Has anyone here had any weird stamp related dreams?

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

rabbit1
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Has anyone here had any weird stamp related dreams?

Post by rabbit1 »

Has anyone had any weird stamp related dreams?

I did the other day. I found myself in Canada ( a country I had never visited) for some reason at a University with a name starting with the letter 'M'.

I was fishing through peoples waste paper baskets for used stamps and finding plenty. However although it felt current it must have been a period years ago.

Bizarre!

FYI I am a normal person, just that I collect stamps.....

Rabbit 1

thestamp
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: Stamp related dreams

Post by thestamp »

I have had this dream, more than once:
I'm throwing my garbage into the garbage bin along a road near my house and... what do I see inside the bin? A stamp album... full of stamps... mmmh

mcgooley
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by mcgooley »

I walk through an abandoned house and find myself in a room surrounded by post office paraphernalia... I hate waking up :cry:
FORESTS OLD, PASTURES NEW
"Truth is stranger than Fiction, but that is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." MARK TWAIN

thestamp

Post by thestamp »

I have also had this dream about stamps: I am in a library sitting at a table and I open a thick old book - as I turn the pages to my surprise I find stamps between a page and the next one and I think: shall I take them? would it be a theft if I took them? they are not part of the book, actually, nobody would have anything to say if I did it, but I can't take them because I'm afraid it would be illegal, as the book belongs to the library after all, not to me, but nobody would ever take this book and, even if they did, they wouldn't probably be interested in stamps, as the book subject has nothing to do with stamps... the dream goes on with more and more pages, more and more stamps, usually common ones, but I don't remember actually taking the stamps and leaving the library.
What do you think? shall I take or leave them? :lol:

steevh

Post by steevh »

I'm always having stamp-related dreams.

I only wish I could own the stamps that I seem to have while asleep!

And the other thing I find is that the design of my dream stamps is so much better than most real stamps -- lots of great sets along the lines of classic British Commonwealth, but a much wider range of colors and color combinations. Fascinating overprints, 'special express postage due' issues etc etc.

The only thing I hate is that normally I'm trying to sort through all this stuff with a plane to catch only hours away.

Another bad dream is the auction lots that I get outbid on.

fromdownunder
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by fromdownunder »

I occasionally dream about going into stamp shops. Perhaps not unusual, but the Stamp shops I go into never existed in real life, although the addresses and locations are in Melbourne where I worked for over 30 years.

Norm
Geelong, VFA Premiers 1878, 1879, 1800, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1886, AFL Premiers 1925, 1931, 1937, 1951, 1952, 1963, 2007, 2009, 2011, .

Greaden
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by Greaden »

I am also a gardener, and in my dreams I often mix up stamps and plants. When I was working on distinguishing between French imperforate Ceres stamps from 1849, from the French colonies, and from the provisional government in Bordeaux, I had a dream that it was all very simple because each grew from a separate mountain laurel bush.

steevh

Post by steevh »

Greaden wrote:I am also a gardener, and in my dreams I often mix up stamps and plants. When I was working on distinguishing between French imperforate Ceres stamps from 1849, from the French colonies, and from the provisional government in Bordeaux, I had a dream that it was all very simple because each grew from a separate mountain laurel bush.
Thank god I haven't started dreaming about different perfs and watermarks.

Matenaser
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Matenaser »

thestamp wrote:I have also had this dream about stamps: I am in a library sitting at a table and I open a thick old book - as I turn the pages to my surprise I find stamps between a page and the next one and I think: shall I take them? would it be a theft if I took them? they are not part of the book, actually, nobody would have anything to say if I did it, but I can't take them because I'm afraid it would be illegal, as the book belongs to the library after all, not to me, but nobody would ever take this book and, even if they did, they wouldn't probably be interested in stamps, as the book subject has nothing to do with stamps... the dream goes on with more and more pages, more and more stamps, usually common ones, but I don't remember actually taking the stamps and leaving the library.
What do you think? shall I take or leave them? :lol:
I had a similar experience some years ago, "in real life". I was flipping through a book at my local second-hand bookshop, and I found an aerogramme dating from the 50's, tucked between two pages of the book. I grabbed it, reasoning that it did not belong to the book, and almost any potential buyer – even the shop owner, had he noticed it – would certainly have tossed it. As a matter of fact, I visit the store several times a year, so that I can't remember whether I bought something this particular time or not.

steevh

Post by steevh »

I had another stamp dream last night.

I was sitting an exam, that involved designing Russian stamps. A few with Lenin, of course. But what made it really tricky was that the questions were all in Russian and I had to write my answers in Russian, too! Nightmare, more like.

But I do like the old Russian stamps.

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

I sometimes dream I am on the RM stamp committee panel thing and I give them a telling off for not using commemoratives sending the minutes/discussion papers to the members, and also for the lack of handy Machins to use with first class for international mail (or even to make it up to large) - perhaps an equivalent to additional ounce penguins or butterfly surcharge (as these were used on post to me with 2 or 1 forever respectively) and named as such.

Another dream is a sequel to Never Mail An Elephant - on Amazon, look inside.
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I blog here. I also have a snailmail forum.

gunners100
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by gunners100 »

I have had lots of dreams about my wife going balistic over the amount i spend on stamps! :lol:

OldDuffer1
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by OldDuffer1 »

gunners100 wrote:I have had lots of dreams about my wife going balistic over the amount i spend on stamps! :lol:
That's not a dream - that's reality! Perhaps you need to see someone about this! :D :D

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

Last night I had a dream with Torsten Weller in it (Aussie stamp dealer). I was looking through his stock - he had some amazing large mint blocks of KGV Heads & Roos.
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.

steevh

Post by steevh »

Had a few more stamp dreams.

I've noticed that the stamps in my dreams are never real stamps, but imaginary ones, but that they are always from real countries.

What would Freud have made of that?

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

I was thinking of that recent thread about custom movies... and last night, I had a strange dream - someone was being covered in postage stamps.... I don't think they were self-adhesive.
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I blog here. I also have a snailmail forum.

capetriangle
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by capetriangle »

OldDuffer1 wrote:
gunners100 wrote:I have had lots of dreams about my wife going balistic over the amount i spend on stamps! :lol:
That's not a dream - that's reality! Perhaps you need to see someone about this! :D :D
The mistake is making any disclosure whatsoever!

Richard Debney

capetriangle

Post by capetriangle »

All concerned

In late 1998, my now ex-wife Susan once caught me looking at an album of Nineteenth Century European stamps, inherited from my late father.

"Oh Richard, are those our stamps," she said.

Now this is the stuff of nightmares, rather than merely dreams.

Kindest regards

Richard Debney

steevh

Post by steevh »

capetriangle wrote:All concerned

In late 1998, my now ex-wife Susan once caught me looking at an album of Nineteenth Century European stamps, inherited from my late father.

Kindest regards

Richard Debney
Did the judge consider that sufficient grounds for the divorce?

capetriangle

Post by capetriangle »

steevh wrote:
capetriangle wrote:All concerned

Kindest regards

Richard Debney
Did the judge consider that sufficient grounds for the divorce?
Thankfully my stamps never figured in the divorces.

Yes my ex and I were divorced twice, once in California and once in New York. I used to refer to the marriages as the triumph of hope over experience and myself as a "bicoastal throwback."

Kindest regards

Richard

steevh

Post by steevh »

Another stamp dream:

I was at some kind of stamp fair, and had just bought a large bag of off-paper kiloware for £10-20.

Some guy spotted some stuff in it he liked, and asked if he could buy these stamps off me. I agreed, and sat there while he went through the bag pulling out all the stamps of Malta, including many copies of a particular Edward VII stamp I'd never seen before.
He asked me how much I wanted for them, and I told him to offer me what he thought was right. He offered me £70.

I was very happy with this, but thought I'd better make sure I wasn't losing out, so borrowed a catalogue to check them.
But I couldnt find these stamps.
"They're revenues," the guy explained. "This sixpence stamp was the standard tax on a sack of potatoes."

hatter
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by hatter »

Isn't there something sad . . about DREAMING about stamps ?

:roll:
Hatter

steevh

Post by steevh »

hatter wrote:Isn't there something sad . . about DREAMING about stamps ?

:roll:
Only if you're a Freudian, who sees dreams as wish fulfillment and dreams of a collection he can never have.

I'm sure there are much worse things to be dreaming about.

capetriangle

Post by capetriangle »

At Oxford University the students refer to the town "of dreaming spires," at Cambridge University the students refer to the town "of perspiring dreams."

I, of course, went to neither of these fine universities.

Kindest regards

Richard Debney

steevh

Post by steevh »

Another stamp-related dream ...

I was in Taiwan and had 24 hours to move out of my apartment, but had an entire storage room of stuff to sort through. A lot of it stamp-related, of course...

In one box I found a cover that had been posted Australia to UK using Canadian stamps. What a cheek, I thought. I looked closer, and found that in addition to the 3 regular stamps, the sender had used two revenue stamps (Quebec law-type). Even greater cheek!

But the really interesting thing was that all the stamps were perfined OHMS, even the law stamps. Wow, I thought, I've never seen OHMS perfined fiscals from Canada before, and put the envelope to one side to remember to take it with me.

steevh

Post by steevh »

Another stamp dream...

This time it was about 3-franc violet high value commems from France, late 1930s, that I hadn't really noticed before and was keen to get hold of.

"I have all these 1.75F or 2.25F blue ones, but what about this scattering of 3-franc violets? Haven't seen these before".

Of course, they only existed in that dream (in a catalogue), but very nice designs. I think I might have tried to find them on eBay.

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

I wonder if eBay bunnies ever dream of getting their money back, or whether it becomes a recurring nightmare?

steevh

Post by steevh »

Last night I dreamed I was a science student in Cambridge in the 1930s and was involved in making the rockets for rocket mail.
Can't recall any other details.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Has anyone here had any weird stamp related dreams?

Post by Global Administrator »

rabbit1 wrote:
FYI I am a normal person, just that I collect stamps.....
Those 2 statements just do not connect. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

acutipuerilis
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by acutipuerilis »

Car boot sale. Man and wife clearing out deceased relative's house, and a big, tatty box full of albums. Each album labelled as a different old German state: Lubeck, Oldenburg, Baden... A quick look through shows they're full of rare varieties, blocks, covers, flaws and errors.

"How much for the whole box?" "Oh, say a hundred quid - glad to be rid of 'em!"

Rats. Only £50 on me, and no ATM within miles. Then it starts raining... and they don't have any shelter.

So, they pack up and give me the box anyway. :mrgreen:
(Shame about the waking up part.)

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

The Texas perforation massacre, you are being sawed in half by a giant stamp with razor sharp perforations.

It is up there with the Texas Chainstore Mascara and the Drag B*tch project.
Militantly left wing and proud - but not a communist.

Jess Grover

Post by Jess Grover »

Last weekend, I dreamt I visited the opportunity shop in the town over from me. There was a stockbook in the rows of books. I opened it, thinking it might be good for my son, and there were page after page of imprint blocks, mainly KGV and Roos. Sorry, little fella - this is for Mum, I thought.
It was $5. Just $5. I handed over my cash and went home...and then I woke up. Sigh.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

No.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Stamp dream or nightmare?

This thread is featured this week on the Stampboards Facebook page 8)
See: Has anyone here had weird stamp related dreams
Please click link below to "Like" stampboards on FACEBOOK -
https://www.facebook.com/stampboards/

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

MargoZ wrote:Image
Stamp dream or nightmare?

This thread is featured this week on the Stampboards Facebook page 8)
See: Has anyone here had weird stamp related dreams

That is a nightmare as I would rather be suffocated by rarities than common kiloware :lol:

MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Tsk tsk ... this is literally part of Glen's $400 a kilo "Platinum Mix" kiloware.

He will be hugely offended when I finally dig him out :lol:

mosquito

Post by mosquito »

Here's one about a dream about lucky finds that did come true!

About 12 months ago I came across in a certain disposal area a where I live a LARGE pile of discarded stamps and albums from a collection obviously thrown away by the family of a deceased estate. When I say large I mean Large!

I estimated there was upwards 750,000 plus stamps in loose piles and numerous albums containing Roo's, KG, Aust states, and albums from all around the world, loose albums page with stamps, some late issues(up to 1970's) and some older(1860's and up),
All up it filled 1 1/2 ute loads stacked as high as poss.

When I came across then there was a possibility of rain so it was a mad loading frenzy to get them all out of the weather.

Currently my task is to sort through each and every on of them, discarding the damaged etc ones and filing the good ones in their countries of origin, a tedious task with tweezers! Could take me awhile I think

Yes a few gems have surfaced, singles and a lot of sets, sheets of mint stamps.
I know this sounds like a dream but it is true

steevh

Post by steevh »

mosquito wrote:Here's one about a dream about lucky finds that did come true!

About 12 months ago I came across in a certain disposal area a where I live a LARGE pile of discarded stamps and albums from a collection obviously thrown away by the family of a deceased estate. When I say large I mean Large!

I estimated there was upwards 750,000 plus stamps in loose piles and numerous albums containing Roo's, KG, Aust states, and albums from all around the world, loose albums page with stamps, some late issues(up to 1970's) and some older(1860's and up),
All up it filled 1 1/2 ute loads stacked as high as poss.

When I came across then there was a possibility of rain so it was a mad loading frenzy to get them all out of the weather.

Currently my task is to sort through each and every on of them, discarding the damaged etc ones and filing the good ones in their countries of origin, a tedious task with tweezers! Could take me awhile I think

Yes a few gems have surfaced, singles and a lot of sets, sheets of mint stamps.
I know this sounds like a dream but it is true
Pictures please.

mosquito

Post by mosquito »

Where or how do you post pics. Is it poss to make and album.

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

MargoZ wrote:Tsk tsk ... this is literally part of Glen's $400 a kilo "Platinum Mix" kiloware.

He will be hugely offended when I finally dig him out :lol:
To be honest, Margo, if you can get $400 a kilo for him, best get him bagged and sent out.

Live the dream. :D :D

MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

:lol: :lol: I'm still digging.....

mosquito

Post by mosquito »

Apologies for the pic quality but no scans yet still sorting. There were 7 of the chequered bags as seen in one of the pics full, as well as the albums ,catalogues and box's. Image

mosquito

Post by mosquito »

ImageImageImage. Got it this time

Cill Dara

Post by Cill Dara »

Yes, I freely admit to dreaming of stamps.........but only when awake. 8)

I also freely admit to oft being asleep when I buy old stamp lots.

My latest acquisitions were made from phone bids just before midnight on Wednesday at a rural auction house and there were still live bidders in the room.

steevh

Post by steevh »

Another very extensive stamp dream last night.

I was at my favorite stamp auction, but it was pretty bad this time, without a single good box lot. The most interesting thing I could find was a lot of fiscal usage of common Hungarian commems, on mortgages housed in lever arch files. So instead I helped the auctioneer by writing a jokey ad for his auction in French, as he said he'd like to get more overseas customers, took a long lunch and had a long chat with one of the dealers there.

steevh

Post by steevh »

Another stamp-related dream last night, but not on the collecting side.

Moscow late summer 1941. I'm working in a post office bureau. I've been told by my superiors that we are in desperate need of cash to fund the war effort, and what have we got in the way of stock to sell? I hunt high and low, and all I can find are a few partial sheets of semi-postals featuring Lenin.

I conclude that we will have to put out a new issue -- a semi-postal featuring Stalin, perhaps?

(No idea what would have provoked that.)

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Not stamp related, but a lot of Neil Diamond !!!!! related dreams lately. I usually dream of me hearing songs of his (His musiic I consider quite bland and generic) and wake up hearing lyrics from songs like Longfellow serenade and Shilo!! :lol: :?: :roll:

Most of my stamp dreams involve me buying rare stamps and then somehow losing them :(

Battyrat

Post by Battyrat »

Do not think it is a weird stamp dream.

It's just when I dream about my home town the old stamp shop is usually still there where it always was when I was a teenager. It closed in 1986. In the only dream can remember entering the shop itself I found myself as that care free 11 to 13 year old again. Trouble free and with a few pence in my pocket to spend on stamps. That penny box always had good stamps in it as a kid. :D
Loves to collect Lundy Island and 12 miles as straight as the Puffin flies South East another little island called England.

MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Just had a lot of laughs re-reading this older thread.
Has anyone had any other stamp-related dreams lately?

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

I had two stamp dreams last night.

In one, I was about to throw out a tatty old empty stockbook. I had a quick look through it to make sure it was empty & found quite a few pages with stamps, though nothing special.

In the other dream, I found some bicoloured Australian KGV Heads, where the King's head & surrounding shading lines were a different colour to the rest of the stamp.

I also have a recurring dream where I'm packing up to leave somewhere, and I'm trying to cram packets of loose stamps & piles of album pages into my luggage with all my clothes & stuff.
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”