Congratulations to all, on the recent major StampBoards Upgrade

Discussion of anything you like. Sport, stamps, politics, religion, weather, world disasters, news articles - whatever. Things generally NOT stamp related belong in here. Please keep it CIVIL and polite though! We encourage lively discussion on all things.

Moderators: gmoney, Volunteer Moderator Team

castores
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Congratulations to all, on the recent major StampBoards Upgrade

Post by castores »

I'd just like to say to all those behind the scenes - a big Thank You!

The new board works well, and it is wonderful to leave the days of posting hosted images elsewhere behind us.

So Mr. Tech (Yuriy?), a wonderful job with that, and all the other new additions.

And thanks to Glen for putting all this in place (and just so you don't have to get another superfluous email from me and can read this at your leisure - all good, I'll see whether I get one or two packages on arrival :D ).

Everyone is welcome to add their thanks if they wish.
Hadron C, I had a thought
Hadron C, I had a million thoughts

Ballaratgold4
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Re: StampBoards Upgrade

Post by Ballaratgold4 »

It is a wonderful upgrade. Much easier to find my way around, and the upgrade for image uploads seems to be a big improvement.

Keep up the great work.

I find this website full of information at my fingertips. :D :D :D :D

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Congratulations to all on the recent StampBoards Upgrade

Post by Global Administrator »

castores wrote:
19 Jun 2020 16:25
I'd just like to say to all those behind the scenes - a big Thank You!

The new board works well, and it is wonderful to leave the days of posting hosted images elsewhere behind us.

So Mr. Tech (Yuriy?), a wonderful job with that, and all the other new additions.

And thanks to Glen for putting all this in place

The $US 4 figure sum spent in last month on new servers and hosting costs etc, is all down to me, and always has been so for 15 years, and I never had an issue with funding that. :D

This board hence costs no member one cent at any time, no matter how useful it is to them! Whether buying/selling/swapping, or seeking and sharing info etc.

However, I have no idea how all this back end stuff works, and what you see this week is entirely down to Yuriy in New York, so please Crowd Fund a few Pizzas and beers his way, if you like all the enormous progress, crisp new look, and new ease of use, and large size, magic direct image sharing new systems, that his fine work has just just bought us all!

50 or 100 members doing that, will part cover his 100 hours of tech expertise spent on this huge rescue. :lol:

He is one of the head developers globally of this phpBB board skeleton, used by millions of boards worldwide, and has customised this version entirely for our needs - larger fonts given our demographic, many different navigation buttons, very special attention to images, and many other features not immediately obvious.

There are no free lunches in life, and our very generous members here will I am sure, pitch in to this truly excellent cause. We ALL benefit from this skilled and totally custom designed for our particular needs overhaul. :mrgreen:

Even if you paypalled a Pizza before, send another, if you are still finding cool new features as you road test this wonderful new board. PEOPLE POWER! :)

Global Administrator wrote:
02 Jun 2020 13:43

All of this is only possible when we have a phpBB Whizz like Yuriy to assist - I am a Total Tech Trog, have no idea at all on this stuff, and have never even sent a text message. If it were up to my 'skills', we'd be using blunt chisels and sandstone tablets to post our messages here!

Yuriy truly deserves a few gallons of strong coffee, and a car load of pizzas for battling for ENDLESS hours on this over recent months, to make our FREE board 5 times better, more usable and more robust overnight. Several members have asked me for his PayPal address to send him a little personal "Thank You" for his amazing work here, to fund the strong coffee (or whatever!) and Pizzas, and I am sure he will not mind at all - yuriy [at] rusko.org (Think of it as your oblique Membership Fee or Crowd Funding.) :lol:

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

johnrcrow
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by johnrcrow »

Glen. Well done to all involved in the upgrade.

I will PayPal some funds - (checking that yuriy [at] rusko.org is the correct address)?

John

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Thanks for your support John, yes that is correct PayPal address - ANY currency will work .. Yuriy will enjoy the Austria Pizza!

He did an amazing job here, and it was about a month in preparation and endless back end testing behind the scenes - truly huge amount of work. Most members would be amazed at how big a change it was, and moving it all across to the new servers was a story in itself :)

To be able to load large images like this in 10 seconds right off your device, with no photobucket, IMGUR, ImageShack or IMGBOX etc, with all their issues and fees etc, is a vast leap forward!

ALL members really owe him a Pizza and a beer - Crowd Funding for a great cause, at its best!

Glen

Yuri will enjoy the Pizzas and Beers - he deserves them!
Yuri will enjoy the Pizzas and Beers - he deserves them!
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

johnrcrow

Re: Congratulations to all, on the recent major StampBoards Upgrade

Post by johnrcrow »

Sent a €25 token family and friends.

Should get a pizza from that at least.

John

Gismo
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Gismo »

exellent job by Yuriy

/Michael
19-Jun-20_Pro492.jpg

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Well done folks. :D

This really is a great and generous COMMUNITY we have there. :mrgreen:

Lovely clean modern look, and no pop-up and intrusive ads everywhere, even among posts, as on some boards. All due to Yuriy's many weeks of highly skilled hard work behind the scenes, in setting it all up. :!:

Glen

castores

Post by castores »

I don't know where or how you came across Yuriy, but Well Done Glen!

And Yuriy, if you read these posts - I'm using direct image/attachments more than anything now that you've added/upgraded, and I am amazed at how easy it is!

What a job (millions of images and 6.5 million posts, etc)

Thanks To Yuriy!

MarkM
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by MarkM »

Absolutely agree with how good this new version is. Well done to all involved.

jeneralist

Post by jeneralist »

Excellent upgrade - crisp clear interface and fast response times.

Thank you Yuriy, Glen and all the team.
Jeneralist

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

castores wrote:
20 Jun 2020 19:19
I don't know where or how you came across Yuriy, but Well Done Glen!

And Yuriy, if you read these posts - I'm using direct image/attachments more than anything now that you've added/upgraded, and I am amazed at how easy it is!

What a job (millions of images and 6.5 million posts, etc)

Thanks To Yuriy!

Yuriy is based in New York, and is one of the Development Heads of the entire phpBB system, used in 30 million places globally.

It is a HIGHLY complex world of complicated codes and programming jargon - see if you can make ANY sense of ANY of this stuff! :lol: :lol: :lol: -- >>

http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=81

Yuriy is not a stamp collector even - I contacted those Tech Development boards to raise the image hosting issue, for future updates of the software, which was never a priority on most of their boards - seems stamp collecting is super image intensive, and no one else cares much. :mrgreen:

It was absurdly primitive as it stood. "Quoting" any images down thread did not work, (we use that a lot here) and sizes possible was erratic etc. Anyway it got the Global Development Team there looking at things, and our enquiries helped get this far more user friendly software added to the system.

We made contact with Yuriy over this issue years back, and he looked in on this board, and seemed to like our friendly Community here. And has fixed many issues quietly behind the scenes. But this update was the MAJOR step, with moving across to the huge new faster servers as part of it, making it a ton more complex. What you are seeing now is 100 hours of behind the scenes work this year.

Glen

Yuriy deserves a few more beers and Pizzas!

doc
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by doc »

A couple of Pizzas from me to Yuriy as well - boy what a MAJOR upgrade that occurred here. :D
Thank for reading - doc

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Thanks for the generous support folks. :)

EVERYONE reading this has benefited greatly from this major upgrade and overhaul! You owe Yuriy a Pizza and beer. :mrgreen:

Glen

scrute

Post by scrute »

I also sent a donation to Yuriy as a thank you.

I have really enjoyed the ease of use, and timesaving, that the new image loading system has allowed me.

And thanks very much to Glen as well.

Thanks again

Thomas
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by Thomas »

Agree with all others - a great job with this huge upgrade - a few Pizzas sent to Yuriy from me too. :)

castores

Post by castores »

Yuriy, 50 Aussie dollars from me to you.

Please know your fine work behind the scenes here is really appreciated.

Hot Pizza and cold beers! Enjoy :D

Everyone... thank Yuriy... thanks Yuriy!

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Question: I had a period of loss of access to Stampboards tonight, and when I found I could regain access it appeared that some recent posts were lost. Did anyone else have this experience?

/RogerE :D

P.S. "View your posts" has also failed to open.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Yuriy was busy. Being dealt with.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

castores

Post by castores »

500 Posts, $50 to Yuriy. (see above)

Just saying...............

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Ubobo.R.O. wrote:
05 Jul 2020 00:16
Yuriy was busy. Being dealt with.
Puffin, was this a guess, or do you have a special pipeline to Yuriy?
And is Yuriy being dealt with, or is the problem being dealt with?

Just kidding Yuriy, we do appreciate you. ;)

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

castores wrote:
30 Jun 2020 21:23
Yuriy, 50 Aussie dollars from me to you.

Please know your fine work behind the scenes here is really appreciated.

Hot Pizza and cold beers! Enjoy :D

Everyone... thank Yuriy... thanks Yuriy!

Well done. :)

Hopefully others here keeping taking your lead. :!: :!:

Glen

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Sheriff and Yuriy, the new Stampboards has been working nicely, and a few running repairs seem to have taken place in the background recently — thank you!

Please note: My recent experience has been much slower turn-around. Selecting an item in "Notifications" or pressing "Submit" for a new post seems to result in a lot of wheel-spinning before the expected view appears. One unintended side-effect is to forget that you've already sent a command, and unintentionally resend it, resulting in double postings, for example.

This seems to be the experience of other users as well, not just a problem with my own internet connection. I hope that a "fix" is possible. Thanks for thinking about/looking into this...

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

RogerE wrote:
30 Jul 2020 16:27
not just a problem with my own internet connection.

Really?

Our apologies for your apparent local lack of blindingly fast speed. Of course it is at your end.

However, we will get a few Tech vans and ladders and diggers and teams onto your alleged issue immediately. It might mean the street needs to be dug up, and new NBN nodes installed, but nothing is too much for us so that your FREE board works even better than ever, now at NASA level speeds.

Are your power and water and TV all working OK Roger, while we are onto this? Any gardening or roof painting or swapping over of light bulbs that we can organise whilst there? NOTHING is too much trouble for us Roger.

Winning that superb pair used FREE pair of 1840 1d Blacks etc, FREE Stamp News subscriptions, and all sort of other goodies at ZERO cost to you EVER, is not nearly enough member reward I am sure. We will do better. A Volunteer Task Force is being assembled, as we speak.

Admin

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Glen, you misattributed: "Winning that superb pair used FREE pair of 1840 1d Blacks" — Who won that pair? It wasn't me....

I also said: "Sheriff and Yuriy, the new Stampboards has been working nicely, and a few running repairs seem to have taken place in the background recently — thank you!"

It was just a polite piece of feedback.

To clarify: I meant to be understood as saying that this slower response was a recent development (in the last few days only), as compared with the performance of the new Stampboards since its launch.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

That really is the very BEST you can do???

You are correct - the 55 generously donated superb prizes from members (none of which were donated from RogerE naturally) were near HALF won by RogerE -

https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=86133

Why do I remember that? WHY - as I then spent endless HOURS due to it, fielding pretty hostile (or worse) emails from members, and many of the generous donors, venting how unfair it was that TWENTY FOUR different superb and valuable donated prizes, could possibly be won by one member.

And none were donated back to the next closest guesses in line etc, as is customary and usual in such cases. That never occurred of course, as all can see on link above. Maybe RogerE was also way too busy whining to someone about his computer speeds then as well?

Thanks (??) for reminding me - I had nearly forgotten that ugly mess. :roll: :roll:

Roger wants us (at ZERO cost to him, as usual) to NASA upgrade our already very heavily beefed up USA servers, to save him getting a new broadband plan etc. It is all to be totally our issue and cost of course. Nothing to do with his Telco he assures us. :roll:

But hey, our alleged appalling speed at your end was plenty fast enough for you then, and all the other times the freebies rolled out. How easily some folks forget. :idea: :idea:

In the meantime, I just sent yet another beer and Pizza to Yuriy as thanks for making all this happen so brilliantly.

I am thankful we have some members who give back so much to make things better for all. Not near smooth enough for one exacting member, but no-one else seems to mind.

Now, back to doing some real stamp work here, to pay for those Pizzas. Maybe RogerE would like some too? :evil:

Glen

Return to “'The Water Cooler' - A relaxing and FUN place to let off some steam ......”