Coronavirus impacting international mail services

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

drseg
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Re: Coronavirus impacting international mail services

Post by drseg »

The situation in Barbados:

"The Barbados Postal Service has advised that the Post Office will not be accepting mail for international destinations, as this service will be temporarily suspended.

This is due to the outbreak of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), which has resulted in a reduction and cancellation of flights, thereby reducing the transportation capacity for international mail.

However, incoming international mail, as well as mail posted locally will continue to be delivered
."

Source:
https://gisbarbados.gov.bb/blog/suspension-of-acceptance-of- ... I1HMpOXuz0

MJ's pet
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by MJ's pet »

Australia Post, 7 April 2020

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

https://auspost.com.au/about-us/news-media/important-updates ... ernational

Please note Australia Post will suspend its “Economy Air” international delivery service for parcels to all countries effective 3 April and until further notice.

As someone who mails more stuff overseas than most/all here, this one bites.

It means to ANYWHERE a stock-book of stamps etc or a catalogue must now go full 1st Class air. Like $100 for a large stockbook or SG catalogue etc. ''Economy air'' was essentially airmail, at a heavily reduced rate and I used it all the time.

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

starling

Post by starling »

The biggest change to today's (9th April) Australia Post update is that Canada now has the dreaded "4" next to it. No more mail from Canada to Australia.

I can't see any new European countries which have gone to Defcon 4.

Scott
Please visit my on-line store - http://www.scottstarling.com.au
-

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Scott -- yes foreshadowed here days back -
Global Administrator wrote:The Australia High Commission in Canada warned (below) that the last direct flight Canada-Australia ceased yesterday.

Sent A Mark a letter with a $90 KGV cover during the week, so hope it left before these bans!
Took in sendings to Spain and China today, both worth very many $100s apiece.

Staff told me NEITHER was accepting any kind of Extra Cover insurance sendings, or any signature on delivery or Registered service to EITHER country.

Well known and trusted clients, so needed to trust luck, used the free green CN22 labels, (that oddly are trackable in some countries) and declare for modest sums, so they do not get stolen by PO staff. :shock:

Sign of the times sadly. These will be OK I am sure, but for ebay sellers mailing to unknown buyers, they have lost their money before they even leave the POs!
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

Germany to UK seems to be working fine at the moment - received an ebay item this morning four days after posting.

That's the item itself, not the envelope it arrived in (which was undistinguished in every way!)

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

No changes yet to Australia Post's listing, the 9th April is still up. Interesting to see which restrictions start to be wound back and when.

Ricardsolan
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by Ricardsolan »

The post in Spain works with this situation. This is the message on the spanish post (correos) web:

Correos has implemented new organizational measures and action protocols in agreement with the Company's union organizations.

After the publication of Royal Decree 463/2020, of March 14, declaring the state of alarm for the management of the health crisis situation caused by COVID-19, the public company works to guarantee the provision of the Service Universal Postal as ordered.

Only strictly essential personnel will be operational to provide the public service, the only service to be developed.

The Post offices will open from 09:30 to 12:30, keeping all the protocols dictated by the health authorities.
Basketball googlesite catalogue:
https://sites.google.com/view/basketballstamps/go-to-continents
Collecting basketball stamps used or new.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Domestic interstate parcels are a NIGHTMARE the past fortnight. I saw a figure of 3000 TONS of mail backlogged at AP.

https://auspost.com.au/about-us/news-media/important-updates ... herImpacts

Lakatoi 4
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Just received a letter from NZ posted on 20 March. Almost a month to travel airmail across the ditch.
Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"

Vict0riann
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Vict0riann »

I ordered some stamps from Swan Philatelics a while ago. I was told they were mailed on April 11, and I tracked the package today. In 6 days, it has gone from Missouri to Chicago! It will probably be held up at the border.... maybe I'll get it next month? Do you suppose it's going by bus?

AMark

Post by AMark »

Latest news from Canada Post regarding domestic mail deliveries.

It does pay if you are humble and kind.
Join the November 2020 Cover Exchange ..... OR .... Join the November 2020 Postcard Exchange

beerwagen
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by beerwagen »

My latest experience is that it takes at least three weeks for a letter from UK to USA. Can someone in USA confirm this?
British Commonwealth philately - Aden to Zululand

FairyFoot
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by FairyFoot »

I know I've had some "normal" delivery times from US/Canada to Wales

Postmarked 30th March from Massachusetts arrived 23rd April
Postmarked 31st March from Edmonton in Canada arrived 20th April
Postmarked 2nd April from Tennessee arrived 23rd April
Written 2nd April from Ontario arrived 22nd April
Written 3rd April from Alabama arrived 20th April
Postmarked 4th April from Regina arrived 14th April
Postmarked 4th April from California arrived 15th April
Postmarked 4th April from New Mexico arrived 16th April
Postmarked 6th April from Virginia arrived 14th April
Postmarked 7th April from Colorado arrived 20th April
Written 9th April from BC arrived 20th April
Postmarked 11th April from Virginia arrived 22nd.
Postmarked 13th April from Wisconsin arrived 20th April
Postmarked 14th April from Philadelphia arrived 21st April
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I blog here. I also have a snailmail forum.

Vict0riann

Post by Vict0riann »

Yay. My package is in town. Now to see when it is delivered!

Ordered April 8. Mailed in Missouri April 11. In Chicago April 17. Now: "Your item has arrived at the delivering post office in CANADA at 8:42 am on April 24, 2020." I don't imagine it will be delivered today, but maybe Monday....

HalfpennyYellow

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

At the moment, are members in Europe receiving any mail at all from North America?

I had made a number of eBay purchases from the USA just before or around the time that the travel restrictions began, and I still haven't received items which were posted between 11 March and 2 April. I did however receive a lot from Brazil, but that had been sent in early/mid-March before the restrictions.

On the other hand, most mail from Europe itself seems to arrive without any problems. I have received mail from the UK, Germany and Belgium with no or only slight delays. However, I still haven't received some items purchased from Serbia on 12 March.
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by 22028 »

I just received an ebay item mailed from Canada, purchased on 18 April and marked shipped on the 22. April..., not bad...
Collecting Interests: Tibet, Nepal-Classic Issues, Iran-First Issue (Lion stamps), Iraq-Railway stamps 1928-1942, Overland Mail Baghdad - Haifa, SCADTA, the provisional Registration stamps issue 1921, Colombia, the private carrier stamps.

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

HalfpennyYellow wrote:At the moment, are members in Europe receiving any mail at all from North America?

I had made a number of eBay purchases from the USA just before or around the time that the travel restrictions began, and I still haven't received items which were posted between 11 March and 2 April. I did however receive a lot from Brazil, but that had been sent in early/mid-March before the restrictions.

On the other hand, most mail from Europe itself seems to arrive without any problems. I have received mail from the UK, Germany and Belgium with no or only slight delays. However, I still haven't received some items purchased from Serbia on 12 March.
Yes, still getting mail from US and Canada. See my previous post.

Today I received, postmarked 18th April from GA/US, and postmarked 30th March from Texas (also postmarked 26th April by RM, to celebrate that captain's fundraising efforts for his 100th birthday).
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I blog here. I also have a snailmail forum.

Ricardsolan

Post by Ricardsolan »

News from Spain
Post service works at 30%.
Last week Spain post service works at 10%. All goes better here.
Regards
Basketball googlesite catalogue:
https://sites.google.com/view/basketballstamps/go-to-continents
Collecting basketball stamps used or new.

librarianc
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by librarianc »

Received 2 parcels from OZ this week, dated February.

I guess they were mailed before the stuff hit the fan :shock:

John A
Armstrong'sStamps**http://www.armstrongsstamps.ca
Canada Errors, Freaks and Oddities (EFO) - Knowledge is Key.....Libraries work!

nota bene

Post by nota bene »

There are still registered letters from Hong Kong to Sweden and UK that I posted before service suspension on March 27 that have not yet arrived. (Posted March 21 and March 24 respectively)

I am currently HK based, and sending stuff within Asia is mostly still available by airmail/registered airmail. A few destinations are EMS express mail only (Japan being a notable one, South Korea was for a while). However many destinations in Europe and Americas are now SURFACE MAIL only. Hence my expected delivery time for eBay sales of cheaper items is 30-70 days by sea to US/Canada/most of EU.

Of course, any more expensive items I ship by Fedex or UPS as those are still working at somewhat normal speed.

aerogi
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by aerogi »

Since the start of the crisis we cannot send any letters or parcels from Belgium to outside Europe.

Normal priority letters within Europe are received as usual regarding timing, but registered letters takes an awful lot of time. It took 1 month to send a registered letter to France, and it took nearly 1,5 month for a registered letter to arrive to Croatia.

Post by 22028 »

Ricardsolan wrote:News from Spain
Post service works at 30%.
Last week Spain post service works at 10%. All goes better here.
Regards
Two days ago i received a registered letter from Spain, transit time about 2 week...
Collecting Interests: Tibet, Nepal-Classic Issues, Iran-First Issue (Lion stamps), Iraq-Railway stamps 1928-1942, Overland Mail Baghdad - Haifa, SCADTA, the provisional Registration stamps issue 1921, Colombia, the private carrier stamps.

mikotz

Post by mikotz »

aerogi wrote:Since the start of the crisis we cannot send any letters or parcels from Belgium to outside Europe.

Normal priority letters within Europe are received as usual regarding timing, but registered letters takes an awful lot of time. It took 1 month to send a registered letter to France, and it took nearly 1,5 month for a registered letter to arrive to Croatia.
May I ask if you know the starting date that mails cannot send out of Europe from Belgium? I am expecting a mail sent on Mar. 16 from Antwerp, and just wondering if it is still in transit or should I just give up hope ...

HalfpennyYellow

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

A small update... the item from Serbia arrived yesterday. It was a registered letter, and it took over 1½ months to arrive, but when I checked the tracking number there were no details whatsoever on where the item was after leaving Serbia in March and before arriving in Malta a few days ago. The situation seems to be similar to aerogi's registered letter from Croatia.

Still no sign of any mail from the United States.
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

Post by 22028 »

COVID-19 CONTINUITY OF OPERATIONS UPDATE FROM USPS

International Service Impact

Alternate Transportation: Air to Sea Diversion in Effect

The Postal Service will utilize sea transportation to address the issue of limited air transportation resulting from widespread flight cancellations and restrictions due to COVID-19. This option will remain in effect until sufficient air transportation capacity becomes available.

The first sea transport departed from the JFK International Service Center on April 20, 2020 and is estimated to arrive at the Rotterdam (Netherlands) port on May 7, 2020. Sea route arrival dates are not exact and may vary depending on weather related events and queuing at port of arrival. The vessel is carrying 6,036 receptacles in 5 containers weighing 32,768 kilograms. It is serving mail destined to:

• Austria • Denmark • Hungary • Poland • Sweden
• Czech • Finland • Netherlands • Spain • Switzerland

When calculating estimated delivery times, additional days required for unloading, customs clearance and road transit should be considered. The table below outlines a typical sea transit delivery cycle that begins upon arrival to the destined port:

Rotterdam Port Unloading: 1-2 Days
Rotterdam Port Custom Clearance /Clear Customs: 2 Days
Rotterdam Port Transit to Den Hague OE: 1 Day
Den Hague OE Acceptance & Sorting: 2-3 Days
Den Hague OE / Road Transit to Delivery Address: 1-4 Days

These service disruptions affect Priority Mail Express International® (PMEI), Priority Mail International® (PMI), First-Class Mail International® (FCMI), First-Class Package International Service® (FCPIS®), International Priority Airmail® (IPA®), International Surface Air Lift® (ISAL®), and M-Bag® items.

The Postal Service is closely monitoring the situation and will continue to update customers until the situation returns to normal. Please visit our International Service Alerts page for the most up to date information:

https://about.usps.com/newsroom/service-alerts/international/welcome.htm

Erinmania

Post by Erinmania »

As far as letter post from the USA,Germany and Ireland to the UK is concerned , if anything it is arriving faster than before the covid-19 outbreak.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

An airmail letter from Occussi-Ambeno New Zealand to Queensland Australia. 14 days.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

I've been expecting a fat envelope from NZ for ages (I don't have an
exact date, but probably four weeks ago) — no sign of it yet. :(

/RogerE

ToivoK
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!

Post by ToivoK »

Out of 15 eBay purchased from UK made from 7th to 13th of April so far 9 have arrived, including the latest purchase. One envelope which hasn't arrived is meant to be signed for.
Meanwhile Estonian inland mail arrives really fast but the postal rates are supposed to go up 40% starting from the next month :(

Not the best time to restart hobby...
My blog on philately http://toivostamps.blogspot.com

rehautala

Post by rehautala »

Received a letter back destined for New Zealand (from Canada).

The label states, "Temporary Suspension of Postal Services" - you may resend this letter once postal service resumes.

It does not indicate if NZ is not accepting Canadian mail or if Canada is not sending to NZ.

Anyone in NZ know if Canadian mail is no longer accepted?

AMark

Post by AMark »

rehautala wrote:Received a letter back destined for New Zealand (from Canada).

The label states, "Temporary Suspension of Postal Services" - you may resend this letter once postal service resumes.

It does not indicate if NZ is not accepting Canadian mail or if Canada is not sending to NZ.

Anyone in NZ know if Canadian mail is no longer accepted?
Surface mail from Canada to New Zealand is still accepted, but not AirMail. Your other option was, mailing your cover as Priority Mail (Which would have been probably be very expensive?). But that is your call. :)
It does pay if you are humble and kind.
Join the November 2020 Cover Exchange ..... OR .... Join the November 2020 Postcard Exchange

Wolfgang
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by Wolfgang »

I had a letter back that was sent to China:
Papua New Guinea stamps and postal history: https://www.i-ng.org
I am always interested in buying commercial mail from PNG.

drkohler

Post by drkohler »

HalfpennyYellow wrote:At the moment, are members in Europe receiving any mail at all from North America?
Got my journal by sea mail. That is not surprising as the entire Swiss fleet is grounded.

Looking at flightradar, I still see flights to/from USA/Canada from/to Great Britain and few to Germany so my guess is GB and some quota of Germany might still get mail roughly in time.

Kipling

Post by Kipling »

6 days for an auction lot from Danbury, Connecticut to Nambour, Queensland with Fed-Ex.

Not bad.

David Benson

Post by David Benson »

Has anyone seen any reports from Australia Post regarding mail going by sea instead of airmail.

It appears that airmail letters were sent by sea from late March but no reports of what is currently happening,

David B.

sebjarod
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by sebjarod »

Mail between Metropolitan France and the French Caribbean (Guadeloupe, Martinique) are now going though two different routes:
- airmail for express parcels and registered / follow-on-the-web mail,
- surface for anything else by containership.

In consequence, almost all mail from March arrived late April in these overseas départements.

Source: a Martinique newspaper, 30 April 2020.

Finchley Chris

Post by Finchley Chris »

David Benson wrote:Has anyone seen any reports from Australia Post regarding mail going by sea instead of airmail.

It appears that airmail letters were sent by sea from late March but no reports of what is currently happening,

David B.
8th May update from Australia post:

https://auspost.com.au/about-us/news-media/important-updates ... ernational

Continuing to deliver to these destinations via Sea Mail
In the below destinations, we are only able to offer delivery via Sea Mail for Standard Parcel and Letters and Economy Letters services. Australia Post is working to ensure that items reach their destinations as quickly as possible, however, protracted timeframes for delivery are to be expected:

Arab Emirates
Canada3
Cook Islands
Czech Republic1
Denmark1,3
Fiji
Finland
Greece3
Hungary
Israel
Nauru
New Caledonia1, 3
Papua New Guinea1
Portugal1, 3
Qatar
Saudi Arabia1
Slovenia1
Solomon Islands
Tonga
Vanuatu
Vatican

norvic

Post by norvic »

So if they are still flying to Sweden, presumably it is only surface from there to Finland - a short hop?
Or have no arrangements been made?
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Elsewhere, someone said that a letter from Australia to US reached him in two months.

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Today's (11th May) incoming:

WV/USA postage label says 27th March.
Norway, postmark 28th April
Prince Edward Island, no postmark but letter dated 26th April

DaveR

Post by DaveR »

International post from Singapore is OK.

Posted 18 Apr, arrived yesterday - just over 3 weeks.
The old Empire air mail routes are still running!

Post by 22028 »

Update from a letter shipped registered from Huston.

May 11, 2020, 8:54pm, ARRIVED AT TRANSIT FACILITY [DESTINATION COUNTRY] RANKFURT/M
May 8, 2020, 4:09pm, CANNED INTO SACK/CONTAINER, Melrose Park
May 8, 2020, 4:09pm, PROCESSING COMPLETED AT ORIGIN, Melrose Park
May 7, 2020, 2:38pm, CLOSE BAG, Melrose Park
May 7, 2020, 6:31am, PROCESSED, Melrose Park
May 6, 2020, 6:32am, PACKAGE RECEIVED AT DHL ECOMMERCE DISTRIBUTION CENTER Melrose Park
May 4, 2020, 7:17pm, Arrived at Consolidation Center. Shipment is being processed. ERLANGER, KY 41018
May 4, 2020, 8:25am, Out for Delivery, Expected Delivery by 8:00pm, ERLANGER, KY 41018
May 4, 2020, 8:14am, Arrived at Post Office, ERLANGER, KY 41018
May 4, 2020, 3:50am, Departed USPS Regional Facility, CINCINNATI OH DISTRIBUTION CENTER
May 3, 2020, 9:32pm, Departed USPS Regional Destination Facility, CINCINNATI OH DISTRIBUTION CENTER
May 3, 2020, 11:36am, Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility, CINCINNATI OH DISTRIBUTION CENTER
May 2, 2020, 12:00am, In Transit, Arriving On Time
May 1, 2020, 7:27pm, Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility, NORTH HOUSTON TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER
May 1, 2020, 6:12pm, Accepted at USPS Origin Facility, HOUSTON, TX 77067
Apr 30, 2020, 9:27am, Tracking number provided

So depend if Cusotms Office sniffs the letter and keeps it for collecting tax or releases it for delivery, i will get it in 2-7 days...

norvic

Post by norvic »

22028 wrote:Update from a letter shipped registered from Huston.

May 11, 2020, 8:54pm, ARRIVED AT TRANSIT FACILITY [DESTINATION COUNTRY] RANKFURT/M
May 6, 2020, 6:32am, PACKAGE RECEIVED AT DHL ECOMMERCE DISTRIBUTION CENTER Melrose Park
May 4, 2020, 7:17pm, Arrived at Consolidation Center. Shipment is being processed. ERLANGER, KY 41018
May 4, 2020, 8:25am, Out for Delivery, Expected Delivery by 8:00pm, ERLANGER, KY 41018

May 4, 2020, 3:50am, Departed USPS Regional Facility, CINCINNATI OH DISTRIBUTION CENTER
May 3, 2020, 9:32pm, Departed USPS Regional Destination Facility, CINCINNATI OH DISTRIBUTION CENTER
May 3, 2020, 11:36am, Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility, CINCINNATI OH DISTRIBUTION CENTER
May 1, 2020, 7:27pm, Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility, NORTH HOUSTON TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER

So depend if Cusotms Office sniffs the letter and keeps it for collecting tax or releases it for delivery, i will get it in 2-7 days...
Do you know what the lines I have highlighted mean?
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Today, received a letter finished on 10th May posted in Finland.

Post by 22028 »

norvic wrote:
22028 wrote:Update from a letter shipped registered from Huston.

Do you know what the lines I have highlighted mean?
Honestly, no idea..., it is all in USA..., i can imagine however that is a DHL / USPS exchange office or something like that...

chrisclifford

Post by chrisclifford »

Two eBay winnings arrived today (Buckinghamshire UK) both from the same seller. One postmarked 23.APR Kingsville West Victoria, and the other -4.May Kingsville West Victoria. So one was slow the other about right.

David Benson

Post by David Benson »

Australia Post has got it's act together since all flights were cancelled in mid March. Mail is arriving overseas within a reasonable time. There is a notice at my local Post Office stating that international mail has delays. I presume it is still going by sea but at a regular basis instead of the delays that occurred in mid to late March as sea containers were disorganised until arrangements could be made,

David B.

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Today:

Kookaburra maxicard 21st April 2020 from Australia
England, 2nd class, postmark 12th May

erich

Post by erich »

International service to/from the US appears to be deteriorating. It was fairly normal in March/early April, but now I have waited a few weeks to both receive some items and also hear that something I sent was delivered.

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”