Canada Post to phase out urban home mail delivery

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

stampchris
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: Canada Post to phase out urban home mail delivery

Post by stampchris »

aethelwulf wrote:
brcStamps wrote:
aethelwulf wrote: There would be no way for the sorting office to differentiate between stamps bought at $0.85 and stamps bought at $1.
It could be the reverse - the stamps will have a face value of $1, but if you buy booklets or rolls, you will be charged 85c each for the $1 stamps.
It would be interesting to see a post office that sells stamps for below face value. :shock: Thought only stamp dealers do that with old scrap mint for postage.
I can only assume that Canada Post will follow the Belgian model. Since P-stamps have no value indicated it can be sold at any price. So a customer comes in and buys one stamp and is charged $1, but buys a booklet and is charged $8.50.

But this raises some questions:
* If someone uses a 63c stamp after the rate rise, do they had 22c or 37c extra postage?
* Will P-stamps be valid for overseas postage, and if so at what rate?
* If a stamp issue consists of one or two designs, will collectors have to pay $1 for each stamp?
Chris de Haer - Author of 'A Closer Look at Modern Australian Stamps' in Stamp News Australia.Online Shop Latest news on my blog

librarianc
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by librarianc »

stampchris wrote: But this raises some questions:
* If someone uses a 63c stamp after the rate rise, do they had 22c or 37c extra postage?
-- If they are using an older P stamp, I doubt it. As pointed out earlier, when the P stamps come back on the market, they can all just be at the current value and any older P stamps will most likely be accepted at the new rate. By withdrawing them last week, CanPost will assume they got most of them off the market in time. If they are using a numerically valued stamp then the $1.00 rate would most likely apply. $1.00 will be the postage cost for a letter and bulk purchase will reduce your cost.
--No, P stamps have never been for non-domestic rate. Those stamps will be with current US rate and Overseas rate value when new ones are printed.
* If a stamp issue consists of one or two designs, will collectors have to pay $1 for each stamp?
--I would guess that every stamp for domestic use will be $1.00 with a bulk discount applied if purchasing a complete booklet or coil roll.

John A
Armstrong'sStamps**http://www.armstrongsstamps.ca
Canada Errors, Freaks and Oddities (EFO) - Knowledge is Key.....Libraries work!

aethelwulf
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by aethelwulf »

The Pom wrote:What's the typical home > box > home distance for these community mail boxes?
Good question. Most of the boxes up to this point have only been installed in new housing developments (where the developers could set aside space for/plan around the boxes). Those neighbourhoods tend to have fairly generous-sized lots. Remembering the boxes installed in new bits of my hometown, it wasn't too bad to get to the box, max. 5 minutes walk.

Older neighbourhoods, on the one hand the lots might be smaller in some cases. But at the same time, houses are packed close together, the front yard is small--nowhere to put a row of boxes. They might have to go in a park or along the boulevard of a main street, which might put them a bit further away.

There are/will be probably guidelines for placement..."maximum 10 minutes walk from any house" for example...but how do you measure walking distance...10 minutes for a healthy middle-age male, 10 minutes for a senior with a cane?

Also interesting is the people who comment on CBC stories about this change, who say "the 1/3 of people who get to-the-house delivery should stop complaining and learn to live with group box delivery like the rest of us"...well, of the 2/3 who don't get "home" delivery, quite a large proportion of them will be apartment-dwellers, who have a bank of mailboxes PO Box-style in the lobby, which they pass through every day anyhow. Canada Post treats those as "group mailbox" not "to the door", just because the postie isn't walking every floor of the apartment building dropping mail through slots in each flat's front door (my last place in Toronto did have such a through-the-apartment-door service).
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

librarianc wrote:
--No, P stamps have never been for non-domestic rate. Those stamps will be with current US rate and Overseas rate value when new ones are printed.
Since I "don't use Canada Post anymore", I never enquired about this...but are you saying "P" stamps can't be put on mail to the USA/overseas, with additional stamps added to bring the total to the required amount?

Here in HK, they issue stamps inscribed "Local Mail" and "Air Mail"...the stamps are considered to have a face value equal to the local letter rate, and the lowest-step air rate...but local stamps can be used on international mail (I did have 1 clerk insist otherwise)...in Singapore, by contrast, the stamps for local letters are inscribed "For Local Mail Only"...the last word in the inscription is lacking on HK's non-denominated stamps, leaving a grey area where you can argue "there's nothing printed on the stamp saying I can't use it on non-domestic mail".

librarianc

Post by librarianc »

I was incorrect in that:
Self-adhesive PERMANENT stamps are available in booklets as well as in coils of 100 stamps. One stamp can be used to mail a letter anywhere in Canada that weighs up to 30 grams or more postage can be added to mail larger letters, parcels or to send mail internationally.
---from Canada Post web site - http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/productsservices/atoz/permanentstamp.jsf

mikeg
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by mikeg »

I had assumed that the pic John posted was in front of one of those 'Concentration Camp' style apartment complexes you find in Toronto where no postie would enter (just their mayor) :lol: :shock:

One issue is that it appears to be up to the city to place recycle boxes & trash cans around them,not Canada Post, so some do & some don't.

Some I have seen around here are actually well put together- the boxes are in a fenced in area with shrubs around them, and there are both recycle bins and trash cans, but it is the local city that maintains the area.

librarianc

Post by librarianc »

mikeg wrote:One issue is that it appears to be up to the city to place recycle boxes & trash cans around them,not Canada Post, so some do & some don't.
Some I have seen around here are actually well put together- the boxes are in a fenced in area with shrubs around them, and there are both recycle bins and trash cans, but it is the local city that maintains the area.
I have not seen any such recycle boxes in any of our superbox areas. As a matter of fact, the local post office removed all recycle boxes from the lobby. They said (I couldn't help asking why) it was in deference to their admail customers, who spend good money getting all those flyers into your mailbox. :shock:

(Then one employee came clean and said it was because it was too heavy to slug the filled blue box out every couple of hours - that it wasn't their job (insert UNION job description here??) to dispose of our paper waste).

YES, I did start laughing and almost said what I was thinking (and what you are ready to type here), but the staff there have been so good to me I wasn't about to stir the pot.
John A

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

librarianc wrote:(Then one employee came clean and said it was because it was too heavy to slug the filled blue box out every couple of hours - that it wasn't their job (insert UNION job description here??) to dispose of our paper waste).

YES, I did start laughing and almost said what I was thinking (and what you are ready to type here), but the staff there have been so good to me I wasn't about to stir the pot.
John A
I gave the most evil chortle at that. :mrgreen: Indeed, talk about union mentality. Good thing you could hold your tongue, otherwise you might start receiving all your mail with liberally-applied black marker "cancellations".

AMark

Post by AMark »

aethelwulf wrote: Since I "don't use Canada Post anymore", I never enquired about this...but are you saying "P" stamps can't be put on mail to the USA/overseas, with additional stamps added to bring the total to the required amount?
"P" stamps can be used to mail a letter to the US or Internationally, as long as you add postage to have the correct rate.
It does pay if you are humble and kind.
Join the October 2020 Cover Exchange ..... OR .... Join the October 2020 Postcard Exchange

AMark

Post by AMark »

These are Canada Post's location guidelines for community mailboxes.

1.4 Community mailboxes are intended to serve customers in developments where
• lot and street layout of the subdivision are well established,
• roads are suitably maintained and passable year-round,
• municipal cooperation is obtained in the location and installation of community mailboxes.

1.5 Each CMB location is chosen by the delivery planner after consultation with the planner/developer and the local municipality.

1.6 Community mailboxes should be located a minimum of nine metres from intersection corners so as not to hamper driver visibility. Sites are not installed at major intersections.

1.7 Community mailboxes are usually not located adjacent to curb lanes that have no-stopping or no-parking zones.

1.8 The following site selection criteria must be considered when planning the location of a mini-park:
• at a natural entry point to a development,
• within a boulevard or at a convenient location within a development,
• near existing lighting fixtures (minimum recommended lighting level is 30 lux).

1.9 Where a community mailbox is to be located on privately held land, the
property owner must grant Canada Post a license to occupy the land. This license is available from your delivery planner.

Source: http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mr/assets/pdf/business/standardsmanual_en.pdf
Join the October 2020 Cover Exchange ..... OR .... Join the October 2020 Postcard Exchange

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Canada Post's secret tunnel faces end of the line

A secret tunnel built for transporting mail underneath downtown Vancouver looks set to be filled in, after lying largely abandoned for more than 40 years.

The tunnel was built in the late 1950s and runs from Vancouver's main post office, on West Georgia Street between Homer and Hamilton streets, to a former CPR train station that is now the location of the Waterfront SkyTrain station. The tunnel was outfitted with two conveyor belts to move mail from arriving trains to the main post office, and back again.

The tunnel is expected to be filled in next year, and the underground hideaway, once filled with bustling bike-riding engineers and hidden Halloween parties, will be nothing more than a memory.
Full article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/canada-post-s ... -1.2463624

norvic

Post by norvic »

I don't think it's mentioned in previous posts but according to Linn's Stamp News Canada Post reissued the Woodchucks Pups coil stamps, the Canada Pride and Queen Elizabeth II stamps (previously issued as Ps on 14 January) as 63c stamps on 11 December. They've been thinking about this for a while, then.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

norvic wrote:I don't think it's mentioned in previous posts but according to Linn's Stamp News Canada Post reissued the Woodchucks Pups coil stamps, the Canada Pride and Queen Elizabeth II stamps (previously issued as Ps on 14 January) as 63c stamps on 11 December. They've been thinking about this for a while, then.
Given that the Christmas stamps, and before that the NHL commems, were printed with 63ct face values, shows the planning must go back a fair amount of time, as print runs for commems are usually done well before FDI. (Although there was the year the Christmas stamps were printed with higher values in anticipation of a rate rise that didn't happen, and had to be re-done in the 'correct', lower values).

BarryM
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by BarryM »

I just saw something very interesting in Linn's Dec 30 edition:

"Canada Post representatives confirmed to Linn's that the permanent stamps have been taken off sale, adding that most will return to sale after March 31."

So collectors will still be able to buy the stamps they missed, but will have to buy them at the higher price.

AMark

Post by AMark »

BarryM wrote:I just saw something very interesting in Linn's Dec 30 edition:

"Canada Post representatives confirmed to Linn's that the permanent stamps have been taken off sale, adding that most will return to sale after March 31."

So collectors will still be able to buy the stamps they missed, but will have to buy them at the higher price.
Some of the PO workers that I spoke with have mentioned that they are to keep all the "P" stamps until further instructions, prior to April 1, 2014, from Canada Post. So, this statement from the Canada Post representative would make sense.

Berlin-Gus

Post by Berlin-Gus »

Never mind the "P" stamps, they will return. From a collector's point of view it will be the 63¢ definitive that was just issued and will be very short-lived that should be of interest. After January 15, 2014, a 63¢ stamp by itself will be useless. It happened once before if I recall correctly. The 36¢ QEII definitive was very short-lived and is hard to find used on cover by itself.
Gus

for Canadian postal history check out the PHSC website, http://www.postalhistorycanada.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

philcovex2

Post by philcovex2 »

Canada Post has announced that the 63 cent rate will remain in effect until March 30, 2014. They will not be implementing the allowed 64 cent rate in January.

I collect really modern postal history and I don't get the sense that anyone else cares anymore. A commercial use of the 63 cent definitives will be tough to find (given privacy considerations). Usages of the withdrawn P definitives from November 12 to March 30 will also be worth having.

AMark

Post by AMark »

Agree, collecting the 63¢ definitives used on covers makes for very interesting postal history.

Now, anyone interested in exchanging covers?

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

I was at Station K today and they had the reprinted definitive booklets with the 63c denomination.

I also managed to find 5 more "P" booklets at a local pharmacy (no postal outlet, just sold behind the counter), all the Queen definitive. I think that will be it for me, with the amount of business mail I send out, these will last a long time....

Mark, I don't collect modern covers but I'd be happy to send you some with the 63c definitives...

Jean
Always looking for new swap partners: Swap thread (INDEX of Lots in first post)
Please visit my Colnect page for my country and thematic wish and swap lists - these are always being updated.

admin
Site Administrator
Location: That's on a need to know basis - and YOU do not need to know!

Post by admin »

librarianc wrote:I was incorrect in that:
Self-adhesive PERMANENT stamps are available in booklets as well as in coils of 100 stamps. One stamp can be used to mail a letter anywhere in Canada that weighs up to 30 grams or more postage can be added to mail larger letters, parcels or to send mail internationally.
---from Canada Post web site - http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/productsservices/atoz/permanentstamp.jsf
So at what VALUE will a "P" stamp be counted as after April when used on foreign mail? $1? Or $1 plus tax?

If you use 2 x P stamps, will that count as $C2 franking .. as to buy then at counter will cost you $C2 - plus tax.

BarryM

Post by BarryM »

admin wrote:
librarianc wrote:
So at what VALUE will a "P" stamp be counted as after April when used on foreign mail? $1? Or $1 plus tax?

If you use 2 x P stamps, will that count as $C2 franking .. as to buy then at counter will cost you $C2 - plus tax.
I suspect P stamps will be counted at 0.85 after March 31. Canada Post isn't going to give a discount on it's other services just because someone bought a booklet of P stamps. The $1 cost will be the cost of buying a single 0.85 stamp; i.e. an extra service charge for breaking a sheet or booklet.

cakehead

Post by cakehead »

BarryM wrote:I just noticed, Canada Post has even deleted all of the quarterly packs that included "P" stamps except the 4th quarter pack. This is bound to seriously annoy a lot of collectors that haven't ordered all the most recent packs.
Forget the collectors, this should annoy anyone. In the states it would lead to riots. The sheeple of the Canadian nanny-state will probably just sit down the couch, sigh and switch on the hockey game.

BarryM

Post by BarryM »

cakehead wrote:
BarryM wrote:I just noticed, Canada Post has even deleted all of the quarterly packs that included "P" stamps except the 4th quarter pack. This is bound to seriously annoy a lot of collectors that haven't ordered all the most recent packs.
Forget the collectors, this should annoy anyone. In the states it would lead to riots. The sheeple of the Canadian nanny-state will probably just sit down the couch, sigh and switch on the hockey game.
Why would anyone other than collectors care about the quarterly packs?

Now in Canada, just about the only thing we riot about is hockey. :lol:

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Berlin-Gus wrote:The 36¢ QEII definitive was very short-lived and is hard to find used on cover by itself.
I remember that one...the plum-coloured defin, right? Didn't really seem to be a need or reason to issue it. The post office works in mysterious ways sometimes.

patricioj
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

No more home mail delivery in Canada!?

Post by patricioj »

This came across the bow this morning, instantly breaking my heart. Technocrats and budget-cutting nut jobs win again. Who can imagine a world without letters? How are people without internet going to get information? I truly find this distressing!

Sorry- had to vent. -PJ

http://www.laprogressive.com/post-office-closings/

AMark

Re: No more home mail delivery in Canada!?

Post by AMark »

patricioj,

You can find more information on this topic at this link, Canada Post to phase out urban home mail delivery

Cheers!

patricioj

Post by patricioj »

AMark-
Thanks for the orientation- interesting viewpoints here.
-PJ

cakehead

Post by cakehead »

This may have a silver lining, community mailboxes will reduce the amount of mail theft, and police in the nanny state can have more time for RIDE checkpoints. Gotta be a win, win from Ottawa's standpoint.

I really hope the community unit comes sooner rather than later to the USA, even in sleepy eastern Kansas, mail theft in my suburb is increasing. Not much of a problem with stuff from Macy's, etc as they just send a new shipment. EBay lots are considered delivered when the postman scans at the box and I imagine most small stamp dealers would take the same attitude (correct if I am wrong). They might also do a better job of protect from the elements.

I'm not even going to get into the healthy walking vs. lazy lout aspect.

philcovex2

Post by philcovex2 »

Berlin-Gus wrote:
The 36¢ QEII definitive was very short-lived and is hard to find used on cover by itself.

I remember that one...the plum-coloured defin, right? Didn't really seem to be a need or reason to issue it. The post office works in mysterious ways sometimes.
There was a logical and necessary reason. The rate had increased from 34 cents to 36 cents. The fact that the 36 cent rate was short-lived is irrelevant. To be fair though, the Queen Elizabeth definitive was issued on October 10, 1987, seven months after the rate had increased. The 36 cent Parliament sheet and coil stamps were issued on March 30 and May 19, 1987 respectively . The Elizabeth stamp was not necessary but it would have been the first time since 1867 that a definitive bearing the monarch's image would not have been available for the duration of a domestic rate period.

Several 36 cent definitive stamps were issued.

1) 36 cent Parliament sheet stamp (Issued March 31, 1987)

2) 36 cent Parliament booklet stamp (Issued March 31, 1987)
(straight-edge left margin indicates the stamp was from a pane of 10 or 25 stamps)

3) 36 cent Queen Elizabeth (Issued October 10, 1987)

Some Canadians would have been upset if the Elizabeth stamp had not been issued. Better late than never.

This article may be of interest. It deals with Canadian definitives which are "Monarch-free"

https://postalhistorycorner.blogspot.ca/2013/11/monarch-free-first-class-letter-rate.html
Last edited by philcovex2 on 19 Dec 2013 08:58, edited 1 time in total.

cakehead

Post by cakehead »

philcovex2 wrote:
Berlin-Gus wrote:
The 36¢ QEII definitive was very short-lived and is hard to find used on cover by itself.

There was a logical and necessary reason. The rate had increased from 34 cents to 36 cents. The fact that the 36 cent rate was short-lived is irrelevant. No mystery!

Now there's a nifty single frame sure to get a ribbon: "The Short-lived Thirty Six Cent Purple Queen". I'd stop and look.

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

The latest in this saga, the CEO was summoned before Parliament, and his stance on the matter of phasing out home delivery,
Canada Post's Deepak Chopra says seniors want exercise from picking up mail

The head of Canada Post says seniors have told the corporation they want more exercise and fresh air in answer to an MP's question about how the elderly will be especially hard hit by the cancellation of home mail delivery.

Deepak Chopra was answering questions put to him by MPs at a special emergency meeting of the transport committee Wednesday. Parliament has risen so most MPs are back in their ridings for a Christmas break and won't return until the end of January.

Chopra said Canadians were widely consulted about changes and if they read newspapers and follow the media they shouldn't have been taken by surprise when the corporation announced it was raising stamp prices and cancelling door-to-door delivery. Chopra said 46 communities were consulted about losing daily mail service.
Full article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-post-s-deepak-chopra- ... -1.2469061

AMark

Post by AMark »

Does anyone know the issue date for the 63¢ Baby woodchucks and the 63¢ Queen Elizabeth II definitives?

The 63¢ Canadian Pride issue date was December 10, 2013, as shown on the Canada Post site. The site however, has the January 14, 2013 as an issue date for the Baby woodchucks and Queen Elizabeth II definitives. This was the issue date for the Baby woodchucks and Queen Elizabeth II "P" stamps.

philcovex2

Post by philcovex2 »

Does anyone know the issue date for the 63¢ Baby woodchucks and the 63¢ Queen Elizabeth II definitives?

The 63¢ Canadian Pride issue date was December 10, 2013, as shown on the Canada Post site. The site however, has the January 14, 2013 as an issue date for the Baby woodchucks and Queen Elizabeth II definitives. This was the issue date for the Baby woodchucks and Queen Elizabeth II "P" stamps.
I also found this confusing. My guess is that they were first put on sale Wednesday, December 11, 2013. There probably won't be any official first day covers.

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

I saw the QE2 stamps at my post office so they are definitely out.
Always looking for new swap partners: Swap thread (INDEX of Lots in first post)
Please visit my Colnect page for my country and thematic wish and swap lists - these are always being updated.

Islander2

Post by Islander2 »

Does anyone know if the low value 'beneficial bug' series will be continuing? If they pull those, we will have to use two of the $0.63 rate to mail a $0.85 piece :!:

warm
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by warm »

Berlin-Gus wrote: Image
We have folk that 'collect' ATM machines - these look like they would be easy ones to practice on.

AMark

Post by AMark »

philcovex2 wrote:

I also found this confusing. My guess is that they were first put on sale Wednesday, December 11, 2013. There probably won't be any official first day covers.
A couple of different PO workers have told me that the 63¢ Baby woodchucks and the 63¢ Queen Elizabeth II definitives, were shipped along with the 63¢ Canadian Pride definitives. I am guessing that the issue date was December 10, 2013 for the 63¢ Baby woodchucks and the 63¢ Queen Elizabeth II stamps.

AMark

Post by AMark »

Canada Post CEO defends delivery cuts, says seniors will get more exercise

Canada Post ’s top executive says ending home delivery and shifting millions of Canadians to community mailboxes offers at least one unintended upside – more exercise for seniors.

Making his first public appearance since the post office announced a controversial plan to stem mounting losses, Canada Post chief executive Deepak Chopra cast the austerity moves as a careful balance between the competing needs of Canadians and the Crown corporation’s dire financial predicament.

The changes include an end to home delivery of letters, a 35-per-cent hike in the price of stamps and the elimination of up to 8,000 jobs.

Many welcome the idea of walking to a centralized neighbourhood mailbox – already the reality for roughly a quarter of households – he said at an emergency session of the House of Commons transport committee Wednesday, requested by the opposition.

“The seniors are telling me, ‘I want to be healthy. I want to be active in my life,’” Mr. Chopra told MPs. “They want to be living fuller lives.”

The shift to community mailboxes will free up more quality time for busy families by making it easier for them to receive online purchases at secure locations, he added.

Mr. Chopra insisted all the changes are the result of “robust” consultations with Canadians about the future of the post office in the digital age. Canada Post currently delivers mail and parcels to 15.3-million households and businesses. A third of those, or 5.1 million, that now get door-to-door delivery, will lose the service over the next five years. The rest of Canadians get their mail either at group mailboxes, apartment lobby boxes, post offices or on rural roads, and they will be unaffected.

The suggestion that Canadians want less service and higher rates sparked outrage from opposition MPs and the Canadian Union of Postal Workers. They also complained that Canada Post didn’t explore options to generate more revenue, including offering banking services.

Liberal MP David McGuinty mockingly called Mr. Chopra’s postal plan “mail Participaction” – a reference to the government’s national fitness program.

NDP MP Paul Dewar disputed the notion that the post office consulted widely with Canadians before announcing the changes. “Sir, most Canadians had no clue. No one knew you were doing this in a robust way,” he said as he quizzed Mr. Chopra.

Canada Post has released a 19-page document, which it describes as a summary of four months of consultations with thousands of Canadians in 46 communities across the country. In it, the post office said Canadians would support an end of home delivery and would accept higher stamp prices if it keeps the postal service from becoming a burden on taxpayers. Mr. Chopra declined Mr. Dewar’s request to table the full details of those consultations, and he dodged questions about when he alerted the government of its plan to chop home delivery.

“I realize these are difficult choices that are going to be tough on some people,” Mr. Chopra said.

The post office had little choice because it is facing a crippling decline in letter mail, mounting losses and a $6.5-billion pension solvency deficit, according to Mr. Chopra. “We have a corporation that is facing an inflection point with the technology that is wiping out the very foundation that [Canada Post] was built on,” he told the committee.

The post office delivered 1 billion fewer pieces of mail in 2012, compared to 2007. Letter-mail volume is declining at a rate of roughly 5 per cent a year. At the same time, the post office’s parcel business is growing rapidly as more people shop online.

“If the mail is changing its shape and size, don’t we think the mailbox should change its size too?” he asked MPs. Doing nothing in that environment wasn’t an option, he explained. “Every day of delay is going to cost us millions,” he said.

Mr. Chopra promised that the installation of community mailboxes would be done in a “thoughtful manner” and that the post office would communicate extensively with Canadians. The post office is looking at mainly installing the boxes on local government land, including parks, schools and government offices, Mr. Chopra told The Globe and Mail before the committee meeting. He said Canada Post doesn’t pay municipalities for locating boxes on their land. Canada Post is also considering working with retailers to install the boxes near stores, Jacques Côté, president of the post office’s physical delivery network, told reporters.

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canada-post-ceo ... e16024432/

Berlin-Gus

Post by Berlin-Gus »

Do you honestly believe that political spin. Canada Post is supposedly a crown corporation operated at arms length. In reality it is totally under the jurisdiction of the federal government and does as it is told.
Gus

for Canadian postal history check out the PHSC website, http://www.postalhistorycanada.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tr57

Post by tr57 »

The lazy Canadian voters won't even bother to vote. There won't be too much noise about their lack of household mail delivery in the future. The conservatives can do as they please without any real consequences for them from the voters.
Interestingly, Registered Mail will continue to be delivered to the home address.

philcovex2

Post by philcovex2 »

The lazy Canadian voters won't even bother to vote. There won't be too much noise about their lack of household mail delivery in the future. The conservatives can do as they please without any real consequences for them from the voters.
Interesting graphs from Wikipedia :

AMark

Post by AMark »

Does anyone know if Canada Post will also be reissuing the Baby Wildlife Souvenir Sheet with the 63¢ Baby woodchucks stamp?

This is the souvenir sheet with the "P" Baby woodchucks stamp.

I am assuming that they will not, because if they did they would have issued the sheet already.

BarryM

Post by BarryM »

AMark wrote:Does anyone know if Canada Post will also be reissuing the Baby Wildlife Souvenir Sheet with the 63¢ Baby woodchucks stamp?

<snip>

I am assuming that they will not, because if they did they would have issued the sheet already.
I would guess that Canada Post will be issuing a new series of definitives including a souvenir sheet, on March 31. This is assuming the new postal rates are approved. Since there hasn't been any terrible backlash so far, I'm guessing this will probably happen on schedule.

BarryM

Post by BarryM »

There is something else in this reform package that should be of concern to collectors:
Businesses that use postage meters will pay a new discounted postal commercial rate of $0.75 (per letter 0-30 g).
There are a few small businesses still using postage stamps on their mail. This measure should just about kill that. Given Canada Post's argument that most Canadians only use 2 postage stamps a month on average, then what is the point of issuing all these stamps each year? (Other than fleecing the collector market of course). :(

mikeg

Post by mikeg »

Sorry for the poor pic- I was too lazy to get out of my car :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is a set of boxes in a new (5 Years ago) area near me.

The boxes look like they were hit by the snowplow, which was a full week ago.

They are leaning back, and only did not topple over because they are leaning on something behind them.

There is no sidewalk here, so anyone walking has to walk in the street to access them, and if you are driving, the street is too narrow now to park without blocking it :roll:

Any seniors will get good exercise avoiding oncoming cars :lol:

Until it warmed up today, the snow was up to the lower boxes. :P

mikeg

Post by mikeg »

OK- Now I'm baffled :o

It is Saturday morning here, and the mailman just made his rounds & I received 1 piece of mail. :?:

We have not had Saturday delivery since the stone age :P

AMark

Post by AMark »

mikeg wrote:OK- Now I'm baffled :o

It is Saturday morning here, and the mailman just made his rounds & I received 1 piece of mail. :?:

Ah, cutbacks by expansion. :D

Islander2

Post by Islander2 »

mikeg wrote:We have not had Saturday delivery since the stone age
Actually, there was Saturday delivery the weekend prior to or after St. Jean Baptiste day (Quebec only of course) in 2013. They must be trying to avoid backlog due to the holidays.

Berlin-Gus

Post by Berlin-Gus »

mikeg wrote:OK- Now I'm baffled :o

Welcome to the Stone Age ... we are heading there rapidly!
Gus

OttawaMike

Post by OttawaMike »

I, for one, find the community mail boxes to be a positive thing. I've been trying for years to get Canada Post to replace the old green mailbox (often used in rural areas) that I have now at the end of my road - my box leaks. They kept assuring me that there was a program to replace those old boxes with the new community ones over time, but I suspect now that will be delayed until the door to door delivery is phased out in five years. Those folks will likely get priority over me.

Why do I prefer the boxes?

Well, I had a community mailbox at my last address. It was so much more convenient than delivery to my door. Seems counterintuitive, but think how things are changing. I now do a lot of shopping on-line. Every time I get a package or oversized envelope delivered, I have to go to the post office to pick it up. Where I live now, that is a 50 km round trip. It was shorter when I lived in the city, but still inconvenient.

When a package is delivered to a person with a community mail box, there are unassigned large boxes for that purpose. The parcel is placed in the large box, and the key is deposited in your personal box. You simply retrieve the key, remove your parcel from the large box, and deposit the key in the mail slot. Simple.

And yes, it is also convenient to be able to mail letters at the same place you pick up your mail.

Mail is safer in the box. Home mail boxes are rarely locked. The padlock I have on the old green box I use now has been cut open once resulting in the loss of an eBay lot. Community boxes have good locks, not easily opened without the key.

You still need to go to the post office for items which require a signature in my rural situation, but when I lived in the city, the postie came to my door for a signature. I don't know if that remains standard practice.

The question was raised earlier about junk mail. When I had the community box, I was able to instruct the postie that I did not want unaddressed mail. They simply affixed a label to the inside of my box, and my weekly recycling load got a lot lighter. Junk mail seems to be much less of a problem out in the sticks, so I have not investigated whether I can do that here.

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”