Bargains picked up from Online Auctions

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Bargains picked up from Online Auctions

Post by gavin-h »

There's a lot of criticism of ebay and other online auctions - mostly completely justified, but I thought I'd start a thread to show some of the bargain buys that can be picked up.

For this thread, I think it's better NOT to name the sellers - just an illustration of the lot and why you got a "winner" :idea:

I'll start with this one:

As Glen is fond of saying, "Knowledge is Power".

Picked up off Ebay this week for less than $10 US. This is the seller's picture, and contains all the information needed in some Scandinavan language:

Saxony 1945 - Germany, Soviet Zone
Catalogue No - Michel 91y indicating inverted watermark
Constant Flaw "X" - missing tip of tree at left hand side (bottom left stamp, sheet position 19)
Valued at 400 Euro

All the information needed is there - and correct, but this had a starting bid of $9.99...

...and nobody else put in a bid :shock:

PeterS
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Re: Bargains picked up from Online Auctions

Post by PeterS »

I have posted this elsewhere, but happy to post it again. There were 2 CTO 3d GV OS overprints in the lot, described as 2 different shades.

In reality, this stamp is a very good example of a 'tin shed' flaw. Gum has adhered to the printing face of the paper and, when it was washed, has floated off teh surface. This has taken the print that was made over the gum with it.

This is a very late example (printed in 1933) and it was so extensive that I took a gamble and paid US$4.95 for the item. The images were poor and the seller obviously didn't know what he had. Worth up to A$100.
Peter
Hawthorn - AFL Premiers 1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015

traralgon3844
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by traralgon3844 »

I have posted this previously as well as:

Who is my favourite eBay dealer???????

The one who recently listed this in the U.K. as a '2002 Assention Medallion Cover'

It landed in my letter box for $25.

The value (In excess of $200) I'm told comes from the number produced; 35,000 which appears to make it a scarce coin. Although they are all in the 'collector' maket. Likewise with the other expensive PNC's, it is really the coin collectors who are after them. With one of the Army/ANZAC covers the $1 coin on the cover has a different issue date to the normally circulated coin. Hence it is scarce.
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

cyber
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Re: Bargains picked up from Online

Post by cyber »

Good day,

gavin-h wrote:
Picked up off Ebay this week for less than $10 US. This is the seller's picture, and contains all the information needed in some Scandinavan language:

Saxony 1945 - Germany, Soviet Zone
Catalogue No - Michel 91y indicating inverted watermark
Constant Flaw "X" - missing tip of tree at left hand side (bottom left stamp, sheet position 19)
Valued at 400 Euro

All the information needed is there - and correct, but this had a starting bid of $9.99...

...and nobody else put in a bid :shock:
I don't like to be the party pooper, but given the vast amount of fake cancels on these issues (due to the fact that used ones are ten times more expensive than mint ones) I doubt that this one would get a clean cert :( . The Michel prices are only for stamps with BPP certs; the "Merseburg Gebühr bezahlt" cancel is highly suspect, as can also be seen on the webpage of Dr. Jasch, one of the German BPP experts for these issues:

http://www.dr-michael-jasch.de/pruefnews2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry to be the bearer of (possibly) bad news :(

Michael
Best regards
Michael
Looking for "Shilling Violet" journal, Dec. 2012 issue

covers1949
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by covers1949 »

THIS IS A WIDE WORLD COVER[BOTTOM ONE] OF THE 1949 ROYAL VISIT THAT DID NOT HAPPEN AND MOST WERE DESTROYED, ALTHOUGH NOT POSTMARKED IT'S THE CACHET THAT IS COLLECTIBLE, THE LAST ONE ON E-BAY WENT FOR $225 I BOUGHT THIS FOR $5 INCLUDING POSTAGE THERE WAS ONLY ONE OTHER BID SO BARGAINS CAN BE BOUGHT ON E-BAY ENJOY

COVERS1949

admin
Site Administrator
Location: That's on a need to know basis - and YOU do not need to know!

Post by admin »

covers1949 wrote:
THIS IS A WIDE WORLD COVER[BOTTOM ONE] OF THE 1949 ROYAL VISIT THAT DID NOT HAPPEN AND MOST WERE DESTROYED, ALTHOUGH NOT POSTMARKED IT'S THE CACHET THAT IS COLLECTIBLE
What dill licked on the 1954 visit stamp?

covers1949

Post by covers1949 »

Yes that is a pity but I can steam that off, it's the cachet that is important to me to make my Wide World cachet collection complete, they seem to be scarcer use as a FDC of issues from 1950 onwards I have only seen 3 used as FDC's and 7 unused in the last 4 years of searching out Wide World covers.

If anyone out there have any of this type of WW cover they could let me know for my records of Wide World cachets,the one that sold for $225 was used as a FDC the unused ones would not be worth any where near that, all the best Roland

ozstamps
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by ozstamps »

covers1949 talking to Frank Pauer yesterday, who has Australia's largest FDC collection by far, he tells me he has 2 mint and 3 early 1950s FDC where dealer Peter Stalley just used up the "useless" covers for whatever took his fancy.

Frank says they will be in his Cat for $250 each.

The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by The Pom »

ozstamps wrote:
Frank says they will be in his Cat for $250 each.
$500 by the time it comes out.........
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.

covers1949

Post by covers1949 »

$500 by the time it comes out.
Chris,
I shall ask him what ever happen to that Catalog when I see him at the Melbourne Stamp Show in July I'm going over with Arthur B AND Bob P I'm Exhibiting my Robert Haslem Covers there.

Oz stamps, Thanks for that info on the stalleys cover $250 I would not have thought a cover not post marked would be worth as much as one used as a FDC I can't use it in my Wide World Exhibit but it will look good in my South Australian Cachet Makers Exhibit.

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

Last I heard there were technical issues with it.

sherro
Lifetime Suspension
Lifetime Suspension

Post by sherro »

I posted this in the "Nice Covers" thread as well.

Here's proof, if any were needed, that covers don't have to be old to be brilliant!

I bought this for the very scarce on cover K1 July 1993 imprint Bird of Paradise. The added bonuses were SG 555, K1 ship and SG732 10t on 35t Emergency overprint. Not forgetting genuine registered commercial usage from a small post office (Mendi) to an unusual destination (Jersey).

The big surprise when I got the cover was the postmark. The date is 23 Sep 94, or a full 10 days before SG732 was issued, according to SG and ASC, so possibly a new discovery.

Current retail for the stamps is >$100. The cover cost me $3.

Always looking for KGV British Commonwealth, mint, used, covers, anything

covers1949

Post by covers1949 »

That is a very nice cover and I just love the 1990's PNG Bird/overprinted series on Commercial covers and they are very hard to find and a bargain for $3.

I have reloaded the 1952 Wide World Royal Visit cover the date was wrong it was not 1949 it was 1952.

traralgon3844

Post by traralgon3844 »

I just picked these up on ebay.

I just had to have them. Saw them with a few minutes to go and couldn't do any research. I figured they had to be worth $5 a cover.

Cost: $87.99

Listed as: 16 1934 COVERS.

Described as: 16 COVERS FROM THE "6th PHILATELIC EXIBITION (sic) IN MELBOURNE" .SOME REGISTERED,WITH BLACK AND RED LABELS AND AIRMAILS,VALUABLE CARDS IN QUANTITY,AND ALL IN EXCELLENT CONDITION.

BARGAIN? YES/NO.
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

sherro
Lifetime Suspension
Lifetime Suspension

Post by sherro »

Absolutely!
Always looking for KGV British Commonwealth, mint, used, covers, anything

Philanthropist

Post by Philanthropist »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: in other words, YES

swoosh
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by swoosh »

Paul ,
If they are in excellent condition as you say,
then its honestly one of the better buys I have seen for a long time.
Well done.

Swoosh

pandadog28
Suspended Member

Post by pandadog28 »

Couldnt have gone to a more deserving person here. :D

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

covers1949 wrote:THIS IS A WIDE WORLD COVER[BOTTOM ONE] OF THE 1949 ROYAL VISIT THAT DID NOT HAPPEN AND MOST WERE DESTROYED, ALTHOUGH NOT POSTMARKED IT'S THE CACHET THAT IS COLLECTIBLE, THE LAST ONE ON E-BAY WENT FOR $225 I BOUGHT THIS FOR $5 INCLUDING POSTAGE THERE WAS ONLY ONE OTHER BID SO BARGAINS CAN BE BOUGHT ON E-BAY ENJOY

COVERS1949
MOD COMMENT

Roland,
Please don't ever delete Photobucket images, the Board becomes meaningless when images are deleted. This is a Board Policy
Cheers
Chris

Cooky
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Cooky »

I hadn't seen this before, but gather it must be quite common as it sold for $8.06?

https://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=280345527871

The description was:
Papua New Guinea, SG751b in pair with 752. Note there is no overprint on the left stamps

Was it a bargain or overpriced?

brissypete
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by brissypete »

Cooky wrote:I hadn't seen this before, but gather it must be quite common as it sold for $8.06?

https://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=280345527871

The description was:
Papua New Guinea, SG751b in pair with 752. Note there is no overprint on the left stamps

Was it a bargain or overpriced?
Well these are usually listed as part of a corner block of 9 or 12 for around $60.
Collector and Part Time Dealer (Member IPDA)website and online store - http://www.pwstamps.com.au - Australia & World Stamps & Covers, Discounted Catalogues & Accessories

Cooky

Post by Cooky »

Thanks mate.

I don't have any info on PNG stamps, so it's great that we have someone here that can answer questions. :)

Pod
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Pod »

Here's my recent eBay 'bargain' ....$1.55 plust postage.

What do you think?

The stamp has scrubbed up really well since I scanned this...

Cheers - Matt

josto
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by josto »

Hi!

This is what I found on ebay! It`s a 2sh brown 3rd wmk inverted NWPI with a listed flaw. It`s the flaw: "break in left frame near top". I don`t know how to find out the value for flaws on NWPI overprinted issues, the normal stamp is SG 97 with cat. value of 30 pound, but I think with the flaw the 8 US$ were a bargain. Your opinions? Any value idea?

Thanks

Pod

Post by Pod »

Nice stamp!..and with WM inverted.

PeterS

Post by PeterS »

Pod wrote:Nice stamp!..and with WM inverted.
Wmk Inverted is very common for this stamp O/P NWPI. If it DIDN'T have the overprint it would be worth over A$2,000.
Peter
Hawthorn - AFL Premiers 1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015

Pod

Post by Pod »

Hi Peter - what about the 'inverted' plus 'flaw' combination - wouldn't that be scarcer?

Cheers - M

PeterS

Post by PeterS »

Pod wrote:Hi Peter - what about the 'inverted' plus 'flaw' combination - wouldn't that be scarcer?

Cheers - M
Certainly, I was merely pointing out that the majority of the inverted wmk stamps for this issue were overprinted NWPI, hence the disparity in price.

I am certainly not saying it isn't a nice stamp to have. :)
Peter

Pod

Post by Pod »

Hi Peter - on 'the scale' would this be a reasonably scarce stamp combination? Is there a way of determining this relative to stamps where either one flaw or the other occurs on its own?

Cheers - Matt

norvic

Post by norvic »

My best buy from eBay in the last year (October) was a bulk lot of 100 GB international airmail booklets each containing 4 of this worldwide stamp:
Total face value £488.

They were properly described and like most GB postage there were quite a few bids. The seller started it low, but in the description mistakenly calculated the face value on the basis of the 40gr Europe stamp (fv 72p each), thus understating it by £200. I guess some buyers didn't understand why they lost out when the bidding went up to £230, but it was useful half-price postage. I still have more than half of them, and now they're worth £1.35 each up from £1.22. This has helped me to keep my shipping costs down despite postage rates going up each year.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

PeterS

Post by PeterS »

Pod wrote:Hi Peter - on 'the scale' would this be a reasonably scarce stamp combination? Is there a way of determining this relative to stamps where either one flaw or the other occurs on its own?

Cheers - Matt
Matt, the error occurred once on every sheet of 120 stamps on the specific plate. From memory there were 2 plates, so exists once in every 240 stamps.

The majority of 2/- Brown Third WMK Roos that were printed with inverted WMK were detected before issue and it was decided to use these for NWPI issue. That is why inverted WMK is so scarce without the overprint (I remember the late Simon Dunkerley mentioning that he had only ever seen one mint example, in the Gray sale).

I don't have to hand a reference for numbers issued, but there will probably be some dozens of this variety. How many survive is anybodies guess. It is, though, a case of supply and demand. In most cases, supply of NWPI stamps pretty much satisfy demand and then some. This keeps the prices lower than they might reasonably be expected to be, all else being equal.
Peter

figmente

Post by figmente »

An ebay bargain, from rather long ago, which I find memorable was a set of the Greenland America overprint issue from a major ebay retailer (Anthonys) where the title and price reflected just the basic set, but the picture and actual included the "wrong color" varieties.

Wolfgang
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by Wolfgang »

figmente wrote:An ebay bargain, from rather long ago, which I find memorable was a set of the Greenland America overprint issue from a major ebay retailer (Anthonys) where the title and price reflected just the basic set, but the picture and actual included the "wrong color" varieties.
Just show us a picture of your buy!
Papua New Guinea stamps and postal history: https://www.i-ng.org
I am always interested in buying commercial mail from PNG.

Pod

Post by Pod »

I recently picked this up in a lot of mixed pre-decimal and decimal Australian stamps from a UK auction house that occassionally features on eBay. I bought the lot to pillage for the Western Australian material...in fact some of the stuff is featured on another Stampboards thread to swap. Amongst this were the usual bits and bobs...KGVs, roos etc.

One KGV caught my eye - BW ACSC 85 (12) l Cracked Electro.

It's not a perfect stamp - but I figure I got it for 'free'...so you can't do better than that. :D

Cheers - Matt

woodster
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by woodster »

PeterS wrote:
The majority of 2/- Brown Third WMK Roos that were printed with inverted WMK were detected before issue and it was decided to use these for NWPI issue. That is why inverted WMK is so scarce without the overprint (I remember the late Simon Dunkerley mentioning that he had only ever seen one mint example, in the Gray sale).
Hi Peter,
This must be number 2 then :D
Picked from a bulk lot of roos/KGV for about $200.

PeterS

Post by PeterS »

woodster wrote:
PeterS wrote:
Hi Peter,
This must be number 2 then :D
Picked from a bulk lot of roos/KGV for about $200.

Pity about the condition but still a very scarce stamp. A fine mint copy catalogues at $2,500.

Is that a thin middle left?
Peter

woodster

Post by woodster »

unfortunately it is a thin (not as bad as the scan shows) and I have often wondered how much this would discount the value.
I would imagine that if there were few copies recorded, a discount of 70-80% of cat may be a fair estimate. :?:

Still, that would make it a $500 item and who would pay that for a thinned item :!:

This leads to an interesting question: for arguments sake, if there were only 3 known copies of a particular item, would someone pay full CV for a damaged item, knowing that to complete a particular collection, they may never come across the item again?

For example, this 3rd W/M used monogram pair, upper perfs on the left stamp have been mowed a bit and the monogram piece has torn lower right perf but how often do you come across a used monogram pair?

traralgon3844

Post by traralgon3844 »

I paid $13.50 for these. Item number: 330338020794

https://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=330338020794" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone know why I consider it a bargain???? :D

Diver Pete

Post by Diver Pete »

You've got me Paul! :shock:

There is obviously someone here that you have spotted that I cannot see (or know) :?

And the answer is?
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge........

quicksingle
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by quicksingle »

traralgon3844 wrote:I just picked these up on ebay.

I just had to have them. Saw them with a few minutes to go and couldn't do any research. I figured they had to be worth $5 a cover.

Cost: $87.99

Listed as: 16 1934 COVERS.

Described as: 16 COVERS FROM THE "6th PHILATELIC EXIBITION (sic) IN MELBOURNE" .SOME REGISTERED,WITH BLACK AND RED LABELS AND AIRMAILS,VALUABLE CARDS IN QUANTITY,AND ALL IN EXCELLENT CONDITION.

BARGAIN? YES/NO.

You got a bargin and outbid me in the process
regards
Neill
Neill - Always looking for Australian PTPO covers

traralgon3844

Post by traralgon3844 »

Diver Pete wrote:You've got me Paul! :shock:

There is obviously someone here that you have spotted that I cannot see (or know) :?

And the answer is?

Try and get the $1 International used.

Note the transparent nature of the blue international bar.

It is somewhat of an emergency overprint. I have had someone say they would be happy to pay $50 for one. I have 2 Used. Now to get one on cover.

Pod

Post by Pod »

Here's another - reasonable pickup from Delcampe, a 1d Green KGV Die II for Euro 0.3 !!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Now, that's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers - Matt

Cooky

Post by Cooky »

Picked this one up for $15, bit dodgy on the end, but well worth $15.

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

I picked this FDC up a few weeks ago. It's the third known example of this design.

0.75 Euro + postage.

Cooky

Post by Cooky »

Nice one Pom. I've never seen that cover before.

blueparrot
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by blueparrot »

...... I am looking for 1999 - date complete sets (quantities ok) in not so perfect cancelled stamps of England. I am not looking to pay high prices.

Please make some offers...

Blue Parrot.

mike@catcottage.nl
money by PayPall.
Gibbons catalogs used.

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

Hi Blue Parrot,
This thread is about bargains people have bought. Your request would be better placed in this section:
http://www.stampboards.com/viewforum.php?f=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers
Chris

blueparrot

Post by blueparrot »

Hello The Pom,

Yes I see that I made an error. Sorry. Will my age protect me whatever comes along as ..... I guess not.

Is there an easy way to move everything to a new location?

I guess that there must be. I take my life into my hands and I shall try.
If I fail..... send flowers to mike [at] catcottage.nl

Blue Parrot

blueparrot

Post by blueparrot »

Hello again, The Pom,

I cant find away to move him, so I will rewrite him in a better spot.

But still, I then need to delete this.....
Blue Parrot
http://www.stampboards.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=21&t=12224#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

plsllvn

Post by plsllvn »

Just receive my recent ebay purchase today and was pleasantly surprised to see this in the mix.
Second from the right- Vampire bite variety ( I hope)!!
Not bad for $10
Paul

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”