Banging the drum for the Uglies - Indian States stamps

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

mukulgarga
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: Banging the drum for the Uglies

Post by mukulgarga »

Just received it from ebay. Seller had described it as SG 26. looked quite genuine to me. But the paper is vertically laid whereas SG26 is on native paper. Any views?

You can't have them all

tonymacg
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by tonymacg »

I think it might be SG 26 alright. The native paper often has the appearance of laid paper, from the way it was made. The European laid paper is whiter and cleaner. However, Séfi & Mortimer recorded a ½ Anna reprint in oil colour on native paper in vermilion, and your copy looks to be getting dangerously close to 'vermilion'.

This is one of my copies of SG 26:

de Selby lives, and will return

mukulgarga

Post by mukulgarga »

tonymacg wrote:I think it might be SG 26 alright. The native paper often has the appearance of laid paper, from the way it was made. The European laid paper is whiter and cleaner. However, Séfi & Mortimer recorded a ½ Anna reprint in oil colour on native paper in vermilion, and your copy looks to be getting dangerously close to 'vermilion'.

This is one of my copies of SG 26:

I think it is RED alright. The scanner is playing the trick. The color of the stamp is much darker than it is showing in the scans. I am using my old HP 3055 All-in-one. Tony can you suggest a good scanner for the purpose?
You can't have them all

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

There's at least one thread on scanners somewhere, which will probably give good advice.

I started 15 years ago with a huge old HP scanner. It died after about 5 years, and I bought the Canon LIDE 20 I have now. It just keeps on going, and I use it pretty heavily, for work and for my stamps. The 20 has probably been long superseded, but from my own experience, I'd certainly recommend a Canon. They seem to be pretty reliable, and well-nigh indestructible. (My Canon laser printer is much older still, and still doing the job.)

mukulgarga

Post by mukulgarga »

For the comparisons sake I scanned my the new stamp with one I already had in my collection (right stamp) which I suppose is Genuine and there is some color difference between the two. But all said both the stamps are showing up as having a lighter and brighter tint than they actually are as seen with the naked eyes.

You can't have them all

mukulgarga

Post by mukulgarga »

An excerpt from Collecting Kashmir is enlightening

""A ½a vermilion-red oilcolor on native paper. Eames reports that the first red oilcolors date from June 1877 and these appear in a “somewhat brighter vermilion-red shade.” They are seen postally used in all three denominations of the circulars, and in the Jammu plate as well. Séfi & Mortimer reports a reprint in vermilion and we are not sure whether the example shown be an example of that or actually passes muster as an original.
Reds. Starting in late summer 1877 a range of deeper shades in different demeanors show up, some showing up in all three denominations. Not all are known in postally-used condition.

The ½a orange-vermilion oilcolor on native paper. It has counterparts in the Jammu rectangulars and shares features seen in the Kashmir rectangulars, such as the mottled darkening.

A ½a orange-red oilcolor circular on native paper. This it is mentioned by Eames as existing in unused condition only. Such printings are similar in appearance to watercolor impressions in this shade, and testing with water is required. Again there is a counterpart in the Jammu plate.""

and I thought that Gibbons is comprehensive :( .
The only color it mentions in 1/2 annas 1877 issues is RED :( .
You can't have them all

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

Gibbons is certainly good - as far it goes. But as you see on the Collecting Kashmir site, there's a great deal more to these stamps. Of course, I'd rather have a stamp that was listed in Gibbons than one that wasn't :D

Then there's that vexed area of the experimental printings at the end of the life of the Circulars. What saw actual postal use, and what didn't? For my part, I wonder if we're being too exacting in our definitions here. Would the Jammu printers really have thought to themselves 'This is an experimental printing which we will put on sale for postal use. That is an experimental printing which we won't put on sale for postal use.'?

Surely, everything struck from one of the stamp dies would have been 'a postage stamp' as far as the printers were concerned. We collectors might distinguish between printings for which actual postal use has been verified, and those for which it hasn't, but I doubt that the printers did. My own inclination would be to allow in all genuine impressions from the dies, as long as they could be shown to have been made in the right period.

domburd
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by domburd »

I have a handful of these documents all with a neat Khetri Post Office handstamp. Can anyone enlighten me as to what capacity the Khetri Post Office functioned under? Was there a legitimate postal system in place there? Or was it a purely fiscal and governmental exercise? Or is it all bogus?

Just when I'm getting used to the voices in my head, one of them starts stuttering!

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

Micky wrote:Hi all, I seen this online and like to know if it is one of the real or fake uglies and worth the $13. And another thing, where on earth does it come from, it looks like something I made when I was in kindergarten.

Michael
Sorry to have to come back to you with bad news on this one, but an expert on Poonch has pointed out that this is an early forgery. Just goes to show that identifying Poonch on screen rather than in the flesh is a dangerous game.

birder
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by birder »

domburd wrote:I have a handful of these documents all with a neat Khetri Post Office handstamp. Can anyone enlighten me as to what capacity the Khetri Post Office functioned under? Was there a legitimate postal system in place there? Or was it a purely fiscal and governmental exercise? Or is it all bogus?

There is a nice book by O P Bhatnagar :

Local Postal Service of Thikana Khetri (Jaipur State) and Its Fiscals
by O P Bhatnagar, 1988

You might find it useful.
I am not afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Woody Allen

birder

Post by birder »

Woody Allen

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

In the review of the book in India Post (Vol. 100 p.70), the reviewer said

"The author has made good use of access
to the Jaipur archives in order to prove beyond peradventure that there
was a local postal service available to the public in Thikana Khetri. It
began much earlier than 1928 and continued until 1948. The Thikana
residents were able to send an ordinary letter for 1 pice (3 pies)
or a registered letter for 2 pice. Also, in 1928, the Thikana Post
Office was charging 1 pie for the delivery of a summons from the Thikana
Court.
One must suppose that the Jaipur State Authorities were well
aware of the annual Khetri Reports (as for 1930-1931, when there were
'Seven post offices maintained by the Thikana1), and that they said
'tut tut' from time to time but allowed the Thikana to break the rules."

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

Talking of Jaipur ... I've just got around to putting away some Jaipur Type O1 SERVICE overprints on the ½ Anna I won at the last ISC States auction.

I noticed something rather curious, which doesn't seem to have been recorded in Gibbons or India Post, although I have a vague recollection of seeing or hearing of it somewhere: there are at least two types of the seriffed SERVICE overprint:

Here are the two types separately; the large and the samll black and red:

(The two black overprints were from my own collection. The (small) red overprint was in the auction lot: it was the stamp that first aroused my curiosity.)

I need some rather less blunt instrument to measure the sizes of the overprints than the 40 mm scale along the top of my Instanta, but the small version is quite noticeably smaller.

The two types occur consistently across the red and black overprints, with the small version being much less common. As the fonts seem to be identical, except for the size, I wonder if the small version might have occurred together with the large in the sheet, and have been overlooked or disregarded.

Does anyone else have any comments on this? Are the two sizes of overprint listed in any other catalogues? (Harry Burgess doesn't mention them in his pioneering INS Catalogue.)

mukulgarga

Post by mukulgarga »

so many Indian state lots for auction by melbournestamps today on ebay!!
Many lots I looked at, I felt, had Reprints and fakes in spite of them having being described as belonging to a experienced collector. Any comments??
You can't have them all

domburd

Post by domburd »

Thanks Birder. I'll check out the ISC library. No doubt they'll have a copy.
Just when I'm getting used to the voices in my head, one of them starts stuttering!

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

mukulgarga wrote:so many Indian state lots for auction by melbournestamps today on ebay!!
Many lots I looked at, I felt, had Reprints and fakes in spite of them having being described as belonging to a experienced collector. Any comments??
Even experienced collectors can make mistakes when they step outside their comfort zones :D

I had some, what I considered realistic, bids in on several of those lots. Didn't win a thing. I just hope that the winning bidders did make allowances for the reprints and forgeries. In other cases, such as this Jaipur lot

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340. ... 0716072195

which went for $US93 on 24 bids from seven bidders, I can only suppose at least two people have been sitting out in the Northern Hemisphere sun, without their hats on, for a bit too long :D

mukulgarga

Post by mukulgarga »

tonymacg wrote:
mukulgarga wrote:so many Indian state lots for auction by melbournestamps today on ebay!!
Even experienced collectors can make mistakes when they step outside their comfort zones :D

I had some, what I considered realistic, bids in on several of those lots. Didn't win a thing. I just hope that the winning bidders did make allowances for the reprints and forgeries. In other cases, such as this Jaipur lot

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340. ... 0716072195

which went for $US93 on 24 bids from seven bidders, I can only suppose at least two people have been sitting out in the Northern Hemisphere sun, without their hats on, for a bit too long :D
winning bidder has feedback score of 1137 and specializes in India and same with the second best bidder who has a feedback score of 504. $93 for CV of 24 GBP. What do you think is going on? Shill Bidding??
You can't have them all

jadrake

Post by jadrake »

All I know is I have tried to sell a few items on ebay over the past month and typically selling them at 35% of CV (Indian states) and they are not going. I then have to relist at a lower rate and I have been lucky. Nothing to get you excited about... some Bijawar and Bamra mostly.... Still, if I have quality singles that are going for 30% (approximately) how are these louts getting 400% of CV for a few blocks?

Maybe I have to try my luck with my old Hyderabad and Cochin used selection... maybe the toning on Cochin will get them excited!

-Jason
Bringing you these great Stamp Software tools
Stamp Image Bursting Application | Stamp Album Page Generator
Collector of Early Mint British Commonwealth, Germany, Iceland, Japan

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

In both cases, I think it's a matter of offering quality material from popular States. I've been rude enough often enough about Bijawar not to need to repeat it here ... :D ... but Jaipur has always been popular, and run-of-the-mill Bamra aren't too hard to find. If I were to put this

up for sale (and I have no intention of doing so, currently), I'd expect a healthy percentage of catalogue.

One more possible factor, and I've been too lazy to follow it through, is that listings on eBay UK seem to do particularly well. Once upon a time, there were many more collectors of the Uglies there than anywhere else, and there may still be more there. I hesitate to accuse UK collectors of being insular, but ...

And no: I don't suspect shill bidding generally. There might be the odd, isolated case of it, though.

mukulgarga

Post by mukulgarga »

Stamps on this cover belong to the period 1904-20 whereas the cover bears the cancellation dated April 00 if I am right. Am I wrong?

Last edited by mukulgarga on 27 Aug 2012 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
You can't have them all

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

A very common misunderstanding. The date in the CDSs is in the Malayalam calendar, 28 VRI(schikam) 1100, which is equivalent to 13 December 1924. So they're all quite OK - in that regard, at least :D

mukulgarga

Post by mukulgarga »

tonymacg wrote:So they're all quite OK - in that regard, at least :D
I know what you mean :D
I am myself thinking of producing at least one cover from my collection of Cochin with a little help from you on the cancellation front :lol:
You can't have them all

Namaste
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by Namaste »

Have been idly wondering how one goes about finding postally used Dhar stamps, then along comes this on ebay:

(Image is a screenshot, so quality is a bit low)

With the help of Tonymacg's illustrated Dhar thread it looks to be a postally used 2 anna (SG6), stamp 10 in the set of 10 - the stamp with the ornamental frame error in the top left corner. I can just about see 'DHAR' on the cancel but nothing else. Any thoughts on this? It doesn't seem to share all the features of the image posted in the illustrated Dhar thread - some of the lettering is a different shape. But I don't know if that's relevant.

birder

Post by birder »

Both stamp and cancel need to be seen carefully...
Woody Allen

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

Namaste wrote:Have been idly wondering how one goes about finding postally used Dhar stamps, then along comes this on ebay:

With the help of Tonymacg's illustrated Dhar thread it looks to be a postally used 2 anna (SG6), stamp 10 in the set of 10 - the stamp with the ornamental frame error in the top left corner. I can just about see 'DHAR' on the cancel but nothing else. Any thoughts on this? It doesn't seem to share all the features of the image posted in the illustrated Dhar thread - some of the lettering is a different shape. But I don't know if that's relevant.
This isn't the misplaced ornament error. This is SG 6e

Here is the sheet of the Dhar 2 Anna, SG 6:

There was only the one setting, so the eBay stamp should match one of the other nine types. After comparing the eBay stamp with the genuine sheet, the nearest I could find was position 6 on the sheet (Row 2/1):

However, there are important differences. Note in particular the shape of the Nagari D in DARBAR in the top line of the inscription. It's quite different. There should also be a kink in the right vertical frame line, near the final full stop, but it appears to be missing.

I'd have to conclude that the eBay stamp is a clever fake.

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

Incidentally, finding commercial Dhar cancellations will be a real challenge. From what little I have, it appears the Dhar postal officials were under instructions to apply socked-on-the-nose cancellations - which look just like the CTOs.

There seem to be only two ways to be sure that a CDS is commercial. Either find a village cancellation (i.e. from outside Dhar Town), or find a stamp on piece or cover.

My Dhar party piece is this cover from Dharampuri

with the famous 2 Anna (though not the misplaced ornament. That would be a bit too much of a good thing!)

I also have these examples from Dharampuri again

and from Kanawan

as well as this postal stationery cover, once again, with a Dharampuri CDS

As the Dhar PO only operated for around four years, finding properly used is a bit of a challenge :D

mukulgarga

Post by mukulgarga »

Namaste wrote:Have been idly wondering how one goes about finding postally used Dhar stamps, then along comes this on ebay:

apart from what Tony has pointed out, the D in Dhar does not have loop at the Top Known as "Ghundi" in hindi.
You can't have them all

Namaste

Post by Namaste »

Awesome replies, thanks a lot! Nice to see a real beautiful cover there Tonymacg. I'll need some luck to find something like that.

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

Luck, patience and, sad to say but, these days, very deep pockets :(

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

Just arrived:

Philatelic of course (unless it contained about half a house brick :lol: ), but how often do you see SG 13 on cover? (There's nothing on the back.)

mukulgarga

Post by mukulgarga »

tonymacg wrote:Just arrived:

Philatelic of course (unless it contained about half a house brick :lol: ), but how often do you see SG 13 on cover? (There's nothing on the back.)
Do these philatelic covers posses any value ?
You can't have them all

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

Impossible to say, really. The only certainty is that they're only worth a fraction of a proper commercial usage.

However, how many commercial usages of SG 13 have you seen - still on cover?

mukulgarga

Post by mukulgarga »

Recently bought from ebay. Hope its a genuine cancel :?

You can't have them all

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

Both the cancellation and the stamp look quite OK to me. I have these

and this less-than-successful version of your black cancellation

when some idiot watered down the ink :D

However, there is serious doubt whether these stamps were ever legitimately issued. It appears that the Bhor State Post Office may have closed around 1895 - six years before SG 3 appeared.

mukulgarga

Post by mukulgarga »

Philatelic Cover I think.

You can't have them all

birder

Post by birder »

No delivery stamp on the other side ???... Definitely philatelic in that case.

mukulgarga wrote:Philatelic Cover I think.

Woody Allen

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

Very definitely philatelic. Hyderabad Service mail could be delivered anywhere in India, and posted anywhere in India for delivery in Hyderabad, but even Service mail couldn't be sent to the USA :D

This one, to Pondicherry in French India,

is the nearest we can get to 'international' usage - and it was passed through the British Indian PO in Pondicherry.

indianchariots
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by indianchariots »

tonymacg wrote:Impossible to say, really. The only certainty is that they're only worth a fraction of a proper commercial usage.

However, how many commercial usages of SG 13 have you seen - still on cover?
Dear Tony. Please accept my sincere greetings. Before I say anything let me just say that I have been a long time reader of your comments. Tried several times joining the board but some strange reasons my account never used to get activated. Admin has finally done it for me. Im on cloud 9 :D

Have been collecting Jaipur state for about a year. And I must say these so called Uglies have totally bowled me over. They r like an ocean of knowledge. The deeper you go, the sweeter it gets.

Coming to the discussion :) , yes its indeed rare to see commercial usage of Jaipur SG13. Have no idea of where this is going on earth. Good Lord will ve to come down himself to decipher this for me I guess.. :lol:

ImageImage
“Be like a postage stamp. Stick to one thing until you get there.”

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

Welcome to this thread, Indianchariots!

That really is a very nice cover indeed, and quite a rarity. Commercial covers with values up to the 2 Anna are relatively common, but higher values are another matter. I have one, solitary, commercial cover with an 8 Anna, and that's all. It's hard to imagine how the 1 Rupee value could ever have been needed on a letter, but if such a cover came onto the market ... Used copies of the 1 Rupee aren't hard to find, but just about all of them must have been rescued from parcels.

I can't make out the originating post office in the cancellation, and the Registration cachet seems to be just the usual type inscribed simply JAIPUR. I won't even attempt to read the address. It's well beyond my abilities with Persian :D

If you aren't already a member, I would strongly recommend joining the India Study Circle (http://www.indiastudycircle.org/index.html). There are quite a few members interested in Jaipur, and the ISC journal, India Post, has carried many articles about different aspects of Jaipur philately. For instance, recently there was one on new discoveries in the SG 1-2 area.

indianchariots

Post by indianchariots »

tonymacg wrote:Welcome to this thread, Indianchariots!

That really is a very nice cover indeed, and quite a rarity. Commercial covers with values up to the 2 Anna are relatively common, but higher values are another matter. I have one, solitary, commercial cover with an 8 Anna, and that's all. It's hard to imagine how the 1 Rupee value could ever have been needed on a letter, but if such a cover came onto the market ... Used copies of the 1 Rupee aren't hard to find, but just about all of them must have been rescued from parcels.

I can't make out the originating post office in the cancellation, and the Registration cachet seems to be just the usual type inscribed simply JAIPUR. I won't even attempt to read the address. It's well beyond my abilities with Persian :D

If you aren't already a member, I would strongly recommend joining the India Study Circle (https://www.indiastudycircle.org/index.html). There are quite a few members interested in Jaipur, and the ISC journal, India Post, has carried many articles about different aspects of Jaipur philately. For instance, recently there was one on new discoveries in the SG 1-2 area.
Dear Tony. Have been thinking of joining India Study Circle since long. ISC is regarded as the pinnacle of research in Philately. I would love to be a part of it. As my intention behind taking up Princely States against Post Independence was never just collecting them but rather to learn about that glorious time that India has seen.

I have to admit here that, there is some very strange & distinct charm that these stamps have which is missing in post independence stamps. This is why they say that stamps are like windows to the heritage of a country.

After picking up Jaipur Princely state into my collection I came to realize that I have not picked up a theme but rather an endless thirst for knowledge. Was so eager to know about Jaipur's history that I went ahead and bought these 2 wonderful books:

Although not directly related to stamps but they do give you an incredible insight into those early years of Sawai Man Singh's Jaipur.

Excited to see the 8anna on cover Tony. Please do share it with all of us if u find time. Frankly speaking, I have never heard of a cover rated 8 annas.

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

That looks like a very interesting book. As I recall, Man Singh had a distinguished parliamentary career after the abolition of the old States - unlike many of the other former rulers.

Here is the 8 Anna on cover, with a 2 Anna:

and my proudest possession from Jaipur:

SG 25ab: the imperf between vertical pair, at the end of the strip of ½ Annas

indianchariots

Post by indianchariots »

tonymacg wrote:That looks like a very interesting book. As I recall, Man Singh had a distinguished parliamentary career after the abolition of the old States - unlike many of the other former rulers.

Here is the 8 Anna on cover, with a 2 Anna:

and my proudest possession from Jaipur:

SG 25ab: the imperf between vertical pair, at the end of the strip of ½ Annas
Both of them are absolutely unique indeed. When Registered letter rate was 3 and a half anna's, a cover rated 10 anna's is like 3 times the basic rgtd rate :shock: . The only reasons which seems reasonable to paste 10 anna's worth stamp :idea: might be an overweight envelope. But the size of the envelope seems contradicting this assumption.

And an Imperf SG25ab is rare as a stamp itself. Used examples on commercial covers are worth being classified as d most valued possession of any collection. Envy you for that tony :!:

And please do share the recent discovery on SG 1 & SG2. They have been like the Flagship stamps of brand Jaipur. While I still dont have SG1 in my collection, possessing an SG2 will be like a dream forever. I wish d Lord comes down an grants me an open wish...U know what am I gonna ask him for... :D

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

The India Post article was quite long: it dealt with a further printing stone, not listed in Gibbons, which seems to be quite rare. The article is much too long and technical to reproduce here, and it includes a number of scans of stamps from the 'new' stone.

I have only a couple from the SG 1-2 group, and I have to admit that I'm not 100% sure that I have them correctly identified, but here they are:

SG 1

SG 1a

SG 2a

As you can see, my SG 1s are not in perfect condition :D , but, well, I can cross those numbers off the list, until I find better copies.

That 10 Annas cover is a very large one, as you can see from the relative size of the stamps on it. I think it must have been a very bulky item.

mukulgarga

Post by mukulgarga »

My first SG45 in the company of a mysterious friend :)

You can't have them all

jadrake

Post by jadrake »

My newest acquisition is this gorgeous SG 24 from Bamra:

It is from setting IB R3/3 with a 6.5mm ornament and is an ex-Dawson example. Currently the jewel of my Bamra collection (although I do have a few varieties with "Quatrer" and backwards "e")

ikanek
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by ikanek »

jadrake wrote:My newest acquisition is this gorgeous SG 24 from Bamra:

It is from setting IB R3/3 with a 6.5mm ornament and is an ex-Dawson example. Currently the jewel of my Bamra collection (although I do have a few varieties with "Quatrer" and backwards "e")
What a nice and luxurious example. :D

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

mukulgarga wrote:My first SG45 in the company of a mysterious friend :)

A very nice example of the slate-blue, but what a shame some old-time collector decided to cut the extra paper off! Perhaps the stamp was a bit off-centre originally, but that's no excuse for giving it such a drastic haircut.

Its friend ... well, the less said the better about these fakes. They could very easily deceive collectors who weren't familiar with the Circulars.

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

jadrake wrote:My newest acquisition is this gorgeous SG 24 from Bamra:

Jason, you're way ahead of me there. A superb example, and even better that it's from a famous Name collection.

I only have the 1 Rupee on the cheap bright rose paper:

I have a spare: would you like to swap? :lol:

jadrake

Post by jadrake »

No swapping for me thanks! The funny thing is, it looks a lot better in person than scanned.... so I'll bask in its glory for a while yet. I have some Gwailor O1s for you though!

I have a beautiful Aden 10r Dhow arriving next week... not ugly, but at one term served by Indian postal authorities....

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

Gwalior SG O1s? Thanks, but no thanks. I have a couple of thousand used copies I'd be glad to unload, myself :lol:

GJ50 will heartily applaud your Aden buy, and even I have to admit it's a very nice-looking stamp if you like that sort of thing.

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”