FULL history of the unique 1856 1¢ British Guiana stamp

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

billw2
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: Unique 1856 1¢ British Guiana stamp Auctioned June 17, 2

Post by billw2 »

Bah. Thought I saw $9,400,000 there.

Anyhow look at the pics I posted again. The last pic of the sales room shows the auctioneer.

Allanswood
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Allanswood »

US $ 354,392,523,364.49 to the Kilo.

1000/ 0.02675 * $ 9,480,000.00

At todays rate that's $ 379,607,551,401.87 AUD

However I would challenge the actual weight of the stamp (and the 3 skilling yellow) as that means there are 37,383 of them in a kilo. I would seriously doubt that quantity. I would have used the usual figures of about 12,000 or so.

PS - the metric converter I have says that 0.0009 once is 0.025515 gms making the figure $ 371,546,149,323.93 $ 397,981,657,848.33 AUD
Last edited by Allanswood on 18 Jun 2014 11:11, edited 1 time in total.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Greg thanks for that. :)

Over $US350 BILLION a Kilogram is a pretty neat figure. :lol:

Its weight has been estimated to be about the same as the multi-million Sweden 3sk “Tre Skilling Yellow” which we know from their very extensive and widely published forensic lab reports weighs exactly 0.02675 grams (0.0009 ounces).

If anything, my hunch is this weighs LESS due to the chamfered corners, hence the per kilo figure will be higher.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

What a shame the Smithsonian didn't weigh it while they had the chance. Although I'd be surprised if they didn't weigh it as part of their testing. They were the last ones to have it "out on its own" and not encased in something.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Well the Tre Skilling Yellow WAS weighed precisely, and as posted, my feeling is this will weight even less due to the 4 missing corners. :mrgreen:

billw2

Post by billw2 »

Well,

Isn't this stamp a bit larger than the Treskilling Banco?

Regardless, even if it weighs 10x as much it's still the most valuable item on earth by weight. Heck, I think it was even going by the 1980 sale price!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

pookie9121 wrote:
I'm showing it on the website at $9,013,000. Maybe someone forgot to add some more numbers?
Is this dreadful goof still showing on their website somewhere?

Can someone grab a Snipping Tool image of that please and post it?

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I could ask them - the Smithsonian. :idea:

The most valuable item in the world by weight (which it has to be by simple deduction) and yet, no ones actually weighed it! :lol:

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Yes rated per kilogram, even the Mona Lisa would get nowhere close. :lol: :lol: :lol:

InforaPenny
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by InforaPenny »

Sold for 9,013,000 including buyer's premium.

Best Regards,

InforaPenny

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Allanswood wrote:I could ask them - the Smithsonian. :idea:

The most valuable item in the world by weight (which it has to be by simple deduction) and yet, no ones actually weighed it! :lol:

I've asked them.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

InforaPenny - out of interest have you read a single word of the past 40 posts?
Global Administrator wrote:
pookie9121 wrote:
I'm showing it on the website at $9,013,000. Maybe someone forgot to add some more numbers?
Is this dreadful goof still showing on their website somewhere?

Can someone grab a Snipping Tool image of that please and post it?

MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Two hours after the auction has concluded, and the wrong result is still showing,

Here is a link to the results page- interesting to see when its updated

https://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/results.results.sale.pdf/2014/magenta-n09154.pdf
Please click link below to "Like" stampboards on FACEBOOK -
https://www.facebook.com/stampboards/

Kaygeevee

Post by Kaygeevee »

Now that the sale is over I thought that this may be of interest. It's a report of the sale of the stamp in 1922.

This is the report from Mr. Fred Hagen of Australia who attended the auction in Paris.

This report was by Mr. Fred Melville.

I didn't want to show the above before the 2014 auction as I was concerned that it might influence the final price of todays auction :) :) :)

As you can see both reports are from The Australian Philatelist of 5th June 1922.

Best regards David :)

MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

I love the description of the queue and scramble to get the good seats 10 minutes prior to the auction starting!

Doesn't sound like there were too many trays of food, champagne and Tullamore Dew whiskey on hand in 1922 8)

Andyref2
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by Andyref2 »

Thank you for posting the information! What a day for Philately! I came here to find the results before looking for it on the news, why waste time? StampBoards is where the action and info is, no doubt!

I hope whoever the anonymous buyer is doesn't sleep with it under their pillow!
Be Safe!
Andy Z.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

MargoZ wrote:Two hours after the auction has concluded, and the wrong result is still showing,

Here is a link to the results page- interesting to see when its updated

https://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/results.results.sale.pdf/2014/magenta-n09154.pdf
These Hooray Henries are doubtless all down the pub celebrating their $$$ millions in buyer and sellers fees, and are too busy to notice their own official website is STILL showing the invoice figure is about half a million short many hours after the sale. :roll:

David Redden from the podium announces the sale invoice is "around US9.5 million" (that is after a minute delay whilst someone went and located a pocket calculator!) and some tech geek is half asleep out the back, and adds on the wrong buyer fees. Real Monty Python stuff.

The incompetence of Sothebys in many aspects of this sale have been absolutely gob-smacking. :twisted:

You really wonder what it might have got if David Feldman had handled this alongside the rest of the duPont British Guiana collection he offered this month.

StampsAreArt
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Watch Video of World Record for British Guiana at Sotheby's

Post by StampsAreArt »

Just got back from the Sotheby's Auction where the British Guiana 1 cent Magent brought in a record hammer price.

I have posted a video I took of the auction at http://www.stampsareart.com/stamp-art/world-record-for-briti ... t-sothebys

David Smitham
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by David Smitham »

Let us not quibble over a few $100,000 (in whatever currency!) it is more than I have at present in my wallet - hence I was not in the market for this item - even if I had the few $100,000 I would still not have enough!!

David.
David Smitham
NZ 2020 FIAP stamp exhibition 19-22 March 2020, Auckland, NZ.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Andyref2 wrote:
Thank you for posting the information! What a day for Philately! I came here to find the results before looking for it on the news, why waste time?

StampBoards is where the action and info is, no doubt!
Yes quite a global scoop for stampboards. :mrgreen:

The sale price was posted here before anywhere else on this planet.

From members watching the live feed from the auction house, and from Bill posting price and pix on a smartphone right from the auction venue floor. :)

Amazing teamwork. And shows that Bulletin Boards are totally immediate, unlike monthly magazines etc.

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

David Smitham wrote:Let us not quibble over a few $100,000 (in whatever currency!) it is more than I have at present in my wallet - hence I was not in the market for this item - even if I had the few $100,000 I would still not have enough!!

David.
David we are talking a HALF A MILLION AMERICAN DOLLARS error here! :lol:

It may well be your home is not worth that much?!

Only Sothebys could mess up the invoice price on an item that they sold, so badly. :roll:

The actual invoice price was around $US9.5 million, or $A10.154 million.

You really should not be in business, if you can't report your own successes correctly.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I haven't worked it out based on Sotheby's normal tiered (scaled) commission system, but could their computer simply have used their normal formula to add up the fees and that's the result on the website?

Wasn't this auction a little out of their ordinary scale?

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Unique 1856 1¢ British Guiana stamp Auctioned June 2014

Greg, yes as posted before, their WEBSITE says 12% over $2 million for NY sales (see below) but Redden announced before the sale started they (greedily) were holding out for 20% of the full sum on this one.

They can't get their website right in so many other ways, so one more boob will not bother them.

Any Auction whose BEST official press photo of a $10 million stamp had a chunk of stamp hinge on the face of it, and bits of dandruff or whatever on it too, clearly pay no attention to detail.
capetriangle wrote:
Also the buyer's premium for this sale will be 20% and not the 12% as suggested on the thread.
I do not think so? Do you have info this chart does not apply Richard?

The 30%+ in Italy on near all lots is Obscene, even for Sotheby's. :roll: :twisted: :twisted:
https://www.sothebys.com/content/dam/sothebys/PDFs/buyersprem ... 13_new.pdf

pookie9121

Post by pookie9121 »

I guess the inaccurate pricing is still on the website. You would think such a "prestigious" company would have a more thorough team checking the website for accuracy. 8) :lol: :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Erik
Enjoy every minute

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

It's showing what I assumed. They must have a built in calculator (or spreadsheet like I just made) that gives a final figure.

I have taken their tiered % commissions for below 100k, below 2 million and above 2mil and the fees of 25%+20% and the final 12% come to the 9,013,000 showing on their results.

It's not a one fixed % based on sale - it's adding 25k (25%) + 380k (20%) +708k (12%) together.

Which of course was not what the published the fees to be set at a flat 20% on hammer.

There website is therefore showing fees for 100k being 25k, 1,900,000 being 380k and the balance of 5,700,000 being 708k and add them together to get... $ 9,013,000

MargoZ

Re: Watch Video of World Record for British Guiana at Sotheb

Post by MargoZ »

StampsAreArt wrote:Just got back from the Sotheby's Auction where the British Guiana 1 cent Magent brought in a record hammer price.

I have posted a video I took of the auction at http://www.stampsareart.com/stamp-art/world-record-for-briti ... t-sothebys
Fantastic video - thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the upright version too!

That's at least three Stampboarders present? Anyone else there?

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Wow, I thought it would have been a little more frenetic. Perhaps just 2 or 3 bidders once it hit 6 million.

The half mil jumps must have killed of the rest very quickly. But it was in the ballpark of what I predicted. I think the SB poll had that rough figure as the most popular result as well (5-10mil).

Would have taken longer to enjoy the cappucino and canapes. :lol:

billw2

Post by billw2 »

Well,

They did a nice job on the catalog, which I bought for $20. It's the first modern catalog that I have paid for.. umm.. ever? But then again, it's not like I buy anything from Sotheby's.

I'm not thrilled either with a lot of aspects of the sale, however, IMO, Siegel should have handled the stamp and I said that to Scott Trepel. Regardless, it was good to see it get sold right here in NY City.

As far as their website pricing goes I am certain that it's obviously an automated system and I am also certain they they will correct it once the Whiskey wears off.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Greg it sold for TEN times in $US what it got last time offered at auction.

And back then, it was the full on American Barnum and Bailey media circus hype, with Weinberg and his armed guards, and briefcase handcuffed to his wrist etc, like some B Grade James Bond Film spoof. :mrgreen:

TEN TIMES THAT.

If you ever offered me 10 times what I paid for something major, I'd tear your arm off to get the cash!
Weinberg B Grade Movie Circus troupe, and the 1856 1c British Guiana stamp

Greaden
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by Greaden »

Give the condition the stamp was in, the only reason anyone would buy it would be for bragging rights. So start bragging, whomever! Satisfy our morbid curiosity as to who or what would have splurged on that illegible (aside from the postmark) scrap of paper.

alltorque
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by alltorque »

I got to Sotherby's this afternoon to see it in its glory on the 10th floor but didnt get back for the auction as my credit card wasnt accepted :P

It was an awesome experience to get so close to something valued at over $10,000,000 but not a real pretty item to me.

Without the knowledge and write ups etc you would not even know what it was....

One of a kind so may well be worth the investment going on its past selling history

cheers, Ian

pookie9121

Post by pookie9121 »

Global Administrator wrote:Greg it sold for TEN times in $US what it got last time offered at auction.

And back then, it was the full on American Barnum and Bailey media circus hype, with Weinberg and his armed guards, and briefcase handcuffed to his wrist etc, like some B Grade James Bond Film spoof. :mrgreen:

TEN TIMES THAT.

If you ever offered me 10 times what I paid for something major, I'd tear your arm off to get the cash!
Weinberg B Grade Movie Circus troupe, and the 1856 1c British Guiana stamp
Is it just me or is she kind of hot? 8)

Cheers
Erik
Enjoy every minute

Lakatoi 4
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Erik,

She'd probably be a grandmother now, after all it was 34 years ago :(
Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"

Norman
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by Norman »

Thank you stampboards and everybody involved for this global scoop!

Norman
I collect plate flaws on early republican brazilian emissions

pookie9121

Post by pookie9121 »

Lakatoi 4 wrote:Erik,

She'd probably be a grandmother now, after all it was 34 years ago :(
Haha indeed. I should have said "was" instead of "is". 8) :lol:
Enjoy every minute

Lakatoi 4
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Speaking about time being a harsh mistress, take a look at what this stamp used to look like:

Any other very rare high value stamp (including the Tre Skilling Banco) deteriorating as much as this one has would surely have reduced markedly in value not increased :idea:
Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Lakatoi 4 wrote:
Speaking about time being a harsh mistress, take a look at what this stamp used to look like:
Do keep up Tony .. that scan was formulated here on thread by Allanswood a few weeks back, using the ACTUAL mono scan taken in Washington only last month. :lol:

The black detail shows far better. But this detail was taken right off the actual stamp.

Certainly looks far better than the lazy Sotheby's image, with bits of stamp hinge and dandruff all over it!

MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Glen just did an interview with ABC Radio's Simon Frazer from 'PM'.

Parts of that will be used as promo this afternoon, and he will call for a longer interview soon.

Will apparently be broadcast this evening after 6.10PM ABC Local radio, and 5pm on 'Radio National' if anyone local cares to tune in.

Podcast should be available tomorrow on ABC website:

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/indexes/2014/pm_20140617.htm

billw2

Post by billw2 »

I stole this image from https://www.siegelauctions.com as this is what it looked like when it was last sold by them in 1980 at their Rarities of the World sale. At that time hammer price was $850,000 and Siegel charged a 10% buyer's premium for a total of $935,000.

I don't think the poor thing has aged all that well....

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Bill, never take too much store by ancient photos from decades back, before digital became the norm. The colours are often wildly wrong.

This image is from "Linns Stamps News" - from THIS year as you can see! I have a hunch it too is not correctly colour matched. :mrgreen:

http://www.linns.com/news/breaking-stamp-news/172/British-Gu ... YC-June-17
Image link inactive. Removed

pookie9121

Post by pookie9121 »

Global Administrator wrote:Bill, never take too much store by ancient photos from decades back, before digital became the norm. The colours are often wildly wrong.

This image is from "Linns Stamps News" - from THIS year as you can see! I have a hunch it too is not correctly colour matched. :mrgreen:

http://www.linns.com/news/breaking-stamp-news/172/British-Gu ... YC-June-17
Image link inactive. Removed
Wow that's bright. :)
Enjoy every minute

Stewie1980

Post by Stewie1980 »

On a Dutch news site there is a much better picture of what it really looks like now:

https://nos.nl/artikel/662691-95-mln-dollar-voor-postzegel-1-cent.html

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Yikes, a 1 cent fushia pink British Guiana. :shock: (Now 2 posts back)

Welcome to the modern world of rocket science - first after being MIA for nigh on 30 years, no one weighs the most valuable item by weight in the world, and everyone else falls over themselves not getting near what the colour may look like when all they need do is look at any other 4c magenta local printed stamp from the same era as it was on the same paper, plus other examples of which are readily available and do a basic colour match.

By the way, it's not much to conclude that being locally printed with ink and coloured paper that was at hand at the time and with perhaps some unknowingly dodgy storage and protection methods over the years - read "old plastic" and plenty of display UV - of the recent past, that local ink will happily fade away due to age and fumes from the tomb it has laid in.

But even then, it is quite clear on the old photo's and the old cert that already the stamp was showing it's lack of longevity, long before anyone stuck it in a plastic security holder, or was rumoured to have slept with it under a pillow. :)

burneggroll

Post by burneggroll »

Allanswood wrote:It's showing what I assumed. They must have a built in calculator (or spreadsheet like I just made) that gives a final figure.

I have taken their tiered % commissions for below 100k, below 2 million and above 2mil and the fees of 25%+20% and the final 12% come to the 9,013,000 showing on their results.

It's not a one fixed % based on sale - it's adding 25k (25%) + 380k (20%) +708k (12%) together.

Which of course was not what the published the fees to be set at a flat 20% on hammer.

There website is therefore showing fees for 100k being 25k, 1,900,000 being 380k and the balance of 5,700,000 being 708k and add them together to get... $ 9,013,000
BRILLIANT! Take a bow! Sotheby's should get apologies from all those that thought they couldn't do math. "They do not reflect any Value Added Tax (VAT) or (Australian) Goods and Services Tax (GST)." Think the 'anonymous' winner will pay any of those taxes?

Sotheby's charges a seller's commission too, don't they? How much did they make for brokering the sale?

PS - Back off boys. She's my age now and yes, kind of hot.
vernonaverill [at] gmail.com

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

burneggroll wrote:
Sotheby's should get apologies from all those that thought they couldn't do math.
No it is YOU who cannot do Math.

20% added on top of $US7.9m takes you to $US9.48 million. That is what buyer will pay before other charges.

But if you had actually bothered to read the thread, you'd realise that already.

Sothebys have a job in their accounts department awaiting you. :idea:

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

MargoZ wrote:Glen just did an interview with ABC Radio's Simon Frazer from 'PM'.

Parts of that will be used as promo this afternoon, and he will call for a longer interview soon.

Will apparently be broadcast this evening after 6.10PM ABC Local radio, and 5pm on 'Radio National' if anyone local cares to tune in.

Podcast should be available tomorrow on ABC website:

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/indexes/2014/pm_20140617.htm
Producer called me to say it will about 5.30pm on ABC Radio National and about 6.30pm on ABC Radio 2BL NSW. :mrgreen:

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

New finds of lost one cent Magentas starting in 5...4...3...

Norm
Geelong, VFA Premiers 1878, 1879, 1800, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1886, AFL Premiers 1925, 1931, 1937, 1951, 1952, 1963, 2007, 2009, 2011, .

burneggroll

Post by burneggroll »

burneggroll wrote:
Sotheby's should get apologies from all those that thought they couldn't do math.
No it is YOU who cannot do Math.

20% added on top of $US7.9m takes you to $US9.48 million. That is what buyer will pay before other charges.

But if you had actually bothered to read the thread, you'd realise that already.

Sothebys have a job in their accounts department awaiting you. :idea:
:oops: Wow. That was mean. That hurt. Ouch.
My praise was for stampboards member Allanswood, who was able to explain Sotheby's posted results: http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/results.results.sale.pdf/2014/magenta-n09154.pdf
I'm sorry that you thought it was something else.
vernonaverill [at] gmail.com

lesbootman
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by lesbootman »

I'm sure if I spent that much money on a stamp and my wife asked me to justify doing it I'd be hard pressed to come up with an answer.

It would seem to be a very risky investment too; just because someone was daft enough to stump up such a huge sum this time around does not mean that anyone will ever be willing to do so again.

After all, is British Guiana a popular collecting area?
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!

wolseley16/60
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by wolseley16/60 »

https://nos.nl/artikel/662691-95-mln-dollar-voor-postzegel-1-cent.html[/quote]
It looks like crap...albeit expensive crap.....

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”