down the pits digging coal and peat bog etc? Here is their big chance of a KNIGHTHOOD. :!: :!: :!: :!:

Charlie was the Big Prince over there of Wales for decades and decades - he owes them a ton of gongs.
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Global Admin wrote: 09 May 2024 21:05
I am flying to Wales in 2 weeks - I'll do some urgent recruiting there - surely some of that lot can play cricket?
No backyard cricket over there - too cold!

And the beaches are rocks and pebbles so no beach cricket either.

I guess T20 is only 20 overs - surely the clowns can bat for 20 overs?

Then again not.

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by norvic »

Rigs wrote: 09 May 2024 21:24
Global Admin wrote: 09 May 2024 21:05
I am flying to Wales in 2 weeks - I'll do some urgent recruiting there - surely some of that lot can play cricket?
No backyard cricket over there - too cold!

And the beaches are rocks and pebbles so no beach cricket either.
I'm not going to take the bait on cricket matters, but this is just one of the many Welsh beaches.

Another beach not far away is Pendine Sands.
Pendine Sands is a 7 mile long beach on the shores of Carmarthen Bay on the south coast of Wales. It stretches from Gilman Point in the west to Laugharne Sands in the east. The village of Pendine is situated near the western end of Pendine Sands.

In the early 1900s the sands were used as a venue for car and motor cycle races. From 1922 the annual Welsh TT motor cycle event was held at Pendine Sands. The firm flat surface of the beach created a race track that was both straighter and smoother than many major roads at the time. Motor Cycle magazine described the sands as "The finest natural speedway imaginable"

In the 1920s it became clear that roads and race tracks were no longer adequate venues for attempts on the world land speed record. As record breaking speeds approached 150 mph (240 km/h), the requirements for acceleration to top speed before the measured mile and safe braking distance afterwards meant that a smooth, flat, straight surface of at least 5 miles in length was needed.

The first person to use Pendine Sands for a world land speed record attempt was Malcolm Campbell. On September 25, 1924 he set a world land speed record of 146.16 mph (235.22 km/h) on Pendine Sands in his car Bluebird.

In 1933 Amy Johnson and her husband, Jim Mollinson, took off from Pendine Sands in a De Havilland Dragon Rapide to fly non-stop to the United States.

In June 2002 the grandson of Malcolm Campbell, Donald (Don) Wales, set a new UK kilometer record at Pendine Sands in an electric car named Bluebird, achieving a speed of 137 mph (220 km/h).
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3/4, 304, 310, 320/2/4/7/8, 331/7, 344/6, 353/8, 363/4
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Very wise to keep away from even mentioning UK 'cricketers'!

Do they bulldoze off all the boulders there, or just sell them as building material for pool surrounds - very popular here? :lol:

Oops, no domestic swimming pools in the UK of course silly me - OK perhaps for eel pond surrounds? 8-)
norvic

Post by norvic »

Global Admin wrote: 10 May 2024 00:04 Very wise to keep away from even mentioning UK 'cricketers'!

Do they bulldoze off all the boulders there, or just sell them as building material for pool surrounds - very popular here? :lol:

Oops, no domestic swimming pools in the UK of course silly me - OK perhaps for eel pond surrounds? 8-)
No need for bulldozers, nature provides, just as it does in your country. In both our countries, nature provides and nature takes away which is why some beaches here and there have been scoured clean by strong weather, sometimes almost overnight.

Yes silly you; plenty of people here have domestic swimming pools; granted many of them are indoor but outdoor domesic pools have been around for 100 years or more.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3/4, 304, 310, 320/2/4/7/8, 331/7, 344/6, 353/8, 363/4
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

I've been reading up on outdoor swimming pools in the UK.

Seems they are a SUPERB idea for buyers - who lop 5% off the value of house as they need to fill them with soil or concrete! The weather of course is too crap to use them and cost to heat them is horrific. (We have this cool stuff called SUNSHINE here for that purpose!)

So, you can go to a communal pool, and swim in a toxic Petri Dish containing every disease even known to mankind all swirling about, and spend a week in hospital, or watch videos of warm places and drool.

These below are BRITS telling the true story - maybe even cricketers - I do not know -

1.jpg
11.jpg
1.jpg
GB 789

Post by GB 789 »

A very odd conversation to be having in an Ashes cricket topic but I guess it’s the norm with such topics.

Anyway for good measure, here’s some statistics about the number of Aussies having a private pool.
IMG_9191.jpeg
So it would seem that 87-89% of the Aussie population have to use a communal one with all those ‘ germs’ you mentioned and the apparently resulting week long sickness after having a little dip.

Also with all that hot air there, imagine the amount of bodily sweat topping up the water that would be evaporating rapidly. By the end of a summer’s day an Aussie communal pool will 50% water and 50% sweat 🤢🤢🤢

Or maybe like Britain they add Chlorine to kill anything dodgy. Just a thought 🧐
lesbootman
I was *ALMOST* online for post number TEN MILLION!
I was *ALMOST* online for post number TEN MILLION!

Post by lesbootman »

I'm surprised you have overlooked the healthy exercise we Brits get wielding a pickaxe to take the foot tick layer of ice off our outside pools before jumping in for a short but bracing swim before the pool freezes over again. :lol:
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

lesbootman wrote: 10 May 2024 05:23
I'm surprised you have overlooked the healthy exercise we Brits get wielding a pickaxe to take the foot tick layer of ice off our outside pools before jumping in for a short but bracing swim before the pool freezes over again. :lol:

I thought that's where the warm beer evolved from? Surely it must have SOME use? :lol:
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Global Admin wrote: 10 May 2024 12:11
lesbootman wrote: 10 May 2024 05:23

I thought that's where the warm beer evolved from? Surely it must have SOME use? :lol:

No, it's just the weird sports the Brits get up to - here's Blanderson 'wielding the willow' for the next Ashes:
2024-05-10 14_39_43-The Manliest of Sports - Naked Ice Axe Fishing.jpg
Finchley Chris

Post by Finchley Chris »

It has been announced that Anderson's last international cricket match will be the first test between England and the West Indies in July this year...
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Finchley Chris wrote: 22 May 2024 01:10 It has been announced that Anderson's last international cricket match will be the first test between England and the West Indies in July this year...
Sad Stokes will be obliged to slip the Windies no.11 a fiver to throw his wicket when he arrives at the crease.

Just so Blanderson avoids the embarrassment of not taking one in his last test.

At least RM would have something to commemorate …

Rigs

Post by Rigs »

T20 World Cup update:

So Scotland batters impress against the cream of English bowling, being 0/90 after 10 overs before rain washed out the game.

England let off the hook?

Perhaps they can cause an upset June 9.

No doubt the RM stamp committee will be watching intently.

Rigs

Post by Rigs »

So, some fireworks at Dallas with the USA BEATING cricket powerhouse Pakistan in a super over!

It is doubtful such an upset is even noticed in the USA.

Looking at the Group B table let’s hope England can do better than Namibia on the ladder :lol:

The lads play Australia tomorrow, who themselves played a tardy first game, with Maxwell out for a golden duck, but taking a win.
IMG_1198.jpeg
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

With major upsets unfolding in the Caribbean, Afghanistan thrashing New Zealand, who knows what will happen in a few hours at Barbados!

A special penpal from the UK messaged me earlier that he has instructed Royal Mail to hold the presses just in case …
IMG_1200.jpeg
norvic

Post by norvic »

Results and discussion of the Men's T20 World Cup is on the Long Room thread here

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=11633001#p11633001
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

With World Cup minnows England facing their nemesis Oman on Friday, they are red hot favourites to finish last on the Group B table, having been comprehensively beaten by Australia over the weekend and conceding a draw to Scotland in their first match.

(Re the Scotland match at least they have a point, courtesy of the weather).

Hence in anticipation I took the time to prepare a possible design for RM's consideration, noting the overprint to save money on a previous RM design.

Sadly, it appears the Bazball experiment continues to be an abject failure ...
England T20.jpg
Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

What will the sheet margins say ?
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, lighthouses, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Ubobo.R.O. wrote: 11 Jun 2024 14:43 What will the sheet margins say ?
Possibly something to the effect:

RIP Bazball. Printed at short notice at His Majesty's request. Royal Mail would like to thank Paul Arrighi for the FREE design concept.

But I am no technical wordsmith :D
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Let's not get too defeatist. England MIGHT defeat Oman?

And there is also Afghanistan, PNG, and Nepal and Uganda etc in this 4th tier distraction - they might well beat one of those? :lol:
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Global Admin wrote: 11 Jun 2024 19:11
Let's not get too defeatist. England MIGHT defeat Oman 8-) ?

And there is also Afghanistan, PNG, and Nepal and Uganda etc in this 4th tier distraction - they might well beat one of those? :lol:

Oh yes - absolutely let’s give England a fighting chance!

It’s just I was preparing for the inevitable … trying to inspire the RM stamp committee.

And we all know His Majesty’s keen interest in wacky woodcut designs - he’d love a wooden spoon to work with.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Regarding the subject of the thread

I think it is clear, now that we are half-way through 2024, that this has run its course.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

The Castlecrag High School Under 18 Cricket team has a quiet month in August I was told today.

If the ECB can stump up the airfares, they are happy to play a few one dayers, if PNG and Oman and Nepal whup them.
norvic

Post by norvic »

Global Admin wrote: 11 Jun 2024 22:08 The Castlecrag High School Under 18 Cricket team has a quiet month in August I was told today.

If the ECB can stump up the airfares, they are happy to play a few one dayers, if PNG and Oman and Nepal whup them.
Still nothing to do with the 2023 Ashes series or Royal Mail.
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

norvic wrote: 11 Jun 2024 21:39 Regarding the subject of the thread

I think it is clear, now that we are half-way through 2024, that this has run its course.
It's a very good point that you have highlighted.

To help address the issue I have created yet a further design concept in this latest series for RM's consideration.

Sort of a perpetual stamp, one that saves on production costs and is easily updated every two years by the simple addition of an overprint:
RM perpetual Ashes issue
RM perpetual Ashes issue
Now isn't that an awesome idea, now the thread can run for many years (or decades) until England regains the urn!

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”