INDIA FFC - 1929 FIRST FLIGHT Covers etc, info needed.

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

john_udt
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

INDIA FFC - 1929 FIRST FLIGHT Covers etc, info needed.

Post by john_udt »

Dear All,

I had bought couple of India FIRST FLIGHT Covers on ebay last week from an Australian seller.

Looking for more details on these covers ..

INDIA 1929 FFC FIRST FLIGHT CITY OF BAGDAD AIR LINEN ,ONLY 46 FLOWN ,
SIGN BY S. SMITH .

Costing Me : US $201.50

2, INDIA 1929 FFC FIRST FLIGHT VIA BAGHDAD GAZA ALEXANDRIA SAROMKA BUDAPEST VIENNA COLON ONLY 21 FLOWN , SIGN BY S SMITH

Costing Me : US $255.00

3 , INDIA 1931 FFC FIRST FLIGHT CALCUTTA DELHI AUSTRALIA ENGLAND AAMC 188z 123 FLOWN

Costing Me : US $92.00

Thanks,
Regards,
John

Joy Daschaudhuri
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: INDIA FFC - FIRST FLIGHT Covers

Post by Joy Daschaudhuri »

john_udt wrote: Dear All,
Looking for more details on these covers.
Costing Me : US $201.50

Thanks,
Regards,
John
This cover was evidently sent by the 'Father of Indian Rocket Mail' Stephen Hector Taylor-Smith (1891–1951) as the handwrtiting in the address panel is typical of him.

Most of Smith's airmail covers were mailed from the Indian Airmail Society, housed at his home at 25 Elliot Road, Kolkata which came under the Park Street HPO which cancelled the stamps on this cover.

The Kolkata GPO letter No. T.7-112 (III) gave sanction to Smith to privately issue printed airmail envelopes.

The rouletted AIR MAIL etiquette was introduced in 1928.

It may be mentioned that following the Postal Notice 'Introduction of Airmail Service between Dilli and Karachi' dt. December 17,1929, Dilli–Karachi airmail service was also started by Indian State Air Service from December 30,1929 but those first flight covers are relatively cheaper.

Joy Daschaudhuri

john_udt wrote: Costing Me : US $255.00

This again was sent by Stephen Smith.

The Karachi–Croydon, England airmail service of Imperial Airways was started on March 30,1929.

The postage for India to England airmail for 14.18gm (½oz) weight was 8A which included 6A air fee and 2A surface rate from March 30,1929 though the Postal Notice regarding 'Karachi–London Airmail Service Availibility and Postage Rates' was issued later on April 1,1929.

Joy Daschaudhuri

john_udt wrote: Costing Me : US $92.00

This cover was borne by the City of Karachi G-AARY airplane flown from Sittwe, Myanmar by Cap. Attwood as part of the Melbourne to London First Experimental Return Flight of Imperial Airways started on April 23,1931.

john_udt

Post by john_udt »

Hi Joy ,

Thank You for posting these detiled information on these First Flight Cover’s and pointing about the Smith signature on the cover address.

How do we know the that only 46, 21 or 123 cover’s where flown during these First Flight ,can you shed some light on this?

Thanks,
Regards,
John

Bennich
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Re: INDIA FFC - FIRST FLIGHT Covers, info needed.

Post by Bennich »

Hi All,

I have a similar Stephen Smith flight cover, from Karachi to Croydon (which was the airport for London at the time).

In this case he addressed it to himself, which he was prone to do, and it would appear then affixed a ½d PUC (9th UPU) stamp for good measure. The first day of issue for this was the 10th May 1929, but it is not clear what the date in May is here.

Since we are on the subject of Smith (there is a whole chapter on him in Jal Cooper's 'Stamps of India'), I also attach one of his Rocketgrams, this one for the Coronation, and an earlier shore to ship signed rocket label. The coronation was that of King George VI, but the cover uses stamps of his late father, King George V. A picture of Smith is included.

The final cover is a 1931 first flight from Karachi to Cape Town, about which I know little.

All best, B

'
1st flight1.jpg
1st flight.jpg
smith.JPG
S Smith3.jpg
S Smith2.jpg
S Smith1.jpg
S Smith.jpg

Joy Daschaudhuri

Re: India’s Forgotten Rocket Pioneer Stephen H Smith From Pigeon Mail to Rocket Mail

Bennich wrote:
03 Jul 2020 00:29
Hi All,

Since we are on the subject of Smith (there is a whole chapter on him in Jal Cooper's 'Stamps of India')…

All best, B
A 239pp. book on the life and works of Stephen Hector Taylor-Smith (1891–1951) has recently been published on Apr 7,2020.
IMG_20200702_193244.jpg
India’s Forgotten Rocket Pioneer Stephen H Smith From Pigeon Mail to Rocket Mail
Gurbir Sinh.
Astrotalkuk Publications, Rochdale, England 2020

Bennich

Re: INDIA FFC - 1929 FIRST FLIGHT Covers etc, info needed.

Post by Bennich »

Hello Joy,

Thanks for this info. It's not over-priced, for once. One for the Christmas present list!

All best,

Ben

Joy Daschaudhuri

Re: First Night Rocket Firing Experiment of Stephen Smith on Dec 17,1934

Bennich wrote:
03 Jul 2020 00:29
I also attach an earlier shore to ship signed rocket label.
IMG_20200703_220716.jpg
This Shore to Ship. By Rocket vignette was prepared for use on the covers carried in the Rocket Nos. 21 & 22 (manufactured by Oriental Fireworks Company, Kolkata) in the First Night Rocket Firing Experiment of Stephen Smith on Dec 17,1934.

Both the rockets were fired at the direction North to South from the shore of Sagar Island (21.7269°N 88.1096°E), near the Semaphore Station, towards sea, aimed at the mail steamer SS Kutsang of Indo-China Steam Navigation Company, anchored ~1.37km from the shore.
SS Kutsang
SS Kutsang
Rocket No. 21 was fired at 8.40 p.m. but covered only 229m distance and Rocket No. 22 was fired 5 minutes later, which covered 423m, both plunging into the sea as the rockets were fired against the wind direction. So, the rockets had to be picked up from the sea by a country boat.

Total 260 covers were flown in the two rockets and all were salvaged from the sea and later were sent to Kolkata by survey steamer SS Frederick Dumayne.

Only 500 Shore to Ship. By Rocket vignettes were prepared by Smith for the experiment on Dec 17,1934, of which 260 were used on cover.

Here is an example of the same vignette used on a rocketgram (Cooper 7a) containing a miniature page from The Evening Chronicle newspaper, which was one of the 110 such covers containing miniature pages from different newspapers, carried in the Rocket No. 22 on Dec 17,1934 at 8.45 p.m.
321773_1.jpg
Ref. From the Diary of Stephen Smith
Ed. Devkinandan Kanhailal Jatiya.
Philatelic Congress of India, New Dilli 1980
First Night Firing from Shore to Ship; pp.18-9

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”