Australia £2 King supposed 'cover' reaches $34,742 at Abacus Auction

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Re: Australia £2 King cover reaches $34,742 at Abacus Auction

Post by The Pom »

There is also the factor that quite a lot of high value usage was on parcels/packets, which are difficult to collect from a practical perspective - how are you going to store/mount/display them?
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

The Pom wrote: 07 Oct 2021 18:30
.... how are you going to store/mount/display them?
Not easily. :)

Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Lambinator
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Lambinator »

MJ's pet wrote: 05 Mar 2020 14:20£7/13/0d Pre-Decimal Navigator franked parcel, 1966 Sydney to London

Lot 153 Starting Price: $5,000 Estimate: $6,000
Interesting that £7/13/0d works out at 153 shillings (7 x 20 + 13) and the lot number happens to be 153.
MJ's pet
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by MJ's pet »

Thanks! :D Had not noticed that. Maybe it was a spooky coincidence, or maybe it was deliberate. :ugeek:
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Might have been good Feng Shui. :)
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

This is the sort of use the £2 King block was likely paying -

Sold for 3400.00 € (excluding fees) in Auktionshaus Gärtner's February 2021 auction:

1934 £2 black & rose, 13 examples (two vert. stripes of four, one strip of three and two singles), Wmk "C of A", used along with £1 grey on Bulk Postage Docket of Postmaster-General's Department Adelaide for 3240 letters of total postage of £27, all tied by m/s and with punch holes, and with "ADELAIDE S.TH AUSTRALIA/7/30 JA 40" c.d.s. The docket form with a tear at top and creased, one £2 with a corner defect but fine else.

13 of the £2 Kangaroo stamps. A record franking perhaps? (a pity the docket has a huge tear and is creased).
Didge
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Re: Australia £2 King supposed 'cover' reaches $34,742 at Abacus Auction

Post by Didge »

Folks,

There were some very strong Navigator sales at the recent Abacus sale? A 7/6d Cook on cover sold for $3600, an ugly 75c Cook on cover sold for $725, a solo 75c Cook on cover sold for $500. Lot 503 was the most amazing sale in my opinion. It was a 40c Dampier solo paying the 25c messenger delivery and 10c priority paid fees plus the 5c letter rate. It sold for $2000. Wow.

Tim
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Can we add SCANS please Tim .. and are these quoted 'sold' figure before or after the 20% add-ons? They 'sell' for the invoice price, never the hammer price! (Unless they waive the 20% just for you!)
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Sadly, not a block of £2 Navs, but cool all the same, that I just listed up. :)

1.jpg

Australia 1966 Navigator $1 Matthew Flinders block 20 on OHMS parcel piece - Quite a survivor! Off an airmail registered parcel – certainly to overseas by the huge franking and AIRMAIL etiquette. Neat cds ‘G.P.O. SYDNEY - 7 SEP : 70 - NSW’ and an Interpanneau gutter block adds to the visual appeal. Remember back in 1970, the domestic postage rate was just 6c – yes you read the right - check your catalogues!

So this $20 bought you 333 letter rate stamps. Converting that into today’s money with our $1.50 domestic letter rate, that is a $500 type parcel in today's money. Not impossible, even today, on a very heavy parcel – a 20 kilo parcel or somewhere like Mexico is $A495, BEFORE any Registered, and insurance fees, are added. Anyway, a rare survivor. A trifle aged after 54 years, but flat and attractive, and certainly UNIQUE, I’d guarantee. ‘SHOW ME ANOTHER’! Under $US99 at $A150 - Stock 487JR
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

1.jpg

Australia 1966 Navigator $1 Matthew Flinders block 20 on OHMS parcel piece - Quite a survivor! Off an airmail registered parcel – certainly to overseas by the huge franking and AIRMAIL etiquette. Neat cds ‘G.P.O. SYDNEY - 7 SEP : 70 - NSW’ and an Interpanneau gutter block adds to the visual appeal. Remember back in 1970, the domestic postage rate was just 6c – yes you read the right - check your catalogues!

So this $20 bought you 333 letter rate stamps. Converting that into today’s money with our $1.50 domestic letter rate, that is a $500 type parcel in today's money. Not impossible, even today, on a very heavy parcel – a 20 kilo parcel or somewhere like Mexico is $A495, BEFORE any Registered, and insurance fees, are added. Anyway, a rare survivor. A trifle aged after 54 years, but flat and attractive, and certainly UNIQUE, I’d guarantee. ‘SHOW ME ANOTHER’! Under $US99 at $A150 - Stock 487JR
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

1.jpg

So this $20 bought you 333 letter rate stamps. Converting that into today’s money with our $1.50 domestic letter rate, that is a $500 type parcel in today's relativity. Not impossible, even today, on a very heavy parcel – a 20 kilo parcel or somewhere like Mexico is $A495, BEFORE any Registered, and insurance fees, are added. Anyway, a rare survivor. A trifle aged after 54 years, but flat and attractive, and certainly UNIQUE, I’d guarantee. ‘SHOW ME ANOTHER’! Under $US99 at $A150 - Stock 487JR
dwhopper
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by dwhopper »

Sold to Hopper
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

David,

Sorry listed it up a few hours back, and it sold in 15 minutes to someone else, and someone else asked 10 mins later and then you - I think I underguessed the price. :lol:

Glen

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”