Donald Trump: President of the United States, DISCUSSION

Discussion of anything you like. Sport, stamps, politics, religion, weather, world disasters, news articles - whatever. Things generally NOT stamp related belong in here. Please keep it CIVIL and polite though! We encourage lively discussion on all things.

Moderators: gmoney, Volunteer Moderator Team

joelk
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Donald Trump: President of the United States, DISCUSSION

Post by joelk »

Well this one is really entertaining.

Only one good piece of news in all this for the Republican Party: they have finally found a plausible argument against the Theory of Evolution...

Cheers,
Joel.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Donald Trump declares his candidacy for US President

Post by Global Administrator »

Mah fella Amricens - y'all voat for mee, end ya'll gett a dinky new plestik WEEG in evry pot!

Stewie1980
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Stewie1980 »

It's not Donald Trump who wants to be president. He speaks for the guinea pig that lives on his head. :lol:

vikingeck
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by vikingeck »

Donald opened the "Best GAWLF Course in the World right here in SKATLAND!"

( he can't even pronounce the country correctly) just 10 miles up the road from Aberdeen

He planned a major development with a second course , then went off and bought a course in Ireland in a huff, when planning application was approved for windturbines 5 miles off shore!

( "They'll spoil mah view from the 4th green!")

Now in the midst of a Law suit against the Scottish Government and threatening to go to the European Court!

The worst kind of wealthy bully-boy ! He also bought Turnberry golf course .
whatever it is -------it's better than a poke in eye with a wet umbrella !

vikingeck

Post by vikingeck »

Our local newspaper has an article today where a longtime Republican strategist tweeted

"an apology to her toddler for bringing him up in a country where Donald Trump runs for Prez and gets better than 2% in the polls!"

Is Sarah Palin not running this time ? or is one clown enough?

jumet
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by jumet »

Should Trump ever be elected, I, for one, will follow the example of my Pre-revolutionary ancestors and move to Canada! :shock:
Jim M.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

vikingeck wrote:
Is Sarah Palin not running this time ? Or is one clown enough?
No the one clown limit is already surpassed - :lol: :lol: :lol:

ya'll gat Jethro Bush

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

Donald Trump standing for President of the USA. That's nearly as implausible as Ed Miliband standing for Prime Minister of the UK.

Oh, wait...

ottawasteve

Post by ottawasteve »

In 2010, we all laughed with the moronic Rob Ford ran for Mayor of Toronto. Thought he was a buffoonish also-ran.

Then he won.

That's what scares me about these fools. There may be just enough similarly foolish constituents, and the luck of a split vote, to get them elected.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

ottawasteve wrote:
In 2010, we all laughed with the moronic Rob Ford ran for Mayor of Toronto.

Thought he was a buffoonish also-ran.

Then he won.
Yes, but surely the American public are too smart to elect a similar moron? Twice.

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

I read that there's now 20 candidates running for the Republican nomination...pundits were already saying it was a crowded field when there were only about 6.

Elections always bring out so many fringe candidates, its a bit silly. Remember Ross Perot?

And speaking of Toronto elections, there was an old guy, he was a street busker, he ran for mayor in every election for decades. He was a fixture on the same street corner, but never garnered more than a handful of votes, probably from people wanting a laugh. And there was the transgender personality Enza Supermodel who did...surprisingly well, in the polls.
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.

billw2
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by billw2 »

Global Administrator wrote:
ottawasteve wrote:
In 2010, we all laughed with the moronic Rob Ford ran for Mayor of Toronto.

Thought he was a buffoonish also-ran.

Then he won.
Yes, but surely the American public are too smart to elect a similar moron? Twice.

Crazy isn't it?

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

aethelwulf wrote:

... never garnered more than a handful of votes, probably from people wanting a laugh.
THAT was Ross Perot surely?

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

billw2 wrote:

Crazy isn't it?

Follow a war mongering Moron with an IQ of 12, and nearly anyone can get elected. :mrgreen: :lol:

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Stewie1980 wrote:It's not Donald Trump who wants to be president. He speaks for the guinea pig that lives on his head. :lol:
Actually it is a Tribble.

Norm
Geelong, VFA Premiers 1878, 1879, 1800, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1886, AFL Premiers 1925, 1931, 1937, 1951, 1952, 1963, 2007, 2009, 2011, .

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

There's a great website called Quora, its a place where people ask questions about literally anything (if you set up an account, you can get a 'newsfeed' of questions on topics of interest--so I get this random mish-mash of Harry Potter, computer science [don't know why that], Canadian immigration, travel...).

A question the other day was, "Who was the worst U.S. president?" Top answer: Franklin Pierce. He appointed Jefferson Davis as War Secretary. :shock:

People tend to forget, or not know, "the old days" when they think of best/worst of something/someone. (Another example of that: it's believed the richest person ever to live on Earth was a king in Mali 500 years ago).

And, found the link,

http://www.quora.com/Who-is-considered-the-worst-U.S.-President

Counting by votes, James Buchanan is the most widely regarded as worst. (For massive incompetence leading up to confederate secession and the Civil War.)
Coming in second in the vote-count is Andrew Jackson. (For corruption and — most importantly — for initiating a policy of genocide against Native Americans)
Also-ran candidates include Franklin Pierce & Millard Fillmore (for weakness and incompetence that set the stage for Buchanan's monumental failure), Andrew Johnson (for screwing up Lincoln's Reconstruction policies) as well as Grant & Harding (corruption).
From the last century, suggestions from the right include Wilson, FDR, Kennedy, Carter, and current President Barack Obama. From the left, suggestions include Hoover, Nixon and George W. Bush.

All-in-all, it proves the point, that you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

fromdownunder wrote:
Stewie1980 wrote:It's not Donald Trump who wants to be president. He speaks for the guinea pig that lives on his head. :lol:
Actually it is a Tribble.
Yikes, and we know what happened with those...last thing we need is a rampant population of Trump's everywhere.

billw2

Post by billw2 »

Global Administrator wrote:Image

Mah fella Amricens - y'all voat for mee, end ya'll gett a dinky new plestik WEEG in evry pot!
That's apparently a mock southern accent.

Donald Trump is from New York City.

billw2

Post by billw2 »

vikingeck wrote:
Is Sarah Palin not running this time ? Or is one clown enough?
No the one clown limit is already surpassed - :lol: :lol: :lol:

ya'll gat Jethro Bush
What's so bad about Jeb Bush?

vikingeck

Post by vikingeck »

I don't See Jeb Bush as any worse than the other candidates ..............but for "THE GREAT DEMOCRACY" ( sic) which believes in success by merit and not on an inherited aristocracy ........ there seems to be a lot of Dynastic favouritism in the culture .

I do hope he at least trumps Donald's Ace ( or do I mean "ass"?)

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

vikingeck wrote:
for "THE GREAT DEMOCRACY" ( sic) which believes in success by merit and not on an inherited aristocracy ........ there seems to be a lot of Dynastic favouritism in the culture .
I once drove to serious boondocks - Plains Georgia. Population 100 or whatever. Not even a motel or gas station as I recall.

Jimmy and Roslyn Carter still lived there in the same modest house on the main road they'd lived in for decades before he was President.

They both went to the tiny Church each Sunday, and read prayers there etc, and were just regular folks. Undoubtedly with Secret Service guys discreetly in the background, but any deranged, publicity seeking gun toting nutter, who wanted to take a pot shot at an ex President had a pretty soft target there, and thankfully it never occurred. :idea:

The little Library or School at Plains had a little Carter thing there outlining how Carter got to be President and it was pretty interesting. Dirt poor, no national connections of any note, they somehow made it. Turned out he was pretty hopeless as President, agreed by most, but without the Kennedy/Bush/Clinton Dynasties types of well oiled machine he DID get in.

He was sleeping in cars and supporter houses on the campaign trail, they had so little funding!

Clearly he had a hopeless opponent in Gerald Ford, but he was in office until 1981, so it could still occur in our lifetime that a regular citizen could make the oval office. :mrgreen:

Britcollector

Post by Britcollector »

You guys are just plain jealous that we have more whacky politicians than you do.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

vikingeck

Post by vikingeck »

Britcollector wrote:You guys are just plain jealous that we have more whacky politicians than you do.

Sometimes I wish that were true.....................Your guys just get more world wide coverage.

It just occurs to me however that calling Donald Trump a "politician" is a contradiction,

a genuine OXYMORON :lol:

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Britcollector wrote:
You guys are just plain jealous that we have more whacky politicians than you do.

We get our fair share sadly. This obesely overweight Rolled Gold Lunatic held the balance of power in our Senate here until recently - on his own.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=clive+palmer&ie=utf-8&oe= ... 8AXH9ILoAQ

This Clive Palmer froot loop makes Sarah Palin and Ross Perot look and sound like Rhodes Scholars.

He comes from Queensland Politics where they put IQ Bypass Pills into the cafeteria food!

billw2

Post by billw2 »

vikingeck wrote:
for "THE GREAT DEMOCRACY" ( sic) which believes in success by merit and not on an inherited aristocracy ........ there seems to be a lot of Dynastic favouritism in the culture .
I once drove to serious boondocks - Plains Georgia. Population 100 or whatever. Not even a motel or gas station as I recall.

Jimmy and Roslyn Carter still lived there in the same modest house on the main road they'd lived in for decades before he was President.

They both went to the tiny Church each Sunday, and read prayers there etc, and were just regular folks. Undoubtedly with Secret Service guys discreetly in the background, but any deranged, publicity seeking gun toting nutter, who wanted to take a pot shot at an ex President had a pretty soft target there, and thankfully it never occurred. :idea:

The little Library or School at Plains had a little Carter thing there outlining how Carter got to be President and it was pretty interesting. Dirt poor, no national connections of any note, they somehow made it. Turned out he was pretty hopeless as President, agreed by most, but without the Kennedy/Bush/Clinton Dynasties types of well oiled machine he DID get in.

He was sleeping in cars and supporter houses on the campaign trail, they had so little funding!

Clearly he had a hopeless opponent in Gerald Ford, but he was in office until 1981, so it could still occur in our lifetime that a regular citizen could make the oval office. :mrgreen:
I think that the same could be said of Bill Clinton. He also came from rather humble origins as did Ronald Reagan who also grew up poor.

But Jimmy Carter was a rather well off Peanut Farmer to be fair!

But this is the land of opportunity indeed and I certainly believe that. I've earned what I have and I paid for grad school and most of my undergrad and I was able to retire at 30.

billw2

Post by billw2 »

vikingeck wrote:I don't See Jeb Bush as any worse than the other candidates ..............but for "THE GREAT DEMOCRACY" ( sic) which believes in success by merit and not on an inherited aristocracy ........ there seems to be a lot of Dynastic favouritism in the culture .

I do hope he at least trumps Donald's Ace ( or do I mean "ass"?)
I liked Jeb as Governor of Florida when I lived there and I voted for him. He's a bit too socially conservative for my liking so this means he won't be, IMO, a really strong force for the Republicans.

Of the current candidates I suppose I like Rubio. I really like Chris Christie but the left skewered him in the media to the point where he's likely unelectable which is a shame.

The Republicans need to find a centrist candidate. Period. They need a social moderate and a financial conservative and here's why:

The biggest issue with American politics is that you've got a firmly entrenched two party system:

35-40% of the population is going to vote Democrat, regardless of anything.

35-40% of the population is going to likewise vote Republican, regardless of anything.

On top of that, the way the election is won is by electoral votes which are on a state by state basis. Some states are virtually guaranteed to go one way or another (Massachusetts, New York, Vermont, Hawaii, etc are SOLIDLY Democrat while places like the Southeast (Save Florida), Texas, etc are SOLIDLY Republican.

So the whole election really boils down to voters in swing states. Let's say that those swing states constitute a population of MAYBE 50 Million people. About half of those are potential voters, or 25 Million. Of those at least 70% are going to vote down party lines so now we're down to 7,500,000 people.

Assuming a 50% turnout that's 3,750,000 people that are going to truly determine an election in this country. Scary as hell, isn't it? But these are people that could be swayed to go either way... democrat or republican.

THIS is why any candidate that's far to the left (Bernie Sanders) or far to the right (Ted Cruz) isn't going to do much in a tight race because these types of candidates rarely appeal to swing voters who are generally moderates.

tooler

Post by tooler »

A millionaire peanut farmer and X-Governor of Georgia. (he wasn't any good at either)
billw2 wrote:
vikingeck wrote:

I think that the same could be said of Bill Clinton. He also came from rather humble origins as did Ronald Reagan who also grew up poor.

But Jimmy Carter was a rather well off Peanut Farmer to be fair!

But this is the land of opportunity indeed and I certainly believe that. I've earned what I have and I paid for grad school and most of my undergrad and I was able to retire at 30.
I buy too much, can't sell enough - but the information here is priceless.

tooler

Post by tooler »

Don't know if he will run but I like Governor Kasick of Ohio. Of course I would vote for a frog before Clinton.

billw2

Post by billw2 »

I'll say this...

Carter was a HORRIBLE President, but he's turned out to be a fantastic Ambassador/Statesman in retirement.

stallzer

Post by stallzer »

billw2 wrote:What's so bad about Jeb Bush?
Not sure this thread can support that many pages of replies.....

Lets look at the bloodline.

From G.W.

"It's your money. You paid for it." George W Bush, LaCrosse, Wis., Oct. 18, 2000

"Natural gas is hemispheric. I like to call it hemispheric in nature because it is a product that we can find in our neighborhoods." George W Bush, Austin, Texas, Dec. 20, 2000

"It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it." George W Bush, Reuters, May 5, 2000

"They misunderestimated me." George W Bush, Bentonville, Ark., Nov. 6, 2000

Bush: "I talked to my little brother, Jeb - I haven't told this to many people. But he's the governor of - I shouldn't call him my little brother - my brother, Jeb, the great Governor of Texas."
Jim Lehrer: "Florida."
Bush: "Florida. The state of the Florida."
News Hour With Jim Lehrer, PBS, 27th April 2000

"It is clear our nation is reliant upon big foreign oil. More and more of our imports come from overseas." George W Bush, Beaverton, Oregon, 25th September 2000

"After all, religion has been around a lot longer than Darwinism." George, September 2000

"They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." George W Bush, during a debate in St. Charles, Mo., Nov. 2, 2000
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."

billw2

Post by billw2 »

stallzer wrote:
billw2 wrote:What's so bad about Jeb Bush?
Not sure this thread can support that many pages of replies.....

Lets look at the bloodline.

From G.W.

"It's your money. You paid for it." George W Bush, LaCrosse, Wis., Oct. 18, 2000

"Natural gas is hemispheric. I like to call it hemispheric in nature because it is a product that we can find in our neighborhoods." George W Bush, Austin, Texas, Dec. 20, 2000

"It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it." George W Bush, Reuters, May 5, 2000

"They misunderestimated me." George W Bush, Bentonville, Ark., Nov. 6, 2000

Bush: "I talked to my little brother, Jeb - I haven't told this to many people. But he's the governor of - I shouldn't call him my little brother - my brother, Jeb, the great Governor of Texas."
Jim Lehrer: "Florida."
Bush: "Florida. The state of the Florida."
News Hour With Jim Lehrer, PBS, 27th April 2000

"It is clear our nation is reliant upon big foreign oil. More and more of our imports come from overseas." George W Bush, Beaverton, Oregon, 25th September 2000

"After all, religion has been around a lot longer than Darwinism." George, September 2000

"They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." George W Bush, during a debate in St. Charles, Mo., Nov. 2, 2000
Jeb, Not George W.

Jeb.

C'mon silly! :lol:

TheRoyalCounty

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

billw2 wrote:Carter was a HORRIBLE President, but he's turned out to be a fantastic Ambassador/Statesman in retirement.
I had the great pleasure and honour to meet Jimmy Carter on a flight into Atlanta, while I can't speak from experience of his presidency I will say he had presence and left a lasting impression on me.

For Trump, on the other hand, I have nothing but contempt.
Down the 'corridor of uncertainty'

stallzer

Post by stallzer »

billw2 wrote:Jeb.
He just seems like the "Tommy Boy" of the Bush family. If history taught us anything it's that the Bush family tree branches certainly get weaker with each generation.
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."

ottawasteve

Post by ottawasteve »

The obvious question that will come up in this run for the presidency is whether he would he agrees with his brother having invaded Iraq. He answers so far include:

“I would have, and so would have Hillary Clinton, and so would have almost everybody that was confronted with the intelligence they got. In retrospect the intelligence that everybody saw, that the world saw, not just the United States, was faulty. And in retrospect once we invaded and took out Saddam Hussein, we didn’t focus on security first.”

and

"Yeah, I don't know what that decision would've been. That's a hypothetical but the simple fact was mistakes were made, as they always are in life and foreign policy. So we need to learn from the past to make sure we're strong and secure going forward."

Mealy-mouthed nonsense, no honesty or character there. Maybe not wanting to badmouth his chump brother, but as such unqualified to control a nuclear arsenal.

billw2

Post by billw2 »

He's right.

Hillary was one of the biggest Hawks on invading Iraq since the end of the first gulf war.

Her position on Iraq is extremely well documented prior to the invasion.

billw2

Post by billw2 »

stallzer wrote:
billw2 wrote:Jeb.
He just seems like the "Tommy Boy" of the Bush family. If history taught us anything it's that the Bush family tree branches certainly get weaker with each generation.
"Seems like" isn't a reason to like or dislike him. I lived in Florida when he was governor and he did a very good job, suggest you read even the Wikipedia article on him; you'd be surprised.

I've met the guy and he's very intelligent and well spoken.

ewen s
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by ewen s »

billw2 wrote:"Seems like" isn't a reason to like or dislike him.
Good enough for me. Liking or disliking is an emotional response and doesn't require reasoning.

vikingeck

Post by vikingeck »

Mr Mouth shoots himself in the foot!

Big Donald 's 16 June Speech slagging Mexico for sending drugs and rapists (sic) into the USA has apparently had repercussions, Two TV stations have cancelled their connection to Miss USA & Miss Universe. NBC & Univision

Univision is dropping the Miss USA pageant and says it will cut all business ties with Donald Trump over comments he made about Mexican immigrants.
Donald Trump's tirade on Mexico's 'drugs and rapists' outrages US Latinos.........

The network said on Thursday it will not air the July pageant and has ended its business relationship with the Miss Universe Organization, which produces the Miss USA pageant, due to what it called “insulting remarks about Mexican immigrants” by Trump, a part owner of Miss Universe.

During his presidential campaign kick off speech last week, Trump accused Latino immigrants of bringing drugs, crime and rapists to the US. He called for building a wall along the southern border of the US.

Trump says he was only criticizing US policies concerning Mexico, not its people. He says Univision is in default of a five-year contract.

The Guardian 30 June

So Donald "I 'm Rich" ( quote) sues for $500 million.

Macy's has decided to pull all Trump Merchandise from its New York Store .

Is this the way to win hearts & minds as Presidential candidate ?

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Only in America could such a Froot Loop even THINK of running for the top job!

tooler

Post by tooler »

Global Administrator wrote:Only in America could such a Froot Loop even THINK of running for the top job!
Why? We have a Fruit Loop running things now.

pookie9121

Post by pookie9121 »

Global Administrator wrote:Only in America could such a Froot Loop even THINK of running for the top job!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Enjoy every minute

billw2

Post by billw2 »

tooler wrote:
That's unfair to Froot Loops.

maszki

Post by maszki »

joelk wrote:Well this one is really entertaining.

Only one good piece of news in all this for the Republican Party: they have finally found a plausible argument against the Theory of Evolution...

Cheers,
Joel.

Good to see that you have an open mind to alternatives opinions

maszki

Post by maszki »

Ok, I have been blessed with the anti-US Diploma.

I do not deny that... I have my reasons

So Trump is an arsehole.... according to some posters

But Trump is a hero... he challenges the neo-cons who dominate the US geo-political agenda

He proclaims that Mexican immigration is a problem? Do you not read the news from Europe and Australia?

Get a life.

stallzer

Post by stallzer »

Trump certainly isn't the most laughable Presidential hopeful in our history. The 1988 & 1992 primaries saw the likes of one time Ku Klux Klan grand wizard David Duke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Duke

tooler

Post by tooler »

billw2 wrote:
tooler wrote:
That's unfair to Froot Loops.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

No being American, the fine points of your wildlife elude me .. is that wig made from Racoon - or skunk... or Gopher fur? :idea: :idea: :idea:

gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

vikingeck wrote:So Donald "I'm Rich" (quote) sues for $500 million.

Macy's has decided to pull all Trump Merchandise from its New York Store .

Is this the way to win hearts & minds as Presidential candidate ?
No, but I'll bet he makes money on the deal. :wink:

vikingeck

Post by vikingeck »

maszki wrote:
But Trump is a hero... he challenges the neo-cons who dominate the US geo-political agenda

Nice sounding political sound bite , but complete jargon .

What does this actually mean?????

stallzer

Post by stallzer »

vikingeck wrote:What does this actually mean?????

Interpretation is - I hate America.

Return to “'The Water Cooler' - A relaxing and FUN place to let off some steam ......”